2016 Copa América Centenario / UEFA Euro

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well glad it is over. Not much interested in it but am glad that the organizers put on such a good tournament for the Women. They deserve that. More countries need to get into the women's side of things including hosting. Ultimately having only 1 country willing to host is a rather sad commentary on the women's game as it stands in the world as a whole.

Congrats to the US side for a convincing win and to all the participants.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I totally loved this event...until the wrong teams started winning too much, sigh

My 5 worst teams to cheer for, women or men, are Netherlands, Germany, England, France, USA

They all did too well.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I totally loved this event...until the wrong teams started winning too much, sigh

My 5 worst teams to cheer for, women or men, are Netherlands, Germany, England, France, USA

They all did too well.
haha - Your list has some of my favourite teams but normally I go Germany, England, Netherlands, France in mens'. But I have nothing against the USA as it was a good win for them in this venue. Nothing against Japan.

But if you value work effort, collective team play versus individual egos combined with skill - it's best represented in how the Germans play. I've have coached players from across the globe and had two highly skilled Germans (one I think could have gone higher than his semi-pro club IMO) and these are the most coachable of the foreign players I've had the good fortune to work with. Germans in soccer are always organized, disciplined and yet still bring creativity to their play and their egos aren't at the fore.

England sadly is a disappointment and I'm not sure they have the right mix of players and definitely they don't understand that bringing the ball up is the way to win at that level versus rocketing it up field where you chase the game for 75 minutes out of 90.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:England sadly is a disappointment and I'm not sure they have the right mix of players and definitely they don't understand that bringing the ball up is the way to win at that level versus rocketing it up field where you chase the game for 75 minutes out of 90.
I think it all depends on how you look at it and others may think otherwise if you look at its history. Considering that in the last six Women's World Cups, the England women's national football team didn't qualify three times and the other three times lost in the quarterfinals, then finishing third place this time would be a huge achievement. :thup:

And I've said this before and posted similar pictures in the past, but I'll do so again since it's another great example. A picture speaks a thousand words and there's absolutely no doubt whatsoever that these English ladies are much happier and ecstatic with their third place finish: :yahoo:

...than these Japanese ladies who finished in second. :bawl:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

it natural to want to win your last game, no matter the prize.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I totally loved this event...until the wrong teams started winning too much, sigh

They all did too well.
haha - Your list has some of my favourite teams but normally I go Germany, England, Netherlands, France in mens'. But I have nothing against the USA as it was a good win for them in this venue. Nothing against Japan.

But if you value work effort, collective team play versus individual egos combined with skill - it's best represented in how the Germans play. I've have coached players from across the globe and had two highly skilled Germans (one I think could have gone higher than his semi-pro club IMO) and these are the most coachable of the foreign players I've had the good fortune to work with. Germans in soccer are always organized, disciplined and yet still bring creativity to their play and their egos aren't at the fore.

England sadly is a disappointment and I'm not sure they have the right mix of players and definitely they don't understand that bringing the ball up is the way to win at that level versus rocketing it up field where you chase the game for 75 minutes out of 90.
when it comes to soccer, I generally don't cheer for the teams that have contending teams in hockey. That's why I don't cheer for Sweden, Norway, finland, Russia, usa, etc. Also, being of dutch and UK heritage, long story short, I am not proud of either heritage. Then there is Germany, with them being ranked no 1 in both womens and mens soccer, I cant help but imagine a pic of a smug hitler with his master race crap. I know that not fair, but I cant help it. I think I don't like france just because the men beat a team I was cheering for during the last decade, but there might be something else I am forgetting.

In soccer, I like to cheer for spain, Portugal, central and south America, and some African countries, as well as New Zealand and Australia, and of course Canada.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Recycling this international soccer thread, while there's always attention when there's an international soccer event like the FIFA World Cup, I'd say at this moment there's a lot of attention now as well as for the first time a while, there's not one but two international tournaments happening at the same time - one in Europe and one in the Americas.

Which team do you think will win 2016 Copa América Centenario? America has reached to the semi-finals on their home turf.

Which team do you think will win 2016 UEFA European Championship? Host country France has a good opportunity to win home like in 1984 Euro and of course the 1998 World Cup.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Recycling this international soccer thread, while there's always attention when there's an international soccer event like the FIFA World Cup, I'd say at this moment there's a lot of attention now as well as for the first time a while, there's not one but two international tournaments happening at the same time - one in Europe and one in the Americas.

Which team do you think will win 2016 Copa América Centenario? America has reached to the semi-finals on their home turf.

Which team do you think will win 2016 UEFA European Championship? Host country France has a good opportunity to win home like in 1984 Euro and of course the 1998 World Cup.
I am far more interested in the copa, but it doesn't seem to be getting as much media attention.

I like the Spanish\Portuguese speaking countries the best. Ever since I played some with a Mexican team in Toronto.

disappointed Brazil lost. Hope USA doesn't win. Expect Argentina or Columbia to win. Want Mexico to win.

As for Euro, I only cheer for Spain and Portugal, and mayby some for the Swiss. I fear that France or Germany will win. Go Poland.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

well, so much for mexica.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

So Argentina vs. Chile in the Copa América Centenario final. Argentina is the favourite but anything can happen in the final.

Let's see if USA can redeem themselves with 3rd place at home, unlike hosts Brazil two years ago who lost big time in the semi-final then lost the battle for 3rd place.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

USA couldn't salvage third place either as they drop a 1-0 loss to Colombia.
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:USA couldn't salvage third place either as they drop a 1-0 loss to Colombia.
works for me
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Scoreless tie in the 2016 Copa America Centenario at halftime in a foul-filled first half with both countries having a player sent off. It appears to be a aggressive second half.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Scoreless after regulation. Heading to extra time and going to the wire.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Chile wins on penalty kicks 4-2. Very disappointing for Argentina to lose twice in a row on penalty, and for Lionel Messi to completely miss his penalty kick. Kudos to Chile in stopping the very explosive, high scoring Argentinian offence.

Now, on to 2016 UEFA Euro. Which country do you think will win?
祝你龍年行大運。