Pratt has more lives than a cat!?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

smphantom
Legend

Uggggghhhhhh, when you think David Pratt is finally banished from the local airwaves, he rises from the ashes AGAIN!! Now he will be returning to TEAM 10hockey and teaming up with Bro Jake in the mornings!??? :bang: :puke:

There have been major changes brewing over the past few weeks at the CKNW and TEAM 1040 sports departments.

The following are the list of changes that are likely to occur or have been announced at CKNW or Team 1040.

CKNW
CKNW will be, for all intents and purposes, eliminating their extended sports coverage as both Sportstalk hosted by Dan Russell and the David Pratt show will no longer be on the air in the fall.
It is expected that David Pratt will still do the morning sports segments but there are rumblings which say there is a chance he maybe headed back to Team 1040.
As of right now it is expected that the five-minute morning and afternoon sports segments will be covered by David Pratt and Dave Sheldon. Stu Walters be the station’s only sports reporter.
Long time member of the sports department, Rick Quinton was let go in July.
Team 1040
Though nothing has been formally stated by Team 1040, it is widely believed that the Scotty and Company show will be no more as of early September. It is expected that Bro Jake, formerly of Rock 101 will take over the morning slot as of September 9.
There are significant aftershocks associated with the cancelling of the Scotty and Company show. The first of which is that Paul Chapman will no longer be associated with the morning slot as of Aug 9. Additionally, long time Team 1040 producer Paul DeBron who formerly produced Pratt and Taylor and was currently at the helm on Scotty and Company was let go August 6.
The firings did not stop at DeBron as 1040 talent Tyler Green, John Hadley and Joe Leary were also let go on August 6.
Speculation is rampant that Scott Rintoul will be moved to one of the afternoon slots on the radio station.
Perhaps, the most intriguing piece of tidbit regarding the various changes at 1040 is the rumour that David Pratt may re-join forces with Team 1040. If he were to join, it is speculated that he would be a part of the morning slot with Bro Jake. It is important to note that at this point Pratt jumping ship is a mere rumour but it is one that has been bantered about on Twitter and could potentially occur.
UPDATE: Jim Mullin is reporting that Dave Pratt will be indeed joining Bro Jake for the morning slot on Team 1040
SCENE & HEARD: Vancouver's radio version of Snakes and Ladders picked up its pace this week with more changes than you'll see on any given day at a tire shop.

It started with a 10-person bloodletting at Bell-owned CHUM Radio including the sudden Team 1040 sports exits of Joe Leary, Paul DeBron and Tyler Green.

Leary had been anchoring morning updates, DeBron was a producer who engaged in frequent on-air gabfests, while Green was an operator for Canucks' home games and co-hosted a soccer show. As is usually the case in the broadcasting business, none of them had the slightest inkling their days were numbered.

Leary, who referred to it as "a kick in the career nuts" after having been with the station for seven years, also had to break the news to Lions' centre Angus Reid that their sports talk show Saturday mornings on Team 1410 had been sacked.

While all of this was swirling around the third floor of the CHUM Radio offices on West Second Avenue, there was more to come, emanating from the Corus Radio tower across town.

Dave Pratt had second thoughts about joining Philip Till as part of the 'NW morning news and talk segment and opted to accept an offer to return to Team 1040 as co-host with Bro Jake for a new 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. show that debuts on Sept. 9. While Pratt's agent and lawyer Ron Perrick said: "Dave had two offers on the table and took the one he liked best," the official announcement from 'NW news director Ian Koeningsfest in a staff email read: "We regret to inform you that Dave Pratt has resigned effective immediately from Corus Radio and we wish him the best in his future endeavours."

('NW doesn't mean that, of course, but it was the polite thing to do.) Pratt working with stately newsman Till never did make much sense.

Each of them is tremendously territorial and it could have developed into another Clash of the Titans.

"Jake and I go back some 20 years and I worked with him for the last year-and-a-half at Rock 101," said Pratt, the cat with more than nine radio lives.

"With this new show we'll be two bad-ass guys going at it."

Neither Bro Jake nor Dan Russell had their existing contracts renewed by Corus. There had been speculation that Russell might surface as play-by-play announcer for the Vancouver Giants but that was snuffed out when the Giants let it be known that Blake Price and Brendan Bachelor of Team 1040 would be sharing the team's broadcasts this year.

Bachelor, who did the playby-play with the Surrey Eagles last season, will work the majority of the Giants' road games. It appears 1040's Jeff Paterson is the odd man out of the hockey club's broadcasting mix.

It is difficult, at times, to follow the bouncing ball in the broadcast business.

Unfortunately, bounce is the operative word.

drsport@telus.net Read the latest sports news at vancouversun.com/sports

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Stay thirsty my friends.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

At least I don't have to liten to that nausiating DeBron guy anymore. He was/is the worst. Should have never given him a mic.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:At least I don't have to liten to that nausiating DeBron guy anymore. He was/is the worst. Should have never given him a mic.
Was he the one who always went on with the frat boy level "humour" (have to put it in quotes)? Can't say I'd miss him. OTOH, I'm not sure Bro Jake works for me. I never listened to him and I could be wrong but I always got the impression he was one of those flaky "morning zoo" kind of guys. Not really my scene.

If Rintoul goes to the afternoon, what happens to Taylor and/or BMac?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:At least I don't have to liten to that nausiating DeBron guy anymore. He was/is the worst. Should have never given him a mic.
Was he the one who always went on with the frat boy level "humour" (have to put it in quotes)? Can't say I'd miss him. OTOH, I'm not sure Bro Jake works for me. I never listened to him and I could be wrong but I always got the impression he was one of those flaky "morning zoo" kind of guys. Not really my scene.

Yup. That's him. Bro Jake and Pratt will NEVER enter my eardrums
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can't stand "Know it All" Pratt and Dan Russell
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

Yup. That's him. Bro Jake and Pratt will NEVER enter my eardrums
I was ok with Pratt for the most part so I might give them a chance as a duo but the leash will be short.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Scott Rintoul IMO the only guy on Team 1040 that's worth listening to. Blake Price is always interrupting his guests.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I like the Moj and his shows and his guests and how he gets varied guests from varied sports and lots of them. The rest of them make guests an afterthought.
But I am not in Vancouver now so not sure where he is lined up.

But the Moj keeps his show moving and lots of guests and he comes across as old buddies just chatting.

The worst for is filling the air time with useless chatter - Patterson, Price. Not sure if it is their styles or lack of steady shows where they book guests.

Pratt is living proof as is Dan Russell that you don't actually have to see any games to talk about them. But then again a sports talk show on NHL hockey doesn't need games. If they stopped for a 3 year strike there is enough potential line combos and trades to keep the boards open and full that entire time.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Dan Russell was certainly somebody I enjoyed listening to when I was more into hockey but the NHL and NHLPA took care of my interest in hockey.

I am usually busy for the Lions radio shows so not so sure. Personally never really enjoyed Pratt but thats me. Probably should invest in another personal radio. The local radio has really lost me. The ONLY time I turn it on is to hear Lions games that haven't quite made it to TV yet (due to another sport running late). I should make an effort to tune into some of the post game chatter on the postgameshow.
Ravi
Legend

Does anyone remember Pratt's Sunday night talk show on TSN back in the late 1990s? I thought that it was quite good and he often had Lions on there.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:Does anyone remember Pratt's Sunday night talk show on TSN back in the late 1990s? I thought that it was quite good and he often had Lions on there.
Last Call, I think it was called. That was quite a while ago. He discusses it, among other things, in this video clip from last year.

[video][/video]
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Speaking of developments at 1040, Sekeres released the Presidents' Week schedule yesterday, except this year because of scheduling conflicts they've scattered it over a few weeks and called it Presidents' Club.

Skulsky will be up first this coming Friday and co-hosting with Sekeres for two hours, 11am-1pm.

Others:
Ron Toigo, Giants, Wed Aug 21.
Bob Lenarduzzi, Whitecaps, Fri Aug 23.
Andy Dunn, Canadians, Fri Aug 30.
Mike Gillis, Canucks, TBA.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

This is quite the coincidence for me, or maybe I can see into the future. Just a couple weeks ago I really started thinking how the morning show was becoming quite lame, with no personality. Scotty seems like a good person, but he isn't super entertaining. Paul Chapman is pretty boring. And then they had Ian Mcletchie on as a host, which basically had me flipping to another station for the first time in a while on my morning commutes. I think it started with Jason Botchford leaving. He isn't the best, but at least he had personality and was funny at times. Now they will have tons of personality, whether it is good or bad. I hate Pratt with the best of them, and especially when he and Bro Jake are having their little Bromance on air, but at least it won't be boring.
vanhalendlrband
Rookie

This is the first I've heard of this now I'm going to google. They let go of Bro Jake at Rock 101?

What the hell is happening to that station? Have you heard the awful music they're playing, and no I'm not talking about the awful music they played only half the time before along with some wicked classics (but never deeper cuts).

I nearly died when I heard them play Bonnie Rait on ROCK 101. What a joke Vancouver stations have been. The only station I don't hate in Vancouver is TEAM 1040 as its where I can get sports news while I'm driving. It also seems like there's more interference on 92.9 KISM these days. CRTC's doing?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don't listen to early-morning radio but the Team 1040 programming changes are great for evening listeners who previously had to contend with Fox Sports loudmouths shouting into their microphones. Evening programming is now all local. The Moj now has a regular time slot of 6-9 p.m., followed by Rintoul from 9 to midnight. So far they've done a great job of covering a range of sports but hockey talk is likely to ramp up in the coming month.