Should the Washington Redskins Change Their Team Name?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Never been a Jerry Jones, fan, SP. Ego dragging on the ground behind him.

Nice to see our sister city, Seattle, doing so well with the Seahawks.

I have long thought that organizations take on the values of their leaders. We see that in sports for sure. I expect I've posted the idea on here a few times.

David Braley has been a Godsend for the Lions, and indeed for the CFL. Best personal move by him was giving up his seat at the public trough, the Senate. :thup:

And ... The family and community values of Wally Buono are strongly implanted in the Lions. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Snyder should call his foundation the : Original American Foundation and then we'd believe him when we said it is named after him (OAF) :wink:
South Pender
Legend

Harry Reid again calls on Redskins to change name
Posted by Mike Florio on April 30, 2014, 8:54 PM EDT

Last month, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid predicted that the Redskins will change the name of the team within three years.

Today, Reid pushed for it to happen even sooner.

“The National Football League should take an assist from the NBA and pick up the slack,” Reid said Wednesday on the Senate Floor, via NBCNews.com, with a bad basketball pun. “It would be a slam dunk,” he added, with an even worse pun. “For far too long the NFL has been sitting on its hands doing nothing while an entire population of Americans has been denigrated,” Reid said, thankfully ditching the puns.

“How long will the NFL continue to do nothing — zero — as one of its teams bears a name that inflicts so much pain on Native Americans?” Reid said. He also praised NBA Commissioner Adam Silver for taking swift and decisive action against Clippers owner Donald Sterling, whose ugly views on race became known through a privately-recorded conversation with his ex-girlfriend.

The difference with the Redskins is that the nickname has been hiding in plain sight for years. While no sports team ever could adopt that name now (which actually could strengthen the argument to change it), decades of existence will make it much harder to justify change now. Unless and until the NFL concludes that it has no choice but to nudge owner Daniel Snyder to change the name — and unless and until Snyder can find a way to at a minimum save face or at most to leverage some tangible benefit (like a Super Bowl in D.C.) — the name will remain.

That could come in the next three years or perhaps in the next 30. For now, it’s highly unlikely that the Sterling situation will prompt change in the next three weeks or three months.

Harry Reid has tremendous influence in D. C.; he's the top Democrat in the US Senate and the Senate leader. In this case, though, although similar in some respects, I'm not sure that the two situations (Sterling and the Washington team name) are sufficiently similar, or would be linked sufficiently in most people's minds, for Sterling's blunder to hasten a change in the Washington team name. But one can hope....
South Pender
Legend

Senator McCain thinks Redskins should “probably” change their name
Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

The debate regarding the Redskins name reflects for many a red state/blue state issue, with conservatives supporting the idea that the name isn’t racist and liberals pushing for the name to change.

But not every conservative insists that the name should remain in place. Arizona Senator John McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential candidate, explained during an in-studio visit to Friday’s Dan Patrick Show that owner Daniel Snyder should “probably” change the name.

“I do believe that, if I were him, I would sit down with Native American leaders,” McCain said. “I’d call the Native American leaders together. And I’d sit down with them, and I’d say, ‘OK, what is it that you want? How do you want me to do it?’ If I were him, I’d have a dialogue. And if they think it’s that offensive and terrible I would certainly probably — I’m not the owner, he has the rights of an owner — but frankly I would probably change the name. Myself, I’m not offended, you’re not offended. But there are Native Americans who are.”

As to the question of whether “Redskins” is or isn’t a slur, McCain (whose state includes a large population of Native Americans) was unequivocal: “They do consider it a slur.”

Dan also asked McCain what he’d do if he were Commissioner Roger Goodell.

“I’d say have a dialogue, and then come back to me,” McCain said. “And if the Native Americans are not satisfied, then you ought to consider changing it.”

While McCain’s comments won’t end the debate, it’s one thing for Harry Reid to speak out against the name. It’s quite another for John McCain to do so.

Here's the link, which has a video of McCain on the topic:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... heir-name/

It's a fairly long video--a chat with Dan Patrick--that covers a lot of ground. The Washington team name comes up at about the 4:50 mark. I guess I hadn't realized that public opinion on this issue--at least at the political level--seems to split somewhat along US red-blue (or conservative-liberal) lines, but, when you think about it, this makes sense. Florio's point is that even a conservative like McCain is now thinking that a change may be needed in the name and mascot.

My interest in this is mainly from a behavioral-science perspective and, in particular, the effect on native American children. That's where the research has looked at it--on the developing self-images of native American kids. The empirical evidence (and there's not a lot of it) suggests damaging effects on American Indian children's development of a sense of self.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sports Teams Names...

I agree with our Native American population . I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians while we are at it. And, if your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive . Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population . Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged . We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children . The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible lighting or even spending habits . Wrong message to our children .

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic . Wrong message to our children .

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates . Wrong message to our children .

The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying . . . Wrong message to our children .

So, there you go . We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should . Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves . . .

With all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers . "

I did not write this message, but I approve it.
South Pender
Legend

I think the difference is that "Chiefs," "Braves" and "Indians" are not racial slurs, whereas "Redskins" is. And solid empirical research has shown that using names like this (racial epithets) for mascots or team names has a negative effect on the development of native American children, an effect that may define their lives. This is reason enough, in my view, to change the name. I guess the other, less important, part of it is that, as far as I know, none of the other groups you've identified (obese people, criminals, Catholics, etc.) have requested a name change.
South Pender
Legend

Fifty Senators send letter pushing NFL to change Redskins name
Posted by Mike Florio on May 22, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

It’s one thing for a random politician to speak out about the Redskins name or another to muse about the possibility of changing it on a popular national radio and TV show. It’s quite another for 50 members of the United State Senate — FIFTY — to sign a letter to the NFL urging action on the name of the franchise owned by Daniel Snyder.

FIFTY.

Via the New York Times, nearly half of the legislative body wants the name to be changed.

“The NFL can no longer ignore this and perpetuate the use of this name as anything but what it is: a racial slur,” the letter says. “We urge the NFL to formally support a name change for the Washington football team. . . . We urge you and the National Football League to send the same clear message as the NBA did: that racism and bigotry have no place in professional sports.”

How significant is it that so many Senators signed off on the letter?

“Listen, it is hard to get 50 people in this place to agree on anything,” Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) said.

The issue broke, as so many of these issues do, along party lines; all but five of the Senate’s Democrats signed the letter and no Republicans did. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine of Virginia, Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Joe Donnelly of Indiana, and Mark Pryor of Arkansas abstained.

“The intent of the team’s name has always been to present a strong, positive and respectful image,” the league said in a statement issued to the Times. “The name is not used by the team or the NFL in any other context, though we respect those that view it differently.”

And that’s the heart of the dilemma the NFL currently faces. At some point in the past year, the NFL and the franchise have conceded that reasonable minds may differ on whether the name “Redskins” is a slur. Does the league want one of its teams to carry a name on which a fair debate exists and lingers regarding whether the name represents blatant and open racism?

For the NBA, swift and decisive action was taken in response to comments made privately by Sterling. For the NFL, the problem continues to hide in plain sight.

The best argument in support of change comes from the reality that, if the NFL were forming a team now, there’s no way it ever would be dubbed the “Redskins.” It continues only because of its past. At some point in the future, the present will prevail.

And here's a response from the team's GM (addressed to Harry Reid Senate Majority Leader):

Bruce Allen responds to the Senate

Posted by Mike Florio on May 24, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

The back-and-forth continues regarding the only NFL team name that has sparked a reasonable debate as to whether the name should change.

Earlier this week, 50 Senators sent a letter urging the NFL “to formally support and push for a name change for the Washington football team.” On Friday, the Redskins responded with a letter from G.M. Bruce Allen to Senator Harry Reid.

While addressed to Reid, the letter targets a much different audience. Allen hopes to give supporters of the team’s name ammunition for any arguments that may come up at Memorial Day weekend get-togethers, and also to persuade any of the shrinking group of undecideds to see things the team’s way.

Nothing contained in Allen’s letter will influence Reid or any other opponents of the name to change their position, in part because most of what Allen writes already has been said.

First, Allen explains that the term “Redskins” originated as a Native American expression of solidarity. Second, Allen explains that the team’s logo was designed by Native Americans. (The contention that the logo was designed and approved by Native Americans has been contested by one of the Native American groups that supposedly was involved.) Third, Allen explains that an “overwhelming majority of Native Americans do not find the name offensive,” citing a 10-year-old poll that shows nine percent of Native Americans believe the term is offensive. (His letter doesn’t cite a January 2014 poll, previously touted by the team, which as we explained at the time actually shows a dramatically accelerated erosion of support for the name.)

Fourth, Allen claims that the “vast majority of Americans are in favor of keeping the name,” citing an Associated Press poll that says 83 percent of Americans are in favor of keeping the team’s name (which means 17 percent don’t, which hardly means that a “vast majority” supports the name). Fifth, and finally, Allen cites the team’s recent efforts, launched in the aftermath of the framing of the debate regarding the team’s name, to “[make] a difference for Native Americans through our Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation.”

None of this changes the fact that, at some point within the past year, the NFL and the franchise have conceded that reasonable minds may differ on whether the name constitutes a slur. The question becomes whether the NFL wants to continue to tolerate, indefinitely into the future, circumstances where one of the league’s 32 teams carries a name about which a reasonable debate exists as to whether the name is offensive.

Allen’s letter seems to backtrack on the notion that reasonable minds may differ, and that some may be legitimately offended by the name. Allen’s letter instead seems to be intent on proving that the team’s position is right, and that those opposed to the name are wrong.

None of this will quiet those who are opposed to the name. If anything, efforts to tell them that they’re wrong will serve only to embolden the opposition, ensuring that it will continue until the day the name changes.

With 50 Senators simultaneously calling on the league to change the name, it’s hard not to think that day is coming sooner than anyone may have imagined. It seems like the team plans to delay the inevitable as long as possible by regurgitating the same arguments that have done nothing to slow the growth of a movement that, if the name doesn’t change, eventually will no longer represent a minority view.
South Pender
Legend

And now this from Mike Holmgren (courtesy of Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk):

Holmgren says Redskins should change name
Posted by Mike Florio on May 25, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT

If Mike Holmgren plans to come out of retirement, he probably won’t be working for Daniel Snyder.

Holmgren, who coached the Packers and Seahawks before ending his NFL career serving as the surrogate for former Browns owner Randy Lerner, recently said that Snyder’s team should just go ahead and change their name.

“Absolutely,” Holmgren told Dave “Softy” Mahler of KJR radio, via the Washington Post. “Because of what it signifies and what it means to so many people. I’m not talking football fans; I’m talking about Native Americans and all that. Yeah. Just change the name. Big deal. Change the name.”

“Have you always thought this, or is it maybe just recently that you kind of came to that conclusion, that opinion?” Mahler said.

“No, I think I’ve always felt that way,” Holmgren said. “You know, I’m an old history teacher. And I think if you read enough of that stuff and you see how people were treated, I think it’s the right thing to do. Now, apparently 50 Senators also agree with me.”

While Holmgren doesn’t believe the 50 Senators will influence Commissioner Roger Goodell, Holmgren thinks that Congress can get the NFL’s attention by threatening the league’s broadcast antitrust exemption. If a serious threat to the NFL’s ability to sell TV rights not team-by-team but in a bundle ever arises due to the name of one of the teams, that name will change faster than you can say George Preston Marshall.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

how about they change it to redpotatoskins
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:how about they change it to redpotatoskins
Great call.

While US legislators are piling on the Redkskins I got another one they can change. They have if my limited research is right a policy of namin Army aircraft after Indians tribes, chiefs or terms was made official by authority of Army Regulation (AR) 70-28, dated 4 April 1969. While it has been rescinded it seems nothing changed for some killing machines.

Watched a TV show last night the Apache helicopter killing machine used by the US in every war from Vietnam on. How is that not being attacked as being worse than the Redskins name as this Apache and its latest version is a killing machine extraordinaire. Same with the Blackhawk.
The general policy of naming Army aircraft after Indians tribes, chiefs or terms was made official by authority of AR 70-28, dated 4 April 1969. Although this regulation has been recinded, the Indian names were very popular among Army personnel and the practice continues in place. The commanding general of the US Army Material Command has the responsibility of initiating action to select a popular name for aircraft. For this purpose he has a list of possible names obtained from the Bureau of Indian Affairs (for brevity the names usually consist of only one word). When a new aircraft reaches the production stage or immediately before it goes into production, the commanding general selects five possible names. He bases his selection on the way they sound, their history and their relationship to the mission of the aircraft. They must appeal to the imagination without sacrificing dignity and suggest an aggressive spirit and confidence in the capabilities of the aircraft. They also must suggest mobility, firepower and endurance.

The names are sent to the Trade Mark Division of the US Patent Office to determine if there is any legal objection to their use. After approval by the Patent Office the five names are sent to the Chief of Research and Development, Department of the Army, with a short justification for each. From these five the Chief of Research and Development selects one. The approved name then goes to the Aeronautical Systems Division, Directorate of Engineering Standards, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. This Department of Defense unit has the responsibility of officially registering the names of all aircraft used by the military. It also prints a list of the names in a publication called "Model Designation of Military Aircraft, Rockets and Guided Missiles." Some Army aircraft, such as the Bird Dog and Otter, do not have Indian names. Most were named before the present policy went into effect. AR 70-28 specifies that these will not be changed.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... ft/mds.htm

Why are the native Americans not ragging on that? Because this whole Redskins fiasco is one rich tribe that allegedly doesn't share its casino largesse with its band members.

Let's also end the racist song "Jesus Loves me" - "red and yellow, black and white - all are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world." I don't even need to look this up - it's a song we grew up with as young, Canadian racists referencing them pesky redskins hatred.

And the USA killed bin Laden - calling it Geronomino - yet native Americans were upset by smearing the memory of this mistreated by gov't forces native American leader.
Where was the apology for that linkage. What if they coded it "Jefferson" or "Washington" or "Lincoln? Would the American people have tolerated that?

Just saying as I really think there are so vastly more important issues to focus on but if I were a native American I'd hardly be protesting these names in sports but I'd sure be annoyed if a killing machine was called an Apache.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I found a good article on the military issue here. It is a good read and one note says that Chief Black Hawk was peaceful yet they name the chopper after him and the troops all love these names.

This is by a native American.

http://stewmagnuson.blogspot.hk/2010/09 ... after.html

While those dug in will say this is different as Redskin was a prejudicial term like "*beep*" I have read it was not always so. It became used derogatorily later on. Those who named the team Redskins had the fierce native Indian in mind but they don't kill.

Ask the tribe spending their casino money on this issue why they didn't attack the military machine names as that is far more harmful in reinforcing a view of US history that the native Indiians were rounded up and put on reservations as they were savages! Watch TCM movies from those days. I think the extreme view is stop them. My view is to use these films to teach history and how whites got it wrong.

I don’t actually write books or this column on Native American issues for a living.
At my regular job, I cover defense and homeland security topics for an industry magazine.

This native American military has not since 2003 heard any complaints of naming fighting machines after natives! This was in response to the 2010 name use "Gray Eagle."

That exchange put me in mind of the only time I have ever heard about any opposition to the Army naming their helicopters and aircraft after Native American individuals or nations.
That came in 2003 when I attended a panel discussion in Lincoln about Whiteclay, Neb. Speaking there was the late American Indian Movement leader Vernon Bellecourt. For those who have never heard an AIM leader address a mostly white audience, I can tell you that every speech begins with a long preamble about all the injustices perpetrated on Indians by the white man.

Among Bellecourt’s litany was a complaint that the Army had named a helicopter after Chief Black Hawk. Black Hawk was a man of peace, he said, and he shouldn’t have an instrument of war named after him.

Well, the Sauk chief fought against the United States by siding with the British in the war of 1812. So I’m not so sure about that. Maybe he wanted peace and was dragged into the war. I don’t know.

Since then, I have not read or heard any other complaints from Native Americans about the Army’s tradition.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I found a good article on the military issue here. It is a good read and one note says that Chief Black Hawk was peaceful yet they name the chopper after him and the troops all love these names.

This is by a native American.

http://stewmagnuson.blogspot.hk/2010/09 ... after.html

While those dug in will say this is different as Redskin was a prejudicial term like "*beep*" I have read it was not always so. It became used derogatorily later on. Those who named the team Redskins had the fierce native Indian in mind but they don't kill.

Ask the tribe spending their casino money on this issue why they didn't attack the military machine names as that is far more harmful in reinforcing a view of US history that the native Indiians were rounded up and put on reservations as they were savages! Watch TCM movies from those days. I think the extreme view is stop them. My view is to use these films to teach history and how whites got it wrong.

I don’t actually write books or this column on Native American issues for a living.
At my regular job, I cover defense and homeland security topics for an industry magazine.

This native American military has not since 2003 heard any complaints of naming fighting machines after natives! This was in response to the 2010 name use "Gray Eagle."

That exchange put me in mind of the only time I have ever heard about any opposition to the Army naming their helicopters and aircraft after Native American individuals or nations.
That came in 2003 when I attended a panel discussion in Lincoln about Whiteclay, Neb. Speaking there was the late American Indian Movement leader Vernon Bellecourt. For those who have never heard an AIM leader address a mostly white audience, I can tell you that every speech begins with a long preamble about all the injustices perpetrated on Indians by the white man.

Among Bellecourt’s litany was a complaint that the Army had named a helicopter after Chief Black Hawk. Black Hawk was a man of peace, he said, and he shouldn’t have an instrument of war named after him.

Well, the Sauk chief fought against the United States by siding with the British in the war of 1812. So I’m not so sure about that. Maybe he wanted peace and was dragged into the war. I don’t know.

Since then, I have not read or heard any other complaints from Native Americans about the Army’s tradition.
The comments to this story say they ask the tribes if they can use these names when they do this and they vote yes - if true, go figure.

Redskin name - tempest in a teapot but let's stop "Jesus Loves Me" now!
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote: While those dug in will say this is different as Redskin was a prejudicial term like "*beep*" I have read it was not always so. It became used derogatorily later on.
That's the issue in a nutshell. "Redskin" is a racial epithet; there's just no doubt about that. Any modern dictionary will confirm this. It doesn't matter whether it has always been this way (and there is some doubt about this). The fact that today's native Americans feel degraded by the term is sufficient to get rid of it. To native Americans, the term "redskin" registers roughly equivalently to the way "n**gger" (spoken by whites) does to American blacks.

Other native American words like Apache, Blackhawk, etc., are not racial epithets. It is no more insulting to name something Apache than it is to name it Sooner, Texan, or Cowboy. These are not insulting words.

For me, the whole thing comes down to what the empirical science says about the effect of such racial epithets on children's self-concept and development. The research that exists suggests that racial epithets and clownish mascots have a detrimental effect on the native American child's development of a sense of self. This effect persists through life and helps to account for low self-esteem, lowered accomplishments, and a more impoverished life in general for native Americans.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote: While those dug in will say this is different as Redskin was a prejudicial term like "*beep*" I have read it was not always so. It became used derogatorily later on.
That's the issue in a nutshell. "Redskin" is a racial epithet; there's just no doubt about that. Any modern dictionary will confirm this. It doesn't matter whether it has always been this way (and there is some doubt about this). The fact that today's native Americans feel degraded by the term is sufficient to get rid of it. To native Americans, the term "redskin" registers roughly equivalently to the way "n**gger" (spoken by whites) does to American blacks.

Other native American words like Apache, Blackhawk, etc., are not racial epithets. It is no more insulting to name something Apache than it is to name it Sooner, Texan, or Cowboy. These are not insulting words.

For me, the whole thing comes down to what the empirical science says about the effect of such racial epithets on children's self-concept and development. The research that exists suggests that racial epithets and clownish mascots have a detrimental effect on the native American child's development of a sense of self. This effect persists through life and helps to account for low self-esteem, lowered accomplishments, and a more impoverished life in general for native Americans.
It defies common sense that the REDSKIN team name somehow lowers self esteem.

I think the biggest racial stereotype and fraud on the American people is that native Indians were savages and that is why they were taken down. Using Indian names for killing machines and killing bin Laden (aka Geronimo) would for me if I were a native American be far more damaging and shameful.

Why is it that those who get their panties in a twist over the Washington Redskins don't see how damaging it is and reinforcing of the false image that native Indians were savages.

Your empirical evidence seems to fail to get into these other issues.

I am quite certain they picked the Redskin name as an emblem of fierce warriors in battle not for some derogatory term. Washington Cockroaches or Washington Rats would be disgusting names or Washington Savages. But to me disgusting is calling a killing machine Apache. That is for worse than forcing football teams to change their names. Political correctness misapplied.

And I wouldn't expect you to consider seriously this misuse of the Indian name.

SP: you speak about empirical evidence but never ever address other issues other than dismissively (Jesus loves me, Apache, Blackhawk). Empirical evidence or political correctnesss bandwagon - hard to tell the difference these days.

I did some research of my own and see who is behind the current attack on the Redskins name and that tribe is blowing money on musesums, Obama election campaign and the total of all these external largesse from gambling was in the millions! Yet the local bands didn't and don't make much from the golden goose of gambling nor is that money all going to native Indian causes.

They should be proud of Redkskins football and other team names that are used to depict the best of natives! They are not.

They should be angered that their gov't used the code name Geronimo for killing bin Laden. They are silent. Oh well they say.

They should be angered that killing machines like the Apache are used to reinforce the stereotype perpetrated wrongly of Indians as savage killers. Tney are not - apparently they voted on this in the past.

Why do they call that plane the Wart Hog. Because it resembles the fierce and fearsome characteristics of that animal - same with the Lions. But oh the Apache name is good.

How they connect the racist dots to the Redskins name but ignore the racist song Jesus Loves Me and not connect savagery with the Apache name... Laughable.
South Pender
Legend

Toppy, we've been down this road before, so maybe it's just best to agree to disagree about the harmfulness of racial epithets as team names--while respecting the other person's view. I don't expect you to see this the way I do, but reasonable minds can differ, and, on this, we do. I respect your insights, but I'm a strong believer in science as the only credible arbiter when analyzable empirical evidence is available (as it is in connection with this issue). I think I'm as immune as anyone to political correctness, but I'm not immune to scientific findings!

I'll continue to post developments regarding this issue, as I believe (as some on this forum seem to as well) that using a racial epithet for a team name is wrong, and I'll look forward to the day when this gets fixed. But I certainly respect your views and am always interested to see them on the forum.

In case you're interested, here's a review article that summarizes the empirical research on the topic (in the form of both laboratory and field studies)--research that I've alluded to in previous posts. I should note that the study I'm most familiar with is that by Stephanie Fryberg (conducted with co-authors and given in the reference list). She's a Stanford PhD who is now on faculty at the University of Arizona. Interestingly, she is, I believe, a member of the Tulalip tribe of Washington State. She's a top researcher on native American cultural identity and has written extensively and given invited addresses at many universities on the native American's sense and development of self. Still, many other very competent research studies have been conducted, and, after two decades of empirical research on this and closely-related topics, I believe the findings are pretty clear. Not surprisingly, a number of scientific regulatory bodies--the American Counseling Association, American Psychiatric Association, American Psychological Association and others--have strongly urged discontinuation of the team name on the basis of the research findings.

http://www.changethemascot.org/wp-conte ... Report.pdf
Last edited by South Pender on Tue May 27, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.