SuperBowl XLVIII Broncos vs Seahawks Game Day Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Some other post Superbowl ruminations......

laughed at the aborted coin toss. Namath tossed the coin before Seattle had made the call. Good catch by the Ref. Turns out the coin toss probably wouldn't have mattered. Carroll claims the Broncos ALWAYS take the ball and Carroll always defers. He was expecting to kickoff regardless....
I like the way the Seahawks continued to go for it late. They were well within field goal range but they continued to run the ball. IMO, their point was to NOT RUN up the score. Very happy to just keep that clock rolling and not rub it in anymore than they already had........
Was worried post game about a possible Vancouver-style riot in Seattle. One bozo, set a bonfire (I heard three seperate bonfires actually). Mattresses and couches were set ablaze. Thankfully police got him in custody and seemed to quell the various hotspots (I mean potential 'riots' not fires :wink: ) in Seattle. It would be a real shame to stain a big win by destroying part of you city like some attempted to do here in Vancouver. Crowd mentality is scary though. It gets people to do things they probably wouldn't otherwise. I'm glad people are held accountable regardless.........
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:When was the last time Vancouver held a parade for a Lions Grey Cup win? 1985.
Another meaningless stat.

Is it just me or are victory parades overrated? I kind of like the way we did it in 2011, an evening indoor ceremony where everyone could gather together.

With a parade, you're standing outdoors on the sidewalk — a bit of a risky gambit in these parts in late Nov / early Dec when you're likely to get rained on. And the parade would only take a couple minutes to pass you wherever you've been waiting for perhaps an hour or more. Not to mention it would have to be in the daytime (no one has a parade after dark) on a weekday and the turnout would probably suffer.
Yup, I prefer the indoor confines of BC Place Stadium.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Where were those Seahawk fans in Vancouver ? I was downtown and in Metrotown in the afternoon. Didn't see one Seahawk jersey, hat etc.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Where were those Seahawk fans in Vancouver ? I was downtown and in Metrotown in the afternoon. Didn't see one Seahawk jersey, hat etc.
I meant some fans in Seattle. There were a few hot spots in Seattle were some bozos started to get close to starting a riot.....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

When the Vancouver Whitecaps from the Village of Vancouver beat the NY Cosmos for the NASL championship the parade downtown was like Barcelona winning the European Cup. It was a work day and the crowds were great.

It likely helped that the team was popular and the game was in NY.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:When was the last time Vancouver held a parade for a Lions Grey Cup win? 1985.
Another meaningless stat.

Is it just me or are victory parades overrated? I kind of like the way we did it in 2011, an evening indoor ceremony where everyone could gather together.

With a parade, you're standing outdoors on the sidewalk — a bit of a risky gambit in these parts in late Nov / early Dec when you're likely to get rained on. And the parade would only take a couple minutes to pass you wherever you've been waiting for perhaps an hour or more. Not to mention it would have to be in the daytime (no one has a parade after dark) on a weekday and the turnout would probably suffer.
Parades are doing well now in Vancouver. This past weekend the Lunar New Year one went well. Of course the Santa Claus, St.Patricks Day, and Pride parades are all doing well too. But they are held Sunday afternoons with the intention of getting families out to have a great time.

I used to love the PNE parade but they stopped those decades ago now. They kinda do a mini-parade every day on the fairgrounds as they know its a thing that young-uns love being a part of even if its on the sidelines watching.....

The Victory Parade? I think it works for American Cities but not here, IMO. I loved the evening ceremony that the Lions did. Let families get out. We got a nice seat to relax in.
You have a good point about how cultural parades in Vancouver certainly brings huge crowds and that includes the recent Chinese New Year parade last Sunday in Chinatown.
http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... l?tab=PHOT
By the way, Happy Year of the Horse! :wink:

How about BOTH a parade and a celebration in the stadium? That's the case for most other cities as there's a parade that will end in the stadium where there's a ceremony, and that's the case for tomorrow's parade in Seattle that will cross Downtown Seattle and end in CenturyLink Field.

I mentioned a few times before that city of Toronto is also very cold in late November and early December like all Canadian cities in the Argonauts might be overshadowed by the Blue Jays, Raptors, and Maple Leafs and the Argonauts certainly did not lead the league in attendance. But despite all that after their Grey Cup wins in 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, and most recently 2012 the city still held a huge Grey Cup parade that brought out large crowds.
There's already a lot of rivalry between Vancouver and Toronto. And if Toronto can hold a huge Grey Cup parade that brings out huge crowds, why can't Vancouver also match and rival that with a huge parade of their own when their Lions capture the Grey Cup? :surrender: :sigh:

TheLionKing wrote:Where were those Seahawk fans in Vancouver ? I was downtown and in Metrotown in the afternoon. Didn't see one Seahawk jersey, hat etc.
The Commodore Ballroom.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Seah ... story.html
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
274always
All Star

notahomer wrote:Some other post Superbowl ruminations......

laughed at the aborted coin toss. Namath tossed the coin before Seattle had made the call. Good catch by the Ref. Turns out the coin toss probably wouldn't have mattered. Carroll claims the Broncos ALWAYS take the ball and Carroll always defers. He was expecting to kickoff regardless....
I like the way the Seahawks continued to go for it late. They were well within field goal range but they continued to run the ball. IMO, their point was to NOT RUN up the score. Very happy to just keep that clock rolling and not rub it in anymore than they already had........
Was worried post game about a possible Vancouver-style riot in Seattle. One bozo, set a bonfire (I heard three seperate bonfires actually). Mattresses and couches were set ablaze. Thankfully police got him in custody and seemed to quell the various hotspots (I mean potential 'riots' not fires :wink: ) in Seattle. It would be a real shame to stain a big win by destroying part of you city like some attempted to do here in Vancouver. Crowd mentality is scary though. It gets people to do things they probably wouldn't otherwise. I'm glad people are held accountable regardless.........
Red Hot Chili Peppers unplugged was also a big fail. Seems like everything about this super bowl was fake including the denver offence.

Kudos to Seattle. A city that deserves more championships than it has.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Robbie wrote: I mentioned a few times before that city of Toronto is also very cold in late November and early December like all Canadian cities in the Argonauts might be overshadowed by the Blue Jays, Raptors, and Maple Leafs and the Argonauts certainly did not lead the league in attendance. But despite all that after their Grey Cup wins in 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, and most recently 2012 the city still held a huge Grey Cup parade that brought out large crowds.
There's already a lot of rivalry between Vancouver and Toronto. And if Toronto can hold a huge Grey Cup parade that brings out huge crowds, why can't Vancouver also match and rival that with a huge parade of their own when their Lions capture the Grey Cup? :surrender: :sigh:

Just one thing about that photo: it looks like one of the "secondary" one way streets (note the traffic lights) in Toronto, likely Wellington, Richmond or Adelaide but not a main street like Yonge, University, King, Queen etc. I realise that it was probably only part of the route, but it's comparable to a Vancouver parade going down Howe or Seymour rather than Granville, Burrard or Georgia. Closing off a secondary street instead of a main street shows that they thought it somewhat important but not that important.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

If you want to watch the Manhattan Massacre, also known as Superbowl XLVIII, I think it is being shown tonight @ 6PM on NFL network.
Saw John Fox and Elway being interviewed on lockerroom cleanup day. It really is weird to me but maybe we're just as bad up here in our media coverage. EVERYTHING was Manning, Manning, Manning pre-SuperBowl and now its 'well he's never gonna be the GOAT'. I think what I agree with that is being said again/again, is how the Broncos were OWNED during the Superbowl. I think 'emberassing' is the word. Its not meant as a slight to the effort the Broncos put into getting ready.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... conference

Hmm....I watched this news conference live. The reporter classifies Elway as being FIERY. Didn't seem so, IMO. QUite reasonable. Very tactful.....
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... conference

Hmm....I watched this news conference live. The reporter classifies Elway as being FIERY. Didn't seem so, IMO. QUite reasonable. Very tactful.....
But no tactician. :cool:
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

Yeah...just watched the clip. I didn't see "fiery." Disappointment, for sure; recognition that his team had not been prepared well for the game, acknowledgement that they had played a really good team. In my opinion, all the right comments. I liked John Fox's comments right after the game too. Basically acknowledging that they were outplayed by a very good team. No excuses. In my view, the gracious thing to do after being beaten is to praise the opponent, noting (a) how well they were coached, (b) how charged up the players were, and (c) how well they executed a great game plan.

Nota, when I saw Manning being asked whether it had been an "embarrassing" game, Peyton stiffened and said he thought that it was an insulting question. I didn't quite get that. It's true that it was a little provocative of that reporter to ask that (because, of course, it had to be somewhat embarrassing; but reporters ask obvious--and often really stupid--questions all the time), but I thought Manning could have come up with a less testy response. Still, he had just come from a really bad game and was undoubtedly devastated by the outcome.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Just came back from the parade. No doubt there was so much traffic with a huge crowd of over 700,000 and there were indeed lots of elementary and high school students who took the day off for this event to the chagrin of their teachers who emphasize that schooling is important. Attending such a championship event might be a once in a lifetime opportunity, a typical day in school is too routine and nothing special.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I remember at least my school letting us go to the nancy greene parade. didn't seem to be an issue
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer