Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Huge comeback win by the Seahawks! Incredible! :beauty: :yahoo:
Good luck in a repeat!

But they better be careful two weeks from now with regards to turnovers and penalties.
And it looks like the NHL and sometimes CFL superstition almost spread to the Seahawks as well as neither Paul Allen, Pete Carroll, and Russell Wilson did not hoist the Goerge Halas trophy but eventually after pressure Kam Chancellor held it up.

------------
Colts vs. Patriots....let's see who will win it.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Unbelievable ending. So many massive plays. The Onside, the 2 point conversion. Just incredible
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Green Bay won the turnover battle and still lost. Can't believe the defensive back didn't make a play on the 2 point conversion.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Congrats the Seahawks on an epic finish and win. But screw you CTV Vancouver with your upcoming story "Is Vancouver a 4 Down Football City Now?" and constant previews throughout today's game.

Didn't know the CFL and the Lions were playing at this time of year. News to me. How about a story on is "Seahawks taking the spotlight away from the Canucks in the middle of the NHL season?"
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Unbelievable ending. So many massive plays. The Onside, the 2 point conversion. Just incredible
Don't forget Canadian Jon Ryan throwing the Seahawks first touchdown. :rockin:
Packers should really regret releasing Ryan just before the 2008 regular season and it turned out to be one of the best free agent signings by the Seahawks.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
aklawitter
All Star

SammyGreene wrote:Congrats the Seahawks on an epic finish and win. But screw you CTV Vancouver with your upcoming story "Is Vancouver a 4 Down Football City Now?" and constant previews throughout today's game.

Didn't know the CFL and the Lions were playing at this time of year. News to me. How about a story on is "Seahawks taking the spotlight away from the Canucks in the middle of the NHL season?"
You would think Bell Media would have more tact than diss their own product (considering TSN/CTV is the exclusive home of the CFL), or at least take a shot at Rogers...
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Congrats the Seahawks on an epic finish and win. But screw you CTV Vancouver with your upcoming story "Is Vancouver a 4 Down Football City Now?" and constant previews throughout today's game.

It's a bandwagon city. Hardly anybody here gave a *poop* about them five years ago and things will revert to that norm in due course. It's happened with the Mariners; now it's their turn.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Catching only bits of the Pats and Colts.

The brilliance of Belichick.

Offence? No problem. Running back? Four different monthly leaders. Bring Blount in. Ship him out. Bring him back.

Blocking? Precise. Powerful.

I love watching his team play. Press conferences? Ummm ... No.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

Robbie wrote:Don't forget Canadian Jon Ryan throwing the Seahawks first touchdown. :rockin:
Not to mention Canadian Luke Willson, who caught two today (albeit for only 11 yards), including that all-important two-point PAT in what was a fouled-up play ending in sheer desperation by Russell Wilson.

I think that that game is close to the strangest game I've ever seen, with what has to be the most improbable finish in decades. Down by 12 points with under 3 minutes to go. The onside kickoff recovery. Marshawn Lynch powering his way for the go-ahead TD. The completely-flukey two-point PAT. Then the purrfect pass to Jermaine Kearse (who'd been a non-factor all-game long up to that point) for the OT win. Just unfrigginbelievable! I confess that I felt sorry for Packers fans (and much more so for poor Brandon Bostick who muffed the onside kick--having it bounce off his helmet--that was recovered by ex-CFL rookie of the year Chris Matthews for the 'Hawks) . The game seemed to be so under control for the Packers--cruising to a victory with under 3 minutes to go, and then that or, as John Madden would say, Boom! Just devastating. But a gutty win for the Seahawks, reaching down and finding just a little more to pull this one out. Good on Russell Wilson for not getting down from his earlier poor play and stepping up when it was absolutely necessary. And gutsy performances from Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman, hanging in on defense when hurt. Here's a recap with statistics, this time from ESPN:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400749519

All the clichés are true. Great teams find a way to win.

Here's a video of pretty much all of the scoring plays. Enjoy this (unless you're a Packers fan):

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... f3c3648c13
Last edited by South Pender on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I wonder how many Seahawks fans in CenturyLink Field left the stadium with less than 5 minutes left especially after Wilson's last interception. :shock:

That said, a premature but I totally dare say accurate statement is that it will be Seahawks vs. Patriots for Super Bowl XLIX. The Seahawks will have to contain Tom Brady. They managed to do that with Peyton Manning in Super Bowl XLVIII, but didn't do all that well with Aaron Rodgers and allowed the Packers to take a huge lead. It's definitely fair to say the Seahawks were extremely lucky to win the coin toss in overtime and win after committing 5 turnovers.
祝你龍年行大運。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

x2. I saw that and heard shades of the "Toronto is an NFL city" kinds of conversations. Seemed like a cheap assed attempt at making a news story. However, have come to expect next to nothing from most TV news stations these days. Most of it is cheap, poorly researched and a poorly written excuse for something resembling news. As for Tamara Taggart, phht. Met her a couple of times before she was "famous" and she was insubstantial then and IMO still just as insubstantial now.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
South Pender
Legend

And to complete the day's activities, there's the embarrassment in Foxborough: 45-7 Patriots over a completely outmatched Colts team. Bill Belichick may be a doofus in the minds of some and hated by many in football, but the guy can coach. Remarkable record of success for him with the Patriots and a record 6th Super Bowl trip for him and Tom Brady. Here's the recap, again from ESPN, of this debacle:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400749520

So on to Arizona in two weeks. Patriots vs Seahawks. Should be a doozy....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote: As for Tamara Taggart, phht. Met her a couple of times before she was "famous" and she was insubstantial then and IMO still just as insubstantial now.
Only reason she's a news anchor is her looks. Her previous experience was doing the weather.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

no need to be taking cheep shots at tamara. She is a nice person and not likely to be responsible for the story.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

For those who are still thinking about yesterday's NFC title game, I ran across this from CBC Sports, giving videos of 7 must-see plays from the game. These were the plays that, more than any others, decided the game. Seeing these again, I think that the 2-point conversion was one of the most improbable plays I've ever seen in football. Wilson is retreating, backpedaling to the far right and then throws the ball across his body way over the left to Canadian boy Luke Willson for a just unbelievable 2-pt. play.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/s ... -1.2917340