Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Is Russell Wilson getting a big head?
Well I respect your opinion but what he said doesn't rub me the wrong way much at all. It certainly doesn't seem that he thinks hes even part of that 'elite' group. IMO, RG3 has a far bigger 'helmet size' problem than Wilson does. I sure hope he does become one of those guys who gets talked about ala Montana etc... simply because Wilson has been fun to watch so far AND it will probably mean another Superbowl ring or so should he become part of that conversation........
South Pender
Legend

And while we're on the topic of expanding noggins, how about this:

Manziel applies for “The House That Johnny Built” trademark

Posted by Mike Florio on April 3, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is concerned that quarterback Johnny Manziel wants to be “the celebrity man guy.”

There’s a chance that will be the next phrase for which Manziel tries to acquire a federal trademark.

With Manziel already attempting to secure the rights to “Johnny Football,” Darren Rovell of ESPN.com confirms that Manziel has applied for other trademarks, including “The House That Johnny Built.”

There’s no problem with a guy trying to maximize his revenue, from whatever legitimate and legal source. But at a time when Camp Manziel is trying to get everyone to believe he’s all about the steak and not about the sizzle, it would be smart to at least defer the sizzle until after the card with his name on it is turned in.

On one hand, it’s smart for Manziel to strike while the iron is hot. On the other hand, he may have trouble making the iron glow any more brightly if teams inclined to take him think he’ll be less concerned about building the house and more concerned about selling it out.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:And while we're on the topic of expanding noggins, how about this:

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is concerned that quarterback Johnny Manziel wants to be “the celebrity man guy.”

There’s a chance that will be the next phrase for which Manziel tries to acquire a federal trademark.

With Manziel already attempting to secure the rights to “Johnny Football,” Darren Rovell of ESPN.com confirms that Manziel has applied for other trademarks, including “The House That Johnny Built.”

There’s no problem with a guy trying to maximize his revenue, from whatever legitimate and legal source. But at a time when Camp Manziel is trying to get everyone to believe he’s all about the steak and not about the sizzle, it would be smart to at least defer the sizzle until after the card with his name on it is turned in.

On one hand, it’s smart for Manziel to strike while the iron is hot. On the other hand, he may have trouble making the iron glow any more brightly if teams inclined to take him think he’ll be less concerned about building the house and more concerned about selling it out.
:bang: MAKES NO SENSE, IMO. I'm not interested much in either his steak or his sizzle. I'll watch the games he's in but doubt his sponsors will be making much $$$ off of me.
South Pender
Legend

Now here's a story that ticks me off. My comments come after this piece from Pro Football Talk:

Jim Brown doesn’t see many great runners in today’s NFL
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

As Jim Brown surveys the landscape of running backs in the modern NFL, he’s not particularly impressed.

Brown told the Northeast Ohio Media Group that the reason not many running backs are getting the ball 20 times a game — as he did during his Hall of Fame career with the Browns — is that there just aren’t very many great running backs in the NFL right now.

“Who are the running backs who aren’t getting the ball today who should be?” Brown said. “Adrian Peterson isn’t running by committee. Nobody is going to tell me Marshawn Lynch can’t run. He’s strong as an ox. I don’t have the answers, but it doesn’t bother me. I don’t measure things by the average, which I know writers would have to look at things the way they have to, but I don’t have to. I’m looking at the exceptions to the rule, not the rule. . . . As we sit here, I can’t name seven great runners. Can you?”

For the handful of runners who truly are great, however, Brown thinks it’s a shame when their teams don’t recognize their greatness and get them the ball as often as possible.

“I could never understand why they did that to Barry Sanders in Detroit,” Brown said. “I know that’s one of the reasons why he retired, because they took him out on third down and let someone else catch the ball. I thought they must be out of their mind because Barry is such a threat.”

How would Brown fare in today’s NFL?

“I believe if I were playing the game today, I would still get the ball as much as I did all those years ago,” Brown said.

The game has changed and running backs have been devalued since Brown retired half a century ago. But Jim Brown would be a great player in any era.

Has this guy ever had anything nice to say about another NFL running back? Whenever other RBs have been discussed as to their greatness, Brown has always found a way to tear them down. Do you recall the way he savaged Franco Harris? When asked about Walter Payton, Brown said something like "Walter is doing his thing." His comments in this piece about Barry Sanders are about as close as I've seen him come to flat-out, unqualifiedly praising another running back. He seems to think that if we praise a current RB, somehow we'll forget that he is the greatest RB who ever played (which he firmly believes).

I have no respect for this guy. It's certainly true that he was a great running back. Whether he was the greatest of all time could be debated. But as a human being he falls far short of greatness. He comes across as a mean-spirited, petty person, who, as we all know, was a bully and liked to beat up women. My message for Jim Brown: Sit down and shut up.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:And while we're on the topic of expanding noggins, how about this:

I think he should concentrate his efforts on making the team first before self promotion.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Champ Bailey saying all the right things on NFL network. He's been signed to a contract to play with the Saints. That division is looking like a nasty one (it was nasty before Bailey signed, IMO). I would NOT have been surprised to hear Bailey had not gotten a contract offer. And even though he has signed a deal, will he show enough in training camp? Methinks so but proofs in the puddin. Gotta figure this will be his last year unless he overcomes his last season. He's wanted a shot at the SUperbowl, got to play in it but lost. I wonder how much of what he'll bring for the Saints is the leadership. This defence was improved under Ryan but players also learn well from vets. Bailey certainly qualifies as a VET :cool:
South Pender
Legend

Read something today to suggest that Pete Carroll, with his new contract, is now among the top three most highly-paid coaches in the NFL. It is assumed that the other two are Sean Payton and Bill Belichick. These guys are all making close to $8M/year. I think Carroll's last contract was for $7M/year. That should be enough to set Jim Harbaugh on fire.... :wink:
South Pender
Legend

There appears to be a breaking story about Colin Kaepernick and a sexual-assault accusation. I'm taking these stories from Pro Football Talk:

1. Report: Colin Kaepernick investigated for alleged sexual assault
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 10, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has not been charged, but is reportedly being investigated in connection with an incident in a Miami hotel last week.

TMZ reports that police are investigating an alleged incident at the Viceroy Hotel in Miami this month. Although TMZ reported the investigation as centering on a sexual assault, the incident report made no specific allegations.

The investigation is described as in the “beginning stages.” No details were provided about the nature of the allegations against Kaepernick.

TMZ reached out to Kaepernick’s agent and the 49ers and neither had any comment.

UPDATE 12:43 p.m. ET: The 49ers released the following statement from General Manager Trent Baalke: “The 49ers organization is aware of the recent media report regarding Colin Kaepernick and is in the process of gathering the pertinent facts.”

2. Report: Other players involved in Kaepernick case
Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

It’s still too early to know much about the sexual assault allegations reportedly made against 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area, police have indicated that 49ers receiver Quinton Patton and Seahawks receiver Ricardo Lockette were involved, and that the incident happened at Lockette’s apartment in Miami.

It’s unclear at this point whether there will be any criminal charges or league-imposed discipline. Four years ago, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger received a six-game suspension (reduced to four) after being sued for sexual assault in July 2009 and then accused of sexual assault in early 2010. He was never arrested or charged in either case.

It’s also unclear whether and to what extent the allegations will affect the 49ers’ willingness to make a significant long-term financial commitment to Kaepernick. Based on the perceptions of former 49ers safety Donte Whitner, coach Jim Harbaugh may not be thrilled about this situation, at all.

“He said that we can do anything in the world and we can come and talk to him and he’ll forgive us except put our hands on women,” Whitner said in 2012, after Harbaugh first season as head coach. “If you put your hand on a woman then you’re done in his book. So other than putting your hands on women, you can do anything and come talk to him, and it’s true.”

What’s true or not true in this case remains to be seen. There’s a good chance that, as in other situations like this, the full truth will never be known.

3. Incident report in Kaepernick case makes no specific allegations
Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT

The official incident report identifies 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, 49ers receiver Quinton Patton, and Seahawks receiver Ricardo Lockette as suspects. But what they’re suspected of isn’t specified.

The incident report, a copy of which was obtained by CSN Bay Area, explains that an unidentified woman went to Lockette’s apartment in Miami. Kaepernick and Patton were there. She later “mixed some drinks for all of them and gave them shots.” She claims the men “told her that in order to drink the shots she had to ‘hit’ the bong which contained marijuana.”

The woman says she began to feel lightheaded and went to a bedroom to lay down. Kaepernick allegedly entered the room “and started kissing her.” He then began to undress her. Kaepernick said he’d be right back and left the bedroom. She waited naked in the bed, and Patton and Lockette opened the door and “peeked” inside. She says she told them to leave, they closed the door and left, and she remembers nothing after that.

The woman claims that she woke up in a hospital bed, and that she doesn’t recall how she got there or who took her there. She also said that she has had a sexual relationship in the past with Kaepernick.

While the report states that Kaepernick and the woman did not have sex before he left the room, the report doesn’t say whether evidence of intercourse was detected at the hospital. It’s also unclear whether the victim or police believe that she was drugged.

For now, the incident is described as “suspicious,” and the report indicates that the “investigation continues.”

At a minimum, the NFL will be concerned about the allegation of marijuana use, which could be enough to get the players in Stage One of the substance-abuse program (or higher if they’re already in the program). Far more serious consequences would hinge on whatever police determine happened to the woman, and if there’s any reliable way to prove who did it.

Hard to believe (and it may come to nothing). But, if true, it's another one of the many "how could this guy be so stupid" moments. Happened a few years ago with Ben Roethlisberger. Ricardo Lockette, by the way, is a backup WR with the Seahawks. He saw very little action in 2013.

We'll stay tuned on this one....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Hard to believe (and it may come to nothing). But, if true, it's another one of the many "how could this guy be so stupid" moments. Happened a few years ago with Ben Roethlisberger. Ricardo Lockette, by the way, is a backup WR with the Seahawks. He saw very little action in 2013.

We'll stay tuned on this one....
Thanks for the info, South P, hadn't heard about this yet but I've had a busy week at work. I think I have caught about 45 minutes TOTAL of NFL network mumbojumbo this week. I'm with you on the :bang: how could you be so dumb. A bit weird that a Seahawk backup is hanging out with some 49ers. I know its a free world. Maybe its just me but there was a time, at least it was made to look that way, you just DID NOT hang out with players from other teams. Now if Crabtree and Sherman get caught smoking a joint together... thats it, the NFL is as scripted :wink: as prowrestling!!!
South Pender
Legend

And now this....

Kaepernick sounds off against TMZ report

Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT

Despite the criticism routinely heaped on TMZ, TMZ routinely isn’t wrong. When it comes to TMZ’s initial report that 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is being investigated for sexual assault, TMZ was wrong.

And Kaepernick is letting TMZ hear about it.

“The charges made in the TMZ story and other stories I’ve seen are completely wrong,” Kaepernick said on Twitter on Friday morning. “They make things up about me that never happened. I take great pride in who I am and what I do, but I guess sometimes you have to deal with someone who makes things up. I want to thank all of the people who have shared their encouraging sentiments. I assure you that your faith is not misplaced.”

Kaepernick is right. Miami police have said he’s not being investigated for sexual assault.

Still, there’s an incident report containing a set of facts that has a gap between the time a woman Kaepernick allegedly was kissing and disrobing passed out in an apartment bed and woke up in a hospital bed. By speaking out generally about the situation, Kaepernick may have opened the door to an expectation that he’ll address the specifics — and that he’ll explain what happened after the woman passed out. Or that he’ll dispute the details of her story.
South Pender
Legend

Time for some fun. Here is one guy's (Elliot Harrison of NFL.com) opinion about the top 20 quarterbacks of all time:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... _harrison1

Warren Moon at #19. Joe Montana at #1 (and I have to agree). Any serious omissions? Anyone on the top-20 list that shouldn't be?
South Pender
Legend

Another from our How could this guy be so stupid? file:

49ers “disappointed to learn” of Aldon Smith incident at LAX

Posted by Josh Alper on April 13, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT

The reports about linebacker Aldon Smith being detained at Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday were correct.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed that airport police detained Smith after he indicated he had a bomb while in the security line. Schefter also shared video of the incident while the airport police have released the following report, via the Sacramento Bee, about the incident.

“At approximately 1400 hrs, a 25-year-old male resident of San Jose, California, was going through Terminal 1 screening and was randomly selected for a secondary screening. The suspect then became belligerent and uncooperative with the process and with the TSA agent, making a comment indicating that he was in possession of a bomb before proceeding towards the gate area. Los Angeles Airport Police made contact with him at the gate and he was positively identified as the person in question. Once again the male subject became uncooperative and he was detained and taken into custody by Airport Police and is currently being transported to LAPD for booking.”

The 49ers have released a statement as well, the second time this week that they’ve confirmed their knowledge of reports concerning their players’ off-field behavior and the second time they’ve withheld further comment until warranted.

“We are disappointed to learn of the incident today involving Aldon Smith,” General Manager Trent Baalke said in the statement. “As this is a pending legal matter and we are still gathering the pertinent facts, we will have no further comment.”

And, on the same story we have today (Monday):
Aldon Smith released from custody after posting $20,000 bail
Posted by Josh Alper on April 14, 2014, 7:04 AM EDT

49ers linebacker Aldon Smith’s Sunday trip to the airport in Los Angeles ended with a visit to jail instead of a flight to another city, but he was released before the night was out.

Smith was booked for being in violation of California Penal Code 148.1(a) after saying he had a bomb during an incident with airport security, which carries a possible punishment of one year in jail. For now, though, Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group reports that he’s out of custody after posting $20,000 bail.

As reported on Sunday night, police believe Smith had been drinking alcohol before the incident but cannot confirm it because it had no bearing on the conditions of his arrest. It’s sure to be a big concern for the 49ers, however, as Smith spent time in rehab last season and still has charges pending for the second of his two recent DUI arrests. Smith also still faces weapon charges after authorities found guns at his home last summer during a party that ended with Smith being treated for stab wounds.

49ers CEO Jed York said last month that the team thought Smith was doing well after his rehab stint and that the team didn’t want to “make it more stick than carrot” when it came to making sure he remained out of trouble in the future. The team said it was “disappointed” in a statement on Sunday, however, and they have a decision to make about the fifth-year option on Smith’s contract.

As they’re unlikely to release Smith, passing on that would be the likeliest way for the 49ers to employ the stick in light of this arrest. The impact could be limited, though. Even with Sunday’s developments, a strong 2014 season for Smith would turn that into a lot of carrots from the 49ers or someone else at some point in the 2015 offseason.

I particularly liked one of the many comments following this story: "Million dollar talent, 10-cent head." :wink:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this, from that same How could this guy be so stupid? file:

Draft hopeful James Wilder Jr. arrested
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 14, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT

James Wilder Jr., a former Florida State running back who is hoping to be drafted next month, was arrested in Tampa on Sunday night.

The Tampa Bay Times reports that Wilder was arrested on an outstanding warrant related to a charge of driving with a suspended license. He was arrested at 7:21 p.m. on Sunday and released on $1,000 bail at 12:20 a.m. on Monday.

According to the report, Wilder has been cited for violations related to his drivers license at least four times. He was also arrested in February of 2012 and was accused of battery on an officer; he later pleaded no contest to a charge of resisting an officer without violence. Wilder spent time in jail later that year after he violated his probation by having traces of alcohol on his breath when he reported to a sheriff’s work camp.

Wilder had 81 carries for 563 yards and eight touchdowns last season in helping the Seminoles win the national championship. He decided to forego his senior season to enter the NFL draft.

Wilder’s father was a Pro Bowl running back for the Buccaneers and is Tampa Bay’s all-time leading rusher.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-p ... nd-mirrors

I enjoyed this clip regarding the upcoming NFL draft. I still haven't got out to see the movie (draft day with Costner). I enjoy all the drama and chatter over professional drafts. Tomlinson stated in the clip that lots of teams (Falcons, Bears and others) had worked him out and told him "IF YOU ARE STILL THERE, WE"RE TAKING YOU" but the team that actually did never said PEEP to him. IOW, the Chargers purposedly avoiding working him out, talking with him etc... simply because by not showing interest, they would be more likely to land him. Got to get out to catch that Costner flick.... :popcorn:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Now all the matchups are already set. Every team knows who'll they'll be playing. However, the actual weekly NFL schedule hits the streets sometime tomorrow. I have to admit, I'm not in any pools but I still like to pickem every week. Had a couple purrfect weeks last week but more than my share of 50% or less. IIRC, there will be games on Sundays (DUH!), Sunday Nights, Monday Nights, Thursday Nights and even Saturdays this season......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well Sidney Rice and the Seahawks have kissed and made up......
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=449565
Have to admit I was surprised to see Rice back with the 'hawks but both sides are happy. IMO, part of it must be the fact he got himself a ring while being a Seahawk ( I think he gets one even though he was injured at the time). Hope he helps the offence be a bigger part of what was a great defensive team in 2013.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************
Chris Johnson signs with SuperRex and the Jets. I watched him break the 2000 yard mark in a game as a Titan versus the Seahawks in Seattle. Rex Ryan certainly likes a heavy dose of run game but it should be interesting this season. You have another decent RB plus a QB who is well known for making hay along the ground. Maybe this will be a bounceback year for a guy whose reputation seems to have suffered ever since he's been cashing the bigger paycheques he earned earlier in his career.....
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=449531
*************************************************************************************************************************************************'
Manning making nice about loss to Seahawks in the Superbowl. Really, really loved watching Peyton. STill admire and respect him but can't say I pull for him the way I did a few years ago. Broncos are heavily favoured to make it back to the Superbowl but it will be tough regardless. Both teams (seahawks/broncos) will have to do just as much if not more to get back to the big one. I haven't forgotten that it took some anxiety producing moments in the NFC conference championships before the 49ers finally lost but I guess you deserve what you get when you throw the ball to a nobody like Crabtree in a situation like that (sorry my inner-sherman had to say that :cool: ).
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=449516