How the 49ers Are Adjusting to Shorter Attention Spans

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nfl-tea ... 1434484144

As someone who has trained adults in the past, I can see where they're coming from in shortening the meetings. Thoughts from the sports coaches in the room?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

News flash for old coaches. The players weren't listening to you anyway in long meetings just like the 5 min. pre-game speech.

If your lectured, you're not learning as much as if it is broken into shorter segments and delivered to their personal device of choice.

All the pro athletes I have learned from and pro coaches is that if you're talking and they're not doing something - you're losing them.

Adult training has to be experiential. Sports has to be learn by doing.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:News flash for old coaches. The players weren't listening to you anyway in long meetings just like the 5 min. pre-game speech.

If your lectured, you're not learning as much as if it is broken into shorter segments and delivered to their personal device of choice.

All the pro athletes I have learned from and pro coaches is that if you're talking and they're not doing something - you're losing them.

Adult training has to be experiential. Sports has to be learn by doing.
Just saw Joel Quenneville answer question re pre game talk.

Keep it very brief. Focus on technical. Forget about rah rah ... :thup:

My experience ... the guys (or girls) like it if you focus on some simple technical stuff. It relaxes them and does help them focus. 3 ideas max ...

And maybe the concluding words of Walter Payton to kids. "Play hard. Play safe. Have fun." I know kids tend to forget the have fun part. LOL OOoooohhhhh ... Big Game.

Counter productive stuff ... We have to win this game. This is it! Those other guys are GOOD. You guys better play your best game ever.

Coaches do not do that. Oh yeah ... Coaches screw up kids (and adults) all the time.

One bit of pressure Jimmy Johnson used to do productively IMO ... "You have to make plays. No passengers." "If you make plays, we will be fine."
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.