Don Taylor done with tv...for now anyways

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/08/0 ... on-taylor/

Well tomorrow would be my last day to hear/see Don Taylor on SPORTSNET. Big loss, IMO. I realize that there is more to this but I am going to miss Taylor. And his scthick "well you left your barbecue behind" (or insert any number of things a TV guest would not bring to a sports news set). Sports Page? Many have never seen or heard of it. I'm getting to be an old fossil......

At least Taylor will still have his BMac and Taylor gig....!
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Don hosted Dan Russells old gig a few years back too. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I used to like his sports news gig. Top shelf where Mom hid the peanut butter.

For sports talk shows, have not seen or heard for ... ever. Last times I heard, he seemed bored.

Good guy.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Qman
Champion

I suspect that TEAM will be rebranded to TSN 1040 in near future, similar to all of Bell's other sports stations across the country. Sportsnet probably wouldn't want one of their stars working under the TSN banner.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:I used to like his sports news gig. Top shelf where Mom hid the peanut butter.

For sports talk shows, have not seen or heard for ... ever. Last times I heard, he seemed bored.

Good guy.
That was my favourite too but followed closely by "he put it upstairs, where Norman keeps his mother" (one friend had to ask me what that one meant!)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Whenever Andrew Brunette scores, the assists always go to Redhead and Blondie
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:I used to like his sports news gig. Top shelf where Mom hid the peanut butter.

Good guy.
That was my favourite too but followed closely by "he put it upstairs, where Norman keeps his mother" (one friend had to ask me what that one meant!)
LOL ... Too funny. Thanks for the chuckle, don and nota.

He always worked in old numbers at some point. "Wearing Dennis Kearns' number six." Nice touch.

Back in the day I liked Barry Houlihan. In the 1994 Cup Finals, he was funny and fun in the street in New York. I heard he became a real estate salesman, as did ex-Canuck Garry Monahan.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I like a lot of the local sportcasters. Lots of women doing a great job sportscasting.

Barry Houlihan? Yes, the name rings a big bell. IIRC, didn't he play for the Lions? I think he was a football player because he played football at a time when my highschool (Britannia Secondary) had a football program. Not sure if that led to him doing an awesome job covering the Lions or he actually suited up for them?

Of course, even when I went to Britannia there was a tough but AWESOME PhysEd Teacker named B Vance who apparently at one time ran a great football team. His daughter Jody certainly went on to work alongside Don Taylor and even become known on the national stage.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:I like a lot of the local sportcasters. Lots of women doing a great job sportscasting.

Barry Houlihan? Yes, the name rings a big bell. IIRC, didn't he play for the Lions? I think he was a football player because he played football at a time when my highschool (Britannia Secondary) had a football program. Not sure if that led to him doing an awesome job covering the Lions or he actually suited up for them?

Of course, even when I went to Britannia there was a tough but AWESOME PhysEd Teacker named B Vance who apparently at one time ran a great football team. His daughter Jody certainly went on to work alongside Don Taylor and even become known on the national stage.
Small world, I'm a Britannia alumni. Yes Barry Houlihan played running back for Britannia. I believe he got a scholarship to the University of Washington. He was a promising running back for the Lions til he was seriously injured in a vehicle accident. (He felled asleep behind the wheel). He was very lucky to survive. Apparently he suffered broken bones, ruptured spleen and other serious injuries.

Bill Vance was coach of the Bruins football team. He was one tough SOB no nonsense coach but was well respected. Even today some of his former players still stay in touch with him.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
notahomer wrote:I like a lot of the local sportcasters. Lots of women doing a great job sportscasting.

Small world, I'm a Britannia alumni. Yes Barry Houlihan played running back for Britannia. I believe he got a scholarship to the University of Washington. He was a promising running back for the Lions til he was seriously injured in a vehicle accident. (He felled asleep behind the wheel). He was very lucky to survive. Apparently he suffered broken bones, ruptured spleen and other serious injuries.

Bill Vance was coach of the Bruins football team. He was one tough SOB no nonsense coach but was well respected. Even today some of his former players still stay in touch with him.
Taylor is going to be with TSN 1040 and 1410 and contribute to their other TSN radio stations across Canada. Good to see him land on his feet.

A story my ex-SFU pals on the Lions told me about Houlihan meeting new HC of the BC Lions right after his appointment. The Lions had all the lower mainland guys to meet Rapp. Rapp was talking to the guys when Barry sauntered in hi-fiving the guys and interrupting the proceedings. Rapp stopped speaking and then said something like: 'I don't who the *bleep* you are but if your plans include the BC Lions sit down and shut up.' That sent the entire team a message that a new Sheriff arrived and he was old school. I think Vic's worse mistake was how he treated Canadian all star Wayne Smith who got into an "insubordination" issue with Coach Rapp. IIRC players felt that Vic treated him like crap and this guy could play. Vic seemed to be luv 'em or hate 'im sort of coach. He was tight with Tyrone Walls and cried at cutting him IIRC.

\
Wayne Smith had a 12 year CFL career as a defensive end from 1969 to 1980 as a defensive end. Smith played his first seven years in Ottawa where he enjoyed his greatest success, winning both East and CFL All-Stars at defensive end in 1972 and 1974. Smith was also the runner-up for the top defensive player in the CFL in 1974, losing to John Helton. Smith went to two Grey Cups with the Rough Riders in those years, winning in his rookie season in 1969 and again in 1973.

Following his stint in Ottawa, Smith went on to play one season in BC (1976). Smith ran into trouble with Lions' coach Vic Rapp for what Rapp described as insubordination, and was traded to Toronto in June of 1977 for lineback Marv Allemang, receiver Al Charuk and defensive back Larry Uteck.. Smith spent two and a half years with Toronto (1977-1979), before being traded to Saskatchwan in September of 1979 for future considerations. Smith would finish the 1979 season with the green Riders and start the 1980 season with them before finishing his career with Hamilton. Smith's son, also named Wayne, has since gone on to also play in the CFL.
http://www.cflapedia.com/Players/s/smith_wayne_a.htm

Houlihan's crash was very severe and police I know at the scene said they don't know how anyone could have survived. He was a good sports broadcaster.

http://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2014/9/4/F ... 41031.aspx
Camp proves Clan have depth at quarterback; Houlihan to be recognized with '74 Clan sqaud
9/4/2014 5:06:00 PM
Bookmark and Share
Chap and QB's
Burnaby, BC - A tightly contested battle at the quarterback position was closely watched by new head coach Jacques Chapdelaine this fall camp, as three players worked hard to prove they could master the offence in time for the season openerthis Saturday against the Menlo Oaks at Swangard Stadium at 12:00 p.m.

HOULIHAN TO BE RECOGNIZED ALONG WITH 1974 CLAN

Barry Houlihan will be recognized along with his former teammates on Saturday at the SFU football home opener.

Houlihan was a runningback both at the University of Washington and Simon Fraser.

After his collegiate career, he went on to play for the BC Lions in the CFL until 1977, even earning a tryout with the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League.

Following his playing career he went on to a successful career in the media where he has worked with CKVU-TV before a long run with BCTV Vancouver.

He is currently a realtor with Homelife Maple Ridge.

In addition to a successful collegiate and professional football career, Houlihan is a Shrine Bowl Champion. He scored two touchdowns on November 13, 1970 as his Brittania team defeated Carson Graham.

Tickets for SFU's home opener against the Menlo Oaks at Swangard Stadium are on sale now starting as low as $8.00. Fans can order tickets by emailing tickets@sfu.ca. Season tickets are still available, starting at just $50.00 for all six Clan home games. More information is available at athletics.sfu.ca.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy