NFL Super Bowl XLIX - Game Day Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That has to be one of the dumbest call I've ever seen.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow.

Only caught bits of the game. And that included two Brady interceptions, plus a huge pass to Lynch with two minutes left. By that time I was rooting for the Patriots, by a smidgeon. Yikes.

I like both teams and organizations.

Great for Brady. And Belichick.

Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson will be back.

Helluva finish. For both teams. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

for crying out loud asinine reporters, get your camaras and mics out of the faces of the players and let them go celebrate. Stinkin lousy media idiots

as for the hawks, ya got the best running QB in the league and you don't let him run once in the 4th? On the second last possession, he should have ran on 3rd and 5, and then there is the last play. Maybe they let a sideline reporter call that last play. Shades of 88 grey cup, sort of.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

One of the greatest bad calls of all time.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lotta guys squeezin' the Lombardi trophy. Gonna deflate the football on the trophy? Ha ha ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

looks like most of the voters for mvp were from the media. MVP should have been edelman or butler
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote: as for the hawks, ya got the best running QB in the league and you don't let him run once in the 4th? On the second last possession, he should have ran on 3rd and 5, and then there is the last play. Maybe they let a sideline reporter call that last play. Shades of 88 grey cup, sort of.
Reminds me of a certain ex offensive coordinator for the Lions.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:looks like most of the voters for mvp were from the media. MVP should have been edelman or butler
I would have voted for Edelman. Butler saved the game but it was him who was beaten by Kearse on that miracle catch. In slo-mo, at least, it looked like he'd given up on it for a fraction of the second while Kearse realised that the ball was still live and kept after it.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Poor play selection will be remembered forever. What won't be is the league's best defence not being able to protect a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter —  twice giving up touchdowns on long drives.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ya live by the sword, and ya die by the sword.

The Seahawks got to where they are by living on the edge. Go for it. Attack. If they make that play, it is a great call. If not, it becomes one that gets criticized.

The Patriots had 8 in the box, possibly 9. So the rookie makes an incredible read, and play on the ball. Game over.

Personally, I can't really fault the call. Gonna second guess Pete Carroll and his staff, after all the gutsy calls they made along the way? Nah ... Not me anyway.

As Wilson noted, calling Lynch is always a good call. But I think that DB made an unlikely play. If the Patriots stuffed Lynch, then it gets tougher for the Hawks. To me, that call was completely in character for the way Carroll and the Hawks approach the game. They do not play it safe.

In retrospect the play would have been very high percentage if Wilson rolled out. Not much help on defence on that side. Plus the receiver can find a soft spot. I think that receiver was passive in his play for the ball, like he was in shock at crunch time in the big game. The DB was ready for it. I would put it on the receiver. He did not get himself in position. He did not protect against the oncoming DB. Pending further review. And more review.

Lockette has good size and incredible speed. Not drafted. And one wonders why. On that play I thnk we can see why. You have to go after the ball. You have to establish a position. You have to "defend" against the DB. He has been something of a project, I would guess. The Hawks have been getting by without a top notch receiving corps, methinks. Just IMO ... (not an avid follower of the NFL).

Don't know if Pete Carroll got in the face of that receiver as he did to Matthews earlier, working his magic on the player, pumping him up for the big play, the play of his life. Guess it might have been too obvious a second time.

As noted, Lynch would have been a good call too. And if he is stopped, then it gets tougher.

On his run to the 1, he was just barely tripped up. Just barely.

Great finish. Good game. Two truly excellent teams. Respect between the Head Coaches. Respect between the QBs.

Hindsight? Absolutely. Monday morning quarterbacking? Absolutely. For fans, that is almost as good as watching live first time around.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I can't fault the play call on the INT. I've seen that play run dozens of times in the CFL and NFL and have never seen a DB jump the route and make an interception. It was just a superb defensive play by a rookie.

The bigger issue for the Seahawks is that they don't have depth in the secondary. Brady moved the ball consistently on short passes against the Seattle linebackers, as everyone expected. When he got in scoring range, he picked on Simon, the injury replacement in the seconday, for 3 TDs. It was easy pickings for the veteran QB, who was well deserving of his game MVP trophy.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Either give it to Lynch or call a QB option. Almost impossible to defend, especially when you're on the 1 yard line.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/2/79 ... n-playcall
OC, play caller Darrell Bevell: "We could have done a better job staying strong on the ball" Lockette breaking on final slant. #Seahawks
This is a bad look for Bevell. He made a call. That call was for a converted track star with 18 career receptions to fight for a ball on the goal line.

It's probably true that Lockette could have gone stronger to the ball. But the problem here is not how Lockette played in that situation. The problem here is that Lockette was in that situation to begin with, and Bevell was the person who put him there.

(Also, let's give Malcolm Butler the credit he deserves for recognizing the route and making a spectacular play on the football. A tremendous play by the undrafted rookie out of West Alabama.)
I agree with the coach (and the blogger), but it is tough to say that kind of thing about a player. Pete Carroll took the blame. Russell Wilson took the blame. An assistant coach? Tougher for a guy down the food chain to take the blame, when he feels the call was good enough.

In this respect, it was questionable ... Do you have confidence in Lockette to get after the ball in crunch time? 18 career receptions. Do you have confidence that he has the natural instincts to fight for the ball, to create and defend space? You have incredible stars like Lynch and Wilson, and in crunch time you go to a guy with some question marks.

As noted just above, it seems to me that the Seahawks got great mileage out of some "no name" receivers (not highly rated, not drafted). They will continue to build their roster. They have a sensational organization, and loads of weapons.

(This is by far the most interest I have taken in the NFL this year. Never heard of Ricardo Lockette before this evening. LOL)

aklawitter
All Star

I never knew JC moonlighted as the Seahawks' OC.