2013-14 College Ball

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

I am NOT a big follower of the American college game but I do try to catch a lot of Bowl games come holiday season.

I started this thread because of the ending of a game I saw between Auburn and Alabama. Alabama was having trouble kicking field goals. Auburn scored a late TD on an amazing triple option play. The QB looked beyond the point of no return but was clearly behind the LOS, and tossed a fluttering duck ten yards downfield to a wide open reciever who waltzed in for the TD.

Then on what might have been the last play before overtime, a reciever managed to get out of bounds as the all-zeros hit on the clock. 'Bama Head Coach Saban lobbied hard and via instant replay got one second put back on the clock. Saban sent in his field goal team and tried a 57 yarder which came up a few yards short. The man in the back of the endzone took it all the way back for a TD. AMAZING! purrfect example of the back/forth that can be part of football. You think you've lobbied your way into a chance to seal it with a long field goal and instead your team makes little effort covering and watches the winning TD get scored on you, ending your chance for the national championship......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Unbelievable finish !
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:I am NOT a big follower of the American college game but I do try to catch a lot of Bowl games come holiday season.

I started this thread because of the ending of a game I saw between Auburn and Alabama. Alabama was having trouble kicking field goals. Auburn scored a late TD on an amazing triple option play. The QB looked beyond the point of no return but was clearly behind the LOS, and tossed a fluttering duck ten yards downfield to a wide open reciever who waltzed in for the TD.

Then on what might have been the last play before overtime, a reciever managed to get out of bounds as the all-zeros hit on the clock. 'Bama Head Coach Saban lobbied hard and via instant replay got one second put back on the clock. Saban sent in his field goal team and tried a 57 yarder which came up a few yards short. The man in the back of the endzone took it all the way back for a TD. AMAZING! purrfect example of the back/forth that can be part of football. You think you've lobbied your way into a chance to seal it with a long field goal and instead your team makes little effort covering and watches the winning TD get scored on you, ending your chance for the national championship......
Jeez, did that happen? 'Bama lost? God, there'll be wailing, moaning, hair-pulling, suicide in Tuscaloosa. I've got to start catching up on the battle for the National Championship. Is Oregon still in the picture?

Edit: I was able to pick that up on an online sports site, nota, and, as you say, it was astounding. I think the problem for 'Bama was that they had pretty much all offensive linemen on to block for the kick, and these big guys just couldn't catch Chris Davis the speedy returner. In the piece that I caught, the announcer said something like "Bama doesn't have any athletes on the field"! And at another point said, "just fat guys out there"! That will all go down really well with all the offensive linemen out there! We've seen that a few times in the CFL too--always a tough decision for a coach about sending out the FG kicker for a really long one with a dangerous returner standing in the end zone. I took a look at the BCS standings, and it looks as if Oregon is way out of it now at 9-2. I can recall them being near the top at one point in the season.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I have to admit, I was just lucky to catch the last 10 minutes or so of this football game. Just another one of those examples where sports (football in particular, IMO, but I'm biased :wink: ) where truth is stranger than fiction.......

I feel lucky to have caught this. It was kinda like like super long overtime game between the Capitals/Islanders. I missed most of the game, was frustrated. Turned on a game figuring I'd get to see a little hockey but little did I know I'd be watching overtime period after overtime period.....
South Pender
Legend

There's been speculation that Nick Saban might be planning to leave 'Bama after his 3rd National Championship for another Tier 1 college program (I think Texas was mentioned). I don't think--given the BCS process--that Bama can now compete for the National Championship (although I could be wrong about that), since their rank will drop a fair amount after this loss to Auburn. So it will be interesting to see whether and how this loss will effect Saban's plans going forward. Stay in Bama and avenge this loss next year or move on?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This has been my worst year for BOWL games. I usually am catching AT LEAST one bowl game per day, especially in the spot between Christmas and New Years but I HAVE NOT CAUGHT ONE BOWL GAME YET.

I'm going to try and catch the the BCS Championship game Monday.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Watched the 4th quarter of the Alabama and Oklahoma game. Frustrating to watch the last 4 minutes of the game. Too many time outs and time wasted on the line of scrimmage calling plays.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Very exciting Orange Bowl tonight between Ohio State and Clemson. Ohio quarterback Braxton Miller was a warrior. Obviously injured and getting pounded by the defensive line all game but kept getting up. Reminded me of Dave Dickenson playing with a separated shoulder and getting pounded by the Lions Herman Smith and Buck Pierce against the Riders couple of seasons back.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well, don't even know whose playing but I'm gonna take in tonights BCS National CHampionship game........
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Glad I tuned in. The #1 ranked Florida State Seminoles defeated the #2 ranked Auburn Tigers in what will be the LAST BCS championship. SHows you how close I have followed NCAA football this season. I'll have to check out what is happening instead. Going back to the two polls where there could be different champions?

Anyway the game itself was a fun one to watch, IMO. The last 6 minutes or so were outstanding. FS drives and scores a TD but a taunting penalty takes them out of trying a two point conversion to tie the game so they kick the single to trail by one. Auburn drives and kicks a field goal to take a four point lead. FS takes the kickoff for a touchdown! Game over, right? Well Auburn slowly/surely drove the field to score again too with just over a minute left to again have a four point lead. FS drives again and scores with 13 seconds left. Great game.

Interesting how Auburn runs its offence. Strange huddles close to the line of scrimmage and running a real uptempo offence. FS star D-line man had to take MUCH of the fourth quarter off as he was just GASSED. When he was off the field, the run game OPENED UP for Auburn.

Going to have to figure out whats going on with the BCS. Definately going to try to take in more BOWL games next year. I only caught one but it was a good game, IMO. Weird really. Both games I caught this year involving NCAA football involved the Auburn Tigers, one ending in a miracle win, the other a backforth battle ending in them losing.......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Okay, they are going to a playoff system. Makes sense I guess. Lots of the traditions of BOWLS are still going to stay the same. Not a big deal to a guy like me who only watched two games this season but for diehards, it will be cool I guess. As the article states, its a four team playoff system, so how long until the clamouring starts for more teams? Certainly will never get to the numbers of the basketball tournament, I'm confident.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ll-playoff
Ballistic Bob
Legend

notahomer wrote:Okay, they are going to a playoff system. Makes sense I guess. Lots of the traditions of BOWLS are still going to stay the same. Not a big deal to a guy like me who only watched two games this season but for diehards, it will be cool I guess. As the article states, its a four team playoff system, so how long until the clamouring starts for more teams? Certainly will never get to the numbers of the basketball tournament, I'm confident.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ll-playoff
this format is locked in for 12 years. A special tv deal I was hearing today. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Great game between Florida State and Auburn.