2023 MLB Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Well, a huge comeback indeed for the Blue Jays after trailing 2-0 in the series and having to win 2 games on the road to tie the series.....and then in game 5 after trailing by scores of 2-0 and 3-2, having a huge 4-run seventh inning to allow the Blue Jays to win 6-3 and advance to the ALCS. They will be facing either the Houston Astros or the Kansas City Royals. If it's against the Royals, then Toronto will be looking to avenge the 1985 ALCS loss.

Is the rest of Canada excited to bring the World Series back to :canada:......at the expense of Toronto?

At least Argonauts home game relocation didn't go for nothing.

On another note....what's also becoming a reality is the partial correct prediction of Back to the Future Part II as Chicago Cubs advanced to the NLCS.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
dupsdell1
Champion

LETS GO BLUE JAYS

Moved by Mod staff. The other thread has been going for two weeks. Take a look around before starting repeat threads. Thank you.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Texas Rangers are the victim of their own misfortunes. 3 errors in one inning isn't going to win you many games.
BC 1988
Legend

Robbie wrote:At least Argonauts home game relocation didn't go for nothing.
As it turns out, the Saturday home game relocation would be unnecessary. (But just like the Oct 6th game, the Argos found out too late after they had to commit to an alternative).

With the Royals advancing, they are the top seed, and will host games 1-2 of the ALCS. Then games 3-4-5 go back to TOR on Mon-Tues-Wed. Game 6-7 would go back to KC on Fri-Sat (if necessary).

So as long as conversion times for the field are adequate following Game 5, the Argos game vs MTL on Friday Oct 23rd can be played at Rogers Centre.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What to watch Monday. Election results or the Blue Jays ?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:What to watch Monday. Election results or the Blue Jays ?
election....either that or paint drying
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Texas must be pissed, both their teams (Rangers and Astros) failed to advance.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rogers executives must be doing cartwheels. They have waited 20 plus years for the Blue Jays to be Canada's darlings again. The Jays tv ratings have been off the charts for the past couple of months and the playoff numbers will be absurd.
Throw in the fact Rogers got the NHL rights last season and their rivals at Bell (TSN) can't do much about it by countering with the CFL and MLS games.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:With the Royals advancing, they are the top seed, and will host games 1-2 of the ALCS. Then games 3-4-5 go back to TOR on Mon-Tues-Wed. Game 6-7 would go back to KC on Fri-Sat (if necessary).
This is a rematch of the 1985 ALCS in which the Blue Jays jumped to a 3-1 lead in the series and would have advanced to the World Series had the MLB extended the Conference Series to a best of 7 games that year. The Blue Jays choked in the last three days despite games 6 and 7 were played at home. The Blue Jays were the talk of the town in early October 1985 especially in Toronto with the Argonauts having a bad season and the NHL had just started. Vancouver was certainly rooting for the Jays,
TheLionKing wrote:Texas must be pissed, both their teams (Rangers and Astros) failed to advance.
The only thing that prevented Texas from being totally miserable was that the FC Dallas won over the Whitecaps FC.
TheLionKing wrote:What to watch Monday. Election results or the Blue Jays ?
A very sly point. I mentioned the voter turnout before in that since 1993 the voter turnout rate has been steadily decreasing. In 1993 the election day was on October 25 just two days after Joe Carter's walk off home run so I guess Canadians were pleased so they all went to the polls to show their appreciation.
1993 - 70.9%
1997 - 67.0%
2000 - 64.1%
2004 - 60.9%
2006 - 64.7%
2008 - 58.8%
2011 - 61.1%

With all of Canada watching the Blue Jays, voter turnout will be lucky if it exceeds 60.0%. I wonder if Stephen Harper has the ability to veto to postpone the election for a few weeks.
SammyGreene wrote:Rogers executives must be doing cartwheels. They have waited 20 plus years for the Blue Jays to be Canada's darlings again. The Jays tv ratings have been off the charts for the past couple of months and the playoff numbers will be absurd. Throw in the fact Rogers got the NHL rights last season and their rivals at Bell (TSN) can't do much about it by countering with the CFL and MLS games.
Back in October 1992, Canada was celebrating the nation's 125th year that coincided with Canadians watching the Blue Jays on TV so this commercial was often played in local stations:
[video][/video]

And when the Blue Jays won the 1992 World Series, a variation of that commercial came out featuring a celebration of the Blue Jays. The clip seems to show the 1992 ALCS celebration as it was won in the then-Skydome over the Oakland Athletics as the deciding game in the World Series was won in Atlanta.
[video][/video]

And Coke took advantage of their Always Coca-Cola campaign by partnering with the Blue Jays and making variations of their song. When the Blue Jays won the 1993 ALCS they made this rather overconfident commercial about how they will win again:
[video][/video]

And after Joe Carter's walk off home run the first commercial break shows this version:
[video][/video]

They were so popular that they made a new version for 2015:
[video][/video]
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Count me as hoping for engine failure on the Jays bandwagon. The Expos were my Canada's team. I vowed to never pull for the Jays thanks to my disgust over Canadian media's fawning over the Jays in 1993 while treating the Expos like persona non grata despite the fact they literally matched the Jays win for win all season long. I do have a feeling though that the Jays/Royals series will be almost like a regional series. It'll be big news in Canada, Kansas and Missouri but barely a blip elsewhere. The big story for the rest of North America, myself included, will be the Cubs/Mets series. Watching the Cubs try to overcome a 107 year World Series drought, not to mention the curse of the goat, will totally capture the minds of sports fans all across the US.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Count me as hoping for engine failure on the Jays bandwagon. The Expos were my Canada's team. I vowed to never pull for the Jays thanks to my disgust over Canadian media's fawning over the Jays in 1993 while treating the Expos like persona non grata despite the fact they literally matched the Jays win for win all season long.
I wonder how many other Canadians in Western Canada and the Maritimes would consider the Montreal Expos as the better representative for Canada's baseball team given the whole Quebec separatist issue - especially at that time in the early 1990's when the Quebec sovereignty movement was at its prime with the 1990 Meech Lake Accord, the 1992 Charlottetown Accord, and the 1995 Quebec referendum.

In any case, it was really unfortunately for the Expos that the wild card position was not introduced yet otherwise their second-place division standings may have qualified them as a wild-card playoff spot in 1992 and 1993. And the biggest bummer was in 1994 when the Expos had the best record in the league and had a great possibility of winning the World Series but unfortunately the baseball strike on August 11, 1994 ruined those dreams.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The Blue Jays are in a hole as the Royals are up 2-0 in the series. Let's see if home field advantage will help for Toronto.

Both the Blue Jays and the Royals we predominantly wear blue and white in their uniforms, so if you wear blue and white - which team are you supporting? The difference is that there's a little bit of red on their logo showing the Canadian maple leaf. So perhaps Blue Jays fans should a little bit of red as well. But of course, if you wear red, white and blue it represents Americas flag. :dizzy:
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:The Blue Jays are in a hole as the Royals are up 2-0 in the series. Let's see if home field advantage will help for Toronto.

Both the Blue Jays and the Royals we predominantly wear blue and white in their uniforms, so if you wear blue and white - which team are you supporting? The difference is that there's a little bit of red on their logo showing the Canadian maple leaf. So perhaps Blue Jays fans should a little bit of red as well. But of course, if you wear red, white and blue it represents Americas flag. :dizzy:
go with double blue.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Blue Jays take game three 11-8 and are back in the series. I guess the red portion of the Blue Jays represented the red Liberals, while the blue from the Royals represented the blue Conservatives tonight both both parties/teams scoring a lot, but one team finished higher. :rotf:
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I guess one team in blue won tonight.