Super Bowl LI Thread, 20170205

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TD White. Tie game.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can Ryan mount a winning drive ?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Very first overtime in a Super Bowl.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Patriots win. Amazing.

Both teams absolutely great. The Falcons, of course, screwed up the FG situation, but played their brains out. Loaded with skill, intensity and talent.

Brady and Belichick do it again.

Quinn, Ryan, Jones and Freeman will be back. They are very tough.

I think the Falcons took the foot off the pedal. It is hard to hold a lead in pro sports. The team behind goes hard. The team ahead plays safe.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Doesn't seem fair to win a championship on a coin toss.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

what a choke job. pure stupidity.

they had the game won. just two more runs and a FG, game over. instead that idiot ryan drops back an takes a sack.

if I didn't know any better, I would think he threw the game.

mvp...pffft
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Doesn't seem fair to win a championship on a coin toss.
at that point, Atlanta didn't deserve to win anyhow.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It seems to me Bradshaw fumbles around in commentary. But I thought he was good in the post game interviews on the stage with Kraft, Brady and White. Focus on the celebration. Laughter and happiness. Questions they can answer, even though the emotions are in shock.

Hambone and South Pender,

Maybe, Belichick opened up a tiny, little bit after. Maybe. Smiling and laughing anyway.

South Pender
Legend

Well, no one can say it wasn't an exciting game, even if we did have to wait a while for it to get that way!

At halftime, I was thinking it's just like SB48 when the brash, young, and talented Seahawks put the wood to the veteran, experienced Broncos. I thought that the Falcons looked a lot like that 2013 'Hawks team--lots of young talent with terrific speed. I'm not sure just went wrong for the Falcons in the second half. Maybe just playing a better, determined team that wasn't willing to lose.

The better team won; they put up 546 yards of total offense to only 344 for the Falcons. Belichick and Brady have probably cemented their reputations as the best ever. I think I'd see it that way.

Feel sad for Dan Quinn (and the whole Falcons team for that matter). He's done a great job in Atlanta, and this must be tough for him. Still, they're a young and very talented team, and they'll be back in the thick of things in the 2017 season.

One sour note: Did you guys see that pathetic piece of cheap, cheesy plastic (at least it looks like plastic) that is the Lombardi Trophy being passed around? Hard to believe that the NFL can't do better than that.

Lombardi Trophy:

as opposed to what a classy championship trophy would look like, one that reflects the rich tradition of the game (the Grey Cup):

Late edit: Just read somewhere that the Lombardi trophy is sterling silver, so have to slightly modify my above comments. It just looks cheap and plasticky.... :wink:
Last edited by South Pender on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You might think that for the Superbowl they might have a slightly better OT format . Also didn't the pats call the opening coin toss. I thought they did. If so, why did they get the call Again?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:You might think that for the Superbowl they might have a slightly better OT format . Also didn't the pats call the opening coin toss. I thought they did. If so, why did they get the call Again?
Probably because the owner Robert Kraft and Tom Brady are friends with Donald Trump :wink:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:You might think that for the Superbowl they might have a slightly better OT format . Also didn't the pats call the opening coin toss. I thought they did. If so, why did they get the call Again?
it really doesn't matter who calls it, still 50 50 who wins.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Mostly right but sometime I like to have a choice. Call it gut, intuition or even preference. Just wondering why both coin tosses seemed to go to same team.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:what a choke job. pure stupidity.

they had the game won. just two more runs and a FG, game over. instead that idiot ryan drops back an takes a sack.

if I didn't know any better, I would think he threw the game.

mvp...pffft
Completely agree. An epic collapse by the Falcons. Will remember them losing it more than Pats winning it.

Up 8 points and 1st down on NE 22 with 4:47 remaining after Jones' amazing sideline catch!
A FG all but clinches it, never mind 3 straight running plays forcing NE to burn their remaining timeouts. Yet, Shannahan goes brain dead and calls pass plays on 2nd and 3rd down resulting in a sack and holding call taking them back 23 frickin yards and out of FG range.

Great comeback by NE but two of their Super Bowl victories will be remembered how their opponents somehow lost the game.
CardiacKid
Legend

Only watched the half-time show and the final quarter (not really a follower of the NFL) and what I saw was entertaining. Not sure how it stacked up against the rest of the game or how the game as a whole stacked up against Super Bowls of the past but do folks think it was a classic as it has been described?

Not to knock the game but if CFL naysayers want to point to Super Bowl LI as a reason why they follow Lower 48 Ball instead of the True North Strong and Free version; I will say in all sincerity that the 104th Grey Cup was a damn entertaining game that I think the NFL will never surpass in a century of Sundays.

I was a little disappointed the half-time show was NOT a complete hot mess. It actually was entertaining on purpose...and I am not really a Lady Gaga fan. Well maybe next year will see the return of "Up With People" or "Shiny Happy Folks" or whatever the hell their name is.....