Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Ran across this great picture of Doug Baldwin at Seahawks' training camp, Day 2. This guy has a 37" vertical jump, and you see it here. Coupled with 4.48 speed in the 40, Baldwin will be a real threat again in 2014, as he was last season. Kind of an under-appreciated, under-the-radar guy. He made a number of circus catches last season like this one.

Picture reproduced courtesy of Image Shack. (I can't get a bigger image with what appears to be a new free Image Shack system. It used to be possible to enlarge the image before posting, but this may be true now only with the Image Shack options that carry a fee. However, you can enlarge the image by left-clicking on it, then clicking on "Download image" and then "OK.")
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Its a nice shot, blew it up to full screen. He certainly climbed the ladder on that snag.......

Lynch is already throwing wrenchs into some fantasy drafts. I know one guy whose draft starts Aug 1 (multi-day draft due to people living in different contintents/timezones). Or course peoples fantasy teams are not the real problem. IMO, I won't be surprised to see him suiting up come September. One of those 'no offer is good enough' until the majority of camp is over kinda things, I'm betting.......
South Pender
Legend

Continuing with our pre-season analyses, here, by Mike Florio, is Pro Football Talk's 5th-ranked NFL team (and 3rd in the NFC), the Green Bay Packers:

Preseason Power Rankings No. 5: Green Bay Packers
Posted by Mike Florio on July 20, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT

Forget about Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or anyone else not named Aaron Rodgers. The best quarterback in the NFL currently plays in Green Bay. And that’s good enough to get the Packers in the top five as the 2014 season approaches.

They’d be even higher if Rodgers had the help that other franchise quarterbacks enjoy. Specifically on defense. And everyone knows it. Maybe that’s why recent remarks from Rodgers that easily could have been interpreted as a slap at the front office and/or the locker room didn’t ruffle many feathers.

“We haven’t had the kind of physical talent as far as size here in a while,” Rodgers said last month. “I think there’s been times — I think back to playing Jacksonville in ’08 in Jacksonville, some of the battles we’ve had with our division teams at times — where you walk on the field and feel like you’re kind of a JV team.”

Beyond Rodgers, the Packers have been a JV team, mainly on defense. But the Packers may have improved just enough that they’ll be good enough to have a chance to get back to the Super Bowl.

Strengths.

On offense, it begins (and arguably ends) with Rodgers. A high-precision passer who can run the ball, too, Rodgers knows how to gain yardage on the ground without putting himself at undue risk. Last year’s broken collarbone happened not while he was being reckless but while trying to step up in the pocket. Shea McLellin of the Bears shed a block and spotted Rodgers and closed ground and pulled him down before Rodgers knew what happened. If he can stay healthy throughout 2014, the Packers will likely win the NFC North. The real question becomes whether he’ll have enough help in the postseason to advance past the divisional round, or whether it’ll be another JV-level showing at single-elimination time, particularly from the defense.

The Packers rolled the dice last season on a pair of tailbacks, stopping Eddie Lacy’s round-two free-fall and snagging Johnathan Franklin, who appeared to be a purrfect fit for the Green Bay offense. A neck injury ended Franklin’s career before it could get started, but the gamble on Lacy ended up being a good one — especially since he eventually was able to pound out some strong performances even when the Packers were forced to implement a crappy backup plan for Rodgers. If Lacy can match the quarterback when it comes to avoiding injury, the Packers could have the best one-two offensive punch in the NFL.

A bad defense would be a lot worse without linebacker Clay Matthews, who continues to be one of the better pass rushers in the NFL, but who has missed nine games over the past two seasons combined. The arrival of Julius Peppers could make Matthews even better, even though the jury is still out on whether Peppers still has it like he used to.

The secondary has the potential to be very good, with highly-paid cornerback Sam Shields and first-round rookie safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix potentially leading the way. As a unit, however, the defense doesn’t belong in the “strength” category.

Weaknesses.

The tight end position holds little promise after the departure of Jermichael Finley. He seems to want to return to Green Bay after neck surgery, but it seems highly unlikely that that Packers will clear him to play — or pay him what it would take to get him to walk away from his probably-too-good-to-be-true $10 million tax-free insurance policy. The depth chart is so uncertain that the Packers have taken a chance on undrafted rookie Colt Lyerla, whose talent has been overshadowed by a litany of off-field concerns.

The offensive line continues to shuffle and rotate and generally underperform. Bryan Bulaga moves back to the right side after a short-lived experiment at left tackle, which ended when his ACL gave out during an intrasquad scrimmage. David Bakhtiari played well enough as a fourth-round rookie to keep the job, holding former Viking (new Bear) Jared Allen without a sack in two games and generally not being nearly as bad as some feared Bakhtiari would be. Center Evan Dietrich-Smith bolted for Tampa Bay (to the chagrin of Rodgers), leaving the Packers to hope JC Tretter is ready. Josh Sitton and T.J. Lang provide quality at guard, but the five-man operation as a whole allowed 45 sacks, ninth worst in the league.

Despite a few bright spots, the defense continues to be a liability, finishing in the bottom fourth of the league last year in yards allowed (372.2 per game) and points (26.8 per game). Most of the blame lands on the poorly-toupeed head of coordinator Dom Capers, who should have been given a ticket out of Titletown after a playoff meltdown against the 49ers in January 2013. Coach Mike McCarthy has opted for loyalty to a fault; that could end after the coming campaign.

Changes.

G.M. Ted Thompson stepped out of character in free agency, adding veteran pass rusher Julius Peppers. Whether he plays linebacker or defensive end (he’s listed as both), Peppers could wreak havoc, if his play in 2012 was more about not being in the right frame of mind and less about diminishing physical skills.

Offensively, Matt Flynn officially is back as the Week One backup to Aaron Rodgers, which is a much better plan that to have no plan for fear of jinxing Rodgers. While not able to lead an offense, Flynn has shown that he can get it done when pressed into service. The Packers wisely have decided to make sure he’s available to do what needs to be done, if Rodgers gets banged up again.

The receiving corps continues to be in a state of transition. A year after losing Greg Jennings to the Vikings, James Jones signed with the Raiders. Jordy Nelson and/or Randall Cobb could be joining them a year from now, which perhaps suggests that the Packers realize a quarterback like Rodgers can make most receivers look good.

The biggest free-agency defection occurred when safety M.D. Jennings left for the Bears. Rookie Clinton-Dix will be expected to fill the void right away, if he can.

Position battles.

Barring the unlikely return of Jermichael Finley, it’s time to find a new tight end. Andrew Quarless is expected to get the first crack at the starting job, with others in place (like Richard Rodgers) to challenge Quarless for the top spot on the depth chart and playing time. Colt Lyerla provides the most intriguing option. If he can stay out of trouble and get the most out of his skills, Lyerla could be the next Finley.

Before we assume that Eddie Lacy will become the unquestioned workhorse, consider these words from coach Mike McCarthy about the tailback position: “My depth chart looks nothing like your depth chart.” James Starks and DuJuan Harris provide plenty of talent, when healthy. If Lacy stumbles or gets injured, one or both of them could step up.

JC Tretter gets the first crack at replacing center Evan Dietrich-Smith. Corey Linsley provides Plan B. Plan C could be a lot of shotgun formation and plenty of roll-out passes.

At safety, converted cornerback Micah Hyde could delay the ascension of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to the starting lineup, if the rookie struggles to make the transition to the next level.

Prospects.

Since winning Super Bowl XLV, the Packers have had three straight playoff appearances that resulted in disappointment, with a home loss to the Giants, a road loss to the 49ers, and a home loss to the 49ers. The defense has primarily been responsible for the inability to progress beyond the divisional round, and if that happens again in 2014, it’ll be time for a new coordinator, at a minimum.

Chances are the Packers will be good enough on both sides of the ball to let Rodgers carry them back to the round of eight again. It’ll take more than a mild improvement to get to the NFC title game, or beyond. The Packers could be poised to do just that, and they’ll get a chance to show where they are when traveling to Seattle for the first game of the regular season.

I think we'll see a great battle for top spot in the NFC-North between the Pack and the Bears. Same as in the NFC-West between the Seahawks and 49ers.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

If I played 'fantasy' football the player I'd be the most curious about this year is.....

RG3

Will he return to his 2012 rookie year where he led his team into the playoffs? Or will he stumble and trip? Much was said about him not having yet had an off-season to get ready. I think its a good point in a few ways. His first year there was a labour disruption and therefore he didn't get the usual prep and normal run up to training camp. His second year (2013) he was recovering from a major knee injury, so AGAIN, he did not have the usual prep/runup to TC. This year he has had that.

My bet? I think he'll have a solid year but not at the level of his first. IMO he can be game planned for better now. Like a similar QB, IMO, Kaepernick, RG3 will have wrinkles thrown at him. However, also like Kaepernick, RG3 has a better roster of recievers than he has ever had before, IMO. The once feared NCF East (NFC LEAST?) is one that is almost always close. WIll it be the best of a bad bunch of teams or a close battle?

I'll be very surprised if either Tom Coughlin or Jason Garrett make it into next season. These teams have struggled for awhile. Perhaps the new offence for MiniManning will help the Giants but I doubt it.....
South Pender
Legend

Pre-season analysis, by Darin Gantt, for Pro Football Talk's 6th-ranked NFL team (4th in the NFC behind the Seahawks, 49ers, and Packers)--the New Orleans Saints:

Preseason Power Rankings No. 6: New Orleans Saints
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

The Saints are in an interesting position.

There might not be a team in the NFL as good as the thing they do than the Saints are at throwing the football.

The combination of Sean Payton and Drew Brees continue to be one of the best coach-quarterback pairings, and now that the contract unpleasantness with tight end* Jimmy Graham is over, their offensive weapons are in place, mostly intact from last year.

But where does that get them?

When the top teams in the NFC are playing power football, can the Saints push beyond big fantasy stats with finesse?

They benefit by being different from the teams that topped the conference last year (the Panthers likewise want to play physically), but this year will be a test to see if that difference is meaningful.

Brees is still at the top of his game, but that might not be enough any more.

Strengths.

Did we mention Drew Brees was good at throwing the ball?

He threw for 5,162 yards and 39 touchdowns and just 12 interceptions last year.

And with Graham paid, they still have an impressive array of targets.

Marques Colston is still producing at a high level, and even with a change in the backfield (more on that in a moment), they’re going to be able to move the ball.

Payton is tremendous at the chess match of offense, and incorporating some new guys into the scheme will allow them to develop that capability.

Adding first-round speedster Brandin Cooks should more than make up for the departure of Lance Moore, especially with Kenny Stills developing into a more dependable target.

Weaknesses.

Last year, the Saints’ defense might have been better than their offense, or perhaps it was just by contrast to the year before.

Rob Ryan transformed a group that set a league record for yards allowed in 2012, and it’s not as if they had a gigantic personnel upgrade.

Ryan was patching together parts, and injuries didn’t help.

But Junior Galette emerged as a legitimate outside linebacker option, and defensive end Cameron Jordan had a breakout year with 12.5 sacks.

The offseason’s big acquisition, safety Jairus Byrd, ought to be able to make a big impact, paired alongside Kenny Vaccaro. That enthusiasm was dampened a bit when Byrd needed back surgery, knocking him out of most of the offseason work.

The only problem is, the Saints still might not have sufficient personnel on that side of the ball, so regression is a real possibility.

They finally pared away some of the old parts on defense (cutting Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Roman Harper and Jabari Greer), which might have been necessary.

But other than bringing in last-legs cornerback Champ Bailey, there wasn’t the kind of influx of talent they might have needed.

They improved last year based largely on energy and emotion, and we’ll see how long that lasts in the face of a talent discrepancy.

Changes.

The Saints traded a complementary running back, which ordinarily wouldn’t be a headline move.

But that back was Darren Sproles, who was such an integral part of their offense, catching 71 passes last year.

Replacing him will be a huge challenge, and they’re going to be relying on a deep group of backs.

Pierre Thomas and Mark Ingram will likely get most of the carries, but Khiry Robinson and Travaris Cadet will need to make a big step to pick up the slack from Sproles’ departure.

Cooks might be the biggest beneficiary of the change, as they want to take advantage of his 4.3 speed. While it’s not a like-for-like replacement, he does have the same kind of game-changing ability as Sproles.

Camp Battles.

The Saints offensive line was a work in progress last year, but rookie Terron Armstead settled into a spot where they’re comfortable with him at left tackle. They were also able to hang onto right tackle Zach Strief and guards Ben Grubbs and Jahri Evans return.

That leaves a hole in the middle, after Brian de la Puente left in free agency for Chicago.

Tim Lelito will get the first crack, but they brought veteran Jonathan Goodwin back for cover, giving them a reasonable competition.

It would also help if a young cornerback would step up opposite Keenan Lewis. They brought in Bailey, but all parties are probably best served if he’s able to limit his snaps a bit. Second-rounder Stanley Jean-Baptiste gives them some new size at the position, which will enable them to match up better with the big wideouts in their division.

Prospects.

They’re going to be pretty good.

If the defense continues at last year’s pace, they can be very good.

But the Saints have problems local and national.

They play in perhaps the league’s deepest division, with the Falcons healthy and re-tooled and the Buccaneers on the upswing with Lovie Smith along with the defensively stout Panthers.

Then comes the matter of whether they can stand toe-to-toe with the Seahawks and 49ers to make a push for another title.

That makes the regular season of extreme importance. They’re a different team in their own building, so getting home field advantage might mean more to them than any team in the NFC.

If they can get it, the Saints could easily be a Super Bowl team.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

IMO, Payton is THE coach in the NFL right now. Took his lumps on bountygate. Okay hasn't had playoff success since but he managed to get the "AINTS" into the Superbowl WINNERS circle. I don't know if he ever leaves New Orleans but if he does, I'd love to see him lead another team to success too.

The NFC is clearly still the tough league to get out of. I would love to see the Saints/Seahawks/Packers/49ers all be there battling it out late inthe NFC playoffs. Guess we'll see......

(BTW, thanks for all the NFL info. I haven't been watching too much NFL network, so you've been keeping me up to date.... :thup: )
notahomer
Hall of Famer

my oh my..... Hall of Fame game, Sunday. Giants vs Bills. I'll probably flip it on. I take in the odd NFL preseason game but only if I'm home. Once the regular season starts I'll make every effort to catch the matchups (unless its an absolute no thanks).

Its like tomorrows CFL dustup (Bombers/Ticats). I'm going to try and catch some of it. Unfortunately I have a meeting to attend so I'll miss some of the first half :cr: , hopefully catching the second half. Otherwise, I'm not missing that game.....
South Pender
Legend

Beast Mode back in the fold...

Seahawks bumped up Marshawn Lynch’s 2014 salary
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT

The Seahawks got their starting running back in camp today, and Marshawn Lynch got something out of his brief holdout.

A league source tells PFT that the Seahawks agreed to bump up Lynch’s base salary to persuade Lynch to report.

Under Lynch’s previous contract, he was due to make a $5 million base salary this year, plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and he could have earned another $500,000 in incentives if he had rushed for 1,500 yards. Now Lynch gets a base salary of $6 million (meaning the Seahawks effectively guaranteed the $1 million he previously would have had to earn), plus they’re taking $500,000 that he had been scheduled to get paid in 2015 and giving it to him now instead. In all, Lynch will make $6.5 million this year.

The Seahawks also agreed not to enforce the fines that they were entitled to dock him from the work he has already missed. We’re also hearing that the league office was pressuring the Seahawks to go after some of Lynch’s signing bonus money if he refused to report, as teams are permitted to do under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. But the Seahawks resisted that.

Instead, the Seahawks and Lynch reached a deal amenable to both sides, and Lynch is in camp, making more money in 2014 than he was scheduled to make under his old deal.

Looks as if the Seahawks restructured Lynch's contract and guaranteed what would have been incentive money.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also of note: Ray Guy to be inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame. The first pure punter (meaning that's all he did) to be inducted....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Beast Mode back in the fold...

Seahawks bumped up Marshawn Lynch’s 2014 salary
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT

The Seahawks got their starting running back in camp today, and Marshawn Lynch got something out of his brief holdout.

A league source tells PFT that the Seahawks agreed to bump up Lynch’s base salary to persuade Lynch to report.

Under Lynch’s previous contract, he was due to make a $5 million base salary this year, plus $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and he could have earned another $500,000 in incentives if he had rushed for 1,500 yards. Now Lynch gets a base salary of $6 million (meaning the Seahawks effectively guaranteed the $1 million he previously would have had to earn), plus they’re taking $500,000 that he had been scheduled to get paid in 2015 and giving it to him now instead. In all, Lynch will make $6.5 million this year.

The Seahawks also agreed not to enforce the fines that they were entitled to dock him from the work he has already missed. We’re also hearing that the league office was pressuring the Seahawks to go after some of Lynch’s signing bonus money if he refused to report, as teams are permitted to do under the Collective Bargaining Agreement. But the Seahawks resisted that.

Instead, the Seahawks and Lynch reached a deal amenable to both sides, and Lynch is in camp, making more money in 2014 than he was scheduled to make under his old deal.

Looks as if the Seahawks restructured Lynch's contract and guaranteed what would have been incentive money.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also of note: Ray Guy to be inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame. The first pure punter (meaning that's all he did) to be inducted....
Good to know, Re: Lynch. Kinda surprised but not. Certainly becomes fantasy fodder now. Lots of chatter on NFL network about how he needed to report ASAP. According to the pundits running back is one of the 'MUST BE THERES' in training camp. I don't know. LT used to do fine barely participating in Chargers training camps (especially preseason games). They didn't want to risk injuring him until the bullets were live.....
South Pender
Legend

I agree with you, nota, about the non-importance of RBs being there in TC, or at least playing in preseason games. Last preseason, Lynch carried the ball exactly 5 times in the four preseason games. I guess it helps to have your bell cow there to learn new plays and tactics, but I think the Seahawks will spare Lynch from much actual hitting. He carried the ball over 300 times last season, and you have to think a RB's body takes a serious beating over the course of a season. Keeping Beast Mode as fresh as possible will be a priority for Carroll and Bevell. I'm hoping we'll see a lot of Christine Michael coming in to spell off Lynch this season. The thinking in Hawkville is that Michael is Lynch's heir apparent.
South Pender
Legend

Here's Pro Football Talk's analysis of the NFL team they rank 7th--the Baltimore Ravens

Preseason Power Rankings No. 7: Baltimore Ravens

Posted by Mike Florio on July 19, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Yeah, the Ravens failed to make the playoffs last year. Yeah, they’re facing a degree of transition and upheaval on par with last year’s post-Super Bowl retirements and free-agency defections.

But the Ravens continue to be the Ravens. The franchise that lives by the motto, “In Ozzie We Trust.” The team with one of the best football organizations the past generation has seen. The group that John Harbaugh led to five straight playoff appearances to start his head-coaching career.

Last year’s performance exposed some issues that needed to be addressed. The Ravens have addressed them, for the most part. Here’s a look at where they are as the 2014 season approaches, and why they landed in the top 10 after failing to qualify for the 2013 postseason.

Strengths.

It’s a quarterback-driven league, and the jury is out on how driven the Ravens’ starting quarterback remains after getting a $120.6 million contract in 2013. Does Joe Flacco have the degree of determination that true franchise quarterbacks have shown, year in and year out? Will Flacco act like an unofficial member of the coaching staff, both during the season and when the games aren’t being played?

The answer could be no, at least not for now. Flacco didn’t get together with his receivers before the start of the offseason program, explaining that he didn’t know enough about the new offense to make the effort worth everyone’s time. But he could have learned plenty about the new offense, if he really wanted to. And he could have started the process of teaching it to teammates before the official process for teaching them began, if he really wanted to. (With or without violations of offseason rules that are never enforced.)

And so, while the Super Bowl MVP trophy and the huge contract make Flacco a strength, it’s fair to ask whether he’s the kind of quarterback that makes a team a perennial contender regardless of the quality of the rest of the roster, or whether he has simply been in the right place at the right time with a team that had enough parts around him to allow him to appear to be better than maybe he really is.

The guys expected to catch the passes from Flacco fall into that same “strong but how strong?” category. Torrey Smith enters a contract year with numbers that have been very good, but without the kind of breakthrough in his third season that would make him one of the best receivers in the league. Steve Smith arrives to put some punch (perhaps literally) into the position, but it’s unclear how much he has left, especially with a balky and banged up knee. Jacoby Jones has shown flashes, but at times he falls into the “meh” category. And while the tight end room now boasts Dennis Pitta and Owen Daniels, the Ravens claim they coveted rookie Eric Ebron. If they wanted Ebron, how good do they really feel about the guys they have?

Despite plenty of changes in recent years, the front seven on defense sets the tone, led by defensive lineman Haloti Ngata, linebacker Terrell Suggs, and linebacker Elvis Dumervil. Linebacker Daryl Smith became a free-agent steal last year, and he’s now one of the anchors of the unit.

Safety Matt Elam made a big impact as a rookie, helping the secondary weather the departure of Ed Reed. Cornerback Lardarius Webb should be better more than a full year after tearing an ACL, and competition should shake out the rest of an understated but talented depth chart.

On special teams, the Ravens have one of the league’s best kickers in Justin Tucker. Which makes it easier to squeeze out close games premised on field-position battles — and which could be the difference between making to the playoffs or going home early for the second straight season.

Weaknesses.

The offensive line took a big step back last year. The outcome would have been worse but for the midseason arrival of left tackle Eugene Monroe via trade with Jacksonville. A huge hole currently exists at right tackle with the decision not to bring back Michael Oher, and Gino Gradkowski couldn’t fully fill the shows of the retired Matt Birk. The line will need to get better quickly or the new offense under Gary Kubiak won’t.

At running back, a looming suspension of Ray Rice and an early off-field incident from Lorenzo Taliaferro complicates the depth chart at the start of the season. Rice, who likely will be gone for at least one game if not more, will need to be replaced by Bernard Pierce, Justin Forsett, and/or Taliaferro.

Speaking of Rice and Taliaferro and the various other Ravens who found trouble in the offseason, the franchise currently has earned the title of the reigning NFL renegades. They’ll all undoubtedly pay for it in training camp, thanks to a head coach who has little tolerance for nonsense, but who has been forced to tolerate plenty of it. While a positive reaction from the players could turn that weakness into a strength, the misadventures of multiple players are a problem that needs to be solved.

Changes.

In his first full year as offensive coordinator, Jim Caldwell didn’t do nearly as well as he did down the stretch in 2012. But Caldwell still did well enough to get himself a head-coaching job in Detroit. Gary Kubiak, fired after seven years of coaching the Texans, brings a new system to town, with zone-blocking, one-cut running, roll-out passing, and all sorts of other stuff the Ravens didn’t do on a regular basis last year. The team’s ability to adapt will determine its ability to thrive.

The offense got better with the arrival of Steve Smith and Owen Daniels, and it got worse with the departures of tight end Ed Dickson, fullback Vonta Leach, and Oher. If they can adequately fill the hole at right tackle, the offense should be fine.

On defensive, losing lineman Arthur Jones to the Colts hurts, but when a team has a great collection of linemen it’s impossible to pay them all. Also being paid elsewhere will be linebacker Jameel McClain, cornerback Corey Graham, and safety James Ihedigbo.

Position battles.

A fifth-round pick a year ago, Rick Wagner gets the first shot to replace Oher at right tackle. If Wagner can’t do it, Ryan Jensen provides a Plan B, and Kelechi Osemele could be moved back outside if necessary.

At inside linebacker, 2013 second-rounder Arthur Brown and 2014 first-rounder C.J. Mosley will square off for the starting job and total reps. If the Ravens thought Brown could get it done, they wouldn’t have had to draft Mosley. That said, we’re told that Brown had a very strong offseason, possibly responding to the challenge presented by the addition of Mosley.

At cornerback, Asa Jackson and Chykie Brown will battle for the nickel job, and Darian Stewart and Terrance Brooks will compete for a starting safety job, with Stewart getting the first shot.

Prospects.

At a time when the best teams in the NFC have the physicality to routinely pilfer the juice-box money of the best that the AFC has to offer, the Ravens are one of the few teams that can match the muscle of the likes of the 49ers and Seahawks. But before the Ravens can face the NFC champion, they need to climb the playoff tree. Before they can do that, they need to qualify for a seat at the postseason table.

They definitely can get there. And their placement at No. 7 as the season arrives means that we think they will.
South Pender
Legend

Here`s Pro Football Talk`s analysis (by Darin Gantt) of the 8th-ranked NFL team in their pre-season power rankings--the Indianapolis Colts

Preseason Power Rankings No. 8: Indianapolis Colts
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

The Colts are realizing the true benefit bottoming out.

With quarterback Andrew Luck at the helm of their offense, there’s a floor that they’re simply not going to fall through.

Playing in a division that is unsettled at best and ridiculous at worst (it occupied three of the bottom eight spots in our Preseason Power Rankings), the Colts should easily own the top spot in the AFC South barring a calamitous injury.

This year’s additions weren’t as dramatic as last year’s spending, but they added depth to an already good team, the kind of thing you’re able to do when your quarterback is both excellent and on a cheap rookie contract.

Winning 11 games each of the last two years has raised expectations, so this year will be about the Colts taking that next step.

Strengths.

The Colts have quietly developed a deep stable of targets for Luck to throw to.

If Reggie Wayne returns to anything resembling his old form, he’ll join with T.Y. Hilton and Hakeem Nicks (who came on a one-year prove-it deal) as a very good receiving corps.

They also have problem-child Da’Rick Rogers and Griff Whalen in reserve, giving them developmental players for the future.

But perhaps the biggest boost will be getting tight end Dwayne Allen back from injury to pair with Coby Fleener, giving the Colts plenty of options in the passing game.

Offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton would love to call a traditional grind-it-out game, but given the weapons at his disposal, spreading the field and using multiple formations is the right thing to do.

Weaknesses.

It sure would help if the Colts could find some balance in their offense with the running game.

And it sure would help if Trent Richardson ever proved to be worthy of the first-round pick they gave up to acquire him.

Richardson averaged 2.9 yards per carry after coming over from the Browns last year, hardly what they were hoping for or needed. He admitted it was hard learning a new offense, so it’s reasonable to give him this year as a fresh start.

Then again, some help up front would also help.

The Colts offensive line has underperformed despite some big investments the last few offseasons, and finding a center and some stability in that group would pay big dividends.

Second-round pick Jack Mewhort has seen work at center, guard and tackle during the offseason, and he could add an element of toughness that they need.

There’s also the small matter of how they’ll rush the passer in the first four games, with Robert Mathis out following a PED suspension. That could cost them significantly as they open with the Broncos and Eagles, before they start division play with the Jaguars and Titans.

Changes.

The Colts didn’t make wholesale moves this offseason, but they made three significant ones which should help their defense.

Keeping cornerback Vontae Davis with a four-year, $39 million extension was the first big step, as they could ill afford to lose one of the top cover men in the AFC.

But adding linebacker D’Qwell Jackson and defensive end Arthur Jones will add some heft and legitimacy to a defense that was too often pushed around last year.

After losing safety Anotine Bethea to San Francisco, they need LaRon Landry to be a more consistent producer.

Camp Battles.

The Colts have some decisions to make at guard, as Donald Thomas is coming off two muscle tears, making it hard to know how much he can be counted on.

Mewhort worked at left guard during OTAs, but they also have Hugh Thornton as a possibility. The Colts think Lance Louis can add something as well, and seeing how that position shakes out will be huge as they try to run the ball more consistently.

They also have running backs Ahmad Bradshaw and Vick Ballard coming off injuries, and they would love to have one of them ready to go if Richardson isn’t able to carry the load as expected.

Finding a safety to station next to Landry will also be a toss-up, as the Colts have a host of candidates for that job including Mike Adams, Colt Anderson along with holdovers such as Sergio Brown.

Prospects.

It’s easy to have high expectations for the Colts, as they practically have six wins in the bank by function of playing in the AFC South.

The Texans are good on defense, and the Jaguars are improving, but there’s no reason for the Colts to not roll through this group.

But a division title isn’t the goal for this bunch, as Manning found out more than a decade ago.

The Colts have something of a narrow window with this group because of Luck’s pending contract situation.

They have the ability to add parts now while he’s on a cheap rookie-scale deal, and they have bought aggressively in free agency. Of course, not all those deals look like bargains.

When they have to start paying Luck real money, it will be harder to make wholesale changes, so they have to hope they have a solid base in place.

Last year’s comeback win over the Chiefs in the playoffs was a solid first step, but the Colts are still punching over their weight (or at least their age) when they come up against the big guns of the AFC.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Was in a greasy spoon yesterday and stumbled across a copy of the NY TIMES. Not a regular reader.

They had an interesting article in this Fridays edition. How defences like Rob Ryan's are heading towards using more safeties. Not actually the position but the kind of player that used to be locked on as a safety. These guys are considered lighter than linebackers but still effective stopping the run and also just a bit slower in terms of coverage skills on DB/CB's.

Who knows if this concept of giving the skillset that would have been a safety now playing closely related positions, will take hold. IMO, it is just further proof of the ever-evolvment of the game of football. Teams are doing a better job throwing the ball, so defences need to adapt. Defences adapt by doing some kinda tweak like this, and I'm sure Offences will have to tweak too.
South Pender
Legend

And continuing with Pro Football Talk's pre-season power rankings, here's their analysis of their 9th-ranked (and 5th in the AFC) team--the Cincinnati Bengals:

Preseason Power Rankings No. 9: Cincinnati Bengals
Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 18, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT

The 2013 Bengals won 11 games, third-most in their history. They outscored opponents by 125 points, a margin superior to their Super Bowl entrants of 1981 (+117) and 1988 (+125). They were 4-0 against eventual playoff teams, knocking off Green Bay, New England, San Diego and Indianapolis. But once again, Cincinnati was one-and-done in the postseason. The Chargers, whom the Bengals handled in December, turned the tables in January, rolling to a 27-10 wild card win in Cincinnati. And once again, Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton played poorly on the playoff stage, committing three turnovers. The loss dropped coach Marvin Lewis’ playoff record to 0-5, with three home playoff defeats. It also marked the 23rd consecutive season the franchise didn’t win a single postseason game. The good news? The 2014 Bengals should contend for another trip to the playoffs. There are quite a few General Managers who would surely trade rosters with Cincinnati in a heartbeat, and that cannot be overlooked, even as another postseason setback is fresh in memory.

Strengths.

The Bengals’ defense is one of the league’s best. No AFC club was better stopping the opposition short on third downs a season ago, and only Seattle gave up less yards per play. Defensive tackle Geno Atkins and weak-side linebacker Vontaze Burfict (171 tackles in 2013 ) are the standouts on this skilled stop unit. Atkins, who comes off an ACL tear, is an outstanding interior rusher when healthy, while Burfict, a former undrafted free agent, has become a star. The Bengals’ offense can hold up its end of the bargain, too. A.J. Green (98 catches, 1,426 yards, 11 TDs in 2013) is a bona fide go-to receiver, a tall, fast, athletic, sure-handed pass catcher who can shred secondaries. Tailback Giovani Bernard (695 yards rushing, 514 yards receiving) is an exciting playmaker, as is wideout Marvin Jones (51 catches, 712 yards, 10 TDs). The Bengals are deep at tight end, too, with Tyler Eifert and Jermaine Gresham a nice 1-2 punch. Dalton (4,293 yards, 33 TD passes, 20 interceptions) is durable and productive. His TD passes total about 61 percent of the club’s touchdowns in the last three seasons (80-of-132). Dalton enters the final year of his contract, and his future is a major storyline entering 2014. The Bengals’ offensive line is solid, with two former first-round picks (right tackle Andre Smith, right guard Kevin Zeitler) among its ranks. Dalton was sacked 17 fewer times in 2013.

Weaknesses.

Too many of Cincinnati’s drives end in Dalton turnovers. He committed at least two turnovers in 7-of-16 regular season starts in 2013 and followed that with two picks and one fumble in the wild card loss. If Dalton cuts down on the giveaways, this could be an elite offense on its very best, given the talent on hand. With Atkins and cornerback Leon Hall (Achilles) coming off serious injuries, the Bengals’ defensive depth is an area to watch. Moreover, the club is a little thinner at defensive end after Michael Johnson’s departure in free agency. Finally, the offense and defense will be adjusting to new coordinators. On defense, Paul Guenther replaces Mike Zimmer, who became Minnesota’s head coach. On offense, Hue Jackson takes over for Jay Gruden, now Washington’s head coach. Both Guenther and Jackson have ample experience in Cincinnati, which could shorten the transitional period.

Changes.

The Bengals suffered a few losses in free agency, though that was to be expected. Johnson and offensive tackle Anthony Collins received lucrative deals from Tampa Bay, which turned over its roster under new head coach Lovie Smith. The Bengals also lost slot receiver Andrew Hawkins to Cleveland after declining to match an offer sheet. The Bengals released a pair of 2013 starters, parting ways with strong-side linebacker James Harrison and center Kyle Cook. Emmanuel Lamur could take over for Harrison, while veteran Mike Pollak and rookie Russell Bodine are among the competitors to replace Cook. At the backup spots, the biggest move came with the addition of quarterback Jason Campbell, who reunites with Jackson, his head coach in Oakland three years ago. In the draft, the Bengals added several rookies who could contribute right off the bat, including tailback Jeremy Hill, a second-round pick from LSU. The club’s first-round selection, cornerback Darqueze Dennard, joins a deep CB corps.

Camp battles.

With a strong roster, competition is a given. Here are the positions to monitor:

Running back: The Bengals are willing to play young skill-position players, so Hill figures to get a real shot getting plenty of work. Bernard will not lack for touches, so any work Hill earns could put the squeeze on veteran BenJarvus Green-Ellis, who’s slated to make $2.3 million this season.

Cornerback: Dennard and third-year pro Dre Kirkpatrick are waiting in the wings behind Hall, Terence Newman and Adam Jones. Hall is trying to return from a second Achilles injury since 2011.

Linebacker: Lamur and Vincent Rey are the players to watch. Can Vincent Rey push Rey Maualuga at middle linebacker?

Defensive end: With Johnson gone, there are more reps to be had opposite Carlos Dunlap. Wallace Gilberry (7.5 sacks in 2013) will get his share of work. Keep an eye on second-year pro Margus Hunt and rookie Will Clarke, two fresh faces at the position.

Center: Pollak, Bodine and Trevor Robinson are the candidates to take over for Cook.

Prospects.

The Bengals have a challenging schedule. They draw the NFC South in non-conference play, which entails trips to powerful New Orleans and improved Tampa Bay and home games against respectable Atlanta and Carolina. The Bengals will also face each of the AFC’s first-place clubs from a season ago (Denver, Indianapolis, New England). Finally, the club also draws an early bye (Week Four), which means any later-season injury issues will challenge the team’s depth. In a scheduling quirk, six of Cincinnati’s first nine games are at home, including three in a row from Oct. 26 through Nov. 6 (Baltimore, Jacksonville, Cleveland). However, the Bengals then take a three-game Southern road trip, facing New Orleans, Houston and Tampa Bay in succession. Nevertheless, the Bengals appear equipped to handle such regular season challenges. In fact, a hurdle-laden schedule could be just what’s needed to keep Cincinnati sharp as it goes for its fourth playoff berth in a row. The Bengals are beyond the thrill of simply getting to the postseason. Winning in January is what they seek. Their last playoff win was at Riverfront Stadium, back before Nirvana’s “Nevermind” had even been released. It’s been too long between playoff successes for Cincinnati, but so it goes in the NFL, which has no best-of-seven tournaments. The league does, however, have quite the tough 12-team, one-and-done bracket, as the Bengals know too well.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:sigh:

Sounds like the NFL is going to be more :rules: this season with an UNSAID reason of slowing down defences that play like the Seattle Seahawks.

Read in todays province a story about that Washington team ( :cool: ) and how the offence/defence are split along how the nylon seems to be flying. Apparently the Zebras will be calling the games quite close simply because they've been directed to do so......

I don't really care what the rules are but call them consistently. AND I DON'T JUST MEAN COSISTENTLY from team to team, that matters, YES! But call them offence/defence too! Offensive PI is rarely called, WHY NOT? And strengthen the penalty too. If a reciever interferes, flag him. My enforcement? Since you'd give the reciever yards/catch on a PI, why not the defender? Give him the catch and play it spot of foul.... It would be nice to see a change benefitting DEFENCES for a change.......