Are the Seahawks really this big in British Columbia?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/02 ... eport.html

Are the Seahawks so big in B.C. that cops would ticket Rob Ford for jaywalking because he is openly supporting the Broncos? I find that hard to believe.
South Pender
Legend

Ravi wrote:http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/02 ... eport.html

Are the Seahawks so big in B.C. that cops would ticket Rob Ford for jaywalking because he is openly supporting the Broncos? I find that hard to believe.
Of course not. From the article, it appears that it was only Ford who suggested this. They may have given him the ticket because, in addition to jaywalking, he appeared intoxicated (there's some mention of this in the report). Drunken jaywalking would, perhaps, be considered more serious than merely jaywalking!

As to your question about the importance of the Seahawks in BC, I would say that the team has a lot of supporters in the province--mostly, obviously, in the Lower Mainland. I read that 10% of Seahawks season ticket-holders are Canadian, and I know that big convoys of folks from Vancouver bus down to take in Seahawks home games. So they are quite big here. The team is aware of this and have scheduled trips up to the Lower Mainland with popular Seahawks players from time to time (including last summer if I'm remembering correctly).
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:rotf: ITS NEVER FORD's FAULT......but really it is. No, he should not get a ticket for being a Broncos fan but I doubt he did. See you on Satureday Night Live, FORD.....
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

cops should ticket and arrest ford just for being ford. somehow he has just got to be related to bieber.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:cops should ticket and arrest ford just for being ford. somehow he has just got to be related to bieber.
X2
D
Team Captain

I`ve lived here most of my life and only been ticketed twice for jaywalking lol
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

You got to raise an eyebrow or two about a jay walking ticket. Go down to Hastings Street and see how many of them get j-walking tickets and now the speed there is 30 kph. Ridiculous.

Some of the twitter posters are walking back how drunk he was too.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:Some of the twitter posters are walking back how drunk he was too.
True, and it's since been reported that he wasn't charged with drunkenness. I've lived in Vancouver for most of my life and have never received a jay-walking ticket, although I've jay-walked countless times and continue to do so. I've often wondered whether the stretch on 41st Avenue running between Dunbar and Collingwood might be the longest single block in existence! Most of the stores are about midway in that stretch (particularly an IGA), and its a very long walk to either corner. It is rare to be driving that stretch or on the sidewalk and not see at least one person in the process of jay-walking--at all times! I've never seen anyone ticketed. (Of course, having just said that, I'll probably get a ticket the next time I jay-walk there. :wink:)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to answer the original question about the Seahawks stature in B.C., I ran across this article from the Globe & Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e16545017/
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I have lived in Vancouver all of my life too and never had a ticket for jaywalking.

I do think part of this is not a surprise. I used to watch the tv show COPS and they'd catch guys doing things. Later it would turn out they have warrants or there was drugs in the car etc... My point? When you start breaking some laws, you seem to start breaking others. Ford has done all kinds of things that would have gotten others jail terms and/or by-law tickets. For e.g. I saw a video (okay I can't PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt it was Ford) urinating on a public street. So, maybe he got a little heavy handed treatment Friday night. But he's earned that ticket, nonetheless, IMO...........
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:You got to raise an eyebrow or two about a jay walking ticket. Go down to Hastings Street and see how many of them get j-walking tickets and now the speed there is 30 kph. Ridiculous.

I agree having a speed limit of 30 mph is ridiculous. It's Vancouver council decision to implement the lower speed limit because a couple of people were hit by vehicles. Decision was made without consulting the police. The lower speed limit has not deter people from jaywalking. Police don't ticket jaywalkers along Hastings because they can't pay the fines.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Cop stopped me for jaywalking in Kerrisdale once. Crossed in the middle of the block. Several years ago. Let me off with a warning.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:You got to raise an eyebrow or two about a jay walking ticket. Go down to Hastings Street and see how many of them get j-walking tickets and now the speed there is 30 kph. Ridiculous.

I agree having a speed limit of 30 mph is ridiculous. It's Vancouver council decision to implement the lower speed limit because a couple of people were hit by vehicles. Decision was made without consulting the police. The lower speed limit has not deter people from jaywalking. Police don't ticket jaywalkers along Hastings because they can't pay the fines.
So the cops were pretty smart getting their piece of Ford before he couldn't afford to pay the ticket either. I think that notahomer has it pegged, Ford was targeted being a known drug user, they were hoping for a larger catch than they got, but you got to start somewhere.

-------------------------------------

I did hear on the radio that the consensus is that about 5000 BC residents attend any given Seattle game, up to 10,000. That is significant support from here, but I am sure that this has to do more with our hate for the Leafs. :)
Entertainment value = an all time low