2014-2015 NHL Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Fifth time in Capitals franchise history blowing a 3-1 series lead.
Wow, that's a shocking stat.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Fifth time in Capitals franchise history blowing a 3-1 series lead.
Wow, that's a shocking stat.
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, right when Wsh went up 3-1, that they have a history of playoff chokes. In fact in all honesty if you'd asked me even before that post appeared, which NHL team do you think of when it comes to blowing 3-1 series leads, there may be worse teams, but I would have said the Capitals.

Here's some other stats I gathered with the help of hockeydb.com.

In the rubber game of a playoff series, they are 3-6 in the Ovechkin era, 4-11 all-time (4-10 in game sevens). This includes the final game of the first round of the 1985 playoffs, which was still best-of-five in those days (pre-1987). Incidentally they had a 2-0 games lead in that series before it slipped through their fingers.

They've won the first game of a series 23 times. But only in seven of these series have they gone on to win.

They've won only four of ten series where they've held a 2-0 lead, and half of these wins came in pre-1987 best-of-five opening rounds. Throw out those two series, and they are 0-8 in the third game of the remaining best-of-sevens, which of course means they've never swept a best-of-seven; only three times in 35 best-of-sevens have they won in even just five games (12-23 W-L overall).

They've played 38 playoff games in franchise history where a win would have eliminated their opponent. Their record in these games is 14-24, including the above rubber games (which were of course also elimination games for themselves; they're 16-22 all-time in elimination games).

Not sure how they compare to the rest of the league on these metrics but I'd guess that on every count, they're looking up at more teams above them than down at those under.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Breakdown of the goals scored by Corey Perry in the regular season ...

"Go to the net," says Ryan Getzlaf, "and I will make you rich." It has not worked against Chicago, however.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rangers take game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final with a 2-1 win over the Lightning.
BC 1988
Legend

ANA 4-1 over CHI in Western Final opener. I wonder if Crawford will be replaced by Darling in net for game 2? 23-26 saves/shots and .885 SV% isn't good enough. CHI had 33 shots on Anderson, so I don't think rust from the long layoff between rounds was a factor.
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Rangers take game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final with a 2-1 win over the Lightning.
NYR continuing to surprise by winning with their overall Playoffs GPG still at 2.0 and GAA for Lundqvist now down to 1.56.

It sure isn't firewagon hockey but they're methodically getting it done.
BC 1988
Legend

Tampa Bay 6 NYR 2 in Game 2 of East FInal.

Lundqvist with 20-26 saves-shots, .769 SV%, looks very mortal.

It will be interesting to see what Vigneault changes (if anything) after this 1st blowout loss of the playoffs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bit surprised at the rout. Lightning now have home ice advantage.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, it was bound to happen eventually, law of averages and all that. Lundqvist will be better next game no doubt but I am pulling for Tampa.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Chicago and Anaheim still battling in 2OT in game 2, score 2-2.

Andrew Shaw just scored on the PP for Chicago in the 2OT frame, but the goal was disallowed because it was scored by an intentional headbutt of the airborne puck directly into the net with the front of his helmet (Shaw leaped from the ice to make the headbutt play, no less) and play continues.

Edit: 40min of OT solves nothing; this one's going to 3OT.

Edit2: Chicago pulls even in the series with Marcus Kruger netting the gamewinner after 56:12 of OT. Longest game in Blackhawks franchise history.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Mike Babcock, having let his contract as Red Wings head coach expire this season without renewal, has now joined the Toronto Maple Leafs as their bench boss. Contract is for 8yr/$50M, believed to be highest valued coaching contract in league history. Red Wings will get a compensatory draft pick from the Leafs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=768357
MAPLE LEAFS HIRE BABCOCK: Toronto lands Babcock as new coach

Mike Babcock has been hired by the Toronto Maple Leafs, who will introduce their new coach at a Thursday press conference.

Terms of the contact were not released, but Sportsnet and TSN reported Babcock will get eight years and approximately $50 million.

Babcock leaves the Detroit Red Wings, where he coached for 10 seasons, winning the Stanley Cup in 2008 and losing in the Cup Final in 2009. This season, the Red Wings finished third in the Atlantic Division and lost to the Tampa Bay Lightning in a seven-game Eastern Conference First Round series.

In 12 seasons as coach of the Anaheim Ducks and Red Wings, Babcock is 527-285-119 with 19 ties.

The Maple Leafs will have to give the Red Wings a third-round pick in the NHL Draft within the next three years as compensation for hiring Babcock.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Mike Babcock, having let his contract as Red Wings head coach expire this season without renewal, has now joined the Toronto Maple Leafs as their bench boss. Contract is for 8yr/$50M, believed to be highest valued coaching contract in league history. Red Wings will get a compensatory draft pick from the Leafs.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=768357

Babcock is one helluva good coach. I would rather that he had gone to the Sabres. LOL

Last gasp hope for the Leafs.

I have watched very little hockey this year. But I did catch this Hawks-Ducks overtime. Amazing stuff. I don't like the Hawks, but they have a very good team. And the Ducks hit a bunch of posts. Perry had a few chances to win it.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Babcock wants a challenge. Let's see how much he enjoys turning the Make Beliefs' ship around.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Babcock wants a challenge. Let's see how much he enjoys turning the Make Beliefs' ship around.
Well, he's got one.

He might end up re-living Don Cherry's mistake. DC went on an extended twitter rant about this in the last week. In a series of about 15 tweets he told of how after his 1979 firing from the Bruins, he had HC offers from four teams, three of which he considered to be contenders ready to take a shot at the Cup now. But as he said he thought he could turn around the Rockies and joined them instead for the challenge — but of course it didn't work out and he was gone after just one season. He also complained of being stuck by GM Ray Miron with Hardy Astrom (without actually naming the goalie).

I think Babcock will have a better relationship with management than Cherry did in Denver, but he's still got his work cut out for him.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Babcock wants a challenge. Let's see how much he enjoys turning the Make Beliefs' ship around.
Well, he's got one.

He might end up re-living Don Cherry's mistake. DC went on an extended twitter rant about this in the last week. In a series of about 15 tweets he told of how after his 1979 firing from the Bruins, he had HC offers from four teams, three of which he considered to be contenders ready to take a shot at the Cup now. But as he said he thought he could turn around the Rockies and joined them instead for the challenge — but of course it didn't work out and he was gone after just one season. He also complained of being stuck by GM Ray Miron with Hardy Astrom (without actually naming the goalie).

I think Babcock will have a better relationship with management than Cherry did in Denver, but he's still got his work cut out for him.
So the Leafs hire a coach with absolute top level credentials.

I do not follow the Leafs, except insofar as they are media darlings in Canada. It seems they do not have a GM yet. As noted, until they improve their talent level and character, I would not expect a turnaround with this team.