YAY Kraptors lost

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

YIPPEEE

This is dog chows finest hour
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:YIPPEEE

LOL. Lovely to see Toronto teams lose....(I agree). :wink:
Spud387
Champion

Normally I am all over this bandwagon as I will cheer against any Toronto team, but the one thing I hate more than Toronto is teams throwing a game.

Brooklyn threw their last regular season game so that they got to face TOR in the playoffs. I hate that and wished TOR beat them (and would then loose 4 straight in the 2nd round)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Spud387 wrote:Normally I am all over this bandwagon as I will cheer against any Toronto team
Oh really, gentlemen? :wag: :hmm: :devil:

Because if that's the case, why did all of Canada including Vancouver (well maybe not Montreal) have a huge blast and party hardy when the Blue Jays won the World Series in 1992 and again in 1993? Aren't the Blue Jays a Toronto team too? :tease:
[video][/video]
[video][/video]
I'm sure a lot of Vancouverites take a lot of excitement and consider Joe Carter's walk-off home run as one of their best sports memories.

Would someone like to explain why Vancouverites don't seem to view the Raptors the same way they do the Blue Jays?

And if someone can speak on behalf of the city for the favourite basketball team, which NBA team do most Vancouverites root for?

Possibly...

1. Los Angeles Lakers because their local boy Steve Nash plays for them?
2. Portland Trail Blazers which is the closest team geographically after the departures of both the Vancouver Grizzlies and the Seattle Supersonics?
3. Toronto Raptors as the only Canadian-based team now?
4. Memphis Grizzlies as the legacy of the Vancouver Grizzlies?

On a final note, the man who was responsible for the Vancouver Grizzlies departure, Michael Heisley, passed away last week. I don't expect Vancouver to have any good memories of him at all because when he bought the team he stated that he intended to keep the team in Vancouver but immediately afterwards started to find a suitable relocation city in the US. :bang:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I was never on the Jays bandwagon.

NBA has no business being in Canada, neither does the MLB. I was so glad when the expos went and I was overjoyed when we lost the grizzlies. Only in Toronto would the USA product be so well embraced
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I was never on the Jays bandwagon.

NBA has no business being in Canada, neither does the MLB. I was so glad when the expos went and I was overjoyed when we lost the grizzlies. Only in Toronto would the USA product be so well embraced
My two favourite MLB teams are the Mariners and whoever is playing the BJs. But I liked the Expos. Went to their last stand in Seattle.

Basketball? Who gives a %$^&?
Spud387
Champion

Robbie wrote:
South Pender wrote:
Spud387 wrote:Normally I am all over this bandwagon as I will cheer against any Toronto team

Because if that's the case, why did all of Canada including Vancouver (well maybe not Montreal) have a huge blast and party hardy when the Blue Jays won the World Series in 1992 and again in 1993? Aren't the Blue Jays a Toronto team too? :tease:
[video][/video]
[video][/video]
I'm sure a lot of Vancouverites take a lot of excitement and consider Joe Carter's walk-off home run as one of their best sports memories.

Would someone like to explain why Vancouverites don't seem to view the Raptors the same way they do the Blue Jays?

And if someone can speak on behalf of the city for the favourite basketball team, which NBA team do most Vancouverites root for?

Possibly...

2. Portland Trail Blazers which is the closest team geographically after the departures of both the Vancouver Grizzlies and the Seattle Supersonics?

On a final note, the man who was responsible for the Vancouver Grizzlies departure, Michael Heisley, passed away last week. I don't expect Vancouver to have any good memories of him at all because when he bought the team he stated that he intended to keep the team in Vancouver but immediately afterwards started to find a suitable relocation city in the US. :bang:
You are talking to someone who was 6/7 when the Blu Jays won... I never cared. Also look here:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014 ... 63,-90.669
Most of Canada doesn't even cheer for the Raptors.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
South Pender wrote:

[video][/video]
[video][/video]

Possibly...

Furthermore, I dare say most Canadians were so ecstatic when they put on a huge comeback by scoring 6 runs in game 4 of the 1993 World Series on the road and establishing a record for the highest scoring game in a World Series.
[video][/video]

That said, I'm sure that most Canadians would welcome a pleasant change if the Raptors made it to the NBA Finals and cheer for them (like the Blue Jays) instead of the two teams that have been so dominant over the last decade and who are in the Finals yet again - the Heat vs. the Spurs.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Recent articles like this indicate that Vancouver still root for the Raptors as Canada's team :canada: :
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3597069

And should basketball be Canada's national sport as well given the fact that the game's inventor, Dr. James Naismith was a Canadian?
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not a basketball fan. Way too much time outs and stoppages.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie wrote:
South Pender wrote:

Because if that's the case, why did all of Canada including Vancouver (well maybe not Montreal) have a huge blast and party hardy when the Blue Jays won the World Series in 1992 and again in 1993? Aren't the Blue Jays a Toronto team too? :tease:I'm sure a lot of Vancouverites take a lot of excitement and consider Joe Carter's walk-off home run as one of their best sports memories.

Possibly...

Don't count me amongst the Jays bandwagon jumpers of the early 90s. The Expos were my Canada's team and they played second fiddle to my favourite team the SF Giants. Actually I followed 3 teams. The Giants with Willie Mays were my first team and will always be my favourite. As a kid I figured since there were 2 leagues I should have a team to follow in both so I adopted the Detroit Tigers as my American League team. Then in 1969 along came the Montreal Expos giving me a Canada's Team to pull for in addition to my NL and AL teams. It didn't hurt that CBC showed quite a few Expos games. In those days CBS I think showed a "Game of the Week". Until the Expos came around that was it for televised MLB action other than the All-Star game and the World Series. To this day I continue to follow the Giants and Tigers and dream to see a return of the Expos to Montreal to again have a Canada's Team.

As for basketball as a teenager I followed the 76ers for a few years because of Dr. J. As his career wound down I drifted away from the NBA until the Vancouver Grizzlies arrived on the scene. I followed them as painful as it was and took in a few games if I happened to be in Vancouver when they were home. When they moved to Memphis I again drifted away from it save for keeping an eye on how Steve Nash was doing. I don't follow it at all now but would again start following if the NBA ever returned to Vancouver.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I have nothing but ill will towards any other team in Toronto, except the leafs, because of the lack of support for the argos.

I also do not like MLB and NBA in Canada in any city and never cheer for any of them. Glad the grizzlies left. Glad the expos folded.

I have never jumped on the band wagon of the Blue Jays.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:I have nothing but ill will towards any other team in Toronto, except the leafs, because of the lack of support for the argos.

I also do not like MLB and NBA in Canada in any city and never cheer for any of them. Glad the grizzlies left. Glad the expos folded.

I'm interested in hearing what the issue is with MLB and NBA. Does this mean you also believe the two sports should be banned entirely? Vancouver Canadians should also be shown the door?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I have nothing but ill will towards any other team in Toronto, except the leafs, because of the lack of support for the argos.

I'm interested in hearing what the issue is with MLB and NBA. Does this mean you also believe the two sports should be banned entirely? Vancouver Canadians should also be shown the door?
No, I just view MLB and NBA as USA only, although it would not bug me if they went to countries other than Canada.

I want NHL and CFL to be the two prime major leagues in Canada, even if most NHL teams are in usa.

I like the Canadians, but I miss the Mounties
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I've read this thread with some perplexity. We all have teams and sports that we don't care for and may even actively dislike. I'm not a fan of NBA or MLB myself but I don't think I could actively cheer against another franchise of any sport just because of the city they are in or the league that they belong to. If one doesn't like the MLB or NBA or the host city, it doesn't that mean you have to roundly applaud when the Raptors lose. It doesn't mean you have to distort the team name just because you can. There are high roads and low roads and we should all always strive to take the high road. I by my own admission haven't always walked without stumbling but it makes no sense to cheer for someone's disappointment especially within your own country out of some sense of personal umbrage. Have the people of Toronto so offended that all, young and old alike should experience bad sports fortune because they happen to like a sport you don't agree with? I'm not a Toronto fanboy but what I have learned about people is that they all have hopes, dreams and aspirations which often include their favourite sports teams doing well. Sometime it can get a bit overbearing but sometimes such events are literally once in a lifetime or for some never in a lifetime. It can make the moments of mania a little more comprehensible. No one should be quick to jump up and down with glee at others disappointment. As sure as the sky is blue, someday you are the disappointed one and it doesn't make things at all friendly with adversaries going "ha, ha, your team lost, serves you right", etc. etc. It is called being classy and a bar that we should continually strive to reach.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.