LeBron and the Cavs win the NBA title

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Report: LeBron to announce return to Cleveland

Sportsnet Staff

July 10, 2014, 1:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sitting down?

Good, because according to a report from Chris Sheridan, LeBron James has made his decision to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers, and is expected to make the announcement before leaving to catch the World Cup final in Brazil on Sunday.

Apart from immediately shifting the balance of power in the East, the move will carry a substantial ripple effect across the NBA in terms of player movement and where the remaining free agents will wind up. For example, a recent report suggested that Chris Bosh’s decision to return to Miami or not was on hold until LeBron chose his next team, and that the former Toronto Raptor will sign with the Houston Rockets should James leave. And there are many more dominoes to fall from there.

A native of nearby Akron, Ohio, James was selected by Cleveland with the first overall pick of the 2003 draft. He took the team to the NBA Finals in 2007 and three seasons later made an exodus to Miami, where he went on to win two titles and appear in four consecutive NBA Finals.

Should James return to the Cavs, he will join an exciting young team that features Kyrie Irving and Canadians Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, and Anthony Bennett, as well as first-time NBA head coach David Blatt.

James is reported to be seeking a max contract offer that will pay him in the neighbourhood of $20 million per season.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

... according to a report from Chris Sheridan, LeBron James has made his decision to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers, and is expected to make the announcement before leaving to catch the World Cup final in Brazil on Sunday.
A native of nearby Akron, Ohio, James was selected by Cleveland with the first overall pick of the 2003 draft. He took the team to the NBA Finals in 2007 and three seasons later made an exodus to Miami, where he went on to win two titles and appear in four consecutive NBA Finals.
Should James return to the Cavs, he will join an exciting young team that features Kyrie Irving and Canadians Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, and Anthony Bennett, as well as first-time NBA head coach David Blatt.
James is reported to be seeking a max contract offer that will pay him in the neighbourhood of $20 million per season.
James is on his way to becoming a billionaire. Sources report that Michael Jordan has reached that plateau. Tiger Woods was there in 2009, but no doubt lost a lot in his divorce settlement. Ouch.

I am not an NBA fan anymore. I have never been a LeBron fan. I defer to those people in Cleveland to welcome him back, or to forever vilify him. But this may bring closure for some fans in Cleveland. If ... the rumour turns out to be true.

He has two titles. If he returns to Cleveland, it would be nice if he can take the team to the Finals once again.

I know this can be a heated issue. I am kind of impartial. But, if it happens, it is big news in the world of sport.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wonder if he will be hosting another TV special to announce his return
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That is insane. The cost of attending a sporting event these days is unaffordable for the average Joe.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
That is insane. The cost of attending a sporting event these days is unaffordable for the average Joe.
:bang: How true....
TheLionKing wrote:I wonder if he will be hosting another TV special to announce his return
:rotf:

Cleveland DESERVES a championship (NFL, NBA) but with Lebron? Oh no.....
cromartie
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: Cleveland DESERVES a championship (NFL, NBA) but with Lebron? Oh no.....
Take it from someone who lives here. They don't deserve a championship.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The owner is going to have to do a lot of fence mending given all the negative comments on Lebron's departure to Miami.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
notahomer wrote: Cleveland DESERVES a championship (NFL, NBA) but with Lebron? Oh no.....
Take it from someone who lives here. They don't deserve a championship.
Okay, I get that.

Couple of questions then (not being sarcastic)....Do they deserve Lebron James?

Based on an outsiders view I would have said "NO" they deserve better but by your take maybe the city/James deserve each other?

(BTW-I based my 'deserving' a championship on reading books economic/sports that talk about the decline of cities like Cleveland due to loss of manufacturing. Another can of worms I'm also sure you'd know much more about as someone who lives there.)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LeBron picks Cavs: King James returns to Cleveland

by Andrew Melnick 6h ago

The best player in the NBA doesn’t become a free agent very often, and that is what LeBron James has been dealing with the past few days, however after careful consideration, he has decided to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers. The news broke on Friday morning in an exclusive by Sports Illustrated.

More From NBA7/11 - Pat Riley, Miami Heat release statement on LeBron James deicison
7/11 - Pau Gasol turns down Los Angeles Lakers’ offer, will likely be moving on
7/11 - Jordan Hill re-signs with the Los Angeles Lakers
7/11 - Phoenix Suns to acquire Isaiah Thomas deal from Sacramento Kings
7/11 - Miami Heat rumors: Heat to pursue Luol Deng, Trevor Ariza

In the case of LeBron James, he has now been an unrestricted free agent twice in his career. Back in 2010, James famously left the Cleveland Cavaliers to sign with the Miami Heat in a nationally televised show called The Decision. Since then James has enjoyed great success, leading the Heat two four Eastern Conference Championships, four appearances in the NBA Finals and two NBA Titles. James has been named MVP of the league twice with the Heat and was named MVP of the Finals in both of the Heat’s victories. All in all, James seems to have made the right decision. However, with the Heat falling to the San Antonio Spurs in what was a relatively easy victory for the Spurs, winning in five games, James has taken the offseason to think about his future.

When James opted out of his contract with the Heat, it seemed like a foregone conclusion, he and the rest of the big three would return to the Heat. Most believed they were simply looking for more security and were hoping that Heat president Pat Riley could add to an aging roster that obviously needed some tweaks.

As the days went on and James remained silent, more and more reports began to surface that James was legitimately interested in a return to Cleveland. One reporter even labeled it a “90% chance” James was returning to Cleveland. On Wednesday, the Cavaliers completed a three team deal that sent swingman Sergey Karasev and point guard Jarrett Jack to the Brooklyn Nets and big man Tyler Zeller and a future first-round draft pick to the Boston Celtics. That deal gave the Cavaliers the cap space required to sign James to a max contract.

Since losing James in 2010, the Cavaliers have added three number one overall picks (They selected point guard Kyrie Irving, who recently agreed to a max extension with the Cavaliers in 2011, forward Anthony Bennett in 2013 and used the top-overall selection on swingman Andrew Wiggins just last month), two fourth-overall picks (They took big man Tristan Thompson in 2011 and guard Dion Waiters in 2012) and still have a favorite of James, big man Anderson Varejão.

The Cavaliers are also reportedly in the mix to acquire Minnesota Timberwolves’ power forward Kevin Love.

James averaged 27.1 points, 6.9 rebounds, 6.4 assists and 1.6 steals per game while shooting 56.7% from the field, 37.9% from three and 75.0% from the charity stripe last season. In his storied career, James has averaged 27.5 points, 7.2 rebounds, 6.9 assists and 1.7 steals per game while shooting 49.7% from the field, 34.1% from beyond the arc and 74.7% from the free throw line.

FanSided has created a video to welcome James back to Cleveland.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I have never been a LeBron fan. Back in the day I actually liked Carmelo Anthony better coming out of college. LOL Carmelo still has that amazing talent. But LeBron, with some serious help, has actually won a couple of titles.

I like this move. Some closure for long suffering Cleveland fans. Jilted by LeBron. Time for a reconciliation?

I have to say that I have not heard any scandals related to LeBron's personal life. He seems to be a good role model in terms of how he lives.

So, with this move, I find I am actually becoming somewhat favourably disposed towards LeBron. Previously he seemed immature and far too ready to pout. He also seemed to cave a number of times under the pressure of competitive sports.

A title for Cleveland? Who knows? But I like this move for more personal reasons.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

If there's one thing I find a little nauseating about the James situation is how the signing news is portrayed. Traditionally it's carried as Team Such 'n Such has signed Player So & So. With Lebron it comes across as Lebron has chosen Miami or Lebron has chosen Cleveland.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Interesting comment I heard a week or so ago was that Lebron who is arguably the best player in the game has never been the highest paid player in the league or even the highest paid player on his team. Not sure if that's accurate or not. The NBA's Larry Bird Rule allows for teams to re-sign their own FA's for more than max with portions not counting against the cap. Lebron getting $20m/season still keeps him earning less the current highest paid players. Currently Kobe Bryant tops the list at $25m. Amar'e Stoudemire,is at $23.4m, Joe Johnson $23.2m, Dwight Howard $21.2m and Chris Paul $20.06m round out those in the $20m+ range with Chris Bosh soon to join them after apparently being close to re-signing in Miami for 5 years and $118m.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

by LeBron James (as told to Lee Jenkins)

Posted: Fri Jul. 11, 2014Updated: Sat Jul. 12, 2014

Before anyone ever cared where I would play basketball, I was a kid from Northeast Ohio. It’s where I walked. It’s where I ran. It’s where I cried. It’s where I bled. It holds a special place in my heart. People there have seen me grow up. I sometimes feel like I’m their son. Their passion can be overwhelming. But it drives me. I want to give them hope when I can. I want to inspire them when I can. My relationship with Northeast Ohio is bigger than basketball. I didn’t realize that four years ago. I do now.

Remember when I was sitting up there at the Boys & Girls Club in 2010? I was thinking, This is really tough. I could feel it. I was leaving something I had spent a long time creating. If I had to do it all over again, I’d obviously do things differently, but I’d still have left. Miami, for me, has been almost like college for other kids. These past four years helped raise me into who I am. I became a better player and a better man. I learned from a franchise that had been where I wanted to go. I will always think of Miami as my second home. Without the experiences I had there, I wouldn’t be able to do what I’m doing today.

I went to Miami because of D-Wade and CB. We made sacrifices to keep UD. I loved becoming a big bro to Rio. I believed we could do something magical if we came together. And that’s exactly what we did! The hardest thing to leave is what I built with those guys. I’ve talked to some of them and will talk to others. Nothing will ever change what we accomplished. We are brothers for life. I also want to thank Micky Arison and Pat Riley for giving me an amazing four years.

I’m doing this essay because I want an opportunity to explain myself uninterrupted. I don’t want anyone thinking: He and Erik Spoelstra didn’t get along. … He and Riles didn’t get along. … The Heat couldn’t put the right team together. That’s absolutely not true.

I’m not having a press conference or a party. After this, it’s time to get to work.

When I left Cleveland, I was on a mission. I was seeking championships, and we won two. But Miami already knew that feeling. Our city hasn’t had that feeling in a long, long, long time. My goal is still to win as many titles as possible, no question. But what’s most important for me is bringing one trophy back to Northeast Ohio.

I always believed that I’d return to Cleveland and finish my career there. I just didn’t know when. After the season, free agency wasn’t even a thought. But I have two boys and my wife, Savannah, is pregnant with a girl. I started thinking about what it would be like to raise my family in my hometown. I looked at other teams, but I wasn’t going to leave Miami for anywhere except Cleveland. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy.

To make the move I needed the support of my wife and my mom, who can be very tough. The letter from Dan Gilbert, the booing of the Cleveland fans, the jerseys being burned -- seeing all that was hard for them. My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, “OK, I don’t want to deal with these people ever again.” But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I’ve met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. We’ve talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I’ve made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge?

I’m not promising a championship. I know how hard that is to deliver. We’re not ready right now. No way. Of course, I want to win next year, but I’m realistic. It will be a long process, much longer than it was in 2010. My patience will get tested. I know that. I’m going into a situation with a young team and a new coach. I will be the old head. But I get a thrill out of bringing a group together and helping them reach a place they didn’t know they could go. I see myself as a mentor now and I’m excited to lead some of these talented young guys. I think I can help Kyrie Irving become one of the best point guards in our league. I think I can help elevate Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters. And I can’t wait to reunite with Anderson Varejao, one of my favorite teammates.

But this is not about the roster or the organization. I feel my calling here goes above basketball. I have a responsibility to lead, in more ways than one, and I take that very seriously. My presence can make a difference in Miami, but I think it can mean more where I’m from. I want kids in Northeast Ohio, like the hundreds of Akron third-graders I sponsor through my foundation, to realize that there’s no better place to grow up. Maybe some of them will come home after college and start a family or open a business. That would make me smile. Our community, which has struggled so much, needs all the talent it can get.

In Northeast Ohio, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have.

I’m ready to accept the challenge. I’m coming home.
IMO This is a good letter. Well crafted. Covers the bases. People can still reject it. But, IMO, It helps the healing.

Robbie
Hall of Famer

2015 NBA Finals - Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Golden State Warriors.

Who will you be rooting for?

Appealing to the pity, it looks like Cleveland is dying for a championship as neither the Indians nor the Browns have won their respective championships for a long, long time while the Giants representing the Bay Area won a couple of World Series over the last couple of years.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I've developed a lot of respect for the Cleveland Cavaliers for fighting back from a 3-1 deficit to tie the series at 3-3 including a dominating game 5 on the road in Oakland and force a take all game 7. Let's see if Cleveland and repeat that great road performance and finally give a championship for the starving city of Cleveland.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。