2019-20 Vancouver Canucks/NHL Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's always a debatable topic as to exactly how much of a positive effect home ice advantage is. But in this playoffs, the only teams that had home ice advantage were the Edmonton Oilers in their Rogers Place and the Toronto Maple Leafs in their Scotiabank Arena. But in those cases, the teams didn't have any fan support either and the onlyi advantage was that they were familiar with their arena which has very minimal advantage.

But with the elimination of both the Edmonton Oilers and the Toronto Maple Leafs, then there won't be any home ice advantage as it will be neutral venue for the remaining teams. There won't be any "winning" home ice advantage.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:27 am
It's always a debatable topic as to exactly how much of a positive effect home ice advantage is. But in this playoffs, the only teams that had home ice advantage were the Edmonton Oilers in their Rogers Place and the Toronto Maple Leafs in their Scotiabank Arena. But in those cases, the teams didn't have any fan support either and the onlyi advantage was that they were familiar with their arena which has very minimal advantage.

But with the elimination of both the Edmonton Oilers and the Toronto Maple Leafs, then there won't be any home ice advantage as it will be neutral venue for the remaining teams. There won't be any "winning" home ice advantage.
actually, this is the one sport where home ice advantage is not just about the crowd. When you are tied 3-3 in games, you want to have the last change advantage going into the last game. There has been a "home" ice advantage in every game.
Be interesting to know the stats on how that worked out.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Solid performance by the ;canucks: against the defending champions. Continue this good performance and they will advance to the next round.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good redemption win in game 2 in OT after blowing 2-0 and 3-1 leads. May this good momentum continue to game 3. :thup:
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Great comeback from a 3-1 deficit with three unanswered goals and a 3-2 lead now. :beauty:
Now, one more win to advance in the series. :cheer:
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:14 pm
Great comeback from a 3-1 deficit with three unanswered goals and a 3-2 lead now. :beauty:
Now, one more win to advance in the series. :cheer:
great game. I was on pins and needles all through the 3rd period.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I praise and commend the Dallas Stars for composing themselves after being in a 0-3 deficit with the Calgary Flames to score 7 unanswered goals to take a 7-3 win and the series.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, the comments of Calgary fans were interesting to say the least.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Congratulations and way to go ;canucks: !!!

:towel: :yahoo: :beer:

Well done by taking a quick 4-0 and unlike the Flames, never looked back. They didn't intimidated and kept their composure after the Blues tied the series by fighting back in game 5 from a deficit and playing superbly in game 6 to finish off the defending champions.

May they do just as well and may their momentum continue against the Golden Knights! :good:
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

yee haww
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well I am probably the best of the fair weather fans of this team. I try not to watch them because I am convinced I am a jinx and so far that seems to be helping. I was reading a fan forum from another team earlier tonight and though normally very antagonistic towards the Canucks, posters there were actually saying that they were finding it very hard to hate this team. That's something when you can get that kind of admission from Canuck haters. So congrats to them on a great effort so far and I think those who are able to watch the next series are in for some great entertainment.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

In light of both the recent and past discussions about good present and past BC Lions players, and as the Canucks have advanced in the playoffs for the first time in nine years, how about a discussion on any spotlight on a current Canucks player?

I'll start off by saying I've developed a lot of respect and praise for Centre Elias Pettersson as he's very hard working and dedicated player as finishes off the second season. He deservedly won the Calder Memorial trophy as best rookie last season and while he doesn't appear to be in any way arrogant or too prideful after winning that award. It he continues this good performance in the years to come, I'd akin him to his Swedish compatriot Markus Naslund.

That said, I don't see too many Pettersson Canuck jerseys around and he doesn't appear to be in the same level of a heartthrob for teenage girls the way Pavel Bure was when he was a Canuck.
祝你龍年行大運。
BC 1988
Legend

Berube's decision to start Binnington was a head-scratcher. I get that he wanted to show faith in him as the #1 goalie, but this was hardly the time to do that.

It was great to see where the Canucks goal scoring came from: Beagle, Roussel, Stecher, 2 from Motte (bringing his series total up to 4) as well as the expected Boeser. They will need balanced scoring from all their lines if they are to have a chance against Vegas.

VGK are not stumbling like the Blues were coming into this series, and for the moment appear to have a 1A/1B goaltending tandem.
Dusty
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:13 am
I try not to watch them because I am convinced I am a jinx and so far that seems to be helping.
Haha, I'm in the exact same situation.... I do not want to watch or listen and I avoid any knowledge of the game as when I have watched or listen to their games, they have sank like a stone. I'll catch the highlights after the game.

My motto is "Doing what I can't to help the Canucks succeed!".....

Interestingly, one of my friends does the same thing with the Lions....
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

If I want to help my teams win, I bet against them. Cant afford to do that as much as I would like too.