Canadian Juniors

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada was dominating in the first period as they lead Slovakia 3-0
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada laying on a beating 6-0 with 3 minutes left in the 2nd period
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Excellent start by the Juniors. 8-0 win. Jake Virtanen Canuck 1st round last year had one of Canada's goal
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada leading Germany 2-0 after the first period. Goal and an assist for highly touted Connor McDavid
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada continues to roll along with a 4-1 win over defending champions Finland. Canada's next game is against their arch rival the US. Winner of that game finish first in their division.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I like the junior team.

Domi has been the player that really impresses me and I'm shocked he has not got player of the game so far.

The McDavid storyline hasn't emerged as the media want it and I heard Craig Button say they aren't getting him pucks where he needs to be getting them. His view is that he must get pucks in open space not be fighting for them in the corners. I don't know the player other than the TSN coverage of him in the video and watching him play made me feel that he wasn't out wide enough when pucks came around the back.

But this McDavid vs Eichel of the US BS is just that.... unless it's going to be the two teams agreeing to pull other players off and let these 2 go 1 v 1.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think the forwards playing with McDavid need to get open. Too often you see McDavid behind the net looking to pass but his forwards are tied up elsewhere
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What a game this afternoon ! A game for the ages. Canuck draft pick Thatcher Demko was outstanding for the US
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada appear to be heading to the semis as they lead Denmark 5-0 after 2 periods.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Canada appear to be heading to the semis as they lead Denmark 5-0 after 2 periods.
Now 7-0 with under 8mins left in the 3rd. Looks like they'll advance to face the Slovaks in the semi-final on Sunday, who they already thrashed 8-0 in the round robin opener on Boxing Day. Canada outscoring its opponents 28-4 as I type.

Russia ousted the Americans earlier today in the QF matchup and will play the Swedes in the other semi, also on Sunday.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Going to be interesting to see who the coach starts in the semi final. Zach Fucale has allowed only 2 goals in the series. My bet is on Fucale.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Canada is through to the gold medal game tomorrow against Russia after dropping Slovakia 5-1 in their semifinal. Nick Petan had a hat trick while Canada outshot the Slovaks 44-15 on the night including 22-4 in the third period during which SVK netminder Denis Godla made several quality saves and was even cheered by the Canadian fans during the postgame ceremony. Canada has outscored their opposition 34-5 in six games so far in this tournament.

If you're looking for negatives, Canada hasn't really faced much adversity so far in this tournament — they've posted three shutouts, scored first in every game and have not only never trailed in any game, they've yet to surrender even a game-tying goal anywhere along the way yet. This could be a factor if they happen to fall behind Russia tomorrow when the stakes are at their highest.

Russia has defeated Canada in their last four playoff round games in this tournament, including a 5-3 decision in the 2011 gold medal game in Buffalo — a game which featured an infamous Team Canada collapse as they blew a 3-0 lead to start the third period.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada was impressive in their game against the Slovaks. Highly touted Connor McDavid coming on with 3 more assists. Russia will have their hands full with the 4 line game of Canada's
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm with SJR on this one.

Love this Canadian team and the only thing I see that I don't like is when they aren't playing their passing and puck control game with good attacks with guys heading for open spaces and tape to tape passing.

The moment they go back to Canada's old game of laying on big hits and running around they're only winning as their opponents are getting up on them and adversity is not really a huge factor.

It looks like the current HC and staff have them playing a skill game and that is where these big, fast skaters excel over their opponents.

Connor McDavid looked great and flying all of a sudden but they are where they are now based on their overall team play and others. I like this guy but I'm not yet ready to suggest that he'd enter the NHL and be the next Sydney Crosby instantly.

I admit to being blown away by the play of Max Domi. He is able to take hits but laugh it off and they haven't been able to take him off his game.

Tonight will be a huge test and they must play passing and puck possession and keep hitting the open man with tape to tape passes.

When they were hitting in parts of earlier games it was so telling that the hit was both making a statement but taking the hitter out of the play after that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada must played a discipline game and take it to the Russians. Keeep your emotions in check. As Toppy said, don't run around trying to lay big hits and get out of position.