Official NFL Thread: 2013-2014 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hope Ryan Phillips was watching how the Seahawk secondary was tackling. They were stopping the receivers dead in their tracks.
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I hope Ryan Phillips was watching how the Seahawk secondary was tackling. They were stopping the receivers dead in their tracks.
So true. The Seahawks' LBs and secondary are big guys with great speed--and, boy, they do tackle well. The receiver touches the ball and, BOOM, he's flattened on the spot with or without the ball. It's surprising to see the combine results on these guys. They're all pretty well around the 4.5 - 40 mark in speed, and the guys in the secondary are big for DBs. Strong safety Kam Chancellor is 6-3, 232, and free safety, Earl Thomas is not as tall, but, at 5-10 is a solid 202 lbs. and runs the 40 in 4.43 seconds--about Percy Harvin speed. Same with the corners. Richard Sherman is 6-3, 195, with 4.5 speed, and Byron Maxwell (Brandon Browner's replacement), on the other side, is 6-1, 207, with 4.43 speed. That's the Legion of Boom. But the linebackers are amazingly fast too. MLB Bobby Wagner is 6-1, 241 (so pretty much usual size), but runs a 4.45 40. Malcolm Smith runs a 4.44 40. Bruce Irvin, 6-3, 255, runs a 4.41 40. K. J. Wright (the guy they often put on tight ends) is 6-4, 246, but is the slowest of the LB corps at a snail-like 4.69 in the 40! So, it's not hard to see how these guys get to the receivers so quickly, and they can all tackle well.

Pete Carroll, a defensive guy throughout much of his career, has built a great D-unit, and DC Dan Quinn has managed it well. Of course, much of the credit goes to Carroll and GM John Schneider for recognizing low draft picks that they could see would be successful in the NFL.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote: Pete Carroll, a defensive guy throughout much of his career, has built a great D-unit, and DC Dan Quinn has managed it well. Of course, much of the credit goes to Carroll and GM John Schneider for recognizing low draft picks that they could see would be successful in the NFL.
"Pete Carroll, a defensive guy throughout much of his career"

My observation as well. I admit I do not watch much NFL these days.

However, in watching some of the Super Bowl, I could not help but notice how much clutch and grab the Seattle DBs use. Coached. To the limit of penalty calls. There would need to be an official watching each matchup to catch it all. Much of it goes unpenalized. I am not whining, as a supporter of Peyton Manning. I am crediting Carroll and his staff, coaching to the limit of the rules.

I had some experience coaching basketball. How to defend the post. How to play offence in the paint. What the refs will call. What they won't call. What determines a foul.

Carroll seems to have used that philosophy in coaching his DBs. When to grab. When to let go. Awareness of the officials and their position on the field, their sight lines. I saw much stuff that I thought could have been called, but was either ignored or unobserved. All over the place.

Like clutch and grab in hockey. It happens. Much goes uncalled.

Also ...

Beautifully prepared team --> the Seahawks. Confident. Not awed by the moment. In the moment. Motivated.

Pete Carroll is something of a revelation as a coach. He learned from past failures.

He thinks outside the box.

I thought the Broncos were hugely outcoached in the game. They were not ready to play in the big game. Getting that part right is very tricky. Not too high. But motivated. Not awed by the occasion. Carroll nailed it. Bud Grant, his mentor, never quite got that right in the Super Bowl. Bill Walsh nailed it. Bill Parcells nailed it. Shula got it right sometimes. Landry got it right sometimes. Lombardi nailed it.

I really like Pete Carroll's go for it attitude. They told Percy Harvin if the kickoff is even within 6 inches of the end line, you run it out.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

Interesting observations about Pete Carroll, Joe. The Seahawks were the most penalized team in the NFL this past year in terms of both penalties against and yardage lost as a result, racking up close to 10 penalties per game on average. So some of what you have noted did get called, but certainly not all of it. Carroll started his coaching career as a coach of the secondary (having played either corner or safety in college himself), and his non-HC jobs have been on the defensive side of the ball. As a result, he's very fortunate to have a very good X's and Os guy as his OC, Darrell Bevell. (Let's hope Benevides will benefit similarly with Khari Jones.)

One thing about Carroll that has always surprised me a little is how he was regarded as a total failure (even as a "joke") in his previous NFL HCing jobs. It's true that he had one bad season with the Jets in 1994, when they went 6-10. But in his 3 seasons as HC in New England, they went 27-21, or a 9-7 average over those 3 seasons, with one 10-6 season (although there was a downward trend from 10-6 to 9-7 to 8-8). So he had a 56% win percentage with the Patriots and a 52% win percentage over the four pre-Seattle NFL seasons. This is certainly not total failure, and it sure doesn't mark him as a "joke" of a coach. There are a number of present-day coaches with poorer records than Carroll had before he came to the Seahawks. One example is Marvin Lewis, who has amassed a 50% win percentage in 11 seasons with the Bengals, and no one considers him a failure, let alone a "joke." With the Seahawks, Carroll is at 60% (59% regular season), and, now overall in his 8 years as an NFL HC, he stands at 56%. The great (truly) Bill Walsh ended up at 60.9% for the regular season; so Carroll is not that far away, with some winning seasons undoubtedly ahead of him.

Of course you're dead on about getting a team properly prepared for big games. I don't know what the secret is, and, as Lions fans, we've seen some pretty spectacular failures in that regard (I'm thinking primarily here of the 2012 Western Final). Getting the players focused, feeling confident, but not overconfident, amped up, but not over-amped, etc., etc., and then completely-focused and without jitters when the game starts.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think a lot of penalties go uncalled and its walking that fine line that makes officiating difficult. Holding by the Oline could be called more than it is but they have their standard. IMO, offensive pass interference is the MOST UNDER CALLED penalty in both leagues. Mugging a DB is okay, it seems....

Glad Pete C. was able to join Switzer and Johnson in the fraternity of coaches whove coached an NFL franchise to a Superbowl win and a college to a national championship.....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I am seriously starting to wonder if I need to start a twelve step group for footballaholics....

I'm only partly joking....

Later this month (Feb 22 onwards) I believe the combine for the 2014 Draft will take place. Deion Sanders alterego Leon Sandcastle will probably be making yet another appearance. Great ad the other day where the Houston Texans used their first overall pick to draft Jerry RiceCake. Great hairdo Jerry....
Right around draft time for the NFL, Hollywood will be releasing a ridiculous sounding moving that I am defnately going to take in. This is why I'm wondering if I need a 12stepper for football. The movie is called 'Draft Day' starring Kevin Costner and I guess outlines all the mumbojumbo that goes on before, during and after a NFL draft. At first I just laughed but after seeing a few commercials, I will probably take it in. I can't see this being a "got to see it in the theatres' movie. Those are more your high action flicks, IMO (Star Wars, Indiana Jones etc...).
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:I am seriously starting to wonder if I need to start a twelve step group for footballaholics....
Yes, this is a serious syndrome that has not been given enough attention by behavioral scientists and medical researchers. Withdrawal symptoms appear within hours of the end of the Super Bowl. Suicidal ideation appears, dogs are kicked, work suffers, alcohol consumption increases, irrational behavior worsens, loss of fine-motor functions and tremors occur in later stages, sometimes followed by death.... No known therapy exists at present.

I'm still in the early stages, but I can sense the progress of the disease. I've decided that what I will do is start now thinking about the 2014-15 season. I will follow every off-season development, starting with player retirements, trades, free agency, the draft, all the rumors and gossip. I will dream about how great my favorite teams are going to be with those new signings. With two leagues in which to do this, I believe I will be able to fight this debilitating disorder until, once again, footballs will sail in tight spirals and flat trajectory to their targets.

To this end, let's close off this Official NFL Thread: 2013-2014 Season and start a new one, Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season, to begin to track the upcoming season right from the beginning--the first signings.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Fine, there is no real need to continue this thread, save one.... Info from this season.....

SO, this Sunday NFL network is having a marathon where they will be showing what they call the GREATEST GAMES of 2013-14. Not sure if its just regular season or regular season plus playoffs. I'd call some of those Wildcard Weekend games in the category of some of the greatest for this season.

So, February 9, all 24 hours on NFL network....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The games were good, IMO.

GreenBay versus SanFRan at Candlestick was a good one. They also replayed the playoff game between those two. The Cowboys/Lions. The two championship games plus the Superbowl.

Watching this kind of football is okay I guess. Maybe I'm just used to regular broadcast style with commercial breaks etc.... Watching a football game without the two minute warning break is different. NFL networks replay of the Superbowl took place in an HOUR. So, all the punting and a lot of the penalties etc... get editted out. Its not that I like watching PUNTS, PENALTIES etc... its the tension that comes with it all. Most punts are boring but its that one that gets blocked that is cool. When you see a punt on a NFL network replay YOU KNOW SOMETHING BIG IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I knew it anyway (it was the Broncos/Patriots game where the Patriots recovered a 'touched' punt in OT).

Anyway, it was a chance to watch some football. I hadn't watched EVERY game so some I didn't know how every game was going to end.....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=444105

Incognito seems to be mellowing and has issued an apology to Martin, Dolphin owner Ross and the investigator Ted Wells.

I hope this story goes away UNTIL the NFL issues the direction it is hoping to take. I don't think a lot of this can be legislated but I do feel the NFL can help players/teams by having a basic guideline. Its already being done. For e.g. most players seem to wear shirts/ties. Why? Football isn't played in suits/ties? Well its the idea of professionalism etc... Basic guidelines frowning upon homophobia and bullying are just going to bring the NFL lockerrooms into this century. If the players don't want to go along, I hope the NFLPA gets included in any workplace discrimination lawsuits that may be brought about in the future...
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The Miami Dolphins FIRED Head Trainer mentioned in the Wells report. Probably the first of many dominoes to fall.......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... lls-report

Dying to see the coverage on NFL network. This channel really helps me get through the CFL/NFL offseasons. There is NO offseason in NFL football anymore. This season is another one where the stories keep coming.......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... lls-report

The other shoe dropped later. Offensive line coach Jim Turner was FIRED as a result of information contained within the Wells report.

I'm NOT AT ALL surprised Turner was pink-slipped. For Christmas 2012 he gave most of his players on the Oline a inflatable female sex doll and one player got an inflatable male sex doll.

I was a little more surprised at the firing of the head athletic trainer. Good reputation in the league and had worked for the Dolphins for 18 years.

No doubt these guys will get to work in the NFL again. This is PROBABLY just a blip in the road. What I agree with is that these guys were FIRED for NOT DOING SOMETHING. Yes, they did some dumb things (inflatable dolls?). But they were more in trouble for NOT informing the Head Coach and/or not doing anything to stop it. Therefore, they were held culpable.

I won't be surprised if EVERY SINGLE name in this incident gets to work again in the NFL. I guess Richie Incognito maybe the slimmest bet to return and Martin, I'm also a little unsure about. But the other linemen and these two fired guys will work again, I bet.

I'm not trying to be funny here but maybe Sam can make this be healed. Draft Sam and he'll be PROOF that the Dolphins culture is FIXED. I really think the Dolphins COULD use a case like this to help Bullygate go away. So, you heard it here first :wink: but then again, maybe the Dolphins are not quite ready for the NFL's first KNOWN gay player!