SuperBowl XLVIII Broncos vs Seahawks Game Day Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:......Nota, when I saw Manning being asked whether it had been an "embarrassing" game, Peyton stiffened and said he thought that it was an insulting question. I didn't quite get that. It's true that it was a little provocative of that reporter to ask that (because, of course, it had to be somewhat embarrassing; but reporters ask obvious--and often really stupid--questions all the time), but I thought Manning could have come up with a less testy response. Still, he had just come from a really bad game and was undoubtedly devastated by the outcome.
I think part of the problem too is Manning probably does get a lot of 'sucking up to'. What am I trying to say? Hmm, what I mean is the "your great, your offence is #1, there are no other QB's like you etc..." and when he stumbles in the playoffs its completely ridiculous the other way "you can't win in the playoffs, you are not like Brady etc..". So when a reporter asks him are you emberassed by the outcome, he looks at the effort he/his team/his coaches put in and feels insulted. But from an outcome perspective, he should be emberassed. We had to listen to weeks of Peyton this, Broncos offence #1 that, GOAT if he can win this etc... and then they STUNK. They were OWNED, IMO. So, Bailey and Welker are bang on when they use the word emberassed. I don't doubt all three are devastated. It is supposed to be really tough getting over a Superbowl loss.......
Robbie
Hall of Famer

This will definitely be the first time I've ever posted such a trophy picture presented in such a manner - and I will post not one but two. These are unusual pictures indeed because I've never seen such pictures before.

I mentioned before that the Vince Lombardi trophy is for keeps to the winning team. Yesterday at the parade the Seahawks displayed their Vince Lombardi trophy, obviously, but they didn't show off their NFC George Halas trophy as well. I wonder if the Seahawks win another trophy, whether they will display the first trophy in such ceremonies as well. I posted a similar picture before about how that was the case after Super Bowl XXXIX won by the New England Patriots. Boston held a parade and the Patriots decided to display their previous two trophies as well:

After Super Bowl XLVI won by the Giants the city of New York held a parade and ceremony as well and they displayed both their recent Vince Lombardi AND George Halas trophies as well.
And for the first time ever, a person is holding BOTH the championship AND the semi-final championship trophies at the same time:

Dan DePalma

Justin Tuck

Can you imagine that happening in other leagues?

One time, C4L mentioned how the Vince Lombardi trophy is the only pro sports trophy in which you can hold with one hand, but I refuted that as I showed other pictures showing individuals holding up the Grey Cup with one hand.

Who will be the first to hold both the Grey Cup and the CFL Division Championship trophy at the same time?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I love some of the stories about the Vince Lombardi trophy. For e.g. its nicknamed 'Tiffany' due to the name of the original maker of the trophy. Mike Tomlin and Sean Payton both claimed to have slept with Tiffany the night their teams won the trophy so I wonder what their wives said :wink:

Regular season division titles and playoff division titles ARE something a team strives for and has a right to be PROUD of. However, the bottom line is winning the Grey Cup. So, I think it will be awhile before someone cares enough to hold both trophies as the one obviously means so much more than the other.... Just my opinion. Believe you me, I've been very proud to watch the Lions get a division title trophy for winning the West Final. At that moment I'm happy but its soon not that important as the big one is to come soon thereafter.....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I didn't know guitar legend Jimi Hendrix had a younger sister (much younger, she would have been about 9 when he died in 1970 and about 53 today acc to her comments here), but being that he and his family are from Seattle it's not too surprising she became a Seahawks fan. The time stamp is from the hours of the pregame runup but from their comments near the end it seems the interview was done before SB Sunday, perhaps Fri or Sat.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2014/02/02/j ... x-football
Janie Hendrix chats Seahawks, brother's legacy
By Makenzie Bowker
updated 4:21 PM EST, Sun February 02, 2014

• Jimi Hendrix's sister Janie is a diehard Seattle Seahawks fan
• She chatted with HLN's Mike Galanos about her love for football, memories of her brother
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Two NFL shows I can only watch at times are TOP TEN and Sound FX.

Top Ten is one where they take a topic (Superbowls or Teams to never win a Superbowl) and rate them 10-1. There is usually some disagreement from pundits weighing in. Saw one episode this week where Steve Largent was #3 greatest player of all time to never play in a Superbowl (Barry Sanders was #1). It felt so good in the commentary when the guy said, "Well the Seattle Seahawks are considered one of the weak sisters of the NFL so its no surprise that our #3 never got a shot to play in the big one"....Well that episode is now forever out of date.

SoundFX is another show I can give/take depending on the game. One I caught today was the sounds of the game from Superbowl XLVIII So much cool stuff in there, IMO. Champ Bailey and another Bronco chatting who would probably get the MVP. Bailey hoped it would go to a defensive player like Smith (he mentioned him by name). Baldwin was really nasty at times with what he was saying and he made a plea for the car (his words, I know it was a truck). Baldwin really spouted off to Cris Carter too about winning a Superbowl. He has since continued those comments in interviews and on twitter.

The classy thing was Peyton Manning. At the end of the game he sure made the rounds looking for guys and saying "Congratulations".

The other cool thing about this SoundFX episode is watching Russell Wilson carefully setting up Carroll for the traditional Gatorade shower. THey dumped some of the jug out before hand because it was too heavy. And then they carefully manouevered their way, carrying the jug and then were able to dump it on the Coach. Seen it a hundred times before with other Coaches. I even remember seeing them do it during the Superbowl game. But hearing what they were saying and setting it up and the manouevering through the people on the sidelines to drench their coach was cool to watch.......
South Pender
Legend

As has been so often the case over the years, the Super Bowl wasn't the real NFL championship game this year. The NFC Final in Seattle was. In my view, the 49ers would also have taken care of the Broncos.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Perused the lineup for the replay day on NFL network........

IIRC, the Superbowl is in there, not sure why. It was fun to watch as a Seahawk fan but not as a football fan. Said the same thing about the Lions last Grey Cup win too, fun as a fan but football wise, so-so.

The NFC Championship, AFC Championship are some of the other games chosen for NFL networks, replay Sunday.
South Pender
Legend

Thanks for that info, nota. Are the games being shown in full?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Thanks for that info, nota. Are the games being shown in full?
There are a couple (AFC/NFC Championships). But most are varying lengths. Some are only an hour.......

Heavy dose of Cowboys/Denver/New England, IMO
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Okay, it didn't really have much to do with the game but here is a link to some Tim Tebow Superbowl ADVERTS. Superbowl AD's are often funny, I like how Tebow is willing to make fun of himself but then again, I'm sure he got paid well........

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1946 ... ntract-ads

(they should get hold of Luongo, he'd certainly get a lot of Canuck fans laughing with a 'CONTRACTS SUCK' ad, IMO.... but the company doesn't compete in the Vancouver market, I believe)