Official NFL Thread: 2013-2014 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

NFL training camps open today. Regular season starts the week after Labour Day. Should be an interesting season with the two NFC West teams--Seattle and SF--looking so good. Some sources have Seattle rated #1. Pro Football Talk has the first four: SF #1; Denver #2; Baltimore #3, and Seattle #4. Lots of excitement ahead in Seattle with Percy Harvin giving Russell Wilson another great target, and the beefed-up D-line. The 'hawks should be great!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

certainly have enjoyed various training camp docs (Argos and various NFL teams in Hard Knocks). Yes, I'm looking forward to the upcoming NFL season in part due to how the last one came in. Last year was an officiating labour dispute and the year before it was the players. This season it will just be the Hall of Fame game and then preseason. I don't usually bother tuning into preseason games but will take one in if I happen to be home when its on. I've had the NFL network on my cable package for a few years now and it certainly helps keep me informed.

For years I thought the NFC East was the best division of football to watch. Steelers/Broncos? No thanks the Cowboys are playing in the Giants stadium. THankfully the NFC West went from a division where the Seahawks won the crown with a losing record to what is looking like quite a tight division too.

IMO, the surprise will be Rivers rebounding in San Diego. Guess we'll see how the various storylines play out. As a CFL fan I'm obviously interested in seeing how Marc Trestman does in Chicago. I hope the Seahawks have another great season but I see them struggling to keep up with the 49ers. Hope I'm wrong........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ahhhh ... New thread for the NFL, huh?

2009-2013 previously. Kind of have some nostalgia for that long running thread. There was some "Do we get a new thread this year?" stuff. Now I don't have to decide whether to give a new thread. I probably would have extended the old one. LOL

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16792

No problem. Have to admit my heart is not so much in the NFL these last few years.

No pressure, South Pender. But, Hey, your thread better be good. Ha ha

Take up the responsibility.

Odds each week? Previews? Recaps? Inside stories? Pictures? :wink:

Have at it. Enjoy.
D
Team Captain

the new thread was kinda my idea, makes it a little easier to follow and go back and look stuff up.

Personally I get a lot more interested in the NFL after the Grey Cup but I'm really hoping the Seahawks can carry on with the great season they had last year
I own The Grey Cup! .com
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

D wrote:the new thread was kinda my idea, makes it a little easier to follow and go back and look stuff up.

Personally I get a lot more interested in the NFL after the Grey Cup but I'm really hoping the Seahawks can carry on with the great season they had last year

Yeah, well, you guys keep it going, ya hear? Lots of updates for the readers. :wink:

Left up to me, there is lttle doubt I would have extended the old one, with some waning energy and enthusiasm over the years, but still lots of work and input, with some regular posters and readers (23,209 views).

I don't mind giving it up, just as I didn't mind taking it up originally on my own initiative. There is not much discussion around here about who starts what thread, et cetera. Ultimately, D decides how he wants his site to run.

New blood. Go, SP.

I do like the trend with NFL QBs. CFL style guys. Russell, RGIII, Kaepernick. :thup:

The Seahawks have a beautiful stadium, and I very much like their coach, Pete Carroll, an out-of-the-box thinker, a creative guy.
zark
Champion

I followed NFL when I was a kid. As I matured, the CFL became more predominant. Until the CFL became more fun than the No Fun League. I've got better things to do in my life than watch slow moving slugs on the weekends. I love football. But Yank games are a complete crapshoot and a bore.IMO !
Ride a horse!
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:I followed NFL when I was a kid. As I matured, the CFL became more predominant. Until the CFL became more fun than the No Fun League. I've got better things to do in my life than watch slow moving slugs on the weekends. I love football. But Yank games are a complete crapshoot and a bore.IMO !
Ride a horse!
your loss
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well the NFL preseason starts next weekend with its annual Hall of Fame game. Will Parcells ever try one last kick at the can once he's been inducted? Methinks not, as there is WAY too many hours needed to Coach in any league, especially the NFL (or CFL for that matter).

Jets are the ones getting the majority of the coverage whereas the Giants are the ones who actually have won Superbowls in the recent past. Amazing league. Two teams play in NY and none in LA!?!? I'm hoping this is it for Sanchez as a Jet. Maybe he'd do better in a different setup with different team-mates?

The team I love to hate but love to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers seem to be off to a good start. I enjoy watching good defensive teams but with the Steelers its BigBens knack for doing enough to win that has my grudging respect.

America's so-called team is kinda quiet, for a Cowboy training camp anyway. Romo has the #'s. If stats could be turned into Superbowl rings Romo would be a first ballot HofFamer, IMO but maybe he'll actually lead his team to playoff success too. As a kid, the Cowboys were one of my favourite NFL teams. Now, I hope for the Cowboys to stumble/struggle since the Cowboys are the personal plaything of Jerry Jones.

Regardless, I am sure there will be lots of news and mumbojumbo still to come. The one 'how did that work out so well' item, IMO? Donovan M. getting his jersey retired the night Andy Reid returns to Philly to lead his new team, the Cardinals, to battle versus the Eagles.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Heard on NFL network via a Percy Harvin tweet.... He's going under the knife and will be out 3-4 months.....

Bad news for the Seahawks but then again, its a chance for somebody else to step up....
South Pender
Legend

Yeah, that's a tough blow to what was shaping up to be an unstoppable offense. Could be back in the late season. A lot of smirking by Vikings fans on the various blogs. :thdn:
South Pender
Legend

In Hawkville: Interesting to see Tavaris Jackson back with the 'hawks. He'll be battling Brady Quinn for the No. 2 QB slot (I see Jackson winning this battle). This would seem to give Russell Wilson quite decent backup in case of injury to the starter. I think Jackson can play. He did have one good year in Minnesota, completing 67% of his passes and earning a 113 QB rating. Percy Harvin's surgery evidently went well, and Pete Carroll is optimistic that Harvin will be able to play later in the season. I'd like to see a trade for another burner, but it probably won't happen.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: .... Donovan M. getting his jersey retired the night Andy Reid returns to Philly to lead his new team, the Cardinals, to battle versus the Eagles.
I know its not good form to quote oneself but.... For whatever reason (lack of coffee, late nights etc...) I thought for some dumb reason :bang: Reid is Coach of the Arizona Cardinals (actually Bruce Arians) but Reid will be coaching the Kansas City Chiefs the night Donovan M. gets his night...

As for the Seahawks QB situation. It is amazing how quickly some names come/go. Jackson was the starter, now hopefully will back up. Brady Quinn, IIRC, was one of those 'names'. IIRC, I read a lengthy story about Quinn in an issue of Mens Health magazine quite a few years back. Somehow, IIRC, fighting for a backup spot in the NFL wasn't part of the story..... Then again, I proved with my Reid as Cardinals Coach, my memory ain't what it used to be......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The Riley Cooper thing has me a little puzzled. He uttered a racial slur and has apologized. Was he wrong? Hell, yeah, IMO.

But to have other players come out and say "I don't accept his apology", "I'm not going to play with him" etc.... I say fine, ride the pine. I think it is a dangerous precedent to start saying well because I don't like this guy and or what he did, I'm not playing. Riley Cooper was wrong. Steps are being taken. IMO, the Eagles should lay down the law OR cut him. Its an issue that seems to be causing problems or is it just a media firestorm?
South Pender
Legend

A little from Pro Football Talk (Mike Florio, et al.) for Saturday. Special interest for fans of the Cards, Broncos, Bills, Eagles, Bucs, Steelers, Giants, Niners, 'Boys, and some more of the usual Aaron Hernandez news, along with a number of interesting one-liners:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/

Looks as if the Niners have a similar top-receiver-injury problem as the 'Hawks with Michael Crabtree out until mid-season (probably at the earliest with a ruptured Achilles). He and Percy Harvin might be back at about the same time.
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:The Riley Cooper thing has me a little puzzled. He uttered a racial slur and has apologized. Was he wrong? Hell, yeah, IMO.

But to have other players come out and say "I don't accept his apology", "I'm not going to play with him" etc.... I say fine, ride the pine. I think it is a dangerous precedent to start saying well because I don't like this guy and or what he did, I'm not playing. Riley Cooper was wrong. Steps are being taken. IMO, the Eagles should lay down the law OR cut him. Its an issue that seems to be causing problems or is it just a media firestorm?
Yeah, a tough situation for the new coach. There's a lot of pressure on him to cut Cooper, but, with Maclin out for an extended period, Kelly may think he will need Cooper. There's also the good point you made about the inmates running the institution. The Raven players had no trouble accepting Ray Lewis after his participation in a murder, but Cooper is a pariah for using the n-word (which I agree was bad).

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... vity-train

I love this response to these personal pratfalls--get counseling. As if a week or two of counseling will actually change Cooper's basic attitudes. Same response as we've seen from this numnitz of a San Diego mayor, Bob Filner. He's getting two weeks of counseling (which originally he wanted the taxpayers to cover) and expects the citizens of San Diego to see him as completely cured of his sexual-harassment tendencies. I guess it's seen as good cover, but it's hard to believe very many actually buy it.