SuperBowl XLVIII Broncos vs Seahawks Game Day Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Final statistics for Peyton Manning - 34 completions to set a record for most completions in a Super Bowl game - two more than Tom Brady and Drew Brees with 32 completions in their MVP performance.
But Manning's performance this time was totally negligible.

Appropriately, the MVP was given to someone from the Seahawks defence - Malcolm Smith who returned an interception for a TD to really seal the deal to take control over the game.

Congratulations to the Seahawks and to the city of Seattle. :thup:
And for Seahawks fans, blowout wins are totally fine - as Big Time said: It's easier for the heart. :beer:
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

CTV, all class as usual, cuts away from the postgame and award presentation for a cooking reality show.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WOW!!! I thought after that first half the Broncos would scrape off some rust and at least join the Seahawks in the game....

Thankfully, it did not happen. Peyton just looked like classic PlayoffPeyton. Good but not his usual regular season self. The D-line got him moving. Not much of the late shifting, Omahaing etc... Nope.

Saw the post-game by Coach Fox of the Broncos. Gave the credit where it was due ON THE SEAHAWKS and their D.

Russell Wilson and the No-names were just amazing. That TD by Kearse was just AMAZING! Human pinball but gets to the endzone.

Normally, I like competitive Superbowls. I don't want a game that I think maybe over by the middle of the third quarter. But when its your favourite team its different. If the Raiders ever meet the Seahawks, I'll be really torn but still cheer on the Seahawks. I used to say Raiders with the brain, Seahawks with the heart. Now, Seattle has done all that they can do. You've WON a SUperbowl. Obviously you want MORE but at least you've WON ONE!

Can't wait for the parade. I know the Seattle FANS are going to do their city proud. Maybe another pacific northwest city can win a championship just north of CenturyLink field, this November.

Oh well i guess thats it for pigskin until CFL training camps...... :beer:

Thanks to all the LB'ers who were willing to chat NFL and Seahawks football...
South Pender
Legend

WOW! I'd hoped for a Seahawks win, but by 35 points? I guess there is something to the old saw that "offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships."

Here's a recap I found. I like to look at the stats after a game.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=340202007

With 34 completions of 49 attempts for 279 yards by Manning, you'd have thought it would result in more than 8 points. (Nonetheless, his passer rating in this game was only 73.5; the 2 interceptions took care of that.) However, the total of 27 yards rushing didn't help the Broncos' cause. I thought Russell Wilson played very well. He went 18 of 25 (72%) for 206 yards (a fairly typical day for Wilson), and put up a 123.1 passer rating in this game. I was a little surprised that he wasn't chosen SB MVP. In my view, Wilson has arrived as a star. He's had 100 or better passer ratings in his first two years in the league. I think he will join the elite quarterbacks soon. Troy Aikman mentioned that it ticked him (Aikman) off when he heard Wilson referred to as a good "game manager." Actually, I must admit that I had never heard him referred to that way. Aikman mentioned that no QB who was merely a "game manager" could ever get his team to a Super Bowl or win it. I guess he had forgotten about Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Ravens, where Dilfer (a true "game manager") went 12 of 26 (46%) for 133 yards in their Super Bowl trouncing of the Giants.

But, let's face it; it has been the 'Hawks' defense that has stood out all year, and they did it again today. Again a little surprised the MVP went to Malcolm Smith (not that he wasn't great), but maybe he made more plays than I noticed. (He's only the third linebacker to win this award.) I thought Kam Chancellor and Cliff Avril were just overpowering today, but the whole defense probably deserves the MVP award. Although the "Legion of Boom" gets most of the ink, the Seahawks' linebacking corps is really very, very solid too: K. J. Wright, Bobby Wagner, Bruce Irvin, and now Malcolm Smith. Those guys can certainly run with any tight end, not to mention slot and wide receivers too. I was really surprised at Smith's speed returning that interception. The guy is only 24. He's 6-0, 226 lbs., but (I just looked this up) has 4.44 speed in the 40. That's faster than most wideouts.

The Seahawks were full value (and then some) for this victory. Pete Carroll and John Schneider have built a strong, young (second-youngest team to get to the SB) core of players and, I think, they will only get better. Perhaps that big contract they gave Percy Harvin is all-of-a-sudden looking good! Despite this win, the team has some needs (mainly on the O-line, although I'd like to see a No. 1 receiver replacement for Sidney Rice), and it will be fun to follow developments in the off-season as the 'Hawks try to keep the team together and add a few parts.

So look at it that way, nota. Lot's of interesting football developments ahead before CFL TC. For the NFL, we will soon see interesting trades, then free agency in March, then the draft. Same, for that matter, in the CFL. I plan to stay tuned....
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Final statistics for Peyton Manning - 34 completions to set a record for most completions in a Super Bowl game - two more than Tom Brady and Drew Brees with 32 completions in their MVP performance.
In addition, DeMaryius Thomas also set a meaningless Super Bowl record with 13 receptions - two more than the previous record of 11 by four players.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:Final statistics for Peyton Manning - 34 completions to set a record for most completions in a Super Bowl game - two more than Tom Brady and Drew Brees with 32 completions in their MVP performance.
Meaningless record IMO. The Broncos were trailing badly and Manning had no choice but to throw the football.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Meaningless record IMO. The Broncos were trailing badly and Manning had no choice but to throw the football.
From the opening play of the game for Denver it looked like the game was fixed. Snap over Manning's head - tackling and cover on Def - brutal.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Number 12 proved lucky for Seattle. 12th man, 12 seconds into the game Denver concedes a safety, 12 seconds into the 2nd half, Percy Harvin returns the kickoff for a touchdown.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With the latest example of how statistics don't mean anything, I'm reminded of the 1991 Grey Cup in which Calgary had 28 first downs and 406 yards of total offence compared to Toronto’s 7 first downs and 174 yards of offence. Danny Barrett at QB for Calgary set Grey Cup records with 34 completions in 56 pass attemps for 377 yards and a TD while Matt Dunigan for Toronto only went 12 of 29 passes for 142 yards. But a big key difference was that Barrett also threw 3 interceptions. I guess turnovers is what makes a team win in the end - just like how Winnipeg won the 1988 Grey Cup through turnovers in the second half.

Denver actually had more first downs and more passing yards, but committed so many more turnovers as well and that was the deciding factor.

And compared to the Super Bowl XL at least there was no real criticisms and debate about bad officiating this time. If anything, the Seahawks were penalized much more with 10 for 104 yards compared to Broncos' 5 for 44 yards.

There as a huge Seahawks celebration at the Commodore ballroom and I will be going to the Seahawks celebration parade on Wednesday. When was the last time Vancouver held a parade for a Lions Grey Cup win? 1985.
祝你龍年行大運。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Lots of stats that don't seem to matter much. Peyton has a new record for MOST completions. Thomas had a record for receptions but the BRONCOS looked awful. I heard Aikman saying these things about the records and wondering HOW?

South P. I have heard Wilson referred to as a game manager but its clear he is not. There is a lot of stuff not really being talked about. The BRONCOS SHUT DOWN the Beast. Okay he scored but he was held to under 40 yards rushing. If you had told me that Peyton M would get 34 completions and Lynch would be held to under 40 yards, i woulda said BRONCOS by 35. But Wilson is clearly not the game manager some say he is.

Part of this is coaching too. Carroll has him play this way but he can do it in other ways too. I mean Alex Smith is the same, IMO. Gets tagged as a guy who can't do so much but given a chance in a different system, I bet he does fine. I recall a Smith game this year were he was hitting some mighty tight windows but his recievers were letting the team down.
Wilson is going to continue getting these low passing stats because he's following the game plan and executing well. If they need to goto pass mode, he can do that just fine. Ask Tate, Balwin and Kearse....
Ballistic Bob
Legend

If not for Seattle winning from start to finish this dog rates a Super Bore
Wear orange or wear nothing
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:If not for Seattle winning from start to finish this dog rates a Super Bore
If I was not a major Seahawk fan, I would rate it as such too! It reminded me of the Bombers/Lions game in Winterpeg this year. It started out with a Bighill fumble return for a TD and went downhill for the Bombers from there.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

notahomer wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:If not for Seattle winning from start to finish this dog rates a Super Bore
If I was not a major Seahawk fan, I would rate it as such too! It reminded me of the Bombers/Lions game in Winterpeg this year. It started out with a Bighill fumble return for a TD and went downhill for the Bombers from there.
It aslo reminded me of last years GC. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:When was the last time Vancouver held a parade for a Lions Grey Cup win? 1985.
Another meaningless stat.

Is it just me or are victory parades overrated? I kind of like the way we did it in 2011, an evening indoor ceremony where everyone could gather together.

With a parade, you're standing outdoors on the sidewalk — a bit of a risky gambit in these parts in late Nov / early Dec when you're likely to get rained on. And the parade would only take a couple minutes to pass you wherever you've been waiting for perhaps an hour or more. Not to mention it would have to be in the daytime (no one has a parade after dark) on a weekday and the turnout would probably suffer.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:When was the last time Vancouver held a parade for a Lions Grey Cup win? 1985.
Another meaningless stat.

Is it just me or are victory parades overrated? I kind of like the way we did it in 2011, an evening indoor ceremony where everyone could gather together.

With a parade, you're standing outdoors on the sidewalk — a bit of a risky gambit in these parts in late Nov / early Dec when you're likely to get rained on. And the parade would only take a couple minutes to pass you wherever you've been waiting for perhaps an hour or more. Not to mention it would have to be in the daytime (no one has a parade after dark) on a weekday and the turnout would probably suffer.
Parades are doing well now in Vancouver. This past weekend the Lunar New Year one went well. Of course the Santa Claus, St.Patricks Day, and Pride parades are all doing well too. But they are held Sunday afternoons with the intention of getting families out to have a great time.

I used to love the PNE parade but they stopped those decades ago now. They kinda do a mini-parade every day on the fairgrounds as they know its a thing that young-uns love being a part of even if its on the sidelines watching.....

The Victory Parade? I think it works for American Cities but not here, IMO. I loved the evening ceremony that the Lions did. Let families get out. We got a nice seat to relax in.

It will be interesting to see how their parade turns out. Its kinda funny. I know one person who is going down to the parade. I'm bugging him because he's a classic bandwagoner. Never heard him talk about the Seahawks. Suddenly in the past month he's got himself a Wilson jersey and he wants to see the parade.
Manning got his back up when one reported framed the loss as 'emberrassing'. Manning made it clear he was offended but really its semantics. Manning admitted it was disappointing. AND, he'd better go chew out Wes Welker and Champ Bailey because they both chose the word 'emberassing' when describing the Broncos performance.