Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Try this link for drawings of the nonstandard facemasks....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -facemasks

IMO, SouthP., no need to apologize regarding being a 12man (its the 13nth man we don't need :wink: ). I'm a big Seahawks fan too. It USED to be Seahawks with my heart, Raiders with my brain. IOW, the Seahawks SUCKED (now its the Raiders).

Are you gonna make any effort to check out the Seahawks contingent up here July 4/5? IIRC, probably not, you are usually islandside those days :cool: I'm not going to bother. I cheer the Seahawks on and hope they win many more Superbowls but lining up for autographs etc... No thanks, I'll do that with my favourite football team but one team is enough, IMO......
South Pender
Legend

Thanks, nota. Got the pictures of the face masks. Holy Moses, that one that Tuck wore (and evidently Ware wants to wear too) looks almost like something a fencer would wear. I guess the issue with these non-standard face masks is that they may do more harm than good. Naw, I'm not going to the Seahawks visit up here--won't be around at that time, but probably wouldn't go even if I were here.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Thanks, nota. Got the pictures of the face masks. Holy Moses, that one that Tuck wore (and evidently Ware wants to wear too) looks almost like something a fencer would wear. I guess the issue with these non-standard face masks is that they may do more harm than good. Naw, I'm not going to the Seahawks visit up here--won't be around at that time, but probably wouldn't go even if I were here.
The weird thing, IMO, (and I hadn't realized this) is the harm comes in the extra weight on the facemask. It would cause a players neck to have extra weight etc... Grabbing a facemask and twisting/turning it hurts too but its a tradeoff regardless of what they do....
South Pender
Legend

For all the 49ers fans out there, this one's for you. I'd have to imagine that a fair number of Vancouverites are 49ers fans--probably a trend begun in the Bill Walsh era. Actually, I kind of like the 49ers myself, although that isn't easy for a Seahawks fan. Here's their webpage with lots of news of the 2014 edition of that storied franchise:

http://www.49ers.com/news/

There's no doubt in my mind that the 49ers will be very very tough this season. I don't see any fall-off at all, and they have added new free agents and draft picks. Their defense is just excellent--a top-quality prototypical 3-4, with 4 linebackers that are the best in the game, although NaVorro Bowman, one of their best, will be sitting out probably half the season recuperating from his knee surgery. Their offense is capable of putting up big numbers, with Frank Gore functioning as their Beast Mode, and a group of really good receivers in Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Brandon Lloyd, and Stevie Johnson acquired from the Bills, and a big tight end with WR speed in Vernon Davis. With a very mobile QB in Colin Kaepernick, they will be scary on offense.

In my mind, they are about equal to the Seahawks, and the two teams are the best in the NFL. I don't see an AFC team that can match them--at least at this point--but, of course, things happen during the course of the season, so who knows?
South Pender
Legend

Money Ball on the Gridiron?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ture-stars

An interesting look at how the Seahawks evaluate potential acquisitions.

"The SPARQ score is calculated via five components: player's weight, 40-yard dash time, 20-yard shuttle, vertical jump and kneeling powerball toss." When I look at combine results and draft-scout reports, I think the thing I look at almost as-closely as the 40-yard dash time is the 20-yard shuttle. It's the best metric we seem to have for explosiveness. The vertical jump is obviously important for receivers and DBs, as well as for LBs, I guess. You don't expect a great vertical from a 335-lb. O-lineman. But you sometimes see impressive 20-yard shuttle times for some of the big guys on the line. This means they can stay near the play and be less inclined to be caught out of position. I'd love to get the SPARQ computing formula showing how these five variables are combined.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notahomer mentioned this a few posts back, so it seems fitting to put up this story--Seahawks in Vancouver this weekend--with some videos embedded:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1433713/seatt ... vancouver/

Apparently, there's to be a celebrity flag-football game today at 5:30. Events today seem to be in West Van. Interesting that about 10% of the spectators at 'Hawks' home games are Canadians--that would be 6500-7000 fans. Not surprising, I guess.
South Pender
Legend

Any Arizona Cardinals fans out there?

1. First, here's an interesting history of the team. I didn't know until I read this that "the Cardinals, founded in 1898 and a charter member of the National Football League, hold the distinction of being the oldest continuously run professional football franchise in the nation." Here's the whole story:

http://www.azcardinals.com/history/franchise.html

2. And here's a look at the Cardinals as the 2014 season approaches. The consensus seems to be that they were a good team that got better in the off-season. This should make the NFC-West a slug-fest this season, with the Seahawks and 49ers duking it out for first, and the Cardinals close behind--along with an improved Rams team who will have Sam Bradford back. A 10-6 record could conceivably win the division!

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2014arz.php
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little Monday morning fun. One writer's (Matt Reevy) opinion of the Seven Worst NFL Quarterbacks to Start in 2014:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/nfl- ... ish&ref=OB

What do you all think? I guess I agree that 1, 2, and 3 belong on that list: Henne, Cassel, and Fitzpatrick, but I'm not so sure about Smith. And McCown saved the Bears' bacon last year when Cutler went down. This particular list is just one guy's opinion, of course. We could probably each make up our own. One thing in the article that seems to be the consensus: the top 4 elite QBs in the NFL: Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers. That I can agree with.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Not sure if this is common knowledge among regulars here, but with developments last year in my own life, I've begun to pay more attention to this sort of thing.

Min RB Adrian Peterson discovered a few years ago that he's allergic to shellfish. In this recent article he talks about his own experiences of living with this allergy and his work as an allergy awareness advocate:

http://allergicliving.com/2014/06/05/ad ... peaks-out/

I remember a time back around the 1970s when you'd watch a movie or TV show, and an allergy was just something that made you sneeze. Awareness has grown in the last few decades, and having high-profile people like Peterson stepping forward to tell their own stories certainly helps a lot on this front.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:Not sure if this is common knowledge among regulars here, but with developments last year in my own life, I've begun to pay more attention to this sort of thing.

Min RB Adrian Peterson discovered a few years ago that he's allergic to shellfish. In this recent article he talks about his own experiences of living with this allergy and his work as an allergy awareness advocate:

http://allergicliving.com/2014/06/05/ad ... peaks-out/

I remember a time back around the 1970s when you'd watch a movie or TV show, and an allergy was just something that made you sneeze. Awareness has grown in the last few decades, and having high-profile people like Peterson stepping forward to tell their own stories certainly helps a lot on this front.
Good for Adrian for speaking out. I think it helps when high-profile people come forward on issues of importance to all of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is NFL.com's list of the 100 top NFL players for 2014.

Five of the top 100 are Seahawks (but 8 each from the Broncos and 49ers), with four of the five ending up in the top 20. Three members of the Legion of Boom are in the list--with Kam Chancellor at #65, but Richard Sherman (#7 overall) and Earl Thomas (#17) in the top 20. Russell Wilson is at #20, behind four other quarterbacks: Manning (#1 on the list), Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers. Marshawn Lynch makes the list at #14. So the Seahawks have 4 guys in the top 20. You can see how many players from each team made the list by clicking on the team name. The listees will appear at the top of the page.

http://www.nfl.com/top100/2014#video=0ap2000000363848
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something for a boring (NFL-wise) Saturday 12 days or so before training camps open (these are really the dog days in the NFL)! An interesting article (if you're into this sort of thing) about the Super Bowl ring, and what went into it::

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... the-thing/
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=456956

Sherman still babbling away about Crabtree. I don't get this simply because 'who is Richard Sherman' IF Crabtree is not worth having as a reciever. I like the way a lot of the Seahawks D plays because IMO, they play like Sherman but they don't SAY much. Its not what you say, its how you play.

Wonder where Crabtree showed up on the Top 100? I'll have to look into that. It really doesn't make any sense whatsoever if you are rated as a top defensive player if you nemesis is not rated at all. One day Sherman may end up answering a whole bunch of 'why did you let Crabtree have a day like that questions'. As a Seahawks fan, I hope not but we'll see......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:.......Something for a boring (NFL-wise) Saturday 12 days or so before training camps open (these are really the dog days in the NFL)! An interesting article (if you're into this sort of thing) about the Super Bowl ring, and what went into it::

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... the-thing/
Thanks for the piece about the rings (the video was really cool). Really showcases all of those little things on a football field and how they add up to success come the playoffs.....

I have a friend from high school who was in the jewellry business so I recognized some of the process. They are beautiful and I hope that Paul Allen has to shell out for another 400 rings come the end of this years playoffs too......
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Wonder where Crabtree showed up on the Top 100?
He didn't make the top 100.

A little fun reading: another discussion of the top NFL quarterbacks.

After a long discussion about Russell Wilson, the author ranks the five best and five worst "quarterback situations," which actually considers the best and worst QB depth charts, putting a little different spin on the ratings. I agree that Wilson has too few years in to be considered in any ratings of the "best"; some longevity is required, I think. The author, Mike Tanier, with "Sports on Earth," talks of the "Living Legends Trio" of Manning, Brady, and Brees, but also says:

"Aaron Rodgers has the best combination of age, ability and accomplishments of any quarterback in the NFL. There are younger quarterbacks with more upside and raw talent, but none of them has Rodgers' track record. The Living Legend Trio certainly accomplished more than Rodgers has, but they are much older, and Rodgers can now routinely make throws none of them can consistently make, including just about every throw that occurs outside the pocket."

Perhaps given another couple of years of success, Rodgers will join the "Living Legends group"--by then a quartet (unless Manning has retired, and it stays a trio). For my money, though, Rodgers is the best QB playing the game today.

I think the continuing development of Russell Wilson is going to be just fabulous to watch. He's now put in two 100+ QB-rating seasons; no other quarterback has done this. And you get the sense he's just getting started. In terms of sheer physical tools, size, and strength, Colin Kaepernick is superior to Wilson, but Wilson's game prep, smarts, and unrelenting drive (not to mention a helluva fine arm) may make him the better overall QB once their careers are viewed in their entirety.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/84 ... er#!beXPZA
South Pender
Legend

We all like lists, right? 10 best this, 10 worst that. Well, in these dog days in the NFL, here are three lists that I found interesting:

1. Power rankings of NFL head coaches (Elliot Harrison of NFL.com):

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap20000 ... s_harrison

2. 10 most complete running backs (Bucky Brooks at NFL.com):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... 0_20140715

3. Pre-Training Camp NFL Team rankings (Evan Silva at NBC Sports):

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... m-rankings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting (well semi-interesting anyway) short piece (by Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk) on Brett Favre's concerns about the safety of football:

Favre would hesitate to let a son play “violent sport” of football
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 15, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT

Brett Favre does not have a son. But he has talked quite a bit about whether he would let his nonexistent son play football.

Favre said in November that he would be leery of letting a son play football, and in an interview today Favre reiterated that. Favre said one reason is that he wouldn’t want his son to feel he had to live up to his father’s legacy, but a bigger reason is that Favre thinks the risks of injury are significant.

“It’s a violent sport, and for two reasons I don’t know if I’d let him play,” Favre told WDAM in Mississippi. “The pressures to, you know, live up to what your dad had done, but most importantly the damage that is done by playing. I don’t know if I would let him play.”

There are, of course, risks associated with playing football. But there are also risks associated with every other sport, risks associated with activities like bicycling and skateboarding, risks associated with putting your son in the car and driving him to school, and risks associated with the sedentary lifestyle that comes with an avoidance of risky activities.

There are also benefits associated with playing football. Favre knows that well. It’s odd to hear someone who loved playing football so much that he kept coming back, over and over again, even after saying he was retired, and immediately went into coaching high school football when he was finally done playing, say now that he’s not sure it’s worth it.

I don't agree with the author's contention that Favre may be barking up the wrong tree because "...there are also risks associated with every other sport, risks associated with activities like bicycling and skateboarding...." The risks of bicycling are infinitesimal compared with those in football, and lots of other sports are far, far less likely to lead to later-life dementia than football. I think Favre's right about this, although he doesn't go into any detail about his reasons.
South Pender
Legend

Interesting article from Forbes magazine on the 50 most valuable sports teams.

Several soccer teams are at the top, but the majority of the top 50 are NFL teams, with the Cowboys ranked #1 among football teams at $2.3B, and 5th overall. Only two NFL teams fail to make the top 50: the Raiders and Jaguars.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenha ... eams-2014/
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

The new palace for the 49ers opened its doors. Looks great......

Loved the Bill Walsh quote "Champions behave like champions before they are champions"
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Loved the Bill Walsh quote "Champions behave like champions before they are champions"
Exactly. Along the same lines as "try to behave as though you've done this before." Far too uncommon in pro sports these days....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting analysis of NFL running-back longevity:

They peak at 27, and are already on the downhill side of the curve at 28. The graph in this article is interesting in that it shows a different trend for wide receivers. All makes sense, I guess, in that the workhorse RBs get pounded 18-20 times a game, far more frequently than WRs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ter-age-27

And here's another article on the same topic and arriving at about the same conclusion:

http://www.footballperspective.com/a-cl ... -patterns/

Marshawn Lynch (AKA Beast Mode) is now 28. There's talk of a reduced workload, and the Seahawks have a couple of excellent RBs to take up the slack in Robert Turbin and Christine Michael. The latter (a second-round draft pick out of Texas A & M) looks really intriguing, and is likely the next man up when Lynch begins his inevitable decline.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picking up on sj-roc's observation in another thread in the CFL part of the forum (noting that O-linemen score the highest), I found this article (actually slide show) detailing NFL players' Wonderlic scores by position. Just in case you're not aware of the Wonderlic, let me give a very brief description. The full name of the test is the Wonderlic Personnel Test. It has been around for 70+ years in one form or another and is easily the most widely-used measure of general intelligence--or general cognitive ability--used in industry. Millions of job applicants have taken one form or another of the test. Personnel psychologists consider the Wonderlic a relatively-good test of what they refer to as "crystallized intelligence." This is the kind of general intelligence that is developed through acculturating influences like education. It comes close to indexing an individual's general working intelligence. The NFL has administered the Wonderlic for about 30 years now at its yearly combine.

Just to give you some idea of what the various Wonderlic score levels mean, let me add the following. The test has 50 items and is taken in speeded conditions with a time-limit of 12 minutes. The general-population (US) average on the Wonderlic is about 22. The average of 4-year college and university graduates is about 30. PhD and MD graduates would average something like 38+. Some of the reported NFL-player Wonderlic scores over the years have been interesting to say the least, even hilarious. Vince Young's score of 6 was the lowest that I'd heard of until I found the second of the links below, giving the 10 worst Wonderlic scores in NFL history (although the report was written in 2011, so there may be some newer entrants to this bottom-10% group) . Interestingly, two of the 10 played in the CFL (Michael Bishop and Chris Leak). Generally speaking, a score of 6 on this test would put the examinee in about the bottom 2-3% of the general population in terms of what the test measures. To clinical and school psychologists, this stratum is close to what is associated with the term "mentally-challenged," a kinder and gentler term for the older "retarded." Whether or not there were extenuating circumstances surrounding Vince Young's test administration, I don't know (there could be, so I wouldn't draw any hard conclusions about him from the score), but a Wonderlic of 6 is almost unheard-of (well, more precisely, it will be encountered about one time in 50 members of the general population).

Who'd guess that O tackles, as a group, score the highest? Followed by centers. Quarterbacks are only the 3rd most-intelligent group (particularly surprising to me was Dan Marino's score of 16)! Here's the whole story in slide-show format:

Wonderlic scores by position int he NFL: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/photos/aver ... slideshow/

10 Worst Wonderlic Scores in NFL Combine History: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6098 ... ry/page/11

And, as an afterthought, just to balance things out, here are top-scoring active QBs (along with the population averages for folks in 8 ordinary jobs):

http://www.bestmastersdegrees.com/smartest-players/