Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

OK. Let's start at the very beginning this time around. There's already talk of player signings. Trades will occur. As nota notes (I like that), the 2014 combine results will be available soon. Free agency will come in March, the draft in April. Teams are allowed 14 OTAs (Organized Team Activities) during the off-season. What player moves will be necessary for each team to stay under the salary cap? We will have a pretty good idea of how the 32 teams stand by the time training camps open in late July. I'm hoping Pro Football Talk will cover all of these important developments. Let's keep each other informed as things happen!

First rumor: Jermichael Finley (Green Bay tight end) has, according to rumor, shown an interest in the Seahawks. He's about the same size as Zach Miller (just slightly smaller), but is better at getting open and is a little faster. He seems to have more wide-receiver-like talent. Had some big years as a Packer. Would he be an upgrade over Zach Miller?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It seems ridiculous to start this thread ALREADY, but its not IMO.....

We are less than a 100 hours out from the Superbowl but everything is flowing strong for next September.
As noted by many pundits on NFL network, this league is starting to form into two levels, the NFC and the AFC. Back in the merger days this was a snobbery as the NFC was mainly made up of National Football League teams and the AFC more made up of American Football League teams. But that is not the case now. IMO, and many pundits, the NFC is clearly the cream conference. Some feel it is far more likely that the Broncos will return to the Superbowl, whereas the Seahawks will again have to fight their way out of a tougher conference. IOW, the Broncos may get back but can expect a similar result as many NFC teams are built with a lot of the same TYPES of pieces the Seahawks are. Weird really. The Seahawks are the best but pundits see other teams in their conference as being better than the CLEAR best of the AFC...the Broncos
Definately, IMO, Finley would be an upgrade over Miller in terms of getting open etc... but culture wise does he fit? IOW, its not a matter if he is willing to be a Seahawk but instead are the Seahawks willing for him to be a Seahawk?
The rumour I heard that is the most intriguing to me is Richard Sherman is not a top priority signing for the Seahawks. Earl Thomas or Michael Bennett would be bigger concerns. Offensive players like Golden Tate will try to be retained but if someone wants to pay more than the Hawks want....SEE YA
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... -contracts
Will this be a general state of flux in the NFL? there was some chatter a few years back due to the 'Wildcat'. Kaepernick, RG3, Newton and Wilson had a lot of success as 'mobile' quarterbacks. Will this change or continue? IMO, its just classic ebb/flow of football. There will be changes to the rules, schemes and defences that will limit these players the same way changes happened to limit the Mannings, Bradys and Rodgers. The effectiveness of those changes? We'll see but five and ten years from now, I'm betting you'll still be seeing pocket passers ala Drew Brees and mobilers like WIlson.
There has to be some change in classic areas. There is NO WAY the New York Giants are going to put up with another :puke: season like this will Coughlin in charge. Changes will be made and they'll be a better team. How about them Cowboys? Hopefully same old, but if so Garrett has to be walking the plank. RG3 can be expected to have a bounceback season and we can all hear how STUPID and USELESS Shanahan was as a Coach (he's not, IMO, RG3 is the one who needs to change). The big change I see being needed is the Steelers. Powerhouse for so many seasons. Are they going to sink to the actual basement to rebuild or do they retool enough to succeed? IMO, it is more likely they slide.
++++++++++++
Anyway, here is the start to another NFL season. It won't get really juicy until a cool night in the Pacific Northwest when the first OFFICIAL NFL game will probably kick off at CenturyLink field just a few hours down the road :beer:
South Pender
Legend

All good stuff, nota. I think you've identified a lot of interesting themes. For the record, the NFC champion has won 26 of the 48 Super Bowls, with the AFL (one year) or AFC champion winning 22. So, overall, the NFC has been the stronger conference. But there have been the ebbs and flows you talk about. There was the 13-year period from the 1984 to 1996 seasons in which the NFC won every Super Bowl. There was the 10-year period from 2000 to 2009 when the AFC seemed clearly the stronger conference, winning 7 Super Bowls. Right now, you're dead on: the NFC does seem the stronger conference. In fact, there's no guarantee that the Seahawks will win even their division next year, with the 49ers (particularly) and Cardinals breathing down their necks. I think the NFC North will again be strong, with Green Bay and Chicago leading the way. But who knows? That's the great thing about parity and the salary cap. A few judicious trades, free-agent signings, and, boom, all of a sudden a team is a contender. Should be fun watching developments....

Edit: Also good point about Finley. It wasn't always smooth sailing with him in Green Bay. At one point, he said some mildly disparaging things about Aaron Rodgers, although he has really backpedaled on that more recently, saying that he and Aaron are good friends. Might not be an asset in the locker-room in Seattle, messing up the culture there as you suggest, and Miller isn't too bad as a receiver (and possibly a better blocker than Finley).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a piece from Pro Football Talk about Golden Tate's willingness to take a "hometown discount."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -seahawks/

You know, I've been blathering about the need for a true No. 1 receiver for the Seahawks, but Tate and Doug Baldwin have played very well when it's counted. I'm not sure I'd call Tate a No. 1, but he's been damn good when called upon. My idea of a No. 1 is a guy who the opposing defense will always concentrate on (like Sidney Rice before he got hurt), often double-teaming, and thus opening space for the other guys. With a guy like that, along with Percy Harvin, and possibly both Tate and Baldwin on the field on any given play, the Seahawks' passing game would be pretty damn formidable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a piece from Pro Football Talk on Henoc Muamba, now released by the Bombers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -anywhere/

Could he be available to the Lions (our Lions) at some point?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's the rest of Pro Football Talk for a Wednesday:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Lots of interesting stuff in there.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:You know, I've been blathering about the need for a true No. 1 receiver for the Seahawks, but Tate and Doug Baldwin have played very well when it's counted. I'm not sure I'd call Tate a No. 1, but he's been damn good when called upon. My idea of a No. 1 is a guy who the opposing defense will always concentrate on (like Sidney Rice before he got hurt), often double-teaming, and thus opening space for the other guys. With a guy like that, along with Percy Harvin, and possibly both Tate and Baldwin on the field on any given play, the Seahawks' passing game would be pretty damn formidable.
You mean the kinda blathering I went on about needing a running game for the Lions? Yah, you made it clear a true #1 was probably needed. At the time, I agreed but my opinion is shifting somewhat.

I like what guys like Baldwin and Kearse have shown. Balwin in particular seems sensitive about his reputation. I get that. He tweeted he'd like Cris Carter to see his (Baldwins SuperBowl ring). It sounds cocky/arrogant but I don't think its where this comes from. Baldwin/Kearse and Tate are working in a system where Wilson is asked to do certain things. That is because LYNCH is the lynchpin (sorry :wink: ) for that Seahawk offence. Wilson and his recievers certainly proved to me that they can adjust to what the defence was providing. If you had told me that the Broncos would hold Lynch to 39 yards would that have probably meant a Broncos win? But it wasn't. Wilson fit some nice throws into some nice windows. I watched a Chiefs game earlier this season and wish SMith had pass catchers making the kinds of catches the Hawks guys did. Kearse's TD had me jumping up/down. Sure it was poor tackling but he still stayed on his feet and got into the endzone.....

So, IOW, unlike other teams I'm getting more/more comfortable with the Seahawks focussing and spending on defence. Peyton Manning is one of these expensive QB's (and hes not the most expensive) to the point where other positions must suffer in order to get him paid. But if the Broncos drop him or he retires, that KEY COG of their offence is gone. Yes, they'll have a load of money to spend elsewhere but what do they spend it on. Obviously Bailey is pretty much gone, but then again, who knows. Elway/Fox and perhaps Bailey will have things to say about that.......
South Pender
Legend

Here's a brief article by Clare Farnsworth, a writer on Seahawks.com, on Pete Carroll's thoughts after SB XLVIII:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... 6a84f8d5ce

A lot of talk these days about what the 'Hawks need to do to stay strong and possibly repeat in SB XLIX. Carroll's view seems to be overwhelmingly to hold onto the guys they currently have.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Here's a brief article by Clare Farnsworth, a writer on Seahawks.com, on Pete Carroll's thoughts after SB XLVIII:

A lot of talk these days about what the 'Hawks need to do to stay strong and possibly repeat in SB XLIX. Carroll's view seems to be overwhelmingly to hold onto the guys they currently have.
Whaddya you think they need to repeat?

IMO, its just requiring some tweaking on offence. They showed they can win even though a team SHUTS DOWN Lynch. As far as the Defence goes, there is bellyaching regarding how they play (holding/physical). So, IMO, how games get officiated and continued expansion of passing will be WHY Seattle gets back/doesn't. They are in the king conference now and amazingly they are in the BEST division too, according to most.

So, I know Superbowl fifty is still a ways away but.....is it Super Bowl L or Super Bowl XXXXX ? Not up on my roman numerals. My bet is the later. Superbowl L doesn't work for me....
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:
South Pender wrote:Here's a brief article by Clare Farnsworth, a writer on Seahawks.com, on Pete Carroll's thoughts after SB XLVIII:

Whaddya you think they need to repeat?

IMO, its just requiring some tweaking on offence. They showed they can win even though a team SHUTS DOWN Lynch. As far as the Defence goes, there is bellyaching regarding how they play (holding/physical). So, IMO, how games get officiated and continued expansion of passing will be WHY Seattle gets back/doesn't. They are in the king conference now and amazingly they are in the BEST division too, according to most.

So, I know Superbowl fifty is still a ways away but.....is it Super Bowl L or Super Bowl XXXXX ? Not up on my roman numerals. My bet is the later. Superbowl L doesn't work for me....
Here's my $.02 on what they need in order to repeat. (a) Keep all or most of the defense. Give Michael Bennett a little more money to keep him. If it costs the team Chris Clemons, that'll be too bad, but tolerable. Keep Thomas (for sure) and Sherman (who, I don't think is up for extension, but I could be wrong). Keep Mebane. I think this is all do-able. (b) Improve the offense. First, either retain Golden Tate or replace him with a big-time receiver--at the very least. Ideally, keep Tate and add that big-time No. 1 receiver. Sidney Rice's huge salary should be freed up (and Rice dumped) to bring this about. I think that, with Percy Harvin signed for the long-term, another great wide receiver would make the 'Hawks very formidable on offense. Second, strengthen the O-line. Consider replacing Breno Giacomini at right tackle, and definitely get a couple of big, dominating guards into the line. Right now Sweezy and McQuistan have been in those guard positions, and there are differences of opinion about whether they're ultimately good enough. The O-line has been the one weakness of the Seahawks this year, and, with Okung and Unger to build on, it could be much better.

One thing that I've read about the Seahawks is that John Schneider was thinking about this stuff well before the Super Bowl, and is likely prepared to do as well as he can in free agency and the draft. He has said that the goal has been to build the team for the long term, and I'm mildly optimistic that the 2014 version of the team can be at least as good as this year's version, and very likely better. But, of course, we'll have to see what their incumbent players think when big contracts from other teams are waved in their faces!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:So, I know Superbowl fifty is still a ways away but.....is it Super Bowl L or Super Bowl XXXXX ? Not up on my roman numerals. My bet is the later. Superbowl L doesn't work for me....
L is the correct Roman numeral for 50 but since it's all about marketing who knows what they'll go with.

Wikipedia also has this:
It has been dubbed as the Golden Super Bowl because it will be located in the Golden State (California), and will be held in the home stadium of the San Francisco 49ers, a team named after the miners of the California Gold Rush, and because the 50th anniversary is traditionally the "golden anniversary".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_L
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

"Coach wants to see you, and bring your iPad."

Modern tech has impacted pretty much every other facet of the game; it only makes sense that printed playbooks are falling into disfavour.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/02/01/s ... tball-apps
Are digital playbooks the future of the NFL?
By Makenzie Bowker
updated 3:54 PM EST, Sat February 01, 2014

• Half of NFL teams have converted to iPad technology and ditched the paper playbooks
• Tech expert Katie Linendoll explains why digital playbooks could give teams a leg up on their competition
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
notahomer wrote:So, I know Superbowl fifty is still a ways away but.....is it Super Bowl L or Super Bowl XXXXX ? Not up on my roman numerals. My bet is the later. Superbowl L doesn't work for me....
L is the correct Roman numeral for 50 but since it's all about marketing who knows what they'll go with.

Wikipedia also has this:
It has been dubbed as the Golden Super Bowl because it will be located in the Golden State (California), and will be held in the home stadium of the San Francisco 49ers, a team named after the miners of the California Gold Rush, and because the 50th anniversary is traditionally the "golden anniversary".
http://lionbackers.com/

Actually next year's Super Bowl will be no. 49, not 50 (I'm sure you knew that). So, expect to see it referred to as Super Bowl XLIX (I think!). Here are the odds for that one (yes, they're out already!) Seahawks favored at 7/2, followed by the 49ers at 15/2, and then the Broncos at 8/1....

http://www.givemesport.com/427225-seaha ... perbowl-49
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:...... He has said that the goal has been to build the team for the long term, and I'm mildly optimistic that the 2014 version of the team can be at least as good as this year's version, and very likely better. But, of course, we'll have to see what their incumbent players think when big contracts from other teams are waved in their faces!
I won't be at all surprised if they are as good. They just won't be able to surprise teams the way they DID. For e.g. last offseason it was all lets talk about _________ team. The Seahawks seemed to get covered the same way the Cardinals, Rams, Jaguars. IOW, a little but not much. That won't be the case this offseason. They will get lots of coverage.

I think what will help keep players is that they are NOT WANTED, in many cases. They are WANTED now but when they were open, only Seattle said, COME HERE, we can use a guy like YOU! IIRC, Tate has said "hometown discount". He's just one of many, IMO, that would be willing to take less to play in Seattle.......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:

Wikipedia also has this:
Hmm, thats interesting. the GoldenSuperbowl? Cool! Thanks for posting...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:"Coach wants to see you, and bring your iPad."

Modern tech has impacted pretty much every other facet of the game; it only makes sense that printed playbooks are falling into disfavour.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/02/01/s ... tball-apps
Are digital playbooks the future of the NFL?
By Makenzie Bowker
updated 3:54 PM EST, Sat February 01, 2014

• Half of NFL teams have converted to iPad technology and ditched the paper playbooks
• Tech expert Katie Linendoll explains why digital playbooks could give teams a leg up on their competition
The IPAD playbook only makes sense. The video stuff is amazing too. Technology has really changed things in football.

I wanted to catch an episode of PAWN STARS because an old copy of a Miami Dolphins playbook. I wanted to see what it looked like (the playbook).......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Actually next year's Super Bowl will be no. 49, not 50 (I'm sure you knew that). So, expect to see it referred to as Super Bowl XLIX (I think!). Here are the odds for that one (yes, they're out already!) Seahawks favored at 7/2, followed by the 49ers at 15/2, and then the Broncos at 8/1....

http://www.givemesport.com/427225-seaha ... perbowl-49[/quote]

Yes, I knew that Superbowl 50 is not until 2016 and that the next Superbowl is #49. I'm surprised the Broncos are getting odds that good. I think too much money is tied up in Manning. The NFL playoffs are actually quite socialist, I think, in the sense that each player gets an equal share.......
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote: Yes, I knew that Superbowl 50 is not until 2016 and that the next Superbowl is #49. I'm surprised the Broncos are getting odds that good. I think too much money is tied up in Manning. The NFL playoffs are actually quite socialist, I think, in the sense that each player gets an equal share.......
You're right. I read that, for the Super Bowl alone, each player on the winning team received $92,000, and each player on the losing team, $46,000. Nice work if you can get it....