About Pete Carroll ... and other coaches

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -extension

Details supposedly to come at a presser on Friday. Personally I am thrilled he's got himself an extension. I think its great Seattle helped him get his first Superbowl and he helped Seattle WIN its first Superbowl not being played against guys with striped shirts....... :cool:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SEATTLE -- The Seattle Seahawks locked up coach Pete Carroll with a three-year contract extension Friday after he led the franchise to its first Super Bowl title.

The extension runs through the 2016 season. Carroll's original five-year deal, signed with the team in January 2010, was set to expire after next season.

"This was a huge priority for us coming into the off-season," Seattle general manager John Schneider said. "We knew it was around the corner and it was quite honestly we're trying to take care of our own people and keep our young players together but where do you start? You start at the top."

Carroll has proven his attitude and approach can work in the NFL during his third stint as a head coach at the pro level. He's preached competition with his players and it has shown results with the emergence of stars like quarterback Russell Wilson and cornerback Richard Sherman.

Carroll is 38-26 in four regular seasons with Seattle and 5-2 in the playoffs. At age 62, Carroll is the second-oldest head coach in the NFL. He is one of just seven current coaches who have won a Super Bowl title. It was a crowning achievement for Carroll to raise the Lombardi Trophy after struggles in his two previous stints as an NFL head coach with the New York Jets and New England.

"I think it's really exciting, it's really a statement of our commitment and our staying power and opportunity to do something special here," Carroll said.

He came to Seattle because of something he didn't have in his two previous stops as an NFL head coach: control. Seattle gave him the reins to the franchise, and hired him before adding Schneider to the mix, a relationship that has been marked by stability and success.

Carroll lacked control in his previous positions with the Patriots and Jets. But after nearly a decade of winning at Southern California and having that say, it was something Carroll sought if he was going to get back into the professional ranks. The Seahawks were willing.

"I loved my time at USC and I was having the time of my life being part of that wonderful school and all the things that we were doing," Carroll said. "But I knew there was another challenge out there and that was coming to the league."

Seattle also let Carroll imprint his attitude on the locker room. He wanted a fun atmosphere filled with accountability. Competition was at the crux of everything Carroll did from the day he inherited a 5-11 team.

After a pair of 7-9 seasons, the Seahawks surged in 2012 after drafting Wilson. The Seahawks went 11-5 in the regular season and reached the divisional round of the playoffs. The roster turnover Carroll and Schneider started when they arrived had been completed and there were massive expectations going into 2013.

Seattle exceeded them. Carroll guided the Seahawks to 13 wins in the regular season, the NFC West title and home-field advantage in the playoffs. Seattle knocked off New Orleans in the divisional round then edged San Francisco in the NFC title game to reach its second Super Bowl.

At the Super Bowl, Carroll got to celebrate the way he did watching USC's run of dominance in the mid-2000s. Seattle's defence stifled the highest scoring offence in NFL history, humbling Denver in a 43-8 beating to give Seattle its first title.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=448296
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good for Pete Carroll.

Good for Seattle.

He does remind me of Bill Walsh. Positive personalities. Thinkers way outside the box. Focus on performance and building, rather than quick fix wins. The ability to see potential performance from players beyond the ability of other personnel people and teams. Very, very creative.

Fun atmosphere. With accountability. Human touch. But also not quite the buddy or pal to the players. There is that separation. He will cut guys in a flash if they do not fit. He will tolerate a certain amount of rough edges, but within his concept of team.

Richard Sherman better realize that he is not bigger than the team. His antics will only be tolerated to a very limited extent. I expect he understands this.

I greatly admire Carroll's work to make gang culture less attractive and less strong.

Obviously I am a fan of Pete Carroll. :thup:

They are on track to build something that lasts. And that is the greatest challenge.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Good for Pete Carroll.

Good for Seattle.

He does remind me of Bill Walsh. Positive personalities. Thinkers way outside the box. Focus on performance and building, rather than quick fix wins. The ability to see potential performance from players beyond the ability of other personnel people and teams. Very, very creative.

Fun atmosphere. With accountability. Human touch. But also not quite the buddy or pal to the players. There is that separation. He will cut guys in a flash if they do not fit. He will tolerate a certain amount of rough edges, but within his concept of team.

Richard Sherman better realize that he is not bigger than the team. His antics will only be tolerated to a very limited extent. I expect he understands this.

I greatly admire Carroll's work to make gang culture less attractive and less strong.

Obviously I am a fan of Pete Carroll. :thup:

They are on track to build something that lasts. And that is the greatest challenge.
As you say, WCJ, Pete Carroll (and GM John Schneider) are interested in building something that will last for a while. We've seen this play out in free agency, where the Seahawks haven't picked up a single free agent of any note (although there's some chance they will yet from among the few remaining FAs). These guys must be very good judges of future potential because a surprising number of the guys who are now the core of the team came as late-round draft picks. For example, Malcolm Smith, this past Super Bowl MVP, came in Round 7, with the 242nd pick. Richard Sherman came in Round 5, as did their outstanding strong safety, Kam Chancellor, and the list goes on. And they've built depth, thus allowing them to tread lightly in free agency this year and save cap dollars. The 'Hawks have lost a lot of players this off-season, but have retained the core, and it will be interesting to see whether they can come back as strong in 2014. The 12th man may be in for a bit of a letdown this coming year, but the team will remain strong--and a contender--for a number of years to come thanks to Pete Carroll and John Schneider's wisdom in looking for, and successfully finding, undervalued players and not overpaying established guys.

I think you've said this before, but beneath Pete Carroll's laid-back public persona, there seems to be a great judge of talent and a much more detail-oriented guy than people realize. Count me in as a big fan too.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:.................
I think you've said this before, but beneath Pete Carroll's laid-back public persona, there seems to be a great judge of talent and a much more detail-oriented guy than people realize. Count me in as a big fan too.

ME TOO! I liked him long before he took on USC job and thrilled to see how the NFL is working out for him now.......