Pratt has more lives than a cat!?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

smphantom
Legend

FYI- Dan Russell's Sportstalk returns to the airwaves tonight at 9 pm on AM650!

Sportstalk runs Sundays to Thursdays 9-12 midnight. Glad Dan will be back on with his unbiased opinions in comparison to TEAM10hockey.
Stay thirsty my friends.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I don't listen to early-morning radio but the Team 1040 programming changes are great for evening listeners who previously had to contend with Fox Sports loudmouths shouting into their microphones. Evening programming is now all local. The Moj now has a regular time slot of 6-9 p.m., followed by Rintoul from 9 to midnight. So far they've done a great job of covering a range of sports but hockey talk is likely to ramp up in the coming month.
A few years ago TEAM 1040 sent out survey's on their programing, I was all for getting rid of the US recycled shows that were being played. Glad that they have finally rid themselves of those, but I am not sold on the jew "Bro" show. The lack of sports discussion in the morning now, have me pinning for the return of DeBron, whom seemed to lack decorum at the best of times.

My favourite on 1040 is Sekeres now, he didn't start off that way, but his show flows on the sporting front and has a variance to it from others.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I don't listen to early-morning radio but the Team 1040 programming changes are great for evening listeners who previously had to contend with Fox Sports loudmouths shouting into their microphones. Evening programming is now all local. The Moj now has a regular time slot of 6-9 p.m., followed by Rintoul from 9 to midnight. So far they've done a great job of covering a range of sports but hockey talk is likely to ramp up in the coming month.
A few years ago TEAM 1040 sent out survey's on their programing, I was all for getting rid of the US recycled shows that were being played. Glad that they have finally rid themselves of those, but I am not sold on the jew "Bro" show. The lack of sports discussion in the morning now, have me pinning for the return of DeBron, whom seemed to lack decorum at the best of times.

My favourite on 1040 is Sekeres now, he didn't start off that way, but his show flows on the sporting front and has a variance to it from others.
My habits were pick up 1040 first thing in the morning until 9:00 then switch to FAN590 for Hockey Central at Noon. I enjoyed when it was BMac and Rintoul then Rintoul and whomever after that. Always enjoyed Ferraro's timeslots in the morning. At 10:00 I'd switch back to Team1040 until 1:00 then back to FAN590 for Bob McCown. I've listened some to Jake and Pratt driving to work in the morning if I can pick up the signal. But it hasn't grabbed me as being "must-listen" stuff like I did with the morning show predecessors. Somedays I pick it up on the internet. Other days I don't bother. But I still follow the same routine for the rest of the day starting at 9.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:.....but I am not sold on the jew "Bro" show. The lack of sports discussion in the morning now, .......
I liked Bro Jake when he first broke into this market but that was decades ago (CFMI? maybe?). I've seen adverts for the radio show with him dressed up in gear for both the Lions and Whitecaps. Classic, sell the sizzle but sounds like there is no steak....

Radio has just been dead for me for years now. I keep meaning to get another portable radio for the pre/post games but really football coverage is all I have time to listen to the radio for. I spent many years where listening to the Lions on the radio was my Lions coverage (except the televised games of course). I think the constant TSN coverage of Lions games has gotten me to forget about the radio shows.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
Rammer wrote:.....but I am not sold on the jew "Bro" show. The lack of sports discussion in the morning now, .......
I liked Bro Jake when he first broke into this market but that was decades ago (CFMI? maybe?). I've seen adverts for the radio show with him dressed up in gear for both the Lions and Whitecaps. Classic, sell the sizzle but sounds like there is no steak....

Radio has just been dead for me for years now. I keep meaning to get another portable radio for the pre/post games but really football coverage is all I have time to listen to the radio for. I spent many years where listening to the Lions on the radio was my Lions coverage (except the televised games of course). I think the constant TSN coverage of Lions games has gotten me to forget about the radio shows.
TEAM radio game coverage is def far more extensive than TSN. Two hours pre and post each, so in aggregate it's more than the game itself. My only complaint on the radio front is external to TEAM's coverage itself and this is that the reception is not very good inside BCP even on the dedicated FM signal that transmits from within the building (supposedly). Either the reception is often very sensitive to the orientation of your radio and every so often you have to tilt/rotate it around to draw the signal back in, or you're getting interfering signal from at least one, perhaps two other nearly overlapping stations. Far from optimum, but maybe my seat location (end zone sideline) is a factor. Reception might be better elsewhere in the stadium (read high rent seats).

As for the Bro Jake show it's largely a thumbs down from me. When they're actually focussing on sports with Lions and Canucks features/interviews it's ok, but I've just heard too many stretches of inane non-sports material to make this required listening. That limerick thing last week was annoying, doubly so because of all the callers, none of them seemed to have a sweet clue what the hell a limerick really is. I just wanted them all to get the manual buzzer à la Jim Rome.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: TEAM radio game coverage is def far more extensive than TSN. Two hours pre and post each, so in aggregate it's more than the game itself. .....
Yes, no question. When I was younger (translation no 'female commitments', work etc....) I would often catch the PreGame and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS catch the postgame. Didn't matter win or lose. If we won, I wanted to hear why (and the odd grumbler who'd still complain, I just know why some now) and if we lost, why and what do we need to do better.

The Football Radio Network, or whatever it was called, was an example of what you hear some Lionbackers complain about now. That is if you are going to call it the BC Lions, its a BC team. Certainly you get calls, complaints and cheers from people in communities all over our province. I'll have to get back to taking in the post game on the radio anyways.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Sounds like Bro Jake has boosted the morning ratings at 1040 acc to this from Dr Sport in the Sun:

Bro Jake morning show on Team 1040 posts big gain with Vancouver radio listeners

Hockey's the draw: Canucks attract lots of coveted ears to station's signal

Excerpt:
[David] Pratt and Bro Jake launched their morning radio show on Team 1040 three months ago on Sept. 9. According to Pratt, their coveted 25-54 male audience has grown from a 5.9 share of that targeted audience to a respectable 7.4 "just in the last five weeks."

Radio ratings are tricky. Sales and programming directors are experts at interpreting and spinning the numbers to satisfy their own needs. But there is no mistaking that the Canucks remain a huge attraction on radio dials. Evening time slots on Team 1040 during the hockey season climb from a 2.4 share to an 8.0 share with adults and an 11.3 share with males 25-54.

Those figures were enough to put the station's annual clients' Christmas party into the ozone at Bar None in Yaletown Thursday night.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Spud387
Champion

sj-roc wrote:Sounds like Bro Jake has boosted the morning ratings at 1040 acc to this from Dr Sport in the Sun:

Bro Jake morning show on Team 1040 posts big gain with Vancouver radio listeners

Hockey's the draw: Canucks attract lots of coveted ears to station's signal

Excerpt:
[David] Pratt and Bro Jake launched their morning radio show on Team 1040 three months ago on Sept. 9. According to Pratt, their coveted 25-54 male audience has grown from a 5.9 share of that targeted audience to a respectable 7.4 "just in the last five weeks."

Radio ratings are tricky. Sales and programming directors are experts at interpreting and spinning the numbers to satisfy their own needs. But there is no mistaking that the Canucks remain a huge attraction on radio dials. Evening time slots on Team 1040 during the hockey season climb from a 2.4 share to an 8.0 share with adults and an 11.3 share with males 25-54.

Those figures were enough to put the station's annual clients' Christmas party into the ozone at Bar None in Yaletown Thursday night.
I predict some number fudging there. I am in that demographic along with all of my co-workers & friends. I can count the number of people that still listen to the morning show since they took over on one hand...
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:I predict some number fudging there. I am in that demographic along with all of my co-workers & friends. I can count the number of people that still listen to the morning show since they took over on one hand...
Yup esp since they're self-reported. Some of his old audience from his last gig might have followed him but not sure how much from Rintoul's he's retained. Numbers will get a bump anyway with the start of hockey season. I saw some numbers from this time last year (lockout) and they were in the toilet, esp compared to the peak during the 2011 Finals run.
Spud387
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
Spud387 wrote:I predict some number fudging there. I am in that demographic along with all of my co-workers & friends. I can count the number of people that still listen to the morning show since they took over on one hand...
Yup esp since they're self-reported. Some of his old audience from his last gig might have followed him but not sure how much from Rintoul's he's retained. Numbers will get a bump anyway with the start of hockey season. I saw some numbers from this time last year (lockout) and they were in the toilet, esp compared to the peak during the 2011 Finals run.
Ya I was just thinking that. Sure numbers are up, but Hockey season also just started.