I know its NFL, but it still deserves its own thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

anybody else watching the pro bowl draft. I am enjoying the show.

replace alex smith with peyton manning and it would be my top fav present day NFL QBs.

best thing about it, no Eli.

the game itself will probably be anti climatic, but that's okay, there is always the SB :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I missed all the draft stuff yesterday....

I caught the first three rounds or so of the draft tonight but I had to whip over to the office to do some paperwork. I didn't realize the Browns had that many proBowlers but Rice seems to like em....

Lots of fluff and bluster, IMO. But its good entertainment. I have to call myself out for being two-faced here. I LOVED the idea of switching the ProBowl to the week IN-BETWEEN championships/Superbowl from being the week AFTER. Now, especially with this draft concept, I'd like to see the Superbowl teams included too, if they want. I mean the ProBowl as a game is always going to really mean NOTHING except one last opportunity to watch the stars before they go away for six months...

I will be checking the final draft results and probably taking in the game itself Sunday....AND, I do hope Prime and Jerry back up their chatter and lace em up one last time....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Looking back I would give this event a :thup: FOR THE FANS......

I hope that is made clear to the players. Lots of neat quirks, like the LAST TWO players taken had to be QB's. Actually, one QB was chosen (Nick Foles)and the other assigned (Alex Smith). I didn't like the fact the announcer tried to hang the 'Mr. Irrelevant' tag on Smith, because he was the last person taken in the draft. Smith should have even been there (or Foles, IIRC). Manning/Wilson were ProBowlers, IIRC, who had their spots taken since they are obviously busy with Superbowl prep.

I'm gonna watch the ProBowl Sunday. I have always enjoyed it the same way I enjoy RollerDerby or other things. I'm not putting down the effort and skill required but ITS NOT FOOTBALL but a hybrid version that can be quite entertaining to watch.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Looking back I would give this event a :thup: FOR THE FANS......

I hope that is made clear to the players. Lots of neat quirks, like the LAST TWO players taken had to be QB's. Actually, one QB was chosen (Nick Foles)and the other assigned (Alex Smith). I didn't like the fact the announcer tried to hang the 'Mr. Irrelevant' tag on Smith, because he was the last person taken in the draft. Smith should have even been there (or Foles, IIRC). Manning/Wilson were ProBowlers, IIRC, who had their spots taken since they are obviously busy with Superbowl prep.

I'm gonna watch the ProBowl Sunday. I have always enjoyed it the same way I enjoy RollerDerby or other things. I'm not putting down the effort and skill required but ITS NOT FOOTBALL but a hybrid version that can be quite entertaining to watch.
from what I heard, its going to be a little more real than it has been. defense gets a little more room to play and the players are playing for more pride.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I missed the ProBowl so I can't say how things turned out. SOunded like there were a TON of Tweaks.

For example, every QUARTER was supposed to have a '2 minute warning'. If a team failed to gain a yard on offence in the two minute warning the clock would stop. Bump/Run coverages were allowed. There were NO KICKOFFS, offences scrimmaged at the 25 yard line.

Okay, I lied a little bit. I caught the last 3 minutes of the ProBowl. Smith led TeamRice to score a TD and they went/converted a 2 point conversion. I don't know if that had anything to do with the rules etc... I did wonder, what would have happened if there had been no conversion. How can an onside kick happen if there are no kickoffs?

I've read books/articles that trot out the stats on some sacred football cows. For eg many coaches at younger levels of football DO NOT PUNT, EVER! There just seem to be some things like onside kicks etc.... that really could change and remove some of the more exciting parts of a football game. And just using things like "WELL inside of the two minute warning (three in CFL) this can happen" just wouldn't work, IMO. I get that for this ALLSTar game you want to help with Player safety so you removed the kickoffs. FINE, no problem. But its part of the game as far as NON-ProBOwl games go, IMO....

And, yes I was happy that TeamRice beat TeamSanders. The players on the teams themselves? I cheered (iin the three minutes I caught) for both sides. I like FOles, who lost and ended up leaving a timeout on the board. Poor time managment, IMO. Its not that I hate Sanders, its just that I prefer Rice's team to winning over Sanders. I must admit part of its Sanders personality and I think part of it was his philosophy which may have made sense ON PAPER. Go YOUNG. If you are more than four seasons into the NFL, WE DON"T WANT YOU (Sanders words). Well there were some grizzled vets who did just fine, thankyou very much. Nice to see Tony G. have one last game. He went 3 catches for over fifty yards, IIRC. AND, IIRC, Foles won the offensive MVP of the game which is cool considering his team lost......?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I think foles got it because he was the only QB not to throw an int. I also think he did not fumble or get sacked. His pass pct was 70 but he only threw 10. Brees and Smith sucked today.

I actually thought that Josh Gordon was going to be OMVP.
South Pender
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:I actually thought that Josh Gordon was going to be OMVP.
Didn't see the game, but Josh Gordon is exactly the kind of guy that I'd like to see the Seahawks pick up in the off-season--a missing piece of their offensive puzzle. He's 6-4, 230 lbs., and has 4.5 speed in the 40. A true No. 1 receiver. Bit of a bad boy, though.