Canadian Olympic Hockey Team

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440552

Two Canucks made the roster: Roberto Luongo and Dan Hamhius
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440552

Two Canucks made the roster: Roberto Luongo and Dan Hamhius
Nice to see some BC boys on the roster.

Hamhuis

Weber

Keith, born in Winnipeg, played as a youth in Penticton

Benn

Price

Any more?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
D
Team Captain

I can't get my head around the Czech team selecting Peter Nedved. First off I can't believe he's still playing and second I can't believe they don't have any better players than him. The guy was soft in his prime I doubt he has gotten any better with age :hypno:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

D wrote:I can't get my head around the Czech team selecting Peter Nedved. First off I can't believe he's still playing and second I can't believe they don't have any better players than him. The guy was soft in his prime I doubt he has gotten any better with age :hypno:
I'm surprised too. Is that the best they can come up with ? Will Dominic Hasek be in goal
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
D wrote:I can't get my head around the Czech team selecting Peter Nedved. First off I can't believe he's still playing and second I can't believe they don't have any better players than him. The guy was soft in his prime I doubt he has gotten any better with age :hypno:
I'm surprised too. Is that the best they can come up with ? Will Dominic Hasek be in goal
They pulled a similar move in 1998 by recruiting Vladimir Ruzicka who, like Nedved, had been out of the NHL for several seasons but had continued playing in Europe ever since — and went on to win gold, not that he was a large factor — but even he was only 34 at the time. Nedved turned 42 almost a month ago. FWIW, Selanne at 43 is about a year and half older than Nedved and will play for Finland.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I like James Duthie but after the announcement he had Steve Y. on and he opened with questions about those who didn't make it. While that is the great Canadian argument, it was not the right way to approach it.

I wonder though if their criteria aren't over analyzing things as they made it clear it is not an all star team but a team based on getting players to quickly come together and be able to play together. We shall see. Lots of good players didn't and couldn't make it.

Steve Y was bending over backwards to not get into a Brian Burke situation where it comes out that you said something not flattering about a player.

It should be a good team but at times Canadians forget the other teams are good too.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

One more from B.C. ... Steve Yzerman :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Too much talk about the number of representatives from BC. Who cares ? It is Team Canada not team BC, Ontario, Quebec etc.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:One more from B.C. ... Steve Yzerman :thup:
TheLionKing wrote:Too much talk about the number of representatives from BC. Who cares ? It is Team Canada not team BC, Ontario, Quebec etc.
Then ignore the talk, because it is not going to go away.

From the point of view of a B.C. born fan of hockey ...

For years, B.C. had little or no representation in NHL hockey at all. With the arrival of the Canucks (and whatever other developments helped) hockey started to grow in B.C. Now we have a great number of players in many leagues. It is nice for older fans such as myself to see such a good representation by our province. As a kid it was about watching the Maple Leafs and the Canadiens on TV. Not anymore.

I also take pride in the Olympic victory by Canada, by our entire group in many sports, in 2010, right here in Vancouver. I am Canadian. I am B.C. born. I grew up in Vancouver. And proud of it. And feeling grateful.

And this holds true also regarding locally developed MLB baseball players.

I have been in 8 of our 10 provinces. But B.C. is my home, where I was born, where I grew up. I follow the careers of local athletes. Nancy Greene. Harry Jerome. Carol Hyunh. Teams from history such as the Vancouver Millionaires. Trail Smoke Eaters. New Westminster Bruins. Vancouver Giants. B.C. Lions. Vancouver Whitecaps. On and on the list goes ...

I happen to be very proud of my province. My province? Just beacause I was lucky enough to be born here. But I definitely chose to stay and live here. I coached different sports in B.C. for over 25 years and was always happy to see athletes move on and do well. And this is not just about sports. But about lifestyle, clean water, fresh air, natural resources. Along with the freedoms granted by our country.

Some pride in B.C.? Dayum right.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Too much talk about the number of representatives from BC. Who cares ? It is Team Canada not team BC, Ontario, Quebec etc.
I think it is an important stat as to the health of the game in each province.

When I look at soccer and our mens' national team and the BC rep there (err lack thereof) whereas as one point it was just Ont. BC and Que, it makes you question what your province is doing.

I think it's good to note where Olympians are from (rather than their NHL teams alone).

What I find astounding about the NHL is how all these GM's and coaches and players come together for national efforts yet on the ice go out and maim and injure. Granted the guys on this team are not the goons but their team mates certainly are and some in years past have been goons.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:

For years, B.C. had little or no representation in NHL hockey at all. With the arrival of the Canucks (and whatever other developments helped) hockey started to grow in B.C. Now we have a great number of players in many leagues. It is nice for older fans such as myself to see such a good representation by our province. As a kid it was about watching the Maple Leafs and the Canadiens on TV. Not anymore.

I also take pride in the Olympic victory by Canada, by our entire group in many sports, in 2010, right here in Vancouver. I am Canadian. I am B.C. born. I grew up in Vancouver. And proud of it. And feeling grateful.

I have been in 8 of our 10 provinces. But B.C. is my home, where I was born, where I grew up. I follow the careers of local athletes. Nancy Greene. Harry Jerome. Carol Hyunh. Teams from history such as the Vancouver Millionaires. Trail Smoke Eaters. New Westminster Bruins. Vancouver Giants. B.C. Lions. Vancouver Whitecaps. On and on the list goes ...

I happen to be very proud of my province. My province? Just beacause I was lucky enough to be born here. But I definitely chose to stay and live here. I coached different sports in B.C. for over 25 years and was always happy to see athletes move on and do well. And this is not just about sports. But about lifestyle, clean water, fresh air, natural resources. Along with the freedoms granted by our country.

I too was born in Vancouver, live in Vancouver and have travelled across Canada. I am a proud Vancouverite, British Columbian but more importantly a proud Canadian first and foremost. I frankly don't care about the where the players are born as long as they win Gold. I'm sure Steve Yzerman and his management team didn't consider geographical locations as a criteria on which players make Team Canada. Like a lot of people I was discussing the makeup of Team Canada with my friends this morning over coffee. We had our disagreements as to who should or should not be on the team. Not once did the subject of place of birth came up in the discussion.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

I too was born in Vancouver, live in Vancouver and have travelled across Canada. I am a proud Vancouverite, British Columbian but more importantly a proud Canadian first and foremost. I frankly don't care about the where the players are born as long as they win Gold. I'm sure Steve Yzerman and his management team didn't consider geographical locations as a criteria on which players make Team Canada. Like a lot of people I was discussing the makeup of Team Canada with my friends this morning over coffee. We had our disagreements as to who should or should not be on the team. Not once did the subject of place of birth came up in the discussion.
Not one mention of place of birth or of British Columbia. Good for you. No comment whatsoever about any players from B.C. making the team. No mention of Smithers' Dan Hamhuis being from B.C. No mention of Sicamous' Shea Weber being from B.C. No mention of Jamie Benn being from Victoria, B.C. No Anahim Lake or B.C. for Carey Price. No Duncan Keith, born in Winnipeg, playing as a youth in Summerland or Penticton. No B.C. mention for any of them.

And when a local fan of sports, myself, took some pride in local representation, you challenged it. So I defended my position.

We are proud of our country.

We are proud of our province.

As I said, I coached sports in B.C. for over 25 years. I have watched local athletes compete for decades. I take some pride in B.C. athletes. Canadian athletes as well? Of course.

It is not just about provinces either. Many fans note how many players from their favourite teams, as with the Canucks, make various Olympic rosters.

And I am not alone in speaking out about our B.C. athletes. Note the media.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

I don't often find myself not in agreement with you TLK but on this one I see this a bit differently. I realize that your original post on this was NOT an indictment of those of us who are counting our province's contribution but to make your point that it is a Canadian team and will unite fully under the national flag.

I suspect they didn't have provincial representation high on the list in the public domain but it is well known that you must have representation on a national team from as many provinces as you can. Certainly no one would dare to snub Quebec. Having said that either by not having any native French speaker on the team or players from Montreal. I am sure that Hockey Canada would have had a fit if no one was on the team from PQ.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=1131