NFL salutes Vancouver high school football coach

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

This article is a little stale (month old) but thought I'd share it anyway since it seems not to have been mentioned here so far.

NFL salutes Vancouver coach

Excerpt:
Among the people who know him best, Doug Pauls’ vocation is something of an open-ended question.

He runs a dentistry clinic with his brother in Kerrisdale, but his passion is football. Even the NFL has noticed.

Last week, Pauls, 51, was among 10 finalists nominated as the 2013 NFL Youth Coach of the Year. The winner will be announced Thursday [November 14].
As it turns out the winning coach was from Halifax but even being a finalist for the award is praiseworthy.

This article raises for me a question: since the NFL has a program to recognise community-level coaches in Canada, does the CFL have something similar? I know there's the Orange Helmet Awards, but this is a Lions initiative with only provincial jurisdiction.

Speaking of the OHAs, Doug Pauls was also an award recipient at the most recent instalment of this event:

http://bclions.com/article/lions-announ ... rd-winners
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:This article is a little stale (month old) but thought I'd share it anyway since it seems not to have been mentioned here so far.

NFL salutes Vancouver coach

Excerpt:
Among the people who know him best, Doug Pauls’ vocation is something of an open-ended question.

He runs a dentistry clinic with his brother in Kerrisdale, but his passion is football. Even the NFL has noticed.

Last week, Pauls, 51, was among 10 finalists nominated as the 2013 NFL Youth Coach of the Year. The winner will be announced Thursday [November 14].
As it turns out the winning coach was from Halifax but even being a finalist for the award is praiseworthy.

This article raises for me a question: since the NFL has a program to recognise community-level coaches in Canada, does the CFL have something similar? I know there's the Orange Helmet Awards, but this is a Lions initiative with only provincial jurisdiction.

Speaking of the OHAs, Doug Pauls was also an award recipient at the most recent instalment of this event:

http://bclions.com/article/lions-announ ... rd-winners
That's just really impressive. Thank goodness for self-sacrificing guys like Doug Pauls. Nice story; thanks, sj-roc, for posting this.