Gino Odjick

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

VANCOUVER -- Former Vancouver Canucks enforcer Gino Odjick says he has a rare terminal illness.

Odjick, in a letter published Thursday on the Canucks' website, said he was diagnosed with AL (Primary) Amyloidosis two months ago.

"It's causing abnormal protein to be produced and deposits are being formed on my heart," said Odjick. "It's hardening my heart and my doctors aren't sure how long I have to live.

"Initially they thought years, but now they think it could be a lot less. I could be down to months or even weeks."

The 43-year-old Odjick played from 1990-2002 in the NHL, including eight years in Vancouver and two in Montreal. He also played for the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers, recording 64 goals, 73 assists and 2,567 penalty minutes in 605 regular season games. Odjick played 44 playoff games, all with Vancouver, scoring four goals and an assist.

The Maniwaki, Que., native was drafted by the Canucks in the fifth round (86th overall) of the 1990 NHL Draft.

"I feel very fortunate for the support I've received over the years," Odjick said. "During my career I played in some great NHL cities including Vancouver, Long Island, Philadelphia and Montreal.

"In my heart, I will always be a Canuck and I have always had a special relationship here with the fans."

Odjick said he was diagnosed with the disease two days after Pat Quinn was added to Rogers Arena's Ring of Honour in April, and he's been in hospital ever since.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Best wishes, Gino.

God Bless.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shocking news. A real fan favourite in Vancouver. Only 43 years. So sad
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Best wishes Gino.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Best wishes, Gino.

God Bless.
:thup: :thup:
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A flash mob is planned for this Sunday at 1:00 at VGH to offer him support.