Official NFL Thread: 2015-2016 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

aklawitter
All Star

Michael Bennett might as well have toes for teeth because he can't stop putting his foot in his mouth...

(read up on his latest interview)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Now this is what class and respect is about. Warning: profanity (one word) but this is what pro athletes need to do more of these days - show class and respect for the game, the league, their team, their opponent.

I wonder if the Texans cut this guy for that ....lol... but he caught on with the Ravens:

http://national.suntimes.com/national-s ... -baltimore

Undrafted.. why didn't we find him as he also has a great run for a long TD on offence called back in that tape.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/art ... 56fe88b112
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
BC 1988
Legend

49ers debuted a 3rd uni last night. Very rare for a club that has always made only minor modifications to their classic look. While I don't think they are as bad as this article thinks, the big problem is it's too jarring as a 49er uni, with all that black and the only gold left is on the helmet.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/49ers-n ... -alternate
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Kam Chancellor showed how valuable he was again on Monday Night Football by making a great defensive play to preserve the win for the Seahawks.....with help from the officials of course. The controversial play be discussed for quite a while and it might establish a precedence for the future with regards to what can be reviewed.

Despite the narrow win the Seahawks need to improve both their offence and defence as they face the undefeated Bengals in their next game.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
BC 1988
Legend

We talk about the BC Lions being the masters of the 4th quarter choke, but the Seahawks are well on their way to taking the crown, with 3 of their 4 losses coming in that fashion (and the other one throwing away a dramatic comeback with an OT loss.) The last 2 have been with Kam Chancellor back, so they can't use that excuse now.

They won't have long to regroup with their next game Thursday on the road against SF, also 2-4.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:We talk about the BC Lions being the masters of the 4th quarter choke, but the Seahawks are well on their way to taking the crown, with 3 of their 4 losses coming in that fashion (and the other one throwing away a dramatic comeback with an OT loss.) The last 2 have been with Kam Chancellor back, so they can't use that excuse now.

They won't have long to regroup with their next game Thursday on the road against SF, also 2-4.
Yeah, that seems like an omen since Super Bowl XLIX when the Seahawks blew a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter and that's continued in this season with blowing leads in all four losses and they almost lost the home game against Detroit Lions as well had it not been for last second heroics and a favourable officiating call. Looks like the Seahawks have somewhat decreased the number of penalties, but it seems like at the expense of their solid defense from two seasons ago.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

No blowing up this time for the Seahawks with a solid 20-3 win with several sacks. Have they finally turned around? Next game in Dallas.
祝你龍年行大運。
aklawitter
All Star

Cam Wake out with likely a torn Achilles

you could see the look of defeat on his face after it happened

1 year left on contract @ $9.8mil cap hit

likely ends his Dolphins career and possibly NFL career (almost 34 years of age)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Seahawks manage a narrow win in Dallas but at a huge cost as receiver Ricardo Lockette will be out for the rest of the season with a neck injury that will require surgery.

The play didn't look too serious, but that goes to show that looks are deceiving.
[video][/video]
Given the fact that Jeff Heath was penalized for the play and given the season ending injury to Lockette, I wonder of the NFL will implement more punishment to Heath.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

As exhibited by today's Thursday Night Football game, huge comebacks are definitely possible in a short amount of time and Hail Mary passes definitely do work.
[video][/video]
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

After a slow start, the Seahawks appear to be hot now with four straight wins. Hopefully Marshawn Lynch will come back soon as Thomas Rawls is gone for the rest of the season.

I learned something about NFL rules after watching the Seahawks-Ravens game. Obviously grabbing someone's face mask to tackle them is illegal and will yield a major foul. But apparently grabbing someone's hair to bring them down is completely legal and will not yield any penalties and that's what happened when Ravens wide receiver Chris Matthews grabbed the dreadlocks of Robert Sherman to bring him down after Sherman made an interception. I'd say Sherman is fortunate that he's not a member of the offence, kick returner, or otherwise an often ball carrier otherwise opponents will find it convenient to treat his hair like flag football to bring him down ----- with much pain.

I'm not sure about the CFL rules but I assume it's the same thing. When it comes to CFL players with long hair, a name that comes to mind is Doug Flutie as he would have a mullet hairstyle and his hair would protrude from the back of his helmet on to the back of his neck. Since Doug Flutie was a scrambling quarterback, I wonder how often opponents grabbed his long hair to bring him down.
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:After a slow start, the Seahawks appear to be hot now with four straight wins. Hopefully Marshawn Lynch will come back soon as Thomas Rawls is gone for the rest of the season.

I learned something about NFL rules after watching the Seahawks-Ravens game. Obviously grabbing someone's face mask to tackle them is illegal and will yield a major foul. But apparently grabbing someone's hair to bring them down is completely legal and will not yield any penalties and that's what happened when Ravens wide receiver Chris Matthews grabbed the dreadlocks of Robert Sherman to bring him down after Sherman made an interception. I'd say Sherman is fortunately that he's not a member of the offence, kick returner, or otherwise an often ball carrier otherwise opponents will find it convenient to treat his hair like flag football to bring him down ----- with much pain.

I'm not sure about the CFL rules but I assume it's the same thing. When it comes to CFL players with long hair, a name that comes to mind is Doug Flutie as he would have a mullet hairstyle and his hair would protrude from the back of his helmet on to the back of his neck. Since Doug Flutie was a scrambling quarterback, I wonder how often opponents grabbed his long hair to bring him down.
his hair wasn't really long enough to get much of a grasp on.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
aklawitter
All Star

I believe the NFL addressed this a few years back when Polamalu was tackled by his Head&Shoulders marketing tool... their position was something to the effect of "you chose to grow your hair out long, now expect somebody to eventually pull it down with the rest of you"
South Pender
Legend

Epitaph for the Seahawks' season

Being a Seahawks fan these days seems to include the view that anything short of at least a Super Bowl appearance represents failure. Not happening this year, though, but, at least in my view, the 'Hawks can still consider the 2015 season a pretty good one--despite yesterday's loss at Carolina. I think the team showed a lot of character and "grit" (a specialty served up in Pete Carroll's culture), first coming back from a 2-4 start to make the playoffs and win in the first round, and, I think, in yesterday's game where they came back tough in the second half to almost climb out of a pretty impossibly deep hole of being down 31-0 at the half. They are still one of the younger teams in the NFL, and I think there are good days (and seasons) ahead for them.

Certainly a key factor in any team's ability to survive deep into the playoffs is a bit of luck in avoiding injuries to key personnel. The Seahawks didn't have much of that luck this season, losing Marshawn Lynch in mid-season and Jimmy Graham about the same time. And starting the season without Kam Chancellor probably cost them at least one game. Had they ended up 11-5, as opposed to 10-6, they would have had a home game in the playoffs. I missed some of the game yesterday, and by the time I tuned in they were playing without Russell Okung at LT. I'm not sure whether he started or not, but his replacement, Alvin Bailey, is just not good enough at this key O-line position. It seemed pretty clear that they were getting beaten in the trenches, and no amount of legerdemain by Russell Wilson can overcome the constant and intense pressure he was working under.

The Seahawks went into this season with some unknowns on both sides of the ball. The biggest of these was the O-line, with rookies or guys playing out of their usual position starting. As a result, things were bleak in the first half of the season, but got better as the season went along. Still, this is not a good O-line, and Carroll and John Schneider will need to address this shortcoming--in my opinion, the only really weak spot on the team. Then there was the Cary Williams experiment at right corner, opposite Richard Sherman. It's safe to say that Williams cost the 'Hawks at least one game by getting beat deep on more than one occasion. The team fixed this in the second half of the season by cutting Williams and putting DeShawn Shead in that position, and, later, Jeremy Lane. Whether Lane will develop into a true shut-down corner remains to be seen (most of his playing up to this point had been as a nickel corner), but he is the kind of rangy and very-athletic guy that Carroll likes back there.

I think we'll see some interesting developments in the Seahawks' off-season. First, I think that they may well trade or otherwise part with Lynch. With Thomas Rawls looking very much like Beast Mode 2.0, and Christine Michael now (finally) looking like a good backup and change of pace, the 'Hawks may feel they have what they need at RB. Dropping Lynch's contract would free up something like $6.5-7M in cap money, and this could be used elsewhere. Second, I think we may see the team try to lock up a couple of guys they will need going forward: Russell Okung at LT and Bruce Irvin at OLB and occasional Leo end. I'm not so sure about Irvin, and it will be interesting to see whether Carroll thinks he improved enough this season to keep him. Right corner may also be in play, although both Shead and Lane did play pretty well in the latter part of the season. Third, I think they are pretty solid at WR, with Doug Baldwin really coming into his own as a legit No. 1 receiver this season. Jermaine Kearse is a decent (although not spectacular) receiver, and Tyler Lockett has been a very pleasant development and has solved the kick- and punt-return problem admirably, as well as adding a really dynamic presence to the receiving corps. Add to those guys Paul Richardson, coming back from IR, and they will have great speed on the outside with Lockett and Richardson. And, finally, add in Jimmy Graham back from injury at TE, and the Seahawks may decide that they're deep enough at receiver.

This really just leaves the O-line as a concern. Whether Tom Cable thinks that the guys he has now are good enough or not will likely determine any changes there, but it's hard to see the present lineup of Okung, Britt, Lewis, Sweezy, and Gilliam as adequate if the offense is to realize its full potential with Russell Wilson at QB. Okung is really the only fully-adequate guy in that line, although Patrick Lewis did show signs of real development through the season--after replacing the hapless Drew Nowak midway through the season. Sweezy is probably a keeper, if for no other reason than his longevity with the team and familiarity with the offensive keys. The two weak links, in my opinion, have been Justin Britt at LG and Garry Gilliam, a converted TE, at RT. The Seahawks haven't spent much money on the O-line, and I think that the time has come to use some of what Lynch may free up to sign a couple of talented and experienced O-linemen. Doing so will allow Wilson to once again be the really dangerous pocket passer he was during the latter part of the season and will make a potent run game just that much better. I think Carroll will continue to want the offense to be run-first, and with a stronger O-line, Rawls should have a great season in 2016.

So I think the Seahawks go into this off-season with great potential and should be a major force in 2016. I get the sense from some of the players' comments yesterday that the players themselves believe this and will continue to improve and play hard for Pete Carroll. If they can retain their core lineup--which I think they can--and add two or three guys where needed, they will be just that much better next season. It will be fun to see the off-season unfold!
South Pender
Legend

Who Do You Like for Super Bowl 50?

The odds-makers are saying it will be a Panthers-Patriots game. This seems far from certain to me. The two conference finals on Sunday (both games) should be great games, and I'm not sure that I see either Carolina or New England winning. It's true that the Cardinals didn't look invincible in their win over the Packers, and the Broncos looked pretty mediocre yesterday in their win over the Steelers, but the Broncos will be at home against the Patriots, and we may see Peyton Manning throwing better in that game than he did yesterday. And I think the Cardinals could very well beat the Panthers. I think I may go completely against the odds and predict a Cardinals-Broncos SB.