2016 Copa América Centenario / UEFA Euro

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Penalty shots to determine the winner is ridiculous in games such as the World Cup
It has a lot to do with the need to get the game done and TV feeds and other games and keep the other games going. Also I suspect heat and fatigue. I have less trouble with penalty shots as a soccer coach but hated the old golden goal rule where they stopped OT on a goal.

Germany should defeat France. The only thing I don't like about Germany is not playing a pure striker with Mueller. Klose looked like he would come on but the Germans got that first goal in OT and they weren't going with a Striker with just 3 subs.

Algeria seemed to be chasing the game in the second half and in soccer that is the hardest position to play from as it is harder to play without the ball and defend and still attack. They also expended a ton of energy in frustration with calls and non-calls. A bit their national disposition but it is draining when players get frustrated. Even I as a Germany fan was waiting for a whistle in the second half and OT every time Algeria attacked. The late offside was close and Lahm fouling and grabbing that guy's shorts really impacts teams like Algeria.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: It has a lot to do with the need to get the game done and TV feeds and other games and keep the other games going. Also I suspect heat and fatigue. I have less trouble with penalty shots as a soccer coach but hated the old golden goal rule where they stopped OT on a goal.

Germany should defeat France. The only thing I don't like about Germany is not playing a pure striker with Mueller. Klose looked like he would come on but the Germans got that first goal in OT and they weren't going with a Striker with just 3 subs.

Algeria seemed to be chasing the game in the second half and in soccer that is the hardest position to play from as it is harder to play without the ball and defend and still attack. They also expended a ton of energy in frustration with calls and non-calls. A bit their national disposition but it is draining when players get frustrated. Even I as a Germany fan was waiting for a whistle in the second half and OT every time Algeria attacked. The late offside was close and Lahm fouling and grabbing that guy's shorts really impacts teams like Algeria.
I am no soccer strategist, although I did play a bit as a youth.

Heard some talk from the German coach and from their players. They credit versatility, the ability to change tactics in mid game. The ability to bring in very capable substitutes who change the game. I kind of like that the defending team does not really know where the German attackers will come from. It places a lot of responsibility on the German players to be aware. They always seem to have guys in attacking position at the right time.

Also ... physical strength. Courage. Skill. All top notch. Formidable contender.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: It has a lot to do with the need to get the game done and TV feeds and other games and keep the other games going. Also I suspect heat and fatigue. I have less trouble with penalty shots as a soccer coach but hated the old golden goal rule where they stopped OT on a goal.

Heard some talk from the German coach and from their players. They credit versatility, the ability to change tactics in mid game. The ability to bring in very capable substitutes who change the game. I kind of like that the defending team does not really know where the German attackers will come from. It places a lot of responsibility on the German players to be aware. They always seem to have guys in attacking position at the right time.

Also ... physical strength. Courage. Skill. All top notch. Formidable contender.
China coverage on CCTV just revealed that some of the Algerian players were observing Ramadan requirements - yikes - that involves fasting from dawn to sunset. They didn't say how many this involved. If true, this certainly might have contributed to the cramping that was starting to show but was not with Germany like these guys.

Germany have some great subs (all starters on top teams) and they have been used with great effect. They are playing (in this tourney) a false 9 (meaning no pure goal scoring Sriker) so Klose is on the bench. It worked fantastic vs Portugal as Thomas Mueller (what they call an attacking midfielder) hammered in 3 but I honestly feel that they should play traditional German soccer - highly organized with a Striker who can sniff goals - something that was absent today as balls weren't pounced on in the box late in the game - that is what Klose can do.

I just find that with too many midfielders out there sans a pure Striker that you get too much of the same from the whole group. Not proven but I really like German with a Striker but their first game rout of Portugal gave them the boost for Loewe to sit out Klose and hope Mueller and others can score.

In the game when Schweinsteiger and Klose ( a pure Striker and scorer) came on - both added great jump and they scored in group play.

This false 9 as it is now deemed (I never heard the term during my coaching days and I have books on formations). This is a recent term for what is an old tactic.

Messi is used that way. Can't argue with that guy.

They argue that a pure Striker - alone up the park - is easily man marked and taken out of the game but it is harder to man mark say a Lionel Messi who drifts into midfield and moves around. I have man marked a team's most prolific scorer or goal scoring play maker but I don't think that is exactly why they fail to use a Striker versus play making midfielders who are more readily all goal side of the ball when the opponent attacks.

If they man mark my Striker and play a Sweeper (which we don't see much of in top soccer any more) then I push my Striker up the park to accept man marking and this creates deep 1 on 1's which I'll gladly accept as my Goalee has the Striker as his first read when he gets the ball. I've always had a fast Striker who can run the balls down and who is good in the air. My Goalee looks to see if there are 1 on 1 's or 2 on 2's and if so he punts for the open spaces wide of the top of the two. If that is not on - the second read is a toss to the backs and 3rd and final read is a punt upfield where he will try to get the ball in the air in a way the Striker can hold his defender and come back to the ball for a flick on header - easier said than done even for pros.

German keeper today made a brilliant punt up field that was low and created a corner for Germany. Pros don't caught as much outnumbered at the back or pure 1 on 1 with space for Goalees to punt too. BUT too much of that and you're "chasing the game" which is the worst scenario. You have to possess - something that Canadian soccer has lost sight of. I hate how they select and how they play now.

The subs today did the same for Germany.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

China coverage on CCTV just revealed that some of the Algerian players were observing Ramadan requirements - yikes - that involves fasting from dawn to sunset. They didn't say how many this involved. If true, this certainly might have contributed to the cramping that was starting to show but was not with Germany like these guys.

Germany have some great subs (all starters on top teams) and they have been used with great effect. They are playing (in this tourney) a false 9 (meaning no pure goal scoring Sriker) so Klose is on the bench. It worked fantastic vs Portugal as Thomas Mueller (what they call an attacking midfielder) hammered in 3 but I honestly feel that they should play traditional German soccer - highly organized with a Striker who can sniff goals - something that was absent today as balls weren't pounced on in the box late in the game - that is what Klose can do.

I just find that with too many midfielders out there sans a pure Striker that you get too much of the same from the whole group. Not proven but I really like German with a Striker but their first game rout of Portugal gave them the boost for Loewe to sit out Klose and hope Mueller and others can score.

In the game when Schweinsteiger and Klose ( a pure Striker and scorer) came on - both added great jump and they scored in group play.

This false 9 as it is now deemed (I never heard the term during my coaching days and I have books on formations). This is a recent term for what is an old tactic.

Messi is used that way. Can't argue with that guy.

They argue that a pure Striker - alone up the park - is easily man marked and taken out of the game but it is harder to man mark say a Lionel Messi who drifts into midfield and moves around. I have man marked a team's most prolific scorer or goal scoring play maker but I don't think that is exactly why they fail to use a Striker versus play making midfielders who are more readily all goal side of the ball when the opponent attacks.

If they man mark my Striker and play a Sweeper (which we don't see much of in top soccer any more) then I push my Striker up the park to accept man marking and this creates deep 1 on 1's which I'll gladly accept as my Goalee has the Striker as his first read when he gets the ball. I've always had a fast Striker who can run the balls down and who is good in the air. My Goalee looks to see if there are 1 on 1 's or 2 on 2's and if so he punts for the open spaces wide of the top of the two. If that is not on - the second read is a toss to the backs and 3rd and final read is a punt upfield where he will try to get the ball in the air in a way the Striker can hold his defender and come back to the ball for a flick on header - easier said than done even for pros.

German keeper today made a brilliant punt up field that was low and created a corner for Germany. Pros don't caught as much outnumbered at the back or pure 1 on 1 with space for Goalees to punt too. BUT too much of that and you're "chasing the game" which is the worst scenario. You have to possess - something that Canadian soccer has lost sight of. I hate how they select and how they play now.

The subs today did the same for Germany.
Great post, Toppy. Enjoyable read even for one who is not a futbol fanatic.

I have been disappointed that despite the seemingly hundreds of thousands kids playing soccer in Canada we are so lost at the top levels. Back in the 1970s I thought the future of Canadian soccer was very bright. Right now it seems we are nowhere. What the heck happened, Toppy? And is there any hope for the future?

National breakthroughs need individuals to break through. In tennis now we have Genie Bouchard and Milos Raonic, and that bodes well for tennis. In golf, Mike Weir inspired youngsters to go for the top. We don't see it yet, but there are young players nearing breakthroughs. We see it in MLB after Larry Walker. Ryan Dempster. Joey Votto. Justin Morneau.

We see it in basketball. Steve Nash is certainly a large part of that. Two top NBA draft picks in a row. Three in the first round this year. Loads of talent, and eager to play for Canada internationally.

NFL ... Lots of guys at that level.

Winter Olympics. Right at the top.

Soccer?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Belgium beat US 2-1 in extra time to advance to the next round. American goalie Tim Howard was outstanding keeping the US in the game.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Wow, the shock of the century! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Germany 5
Host Brazil 0

after 30 minutes!
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Now:

Germany 7
Brazil nil

Will Brazilians still root for them in the 3rd place match? :juggle: :surrender: :puke:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Final:

Germany 7
Brazil 1

The answer to a trivia question in the years to come: Who scored the lone Brazilian goal?
A: Oscar (aka Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Júnior)
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I realize Brazil was undermanned with the loss of Neymar but I didn't see this coming. A devastating loss for the host nation.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I realize Brazil was undermanned with the loss of Neymar but I didn't see this coming. A devastating loss for the host nation.
I can only wonder how they spent the previous 24 hrs
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I realize Brazil was undermanned with the loss of Neymar but I didn't see this coming. A devastating loss for the host nation.
Me too! Did not see this coming. Germany gets by Brazil, okay. Germany DESTROYS Brazil... :dizzy:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

The final is now set: Germany vs. Argentina

What I like about this World Cup compared to the one in 2010 is that the annoying vuvuzelas sound isn't heard anymore and FIFA has improved their officiating.

It will be rematch from both the 1986 World Cup in which Argentina won 3-2 over the then West Germany:
[video][/video]

While Germany won 1-0 with a very debatable penalty kick goal late in regulation:
[video][/video]

What country will break the deadlock this year? Reply to my new poll.
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder who the Brazilian fans will be cheering for. Their hated arch rival from Argentina or the Germans who humiliated their team
Robbie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder who the Brazilian fans will be cheering for. Their hated arch rival from Argentina or the Germans who humiliated their team
I'd say most Brazilian fans will still cheer for their CONMEBOL partners, Argentina. There actually hasn't been too much direct rivalry as far as direct elimination playoff games between the two. Copa América is a different story, but as far as the FIFA World Cup the last time the two countries played in an elimination game was back in 1990 and from 1974, 1978, and 1982 there was a different playoff format in that the second stage consisted of another set of round robin games and both countries were in the same group but they were not one-game elimination formats.
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Wonder who the Brazilian fans will be cheering for. Their hated arch rival from Argentina or the Germans who humiliated their team
I'd say most Brazilian fans will still cheer for their CONMEBOL partners, Argentina. There actually hasn't been too much direct rivalry as far as direct elimination playoff games between the two. Copa América is a different story, but as far as the FIFA World Cup the last time the two countries played in an elimination game was back in 1990 and from 1974, 1978, and 1982 there was a different playoff format in that the second stage consisted of another set of round robin games and both countries were in the same group but they were not one-game elimination formats.
This loss of such an immense proportion by Brazil will hasten the focus of their people back on their government as their Presidential election is not far off. CCTV out of China and CNN International have run a lot of what I guess are called "back stories" where they've interviewed the people of Brazil and look at the usual folks who are forced to move due to a stadium, etc - While this happened in the UK Oympics too, these are minor issues compared to how Brazil citizens view their gov't blowing billions on the World Cup while their health care, transportation and housing problems are so massive. It sort of makes you wonder how FIFA could give them the World Cup knowing how bad these other issues as the only thing a World Cup win would have done for Brazil would be a temp feel good. I got the sense from interviews in Brazil that their folks including rabid soccer fans reqlly question their gov't doing this. And here comes the 2016 OLYMPICS! Insane.

As to who they cheer for ---- Argentina - their close rival or the Germans who hammered them - I don't pretend to know. It might be like the Lions losing to Calgary and going to the Grey Cup. Some will want the West to win on principle (equal to Brazil fans wanting Argentina to win to keep the cup in South America at least) while others might remember how Calgary players trashed the Lions in talk (hypothetical) and will want the East to win (same as Brazilians who will want Germany to win).

Germans seemed to be quite nice to the Brazil team after the loss. They showed a lot of class. Scolari and the German team hugs and how Scolari was hammering on his own chest in his on field post game talk to his team (seemingly saying that was on him) rather than them all running off the field fast was pretty classy. I can't imagine a losing North American team staying on the field.