2019-20 Vancouver Canucks/NHL Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

For what it's worth, the Canucks will start their playoffs this coming Sunday against the Wild:

Sunday, Aug. 2: Wild vs. Canucks, 7:30 p.m. PT – NBCSN
Tuesday, Aug. 4: Wild vs. Canucks, 7:45 p.m. PT – USA Network
Thursday, Aug. 6: Canucks vs. Wild, TBD
Friday, Aug. 7: Canucks vs. Wild*, TBD
Sunday, Aug. 9: Wild vs. Canucks*, TBD

It will be the first time since the 1985-86 playoffs that there's going to be a best of 5 series.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
BC 1988
Legend

One warm up (can't call it preseason) game per team will be played today-Thursday. Most of them won't be on TV, but TOR-MTL and EDM-CGY tonight and VAN-WPG tomorrow night will be.
https://www.nhl.com/schedule

I'm looking forward to seeing what a "made for TV " game will look like. I watched a couple of the Raptors exhibition games and the sidelines are very different, but NHL will be going a step further.
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/295 ... nd-restart

Another thing I like will be no playoff brackets --I wish they would go back to reseeding every year. Bettman grudgingly relented just because of the unique circumstances of the "play-in round".
BC 1988
Legend

https://globalnews.ca/news/7232624/canu ... s-layoffs/
Canucks layoff at least 25% of their staff for now. They know there is no chance of fans/stands until the new year at the earliest. (as per the COVID-19 health directive of "no mass gatherings ".)

They hung on longer than I thought they would. There was no indication that things were going to improve earlier. I remember back in May reading the results of physical distancing modeling for Rogers Arena and that the numbers were too low to be worthwhile.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

so, how do you like it so far
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BC 1988
Legend

I am very impressed by the whole NHL bubble TV presentation so far. With the camera angles, the absence of a crowd becomes unnoticeable. The EDM/CHI game tonight was particularly riveting. McDavid watching from the bench when Toews scored the winner--and Chelsea Dagger driving home the point.

The dressing up of the boards and ice surface to match each "home" team is meticulous. The simulated arena sound is just enough (in contrast to the really annoying MLS Is Back background sounds) to provide atmosphere. I noticed in the first warmup game in Toronto (watched it online) they had a panoramic shot that showed all the Leafs honored numbers banners. They haven't done that since--I thought it was too distracting since this is not about the host team's history. There were also quite a few unedited swear words that were clearly audible in those games--I think they are employing a delay now to beep most of them in the "real" games.

IMO, this will not be an asterisk Stanley Cup winner. For most of the teams it will take 19 wins and 5 rounds, not 16 and 4. There has already been a high injury toll, and players are very much into the emotion of the competition.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Scoreless after one period in the matinee game
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canucks leading 1-0 after two periods
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

c'mon, the suspense is killing me. How did it end??
Dusty
Champion

While I do not follow hockey or the Canucks, I do wish them well in the playoffs. No matter if it is Football, Hockey, Baseball or Soccer, the playoffs or whatever the road to a championship takes becomes a fun time of the year with an increased jump among sports fans.

And often in hockey, the hardest series to win is the first one and the hardest game of the series to win is when you have a 2-1 lead in a best of five series. Perhaps the Canucks can put away the Wild tonight. Canucks hockey fans will breathe a sigh of relief.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well done ;canucks: to fight back from the series as well as fighting back from a 3-1 and 4-3 deficits to win their first playoff round series since 2011. Scoring in OT eleven seconds in certainly brings back memories of game 2 in the 2011 final.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
BC 1988
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:03 pm
Well done ;canucks: to fight back from the series as well as fighting back from a 3-1 and 4-3 deficits to win their first playoff round series since 2011. Scoring in OT eleven seconds in certainly brings back memories of game 2 in the 2011 final.
Crazy 14 hours of hockey, 5 teams advance 3-1. Only TOR manages to force a game 5. Chris Tanev picks the purrfect time to score the first playoff goal of his career.

Canucks will have to wait until the Round-Robin games are done Sunday before they know who their opponent will be in the next round.
https://www.nhl.com/stanley-cup-qualifiers
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Markstrom was awful tonight allowing 3 bad goals. What's with Myers ? 9 penalties in the series
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, I guess there is a reason they play the games. My brother in law is a hockey guru. He studies the drafts, the trades and follows the league closely. He was predicting a Canucks loss based largely on the youth factor of the Canucks vs the Wild. Well that didn't work out so well. However I will say this. Going forward, the Canucks are going to have to stop the unnecessary penalties. The Wild hurt them on the penalty kill, imagine what a really skilled team would do. The Wild are a very ho hum squad offensively so the Nucks may have gotten away with it somewhat. That won't happen again.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

My guess is that they will be playing Dallas
BC 1988
Legend

It came down to an OT Shoot-out in the final round-robin game, but the Canucks will face the Blues in the next round of the playoffs. Dallas moves into 3rd spot in the West with the SO win and will face the Flames.

The round-robin ended up flipping the top seeds in both Conferences--1st place Boston and St Louis both ended up 4th.
https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/08/09/20 ... ualifiers/