It had to happen

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

From the Embarrassing Moments in Football file, Stephen Tullock Detroit Lions' OLB "pulls a Gramática."

Lions confirm: Stephen Tulloch tore ACL celebrating

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 22, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT

It’s bad enough he was compared to a Gramatica.

Now Stephen Tulloch has the entire season to plan his next celebration.

The Lions confirmed that Tulloch tore his ACL yesterday while celebrating a sack, and would be placed on injured reserve.

As difficult a break as it was, Lions coach Jim Caldwell knows it’s hard to curb such celebrations.

“It’s not going to happen,” Caldwell said. “This is an emotional game. We want enthusiasm.”

The Lions thought they ended their bizarre injury luck when they let veteran receiver/pizza delivery guy Nate Burleson go this offseason, but this may be even worse.

In a related development, high fives have been prohibited, and Ndamukong Suh has been given a big, soft, fuzzy boot to wear when he feels like stomping someone.

Here's the video:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 12919.html

Not CFL, but thought forumers would be interested....

For anyone who missed it the first time, here's a video of Bill Gramática's self-inflicted injury from a 2001 game--Cardinals vs. Giants.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/arizona-cardi ... elebration
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Seemed like an innocent looking play
Rodu
Champion

I was sitting here, thinking who? Then I saw this was Detroit Lions not BC Lions
South Pender
Legend

Brief follow-up. Tulloch says he'd do it again.

Stephen Tulloch on tearing his ACL celebrating: “I’d do it again”

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 27, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

Lions linebacker Stephen Tulloch made an early bid for the NFL’s Bonehead Play of the Year Award (if there was one) when he jumped up and down and tore his ACL while celebrating a sack on Sunday. But Tulloch doesn’t see how he did anything wrong.

Asked by the Detroit Free Press if he regrets it, Tulloch answered, “Hell, no.”

“I’d do it again, brother. You do it every time. If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen. Just a matter of time,” Tulloch said.

Tulloch had been remarkably durable throughout his NFL career until that torn ACL, and he said his first major injury doesn’t change the way he approaches the game.

“I’ve played a long time in this league and I understand you’re susceptible to this kind of injury when you go out there and play,” Tulloch said. “Nine years without missing a game is kind of crazy, but like I said I’m positive because I believe in my hard work, I believe in my training and what I do in the off-season and how I approach things, so I know I’ll be back even better than before.”

When Tulloch does make it back, he’d be wise to temper his celebrations.

I'm not sure just what the best response would be to the question Tulloch was asked, but I don't think this is it (if he means what he says). :wink:

MOD EDIT - have moved this from the "CFL Forum" to "All Sports," as it pertains to the National Football League. DH
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Speaking of torn ACLs here's an unusual incident from a minor league baseball playoff game just last night (Friday). The batter hit a home run, which happened to tie the game, but in running the bases he tripped on first base and injured himself (it was later revealed as an ACL tear). He didn't even initially realise it went for a homer and as per the rules (no assist from teammates or a pinchrunner allowed) he was forced to hop on one foot for the final 270 feet in order for his game-tying run to count, and evidently exited the game immediately thereafter.

[video][/video]

Indy-Leaguer tears ACL after hitting homer, hops around bases on one leg

Moj was just moments ago talking about both this incident and the Tulloch one, on 1040.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.