Science World's Science of Sports

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I see Science World has had a feature exhibit running since May 31 (continuing through Sep 1) on the science of sports. Their website was kind of short on details (not sure to me whether it's mostly aimed at kids or perhaps an older audience). Has anyone taken the opportunity to check it out?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hutch85
All Star

The kids & I were there a couple of weeks ago, from what I recall it seemed to be mostly targeted to kids (although I admit to having an inner kid!).

There was a pitching cage (or was it a batting cage? I can't recall, we didn't really look at it closely), a rowing simulator, a climbing wall that rotated (try and stay on!), a wheelchair race-type of exhibit (ok, so my arms can't propel this big old body very well!), a balance beam, sprinting, and a jumping exhibit (try and land softer than a cat - not!). I think there were a couple of more things but since we were hitting the end of our parking meter time (and this was the last part of Science World that we toured), it was a pretty quick tour thru that part and I might have missed things. I do recall seeing more information-type exhibits about the body's muscles and how exercise helps strengthen bones, but that may have been somewhere else in Science World.

There were also other sport/exercise exhibits in the central area such as the skiing simulator, grip strength tester, high-jump tester (i.e. how high can you jump and light the measurement board), and a biathlon-type targeting gun.

Hope that helps somewhat.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hutch85 wrote:The kids & I were there a couple of weeks ago, from what I recall it seemed to be mostly targeted to kids (although I admit to having an inner kid!).

There was a pitching cage (or was it a batting cage? I can't recall, we didn't really look at it closely), a rowing simulator, a climbing wall that rotated (try and stay on!), a wheelchair race-type of exhibit (ok, so my arms can't propel this big old body very well!), a balance beam, sprinting, and a jumping exhibit (try and land softer than a cat - not!). I think there were a couple of more things but since we were hitting the end of our parking meter time (and this was the last part of Science World that we toured), it was a pretty quick tour thru that part and I might have missed things. I do recall seeing more information-type exhibits about the body's muscles and how exercise helps strengthen bones, but that may have been somewhere else in Science World.

There were also other sport/exercise exhibits in the central area such as the skiing simulator, grip strength tester, high-jump tester (i.e. how high can you jump and light the measurement board), and a biathlon-type targeting gun.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Thanks, Hutch. Unfortunately for lionbackers, sounds like there weren't any (or at least not very many) specifically football-related aspects to what they had. Seems to be more all-around fitness-related activities, but these days, this probably isn't a bad thing to encourage kids to excel at. I thought maybe they'd have something like what I've seen at the pre-game street party and in past on-field gameday promotions where you throw a ball at a target and/or it measures your throwing velocity.

I wonder what Cameron Wake could do in the jumping exhibit. Or Patrick Kabongo LOL.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.