2013 Wimbledon men's final

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

With a Scotsman winning Wimbledon yesterday for the first time in 117 years, my thoughts immediately went back to the old Monty Python blancmange skit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I did flip back/forth just to see the clinching point. I spotted on the ticker that Murray had won in straight sets early on in the day. Came to CFL kickoff and they were playing championship point. Went on for a bit as it went from three championship points to duece to break. But I knew Murray would pull it off due to seeing the result earlier.....

I USED TO be such a sports junkie. In my teens to mid twenties.... I was glued to Wimbledon, TOurdeFrance and Baseball at this time of year. Now, I'll just catch the highlights thankyou very much. Then again, I took in the full CFL game yesterday and that particular one was an exception that perhaps I should have just save for the highlights too........ :cool: