YAY Kraptors lost

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I've read this thread with some perplexity. We all have teams and sports that we don't care for and may even actively dislike. I'm not a fan of NBA or MLB myself but I don't think I could actively cheer against another franchise of any sport just because of the city they are in or the league that they belong to. If one doesn't like the MLB or NBA or the host city, it doesn't that mean you have to roundly applaud when the Raptors lose. It doesn't mean you have to distort the team name just because you can. There are high roads and low roads and we should all always strive to take the high road. I by my own admission haven't always walked without stumbling but it makes no sense to cheer for someone's disappointment especially within your own country out of some sense of personal umbrage. Have the people of Toronto so offended that all, young and old alike should experience bad sports fortune because they happen to like a sport you don't agree with? I'm not a Toronto fanboy but what I have learned about people is that they all have hopes, dreams and aspirations which often include their favourite sports teams doing well. Sometime it can get a bit overbearing but sometimes such events are literally once in a lifetime or for some never in a lifetime. It can make the moments of mania a little more comprehensible. No one should be quick to jump up and down with glee at others disappointment. As sure as the sky is blue, someday you are the disappointed one and it doesn't make things at all friendly with adversaries going "ha, ha, your team lost, serves you right", etc. etc. It is called being classy and a bar that we should continually strive to reach.
I might agree with you if the people of Toronto supported the argos a lot better and were not so wanting of an NFL team.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I applaud your defense of the CFL KIA. I wish too that the Argo's had got better from it's fans from time to time but you could make the same conversation about the Al's, the RedBlacks and even our own Lions. This country has always been about hockey, first and foremost, with everything else coming second. In the case of MLB and NBA, you have very powerful, deep rooted organizations that have marketing machines much bigger and far reaching than the CFL. As for the NFL aspirations of Torontonians, just how much aspiration was fan based and how much was rooted in the desires of the rich and powerful Rogers family looking at ways to be even more dominant in the Toronto Sports market? As I recall, rumour was that many of those so called NFL showcase games were poorly attended with many of those ticket sales actually being promotional giveaways to make the picture look better. I don't see any real substance to the NFL in Toronto movement. Like any league, it has it's fans but the NFL is not coming anytime soon north of the border and with the Argo's getting out of Skydump, I predict much better fortunes for them much like what happened in Montreal after they got out of Olympic Stadium. Now if we could get some of those Vancouver based Seahawk fans to take in a game or two of the Lions (my brother in law included), I would be happier. His kids of course are all out stout NFL fans. Not much National sentiment in that quarter unfortunately.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I suspect a lot of the Vancouver fans that are currently on the Seahawk bandwagon is because they are winning. Will they still be there when the Seahawks are on the downturn ?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Maybe but my "nephews" etc follow the NFL religiously, football pools etc. I don't care about that really, I just wish that they could have a little extra room for the CFL.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Looks like the Raptors are done after tonight.