Canadian Athletes: Too Humble?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Are Canadian Athletes Too Humble

No.........Humility is good
81%
Yes........we need a Michael Phelps type of athlete
19%

Total votes: 16
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

One thing that I've seen over and over again are Canadian athletes being humble about Olympic successes. That leads me to one idea: Are Canadian athletes too humble?
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

You don't have to be loud to get your message across......sometimes a smile speaks volumes.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
kamfan
Starter

I believe it was our own Jason Clermont that once said something about scoring a touchdown and acting like you have been there before. Class really does separate us from others.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I think one of the enduring Olympic images I've ever seen was of Beckie Scott receiving her bronze medal at the 2002 games, with a smile big enough to light the world, standing beside the Russian gold and silver medallists, both looking like glum statues.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I believe the best response to this question is still an answer that is often used: it depends. It depends on the individual athlete, and I believe every country has its share of humble and arrogant athletes.

As an example of a Canadian athlete who isn't very humble, look at Donovan Bailey. He seemed to taunt American rival Michael Johnson everytime he beat him.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

humility
is for me
unless you be
like ali

:rockin:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Then there's the case of Rick Sey, the captain of the Canadian swim team who went off on a tirade after the entire Canadian swim team severely underperformed at Athens 2004.

It was necessary for Sey to go off on Swim Canada and the COC to say that losing and the staus quo was clearly not something Canadians should stand pat with.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Hey, from what I read, the US women's hockey team pretty much went ballistic on the rest of the organization after their poor showing as well, blaming pretty much the entire management structure.

To err is human, to blame someone else is even more human, I guess.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
MacNews
Team Captain

I think humility is good because there's only one place where it counts: The medal standings. Having one Roenick or Miller on the team is good for morale though, I think he sticks up for the team.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Give me one Cindy Klassen over a hundred Roenicks any day....and twice on Sunday.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:As an example of a Canadian athlete who isn't very humble, look at Donovan Bailey. He seemed to taunt American rival Michael Johnson everytime he beat him.
Wasn't Johnson the guy with the memorable quote that they (the Americans) didn't lose but finish second in the race behind the Canadians. To which Bailey responded "they don't get it. We beat them in the 100 metres and we beat them in the men's relay" :lol: