A reg season NFL game in Vancouver?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nfl ... ason-games

Excerpts:
NEW YORK – Canada is on the shortlist of countries the NFL is considering for one-off regular-season games.

But it wouldn’t happen any time soon. Canada has to take a number and wait in line, behind Mexico and Germany at least.

Mark Waller, the NFL’s executive vice-president of international, told Postmedia on Tuesday morning that Toronto and maybe Vancouver would be Canadian host-city candidates.
...Canada probably wouldn’t get a chance to host a regular-season game until late this decade at the earliest. More likely in the 2020s.
Of all teams that might play here, Vancouver would no doubt get a Seahawks game if this comes to pass, but by the time it comes around their current window of competitiveness will likely have closed so perhaps it might not be quite the attraction that it would be right now.

My recollection is that at one point Braley had first right of refusal on NFL hosting rights here but this may no longer be the case and with the expected arrival of this game several years from now — by which point Braley will be pushing 80 and the Lions will almost certainly have long since been bought by another owner — it may become a moot point anyway.

I suspect if and when it does come to pass, whoever pulls it off will probably learn from the mistakes of Rogers' Bills in Toronto series and make it a more attractive product for the ticket-buying fan, notwithstanding the aforementioned likely window closure.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

In fact, you could almost guarantee that before the Seahawks ever play up here, they would have to be no longer competitive. Either that, or the amount of money that would be required have them play here would have to be to enormous to even contemplate and what for? So we can have a one off probably mean nothing game? Something so we can give a financial shot in the arm to two franchises of one of the richest leagues in the world? I suppose it would be novel and at the end of the day it won't be my money going to support it but either we are for the NFL in Canada or we aren't. I can't help but see such games as a subtle way of testing markets for possible expansion even if that expansion is 20 years or 30 years off. It would be a death knell for the CFL and frankly, I have no interest in even testing the waters if there is a chance it might stoke possible expansion discussions in the future. It is one of the reasons that the Toronto Bills experiment was so divisive. Fortunately, that fell on it's arse but only at the cost of millions.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
aklawitter
All Star

Half the league wouldn't make it across the border :rules: :tease:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not all that interested.

I've seen some NFL games in the USA.

32 teams now. Way too many. It might take 100 years for some of those teams to win a title.

12 teams would be about right. LOL As it was back in 1959. Unitas leading a strong Colts offence, and team. Huff leading a strong Giants defence, and team.

Bigger is not always better.

10 teams in the CFL would be very, very nice. Max out at 12 at some distant time.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Ugh. Forget it. It's not that I need to consume a bunch of alcohol to enjoy a sporting event but a lot of the fun of going to Seahawks games is getting down early to the Triangle and having a few cheap to reasonably priced bevvies and revelling in the gigantic street party atmosphere. When out on the street, as long as your refreshment is in a solo cup the police are cool. There's not a hope of that with our uptight rules and insane prices. We are not willing to replicate that atmosphere so the attraction isn't there. Just as soon go there, than NFL come here. Pass.
Passaglia
All Star

No way I can see the Seahawks giving up one of their home dates. Even for here. At least not as long as they are this competitive. Maybe one of their road opponents who has trouble selling out in the next few years would be open to it. This always seems to gain traction every few years, and then nothing happens. Remember when Braley put a bid in to host a game, and then it didn't become reality? Around that same time, Robert Kraft's jet was spotted in Edmonton and people thought the Patriots and Broncos were going to play there because Pat Bowlen lived there.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Passaglia wrote:No way I can see the Seahawks giving up one of their home dates. Even for here. At least not as long as they are this competitive. Maybe one of their road opponents who has trouble selling out in the next few years would be open to it. This always seems to gain traction every few years, and then nothing happens. Remember when Braley put a bid in to host a game, and then it didn't become reality? Around that same time, Robert Kraft's jet was spotted in Edmonton and people thought the Patriots and Broncos were going to play there because Pat Bowlen lived there.
You can almost guarantee it won't be Seattle. If they're going to move a game to a neutral site they will use a team struggling somewhat at the gate, perhaps considering relocation. Right now the prime candidates would tbe St.Louis (averaging 52112 and 79.8% capacity, Oakland (averaging 54,337 and 86.2% capacity). Both have been rumoured to be most interested in returning to LA if a new stadium ever gets off the ground.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.