The Heritage Classic

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

I just saw on the news today that the Canucks will play Ottawa at B.C. Place in March. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around why playing a hockey game in a football stadium, especially if the roof is closed, is such a big deal. The report I saw on the news made it sound like fans are really being gouged on this "event" as well. The sightlines for watching hockey there can't be anywhere near as good as watching it in the Canucks' home arena, can it? This sort of thing works better if there is a chance of snow and classic wintry weather that you see elsewhere in Canada and the northern U.S. but the kind of weather that you would get in Vancouver in March doesn't really seem to fit, does it?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I heard one of those news blips. You know, coming up later, 'How you could get gouged going to watch the Canucks in BC Place'. But I had to go out so I missed the story. Something like you have to pay $35 just to buy a ticket or something? I have a copy of the Vancouver Sun to leaf through later, I'm sure there will be a story in there......

No way, I'm going. Tickets would have to be good. I hope everyone who does go has a blast. I would rather go to a game back east where the 'outdoors' thing means a bit more. I mean if its POURING RAIN, does our 'outdoor classic' go roofless? Guess we'll see......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not overly excited at this event. More money into the pockets of the Aquilinis
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

P.T. Barnum's estimate was rather low.
Spud387
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Not overly excited at this event. More money into the pockets of the Aquilinis
That's all this this. He used Vancouver high profile to say "its not fair we don;t get one of these large events" and volla. Game is in March, means guaranteed chance of rain, and because of how the roof works, it has to be closed on chance of rain.
Ravi
Legend

As ridiculous as an outdoor game in Vancouver in March is, I cannot understand the point of a game at Dodger Stadium. Yeah, there is a great history of playing hockey outdoors in southern California. :sigh:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

All about $$$$$$$
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:As ridiculous as an outdoor game in Vancouver in March is, I cannot understand the point of a game at Dodger Stadium. Yeah, there is a great history of playing hockey outdoors in southern California. :sigh:
X2----just because you can doesn't mean you SHOULD, IMO....