Official NFL Thread: 2013-2014 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Wow, saw an exec from the officiating department break down two calls (one call each AFC/NFC championships). According to him Welker's pick/rub was NOT pass interference and was a legal play....
Very interesting. I wonder what Bill Belichick has to say about this now!

On the other blown call, the officials missed the fact that Bowman had possession and ruled a fumble recovered by the Seahawks. So they blew the call, but it was, in fact, non-reviewable, so they didn't blow it a second time by not reviewing the play. Fortunately (in one sense), the blown call didn't cost the 49ers anything since the Seahawks fumbled again on the very next play, and the 49ers recovered the ball a little further from the goal line (somewhere around the 49ers' 6-yard line, wasn't it?) than they would have had the ball had the correct call been made on the Bowman recovery at the 1. So that blown call can't be seen as having any effect on the outcome of the game whatsoever. (The Bowman injury is another matter completely.)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
notahomer wrote:Wow, saw an exec from the officiating department break down two calls (one call each AFC/NFC championships). According to him Welker's pick/rub was NOT pass interference and was a legal play....
Very interesting. I wonder what Bill Belichick has to say about this now!

On the other blown call, the officials missed the fact that Bowman had possession and ruled a fumble recovered by the Seahawks. So they blew the call, but it was, in fact, non-reviewable, so they didn't blow it a second time by not reviewing the play. Fortunately (in one sense), the blown call didn't cost the 49ers anything since the Seahawks fumbled again on the very next play, and the 49ers recovered the ball a little further from the goal line (somewhere around the 49ers' 6-yard line, wasn't it?) than they would have had the ball had the correct call been made on the Bowman recovery at the 1. So that blown call can't be seen as having any effect on the outcome of the game whatsoever. (The Bowman injury is another matter completely.)
Totally agree with what you have posted. That is how I tried to talk about what the officiating department said. What I am saying is that rather than RE-JIGGING the rule too much, make it reviewable so the coach can chuck his flag..........
South Pender
Legend

Here's a Friday morning roundup of all things Seahawks, by Tony Drovetto. Lots of fascinating links and stories in this piece, including a video discussion of the effects of having Percy Harvin in the game and the potential trouble this will cause the Broncos.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... ea460210c9

Interesting to see that the Seahawks, with an average age of 26.4 years, are the second-youngest team to ever reach the Super Bowl. Also, an interesting statistical comparison of Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson.

Lots of good stuff....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Learned something interesting about Pete Carroll the other day. His position is officially Head Coach and Executive Vice President of Football Operations. This latter role makes him, in effect, General Manager as well. The Seahawks have a General Manager, John Schneider (who was hired by Carroll--a reversal of the usual hiring process), but he functions in an advisory role to Carroll, dealing mainly with recruiting. Carroll has the final say in all football matters. It turns out that Carroll is one of only 3 NFL coaches with this range of powers, the other two being Bill Belichick (not surprisingly) and Chip Kelly (which seems very surprising to me, given his lack of time in the NFL).
Last edited by South Pender on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sherman fined for taunting

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=442091
South Pender
Legend

This might be a good time for a look-back to the Seahawks' only previous Super Bowl appearance (they had gone 13-3 in the regular season, same as this year)--eight years ago in 2006, Super Bowl XL (that's 40!), vs. the 11-5 Pittsburgh Steelers at Ford Field in Detroit (a domed stadium). We all remember that the 'Hawks lost that one 23-10. Here are some of the details. First a 10-minute video of the game:

Here's a game recap:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260205023

Interestingly, the Seahawks out-gained the Steelers 396 yards to 339, as Matt Hasselbeck went 26 of 49 for 259 yards to Ben Roethlisberger's 9/21 for 123 yards. (There was also a Steeler gimmick pass play by Antwaan Randle El for 43-yards and a TD to Hines Ward (voted game MVP) that sealed the game for the Steelers. Shaun Alexander gained 95 yards on 20 carries for a 4.75 yards/carry avg. for the Seahawks.

But one of the biggest stories out of SB XL was the lousy officiating that might well have cost the 'Hawks the game--two blown calls in particular. The head official, Bill Leavy later admitted that he'd influenced the outcome of the game through these bad calls and apologized to the Seahawks and their fans. Here's a good summary of this, written by Doug Farrar some time later:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,260901

I particularly liked Farrar's closing paragraph:

"Put simply, the Seahawks didn't play well enough to win Super Bowl XL. They made several crucial mistakes, but it's also correct to say that the Steelers didn't play well enough to win. Officiated correctly, XL probably would have been an ugly war of attrition; a barely-remembered close game that could have gone either way. But because of the calls made, the league's subsequent denial that anything was wrong with those calls, and Leavy's admission of guilt so much later, this game will never go away."

We can only hope that Super Bowl XLVIII (that's 48) in a little over a week's time won't be similarly remembered for bad officiating.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A little levity on a Friday

South Pender
Legend

Since the big game is still a week or so away, take a look at this selection by Brian Lewis, writing for the New York Post, of the 10 best Super Bowl games in history:

http://nypost.com/2014/01/24/the-best-g ... l-history/

A few have some video, with the best, in my opinion, the 9+ minute video of the final 3 minutes of Super Bowl XXIII in 1989 (rated No. 4 in this list), between Bill Walsh's 10-6 49ers and Sam Wyche's 12-4 Bengals. On the field it was Joe Montana vs. Boomer Esiason. The Bengals had lost a previous SB (their first SB game) against the 49ers in 1982 and lost this one 20-16 in what has to be one of the truly great late 4th-quarter drives for a victory.

The 1+ minute video of John Elway's "helicopter" play in SB XXXII against the Packers in 1998 is kind of interesting. Broncos won that one against Brett Favre and the Pack 31-24. This was their first SB win after three losses in the big game. They won the next one too, in 1999 (against the Falcons), for their two SB wins to date.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:....."Put simply, the Seahawks didn't play well enough to win Super Bowl XL. They made several crucial mistakes, but it's also correct to say that the Steelers didn't play well enough to win. Officiated correctly, XL probably would have been an ugly war of attrition; a barely-remembered close game that could have gone either way. But because of the calls made, the league's subsequent denial that anything was wrong with those calls, and Leavy's admission of guilt so much later, this game will never go away."

We can only hope that Super Bowl XLVIII (that's 48) in a little over a week's time won't be similarly remembered for bad officiating.
I disagree that the Seahawks didn't play well enough to win SuperBowl XL. Yes they made crucial mistakes including, IIRC, not challenging one call. BigBen had an awful game. Matt didn't have a great game but he was by far the better QB, IMO. I will never forget Mike Holmgren's comments (paraphrasing) I didn't realize we had to play against the guys in the striped shirts too.

I'm glad the official admitted they'd impact the game. BigBen was given a TD on one plunge and he WASN"T EVEN CLOSE. Well over a yard short. And bad calls seem to balance out but not that game. My best friend is a Steelers fan and he was happy his team won but he admitted WE GOT THE CALLS.

I never want to see a game remembered for its bad officiating. I was worried the NFC Championship might go that way. It didn't IMO, but at the same time, I feel if anything that was a time when the Seahawks got more breaks from the ZEBRAS.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Who are "THE TWELVES"?

Never heard the term before tonight. Apparently it is the name for a Seahawk football fan at Qwest Field. Apparently over 30 000 'twelves' lined the streets in Renton (Seahawks practice facility) and cheered the Hawks on as they rode the busses that will took them to the plane that took them to the Superbowl city. Coach Pete C. is obviously forever grateful for these fans. I know ALL FOOTBALL TEAMS are but Seattle especially so, IMO. I know you shouldn't get into "lets win one for ___" but you realize these players/coaches know their fans want it ALMOST as much as they do. I know the fans may think they want it as badly as the players but IMO, they can't. sure, I'm still a little frustrated about the last Seattle Seahawk Superbowl loss but it doesn't HAUNT me. IMO, there are probably players who are going to be woulda, coulda, shouldaing it for the rest of their lives. You want to go to the Superbowl, play your best and using the process of execution, the big plays take care of themselves and you win. Start thinking too much and MAKING things happen.....? :dizzy:

I hope to be celebrating in just under a weeks time. I know its going to be an enjoyable game. The weather sounds footballish (who knows, could be cold, could be white etc...). I'm going to enjoy it regardless, I just think I'll enjoy it a little more if the Seahawks win. Regardless of who wins, I hope its not a BLOWOUT. Just my :2cents:
South Pender
Legend

Yeah, I think "The Twelves" must be synonymous with the hoards of Seattle Seahawks fans! You know, all the "12th man" stuff. But it's Century Link Field now--used to be Qwest Field until Century Link bought Qwest in 2011. Kind of disgusting, in my opinion, how corporate sponsors attach themselves to teams and stadiums. I'm probably one of the few that was glad that Telus didn't get naming rights at B. C. Place. The game is already more than sufficiently entangled with corporate interests!

Of all the AFC teams, the Broncos certainly aren't one I dislike (like the Pittsburgh Steelers!). I like Peyton Manning, and they have a respectful, responsible, and appropriately behind-the-scenes owner in Pat Bowlen, who isn't a disgusting narcissist like Jerry Jones or a bozo like Dan Snyder. So, if the AFC Champion wins this SB, it won't be all that bad. (I died a thousand deaths when the damn Steelers beat the 'Hawks in 2006.) But, of course, I'm hoping for a Seahawks victory. The betting line is something like Broncos by 2.5, so nearly a toss-up. I don't see a blow-out in this one. Irresistible force against immovable object. Percy Harvin is 100% ready to go and K. J. Wright should be 100% and back at weak-side LB--both good signs for the 'Hawks. Harvin could be the difference between a fairly decent offensive performance and a really good one.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

This is almost a win win game for me. On one hand, first seahawk SB win would be great. OTOH, I am a Peyton fan and I want him to be the first QB to win with 2 teams. I want PM to go down in history as the undisputable best there has ever been. With all due respect to AC, I also want PM to play a few more yrs and be the first to reach 80,000 yards.

Hoping for a great game no matter who wins.

Prediction: Leaning toward Seattle because I think their offense is better than Denver D. Also thinking that with all that has gone right for PM this yr, it would not surprise me if he had an off day by his own standards. Any flaw in the weather also probably benefits Seattle.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
South Pender
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:This is almost a win win game for me. On one hand, first seahawk SB win would be great. OTOH, I am a Peyton fan and I want him to be the first QB to win with 2 teams. I want PM to go down in history as the undisputable best there has ever been. With all due respect to AC, I also want PM to play a few more yrs and be the first to reach 80,000 yards.

Prediction: Leaning toward Seattle because I think their offense is better than Denver D. Also thinking that with all that has gone right for PM this yr, it would not surprise me if he had an off day by his own standards. Any flaw in the weather also probably benefits Seattle.
All good points. Manning has about 65,000 yards now, while AC has 79,800. We'd realistically be looking at 3-4 more seasons (probably 4, unless he's good for 5,000 yds. in each of the next 3) for Manning to reach AC and 80,000 yards. I really wonder whether he has that many years left. I completely agree with you about Manning. He seems like a truly good person, always gracious, with none of this blowhard narcissism we see in so many football stars. Although it's completely irrelevant, I like the goofy side we see of him in his commercials! :wink:

Edit: Just found this piece, by Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and reprinted in the Miami Herald, on Peyton Manning and his thoughts about retirement:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/26/3 ... -with.html
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:.... But it's Century Link Field now--used to be Qwest Field until Century Link bought Qwest in 2011. Kind of disgusting, in my opinion, how corporate sponsors attach themselves to teams and stadiums. I'm probably one of the few that was glad that Telus didn't get naming rights at B. C. Place. The game is already more than sufficiently entangled with corporate interests!......
Yes, and I know that, I just keep forgetting. Its always going to be Qwest Field, even though its actually Century LInk, now. I am thrilled that Telus didn't (or at least not yet :cr: ) get the naming rights........
South Pender wrote:....Of all the AFC teams, the Broncos certainly aren't one I dislike (like the Pittsburgh Steelers!). I like Peyton Manning, and they have a respectful, responsible, and appropriately behind-the-scenes owner in Pat Bowlen, who isn't a disgusting narcissist like Jerry Jones or a bozo like Dan Snyder. So, if the AFC Champion wins this SB, it won't be all that bad. (I died a thousand deaths when the damn Steelers beat the 'Hawks in 2006.) But, of course, I'm hoping for a Seahawks victory. The betting line is something like Broncos by 2.5, so nearly a toss-up. I don't see a blow-out in this one. Irresistible force against immovable object. Percy Harvin is 100% ready to go and K. J. Wright should be 100% and back at weak-side LB--both good signs for the 'Hawks. Harvin could be the difference between a fairly decent offensive performance and a really good one.
Me too on the Broncos. I mean I LOVE the Seahawks. I don't want to have to watch them lose another Superbowl BUT, if they are going to, Broncos would be my choice. I'm thrilled some of the walking wounded for the Hawks are nearly back. Brandon Browner must be just kicking himself. Made some choices that may end up haunting him forever. Champ Bailey is getting HIS FIRST SHOT in this game and he is a purrfect example of a vetran.......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:This is almost a win win game for me. On one hand, first seahawk SB win would be great. OTOH, I am a Peyton fan and I want him to be the first QB to win with 2 teams. I want PM to go down in history as the undisputable best there has ever been. With all due respect to AC, I also want PM to play a few more yrs and be the first to reach 80,000 yards.

Me too. Love Peyton. He's gotta at least tie Eli. Just shows you how football is. I mean Peyton is CLEARLY the better of the two QB's but when you figure in footballs crazy bounces, momentum etc... If you judge greatness by Superbowl rings (I DON'T) then Eli is the greater QB.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Who saw the Pro Bowl as a prelude to the Super Bowl?

It looks like just like the NHL all-star game, the NFL decided to make some twists and add some more interesting elements and that changed the outcome in many ways:

1. Instead of AFC vs. NFC, it was Team Rice vs. Team Sanders.

2. Instead of those high scoring Pro Bowl games over the last several years, a 22-21 win for Team Rice was a relatively low scoring game.

3. For the first time since 1972, a Defense and Offense MVP were selected - reminds me of the 1990 and pre-Grey Cups in which there such two MVP's plus the MVC.

4. Like several NHL all-star game MVP's but unlike NFL, MLB, NBA all-star game MVP's, the offensive Pro Bowl MVP was Nick Foles even though his Team Sanders was on the losing team.

5. And perhaps only in a Pro Bowl would the last play of the game consist of an improbable 67-yard field goal attempt by Justin Tucker that went short and the missed field goal was actually returned for the entire field with the help of the interference by the media who stormed the game and the likely record-setting missed field goal for a touchdown did not count.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。