2014-2015 NHL Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The major reason for Babcock going to Toronto was the Leafs' guarantee that he gets every spring off.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

What season is it in Leafs hockey world? Golfing season.

Meanwhile, the Sabres are livid, as they felt they had an agreement in principle with Babcock, before the Leaf deal was announced. With the little we know at this point, the Leafs deal is not passing the smell test, at least from the point of view of how Babcock conducted his negotiations.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/sabres-front-of ... d-1.287478

"They feel that they were played by Mike Babcock, that his behaviour was misleading."
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tampa Bay takes a 2-1 series lead with a 6-5 overtime win over the Rangers.
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Tampa Bay takes a 2-1 series lead with a 6-5 overtime win over the Rangers.
Up to the mid 2nd period when it was 2-1, it looked like the Rangers were going to have things go their way--low shot totals, then it blew wide open.

As long as TB can open it up like they did in game 2 and the 2nd half tonight, they will take this series.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wow Babcock going to the coach destroying Maple Leafs. HUGE. That team in recent years has taken down Cup winners and decent coaches who've been successful elsewhere leaving me wondering what is rotten in that core group.

Babcock is a reputed top coach and gets some great mileage out of vets but this Leaf lot might be his undoing.

This is a challenge as he can't blow up his team and start over.

It reminds me of the Jeff Reinebold quote on the few HC jobs in pro football (241? IIRC) and if you are smart in taking a scarce job - you better have a QB or know where/how to get one or you're toast.

In this situation,Coach Babcock better know where to get a few game changing chemistry changers in that team or he'll find like the others who wanted to be in Toronto including GMs that the lot they have in that team will tantalizingly inspire you momentarily and then disappoint - and then get you fired.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Wow Babcock going to the coach destroying Maple Leafs. HUGE. That team in recent years has taken down Cup winners and decent coaches who've been successful elsewhere leaving me wondering what is rotten in that core group.

Babcock is a reputed top coach and gets some great mileage out of vets but this Leaf lot might be his undoing.

It reminds me of the Jeff Reinebold quote on the few HC jobs in pro football (241? IIRC) and if you are smart in taking a scarce job - you better have a QB or know where/how to get one or you're toast.

In this situation,Coach Babcock better know where to get a few game changing chemistry changers in that team or he'll find like the others who wanted to be in Toronto including GMs that the lot they have in that team will tantalizingly inspire you momentarily and then disappoint - and then get you fired.
That's why he got an 8-year deal, to give himself time to turn it around. Wings wouldn't go past five years. Sabres supposedly offered nine.

Tor media is already conceding him 3-4 years before they even become a contender.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Wow Babcock going to the coach destroying Maple Leafs. HUGE. That team in recent years has taken down Cup winners and decent coaches who've been successful elsewhere leaving me wondering what is rotten in that core group.

That's why he got an 8-year deal, to give himself time to turn it around. Wings wouldn't go past five years. Sabres supposedly offered nine.

Tor media is already conceding him 3-4 years before they even become a contender.
I find it amazing that NHL is constructed in such a way that teams can't change for the better more rapidly. Claims that it is cap related etc.

Football teams with twice the number of players on the field and way more people can change fortunes faster - or so it seems. And, in football there are fewer games to do it in.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I find it amazing that NHL is constructed in such a way that teams can't change for the better more rapidly. Claims that it is cap related etc.

Football teams with twice the number of players on the field and way more people can change fortunes faster - or so it seems. And, in football there are fewer games to do it in.
No guaranteed, difficult-to-move contracts and no NTC's make a big difference.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting that Toronto hires a coach before hiring a General Manager. Wonder if the new GM have any power over Babcock ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anaheim rebounded from their triple overtime loss the other night to defeat Chicago 2-1 to take a 2-1 series lead.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good for Anaheim.

I don't like the Hawks, although one recognizes that they are a terrific team.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

BC 1988
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Good for Anaheim.

CHI missing D Michal Rozsíval might turn out to be the deciding factor in a long series. The remaining D are being stretched to the limit, and replacement David Rundblad is showing how green he is. It's telling that they just recalled D Trevor van Riemsdyk from the AHL. He's recovering from wrist surgery and was expected to be out until mid-June.

I'm pretty ambivalent, but If I had to choose one of these two teams to cheer for, I guess ANA by a narrow margin. (I don't have a problem if we end up seeing Kesler parading around with the Cup.)
BC 1988
Legend

Kessel will most certainly be gone by the trade deadline next season. Phaneuf might end up staying, but in a non-leadership role (which he is clearly not cut out for). He almost ended up being picked up by DET on the last trade deadline, so Babcock probably see's his value in a different role on the team.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Good for Anaheim.

CHI missing D Michal Rozsíval might turn out to be the deciding factor in a long series. The remaining D are being stretched to the limit, and replacement David Rundblad is showing how green he is. It's telling that they just recalled D Trevor van Riemsdyk from the AHL. He's recovering from wrist surgery and was expected to be out until mid-June.

I'm pretty ambivalent, but If I had to choose one of these two teams to cheer for, I guess ANA by a narrow margin. (I don't have a problem if we end up seeing Kesler parading around with the Cup.)
I think it is no guarantee that Mike Babcock can turn around the Leafs. He worked for 10 years in a terrific culture with Detroit. I can't say that he built that culture. More credit to Yzerman, Holland and Bowman methinks.

And Babcock's style is defensive oriented. Good luck with a "lazy," selfish, want the puck team.

Plus Babcock did not draft the players in Detroit, although I am sure his opinion was valued. Who gets to evaluate for the draft and FA in Toronto?

Despite his Stanley Cup, two Olympic Gold Medals (for the players) and world title, I am not sure Babcock is the best coach in the NFL. I kind of doubt it. Near the top? Certainly. Another wreck for the good ship Leaf? Dunno ... but they keep on trying by changing the staff. Ron Wilson might be right --> They might need to gut the team.
Coaching style

Babcock's teams generally focus on skills and puck possession. Babcock is also one of the game's most respected coaches by way of line combinations, match-ups and overall game strategy.

As a continued tradition of building a team with skills rather than enforcement in Detroit, Babcock has taken this idea to a whole new level.[15] Since taking the helm at Detroit in 2005–06 season, Babcock's teams have consistently had the fewest penalty minutes of any NHL team.[16] From the 2005–06 to 2014–15 seasons, the Red Wings average 22% fewer penalty minutes than the League average, and 44% fewer penalty minutes than the highest League total.[17][18] -- Wik
Just IMO ...

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:I think it is no guarantee that Mike Babcock can turn around the Leafs. He worked for 10 years in a terrific culture with Detroit. I can't say that he built that culture. More credit to Yzerman, Holland and Bowman methinks.

And Babcock's style is defensive oriented. Good luck with a "lazy," selfish, want the puck team.

Plus Babcock did not draft the players in Detroit, although I am sure his opinion was valued. Who gets to evaluate for the draft and FA in Toronto?

Despite his Stanley Cup, two Olympic Gold Medals (for the players) and world title, I am not sure Babcock is the best coach in the NFL. I kind of doubt it. Near the top? Certainly. Another wreck for the good ship Leaf? Dunno ... but they keep on trying by changing the staff. Ron Wilson might be right --> They might need to gut the team.
One thing's for sure, his stock has never been (and may never again be) higher than it is right now. His willingness to test the free agent waters rather than simply extend with Detroit shows he knew it, too. It's an eight year deal — and his superiors, and the local Tor media, have basically already given him a 3-4yr honeymoon period. If the Leafs parlay this into a June parade, chances are it will be with a lot of players who aren't yet part of the team or perhaps even the league.

Heard a bit of Pratt on 1040 this morning. He took great pains in stating that right now he felt this move put the Leafs closer to the Cup than the Canucks. LOL