Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

That must have been a dreadful game for the Bears. By the time I got home, it was the 4th quarter and seemed to be all over. Cutler went 55% for 194 and 3 interceptions. Yikes!

There really is something wrong with the Bears. In the past couple of years, it's been mainly the defense that's been weak, but now it looks as if the offense is terrible too, and that's really hard to understand, what with a strong-armed QB, fine RB, and three really outstanding receivers (although Brandon Marshall was out of the lineup last night).

Bears TE Martellus Bennett had this to say after the game (from Pro Football Talk):

Martellus Bennett says Bears lack passion
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 16, 2014, 7:25 AM EST

Bears tight end Martellus Bennett believes the problem on his team is not about talent. It’s about effort.

‘‘There are some positions on the team that need to step up with leadership and things like that around the club,” Bennett told the Chicago Sun-Times. “But overall, I just feel like we need passion to come from certain places. I don’t think the passion is always there all the time. But overall, it just hasn’t been there.’’

Asked to name which people in the locker room lack passion, Bennett wouldn’t say. But he would say it’s a problem that goes beyond just one or two guys.

‘‘Several people,’’ Bennett said. ‘‘I don’t really get into the name thing. They know who they are.’’

Whoever they are, the Bears will need to get rid of them this offseason. After the way the Bears have played down the stretch this year, it’s become clear that a house-cleaning is in order.

Bennett is a guy I'd love to see come to the Seahawks--to join his brother Michael Bennett.

Here's the recap of last night's game for anyone interested.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412150 ... e=boxscore

As for Gruden returning to the Raiders, this just popped up on Pro Football Talk:

ESPN announces contract extension with Jon Gruden through 2021
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 15, 2014, 10:25 PM EST

Any thoughts of Jon Gruden leaving ESPN to return to coach the Oakland Raiders can now be put to rest.

The network announced a contract extension for their Monday Night Football broadcast analyst during halftime of the game between the New Orleans Saints and Chicago Bears on Monday night. The deal extends Gruden’s deal with the network through the 2021 season.

Play-by-play man Mike Tirico said on the broadcast that the deal will keep Gruden “out of coaching.”

That’s likely true, at least in the interim.

Gruden’s name will still be thrown in the mix for any number of head coaching vacancies in the future. However, the new deal would seem to eliminate him from contention for any openings this offseason, including his former job in Oakland.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

They said in the game last night that Gruden signed a long term deal with ESPN as long as they have MNF.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:.....Gruden’s name will still be thrown in the mix for any number of head coaching vacancies in the future. However, the new deal would seem to eliminate him from contention for any openings this offseason, including his former job in Oakland.
I never saw why he'd want to return to the Raiders. I guess you might want to finish what you started etc.....but he's obviously been happy doing what he's doing. I doubt the job of a colour analyst is as easy as some may make it out to be but IT HAS TO BE EASIER in terms of hours than being a head coach and/or coordinator. I like the crew on MNF, I just think their slate of games have NOT been amazing this year in terms of entertainment. For e.g. last year, IIRC, we had that Seahawk/Packer game that ended in contreversy and brought about quick resolution of a labour dispute with the ZEBRAS. All in all, I have enjoyed only a few of the various NIGHTER games. I'm hoping to see quick an exception this week when the Seahawks play the Cardinals in what will probably settle the NFC West (although it will still take more work by the winner the next week too).....
South Pender
Legend

The mess in Chicago just gets worse and worse. Now we have the $126.7M man benched for this Sunday's game at home against the Lions.

Bears bench Jay Cutler, start Jimmy Clausen

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 17, 2014, 6:37 PM EST

The Bears’ collapse has reached epic proportions, as Jay Cutler has lost his job as Chicago’s starting quarterback.

Cutler has been benched and Jimmy Clausen will start on Sunday against the Lions, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

For Cutler to get benched after playing just 14 games into the enormous contract he signed this offseason demonstrates just how big the mess in Chicago is. That contract may cost both Bears G.M. Phil Emery and Bears coach Marc Trestman their jobs.

And Cutler’s play has already cost him his job. Whether Cutler has any future in Chicago or anywhere else in the NFL remains to be seen, and the Bears owe Cutler a guaranteed salary of $15.5 million next season whether he’s on their team or not.

But at the present, Cutler is out, and Clausen is the Bears’ starting quarterback.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

What concerns me about the Bears is the percieved lack of effort. Why would people be willing to risk that?

Last Thursday Nighter tomorrow night......
South Pender
Legend

For Seahawks fans, this just in, from Pro Football Talk, on K. J. Wright, who has just been extended. Wright is an integral part of the really solid linebacking corps (Wright, Bobby Wagner, and Bruce Irvin) that has excelled the last couple of years. He's a big, rangy guy (6-4, 246) who has good instincts, hits hard, and is versatile, being able to play all the LB positions (he played in the middle when Bobby Wagner went down earlier in the season). Some of you may remember how he completely shut down Jimmy Graham when the Saints came to Seattle and got thoroughly thrashed 34-7 in 2013. Wright usually plays as the weak-side LB, but, as noted, can play any of the linebacking positions. The 'Hawks will need to sew up Wagner as well, in the off-season, to preserve their defensive excellence.

Seahawks extend K.J. Wright
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EST

The Seahawks have locked up a young starter on their stellar defense for the next four years.

K.J. Wright, the 25-year-old linebacker who has started all 14 games this season, has signed a four-year extension.

“In the offseason, we identified K.J. as one of our core players moving forward and aimed to keep him as a part of the Seahawks family for a long time,” G.M. John Schneider said in a statement. “The timing of this signing gives us the ability to keep as many of our core players together as we possibly can. Since Day One, K.J. has been a true professional in his daily approach and we are excited for K.J., his family and the 12s to keep him in the organization.”

The Seahawks drafted Wright with the 99th overall pick in 2011 and he became a starter as a rookie. He’s a big part of the Seahawks’ defensive success and would have been a big target of other teams in free agency next year, but now he’s in Seattle for the long haul.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight's Thursday nighter. Hard to get interested in this one: the 2-12 Titans at the 2-12 Jaguars. Just a dog of a game. Maybe it seemed like a decent game when the schedule was being drawn up in the off-season. For anyone interested, here's the preview (for what it's worth, Jaguars favored by 3.5):

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412180 ... ab=preview
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Have to agree South P, the Thursday Nighter does look like a dog BUT...... there have been some AWESOME looking games on paper this season for the various 'NIGHTERS' that were dogs once they got played. This game maybe worth watching although nothing will really be riding on it save for a team who wins possibly moving DOWN in the draft :dizzy:
South Pender
Legend

This just in via Pro Football Talk--and headed straight to the Ready-Made Joke file:

Joe Thomas facing charges for discharging manure
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 19, 2014, 12:49 PM EST

Some days the jokes fall right into your lap.

According to the Associated Press, Browns left tackle Joe Thomas is accused of multiple environmental violations on his Wisconsin hunting land, including “discharging manure into a wetland.”

Considering his employer has been doing that along the banks of Lake Erie for the last few decades, we’ll assume he’ll have the support of management.

The report said the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources sent him a letter claiming he has built bridges and dams without permits, along with dredging a pond and tearing down a barn without notice.

The DNR wants to meet with him on Jan. 6 to discuss the violations, and he could face $10,000 a day in fines

There are actual environmental and property rights issues at play here, but let’s not kid ourselves.

Discharging manure. That’s all.

Gantt's reference to Thomas's employer releasing effluent along the banks of Lake Erie (which I thought was hilarious and have bold-italicized in the article) is, of course, tied to the manure-like performance of Thomas's team, the Cleveland Browns for several decades now. (Just in case some readers might have missed the connection--not likely, I know! :wink: )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Seahawks fans, Cliff Avril extended for four years:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2305 ... d-reaction

This is a little surprising, not because Avril isn't a pass-rushing force (he is), but because of the cap money that it ties up. The thinking among many 'Hawks fans was that Avril would probably walk after the 2014 season as Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson would be in line for extensions and big contracts. I guess GM John Schneider thinks he can get it all done, though, as there's no way they'd risk losing either Wagner or Wilson.

Avril is a great pass rusher, and along with Michael Bennett, gives the Seahawks a great push up front. When Bruce Irvin is factored in, from his OLB position, the Seahawks' pass rush can be lethal. I'm glad to see the Seahawks focusing on maintaining their really potent defense.
South Pender
Legend

NFL Week 16 Games: Previews and Odds

1. Saturday, Dec. 20, 1:30 p.m. PST: Eagles at Washington: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412200 ... ab=preview; Odds: Eagles by 8

2. Saturday, Dec. 20, 5:30 p.m. PST: Chargers at 49ers: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412200 ... ab=preview; 49ers by 1

3. Sunday, Dec. 21, 10:00 a.m. PST:

Vikings at Dolphins: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Dolphins by 6.5

Packers at Buccaneers: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Packers by 11.5

Lions at Bears: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Lions by 8.5

Falcons at Saints: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Saints by 6

Patriots at Jets: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Patriots by 10.5

Chiefs at Steelers: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Steelers by 3

Browns at Panthers: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Panthers by 3.5

Ravens at Texans: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Ravens by 5

4. Sunday, Dec. 21, 1:05 or 1:25 p.m. PST:

Giants at Rams: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Rams by 5.5

Bills at Raiders: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412211 ... ab=preview; Bills by 6

Colts at Cowboys: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... ab=preview; Cowboys by 3

5. Sunday, Dec. 21, 5:30 p.m. PST:

Seahawks at Cardinals: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412211 ... ab=preview; Seahawks by 8

6. Monday, Dec. 22, 5:30 p.m. PST: Broncos at Bengals: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412220 ... ab=preview; Broncos by 3

Week 16 Game Notes:

1. Saturday games. Both have playoff implications. Washington is out of the race, but the Eagles really need a win to stay in the running for a playoff spot. Everything says that the Eagles take this one easily, but, you never know, I guess. Chargers at 49ers could be a decent game. The Chargers are still in the playoff hunt, while the 49ers are not. On paper, the 49ers are probably the better team, but all the distractions surrounding Jim Harbaugh's reported imminent departure (to the Raiders or the University of Michigan) might mean a 49ers letdown.

2. Sunday morning games. There are some dogs in this time slot, but the following might be decent: Falcons at Saints, since both are trying to win the NFC-South; Chiefs at Steelers, with both trying for playoff spots; and Browns at Panthers, with playoff chances at stake and another outing for Johnny Football. :wink:

3. Sunday afternoon games. The best one here would be the Colts at Cowboys, with both teams in the thick of playoff contention. Interestingly, the Boys have played poorly at home this season, with all their losses at AT&T Stadium, where they're currently 3-4. The 10-4 Colts have sewn up their division, but would like to improve their record to move up in the seedings.

4. The Sunday Nighter. This is the best game of the day, with the Seahawks really needing a win to clinch the division and get a favorable seeding for the playoffs. The Cardinals will be tough, as always with Bruce Arians getting his team up for games. The Cardinals will evidently start 3rd-string quarterback, Ryan Lindley, and 'Hawks' DC Dan Quinn will be dialing up major pressure to rattle the inexperienced starter. The Seahawks should be able to keep the Cardinals from scoring many points, but the question will be whether the Seahawks' offense can do anything against a superb Cardinals defense. The Seahawks' O-line has been mediocre this season and will be missing starters LT Russell Okung and C Max Unger. I have a feeling that Russell Wilson will be spending a lot of his time running for his life. Could be a close, low-scoring game.

5. The Monday Nighter. This could be a good game between two good teams. The Bengals are in tough in the AFC-North, up by only a half game over the Steelers and Ravens, and need to win this one, at home, to stay on top. The Broncos have clinched the AFC-West, but would like to extend their record to 12-3 and, maybe, take the No. 1 seed over the Patriots. Otherwise, they will likely have to travel to Foxborough to play the Patriots in the playoffs (that would be the AFC Championship Game).
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I don't get it.

With the eagles losing today, the best they can do is tie dallas, seattle, and green bay. Each of these teams have beat the eagles, and the eagles have the worst conference record. So why are they not already eliminated. Why does each of the other 3 teams need one more point to clinch this weekend????

actually, I know why the eagles can still beat Dallas, but I still don't get the other two
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:I don't get it.

With the eagles losing today, the best they can do is tie dallas, seattle, and green bay. Each of these teams have beat the eagles, and the eagles have the worst conference record. So why are they not already eliminated. Why does each of the other 3 teams need one more point to clinch this weekend????

actually, I know why the eagles can still beat Dallas, but I still don't get the other two
Yeah...it's confusing as hell. I think you hit on it with the Cowboys losing their last two, and the Eagles winning their last game. That way, they would both end up 10-6, and I think the Eagles would get the nod because they beat the 'Boys by a larger margin than the margin by which they lost to them in the second game. I'm not certain this is right, but it's all I can come up with. I'm not even going to attempt the math for the other two. :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Ditka has had it with the Bears:

Mike Ditka bailed early on the Bears Monday
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 17, 2014, 6:22 AM EST

The Bears have been so bad this year that change seems inevitable.

But here’s how bad it’s gotten — they’ve lost Mike Ditka.

The legendary Bears coach admitted he gave up on Monday’s loss to the Saints early, a clear sign that even the most ingrained of Chicagoans are losing interest.

“I’ll tell you what, I watched until it was 14-0, then I turned the game off,” he said in his regular spot in the Chicago Sun-Times. “I didn’t watch any more. So, I don’t know what happened. I don’t know how bad it got or didn’t get. I didn’t pay any attention to it.

“But from what I saw, the guys on defense didn’t know where to line up. They didn’t know how to cover. They didn’t know how to do anything. It’s a shame. There is no excuse for that. You can say it’s coaching, and maybe that has something to do with it. But I think it’s the people they have. They just aren’t very good.”

Ditka said he expects a change to come at the top, but said they had to be careful to not think one move would fix things.

“The problem I have with it is you can’t keep replacing the coach every two years,” he said. “And if you think this isn’t a good football team because of the coach, you’re wrong. It has nothing to do with the coaching. Look, they have made some bad picks, made some really bad choices and tied up their money in the wrong people.”

While there are reports that Bears ownership has already made up its mind on coach Marc Trestman, the future of General Manager Phil Emery remains up in the air.

And it sounds like the old coach of Da Bears has plenty of concerns there as well.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

LIONS 20 - BEARS 14 with backup Jimmy Clausen at QB.

If anyone ever thinks the NFL is somehow so freaking great two things:

> Bears receivers dropped a lot of balls and a DB a sure INT. Jeffery didn't seem to like Cutler's benching. His drops alone were game changers/ender.

> officiating seemed to find Bears infractions but how the leg stomp by Raiola didn't lead to an ejection is shocking or the hit to Clausen's head where the guy is lucky he is not in the hospital with a severe concussion or broken neck.

> Off pass INT vs the Bears in the first half was freaking brutal.

Bears need to clean house (players) as they either don't care or this game was fixed.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Helping someone move from one apartment to another so missed all the NFL save for the last half of the Sunday Nighter. It was easy to watch even though AGAIN, it was not a close one. R.Wilson threw quite a few BEAUTIFUL balls to L.Wilson. Lobs actually but RIGHT ON for nice plays. One was a huge 2&20! The other went for a TD! Both were backbreaker type plays. You need a stop and WHAM, big play instead.....

The NFL playoff picture is a little clearer now. Here's a piece that explains it. Eagles are out. Who'd a thunk it a month ago?

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/12/21/nfl-pl ... standings/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russell Wilson is just fun to watch. Did you guys see that last TD run by Wilson in the 4th quarter? (It's in the video in the link below.) It was just so incredible, that Pete Carroll burst out laughing. Seahawks bust it wide open in the 2nd half as Wilson and Beast Mode romp to a 35-6 win in the desert. Not too surprising with Cardinals having to start a 3rd-string quarterback who understandably struggled. Seahawks rack up 596 total yards against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Cardinals manage only 216. Hawks pick up 267 on the ground to 29 for the Cardinals. Nice to see the Canadian kid, Luke Willson, have a huge night, picking up 2 TDs. His phenomenal speed (4.51 in the 40) was apparent on his first TD run, with the safety unable to catch him. He's a rare bird--a big TE with WR speed. I'd love to see the Seahawks go double TEs more often. If the Seahawks can knock off the Rams at home next Sunday, they will, I believe, secure home-field throughout the playoffs (like last year). Here's the recap:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412211 ... e=boxscore
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colts at Cowboys was just embarrassing. What was with the Colts? Stinko. Tony Romo is playing the best football we've seen from him in a long time. The Boys are tough. We might see a Cowboys-Seahawks NFC final. Here's the recap on that disaster:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412210 ... &tab=recap

Broncos at Bengals tomorrow night should be a good game with playoff implications, but who knows?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Yup that Wilson TD run late in the game was INSANE! Cards hung aroud far too long in the game. Game was already OVER, IMO, when he took his one in but fun to watch....