2014-2015 NHL Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:So apparently the Canucks streak of sellouts is coming to an end as of tomorrow! Have to admit did not think this would happen.....
-----------------
and what is with the NHL schedule makers. The Canucks and Lions both finished games October 11. The Canucks haven't played a game since but then have to play Friday night in Edmonton and Saturday in Vancouver? :dizzy:
This is further evidence that there's no conspiracy by the Canucks to steal the spotlight from the Lions by deliberately scheduling games across the street on the same evening. I can't see the Canucks setting such a schedule for themselves if they could control it to their liking.
Good point, and I'm in the camp the Canucks/NHL doesn't even contemplate CFL in setting up their schedule EXCEPT perhaps Grey Cup Sunday (in terms of games in Canada). ANd I doubt they care much about that either.....

Caught a bit of the Canucks game and they showed a interesting piece of news I hadn't heard about. The Canucks hopped on a plane after the win (across the street from the Lions game) to take in the Seahawks/Cowboys game in Seattle. They had photos taken with the Seahawks before the game etc.... Glad they had fun.
I hope nobody perceives this as a Lions snub, as Canuck players have been on the sidelines for several games in the last few years @BCP. It hasn't always been the same group of players but Kevin Bieksa always seems to be in the mix whenever they do drop in for a game. I also recall on the first night back with the new roof (50k crowd), I spotted Vigneault with his coaching staff seated in the club section (300 level).

Canucks haven't appeared @BCP this year and likely won't. There's only one home game left on Nov 7, during which thy will be in the midst of California road trip (SJ on Nov 6 and LA on Nov 8). Would have to be injured players staying behind but I doubt that.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:I hope nobody perceives this as a Lions snub, as Canuck players have been on the sidelines for several games in the last few years @BCP. ....
Some may, most probably don't know/care. I certainly didn't see it as a snub. The schedules didn't line up right for the Canucks to drop by an actual game. I wonder what the trip is about. SOme simple teambuilding as you have a small break just inside the opening of a season? Or wanting to be around/hear about a team that had won a championship?

Doubt its anything but what it seems. A simple jaunt down for a group of guys to watch a football game and get a little bit more than the average fan gets in terms of a peek behind the curtain..... Hope they had a blast.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canucks are 3-0 to start the season after beating up their Alberta rivals. Real test comes tomorrow when they play a well rested Tampa Bay Lightning.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Canucks are 3-0 to start the season after beating up their Alberta rivals. Real test comes tomorrow when they play a well rested Tampa Bay Lightning.
What was the score? It was only one/nothing Canucks when I turned it off :sleep: (I was starting to nod, hockey just isn't my sport anymore....)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

2-0
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:2-0
Thanks, still is a funny schedule for those Canucks. So far we know they can beat the FLames and the Oilers. Game Four is tonight.......

Lightning and Canucks tied at 2 in the 2nd period. Steven Stamkos scoring both Tampa Bay's goals.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Wonder what Luongo is thinking playing in front of those Florida hockey crowds?
"I don't pay attention when I'm playing,'' Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo said after Monday's 1-0 loss. "I focus on my job. If we want to get some people in the stands we have to start winning some hockey games."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/flor ... story.html
Panthers' low attendance in part due to policy changes
By Harvey Fialkov, Sun Sentinel

Oct 14, 2014, 4:08pm, Sunrise

Before the season, Panthers owners Vinnie Viola and Doug Cifu decided to eliminate the disparities in ticket pricing that have alienated season-ticket holders in the past.

They did away with a lot of discounted tickets and ticket giveaways. They blacked out sections in the upper bowl with tarped-off seats and shrunk the Club Red area. They felt that under past regimes the premium tickets were devalued.

They knew that attendance would suffer, and might not improve until the team was consistently winning. But even they couldn't have envisioned Monday night's all-time franchise low of an announced 7,311 for the 1-0 loss to the Senators or the record-low home-opening crowd of 11,419 on Saturday.

"We are 100 percent prepared for the reality of the fact we're going to have smaller attendance this season,'' Cifu said during training camp. "The ownership is prepared for that because we want people to be paying a fair price, paying the same price and enjoying the product on the ice.''

"We could get 15,000 people into the arena if we gave away 5,000 seats,'' he added. "That's not fair to the community, to the players and the folks paying $100 sitting next to a guy paying 10.''

It didn't help the Panthers' cause that they went 0-4-2 in the preseason and have started the season at 0-2-1, including their most lopsided home opener Saturday, a 5-1 shellacking by the Devils.

On Tuesday afternoon, Cifu tried to calm down the furor over Monday's meager turnout by telling fans to be patient with them.

"When it comes to hockey in South Florida, we can assure our fans that the past is not prologue. We invested a lot of money in the offseason in the right players for our franchise long term. Vinnie and I have said we will earn through honesty, integrity and transparency the patronage of each and every person who comes to our games.

"Like anything under construction there will be costs and things may look dim before they turn bright, but that is the price of building a model organization that we can all be proud of. Nothing comes free.''

The players realize that after two straight seasons finishing 30th and 29th in the league that they need to win to win back the fans.

"I don't pay attention when I'm playing,'' Panthers goalie Roberto Luongo said after Monday's 1-0 loss. "I focus on my job. If we want to get some people in the stands we have to start winning some hockey games."

First-year Panther center Derek MacKenzie agreed.

"You can always find excuses," MacKenzie said. "If you got 20,000 people getting on you it's just as bad, right? For us, our main concern is playing for each other. The owners have made it clear what the expectations are and where this organization has to go.

"We understand it's not going to be easy as far as putting fans in the stands until we do our part."

Panthers new coach Gerard Gallant is still seeking his first win, but he also downplayed the attendance.

"That's part of the game and you get used to that stuff,'' Gallant said of the crowd.

Some diehard fans said they're concerned about the possibility of relocation, although the owners and NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman have repeatedly said no such plan is in place.

"I hate to say this but it feels like we're seeing the end of a franchise,'' John Butler, a season-ticket holder for three years from Tamarac, said from his upper level perch. "So many rumors are flying around and [the owners] sent out a letter restating their commitment to South Florida. It doesn't feel totally positive.

"If they do leave we'll be sad, but we're still coming because we love hockey and are happy to be here,'' added Butler's wife, Alaina.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Florida has never been a hockey hotbed and probably never will be. The sooner Bobblehead Bettman realize that the better.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

So much for Willie Desjardins' return to Dallas. Stars hammered the Canucks for 6 goals in a 6-3 victory
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Just when the Canucks have rebounded with a 3-game winning streak, Alex Burrows has been suspended 3 games by NHL for a hit on Alexei Emelin. :bang:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It was deserved. Both Miller and Price were outstanding in the nets.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Very small revenge and consolation in at least the Canucks won their third straight win over the Oilers last night. :good:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

After allowing the first two Colorado goals Canucks score the next 5 for a 5-2 victory. Bo Horvat made his NHL debut. Nice way to start a 4 game road trip. Next 3 (LA, San Jose and Anaheim) will be tough.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canucks win 2-1 in a shootout against the Ducks. Former Canuck Ryan Kesler had a chance to prolong the shootout but failed to score