Canadian Juniors

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Finland takes the lead on a weird bounce
And adds another on a PP. 2-0 Finland.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Uphill struggle. Too many turnovers
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Back in the game 2-1 but Finland going on the power play
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Back in the game 2-1 but Finland going on the power play
And scores again moments after that incredible save from Fucale. 3-1 Finland.

First time in the tournament we've allowed three goals in one period.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Back in the game 2-1 but Finland going on the power play
And scores again moments after that incredible save from Fucale. 3-1 Finland.

First time in the tournament we've allowed three goals in one period.
Bad luck on the first one, but Canada better realize that the penalty box better only contain white jersey's in it for the third period. Fucale's brilliant save was ruined with that 3rd goal getting behind him shortly afterwards... Canada is going to have to get the initial shot/pass from the defense to get past the Finnish forward, way too many are getting stopped, killing any momentum Canada tries to establish.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

4-1 Finland on a penalty shot. Looks like we'll be facing Russia in the BMG.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canada power play totally inept. Too many passes on the peripheral. Low percentage shots. No driving to the net. With the exception of one game, Canada has allowed the 1st goal. I will be surprised if they bring home a medal.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Canada power play totally inept. Too many passes on the peripheral. Low percentage shots. No driving to the net. With the exception of one game, Canada has allowed the 1st goal. I will be surprised if they bring home a medal.
Russia will have the desire to make some payback from last years loss in the bronze medal game, plus they are just better staying on the puck than Canada. The hope is that they get individual, which constitutes Canada getting the first goal or two.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I don't think Canada will get the bronze tomorrow unless they play disciplined hockey.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I don't think Canada will get the bronze tomorrow unless they play disciplined hockey.
They didn't. I slept in and caught the 3rd period and as Ferraro said this was a different team than the one who lost to Finland - a game I did see. But they didn't get the result despite the Russians getting called 3 times for too many men on the ice.

It sure seemed that Canada didn't play everyone and therein relying in too few guys and not an entire team - for me - is a problem. I know Sutter is a great junior tourney coach based on his fine record but at that level I cannot see how Canada does not have enough talent to play 4 lines and run teams out of the building with lesser numbers of quality players with fast rotations and high tempo hockey. Lots of attacks players standing still or not up on the attack at all as they were heading off.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Fortunately I didn't get up early to watch the no show. Where was Bo Hovat Canucks 1st round pick in this tournament ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Saw bits and pieces here and there of the games.

Never thought Canada looked dominant.

Sluggish against the Swedes. Panicky against the Finns. Best game vs the Americans, who didn't make the semis.

Oh woe. We are no longer dominant in junior hockey. What is a good pill for depression? j/k ... LOL

Thankfully, as I age, losses in games played by favoured teams bother me less and less.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Entertaining Gold Medal game. Finland won 3-2 over the host Sweden. Sweden was one of the odds on favourite to win the tournament.