Canucks trade Schneider

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I agree with the commentators that the Canucks could have demanded more. Good deal for the Devils as they get the replacement for Martin Brodeur.
I don't follow Canuck boards but you read it here on Lionbackers.com that we questioned if it would be better to trade Schneider.

This was a move by a desperate GM who couldn't move the guy.

The failure to get deeper into the post season was fixed by firing AV.
The failure to move Luongo after naming Schneider as their future is another strike against the GM unless Luongo comes back hot with his new HC and they reach the Promised Land next year (Stanley Cup).

That leads me to go back to the comments on another thread about the Esks and Reilly and Nichols with a few thinking the Esks messed up by not naming Reilly their no. 1 the day of the trade. I thought the Esks open competition was the only way to go as Nichols deserved to compete and Reilly has a limited body of work under his belt and they could both have turned out 1A and 1B but for injury.

In the Canucks case they named Schneider no. 1 but had to use Luongo - not sure that was the smartest move - especially as Luongo is stuck here in Vancouver and been dissed by the GM. He's a pro but has he psychologically cut the ties to this city and team?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Reading more on this now and you have to wonder how this is all they got ONE draft pick and nothing else! Nada.

For Mike Gillis to try and have fans forget and bury the Luongo -Scheider fiasco will take as it has for New Jersey law enforcement to find out where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. It just ain't going to occur!

How come they couldn't even get NJ to toss in even a minor league player for their farm club or a water bottle or a few pucks -just anything to make the optics look better? A Big Mac and Cheeseburger with fries on a evening out with Gov. Christie ? A team jersey? Nothing else?

The Sun comments are priceless about the deal with fans posting from their Facebook ID. I liked these two guys' comments-
Dwight Hoyes · University of Winnipeg
Whaaat! Let me get this straight. Gilles & Co. made a stupid 10 year deal with Luongo (this sentiment isn't new by the way) and now can't trade him: because they can't trade Luongo they trade one of the very best young gaoltenders in the NHL. This is all a very bad dream I'd like to wake up from. I also think Gilles & Co. needed a sacrificial lamb so they got rid of Alain Vigneault. I think I'll go get drunk and puke.
Reply · 4 · Like · Follow Post · 5 hours ago

Doug Barry · Burnaby South Secondary School
Wait for me!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Reading more on this now and you have to wonder how this is all they got ONE draft pick and nothing else! Nada.

For Mike Gillis to try and have fans forget and bury the Luongo -Scheider fiasco will take as it has for New Jersey law enforcement to find out where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. It just ain't going to occur!

How come they couldn't even get NJ to toss in even a minor league player for their farm club or a water bottle or a few pucks -just anything to make the optics look better? A Big Mac and Cheeseburger with fries on a evening out with Gov. Christie ? A team jersey? Nothing else?

The Sun comments are priceless about the deal with fans posting from their Facebook ID. I liked these two guys' comments-
Dwight Hoyes · University of Winnipeg
Whaaat! Let me get this straight. Gilles & Co. made a stupid 10 year deal with Luongo (this sentiment isn't new by the way) and now can't trade him: because they can't trade Luongo they trade one of the very best young gaoltenders in the NHL. This is all a very bad dream I'd like to wake up from. I also think Gilles & Co. needed a sacrificial lamb so they got rid of Alain Vigneault. I think I'll go get drunk and puke.
Reply · 4 · Like · Follow Post · 5 hours ago

Doug Barry · Burnaby South Secondary School
Wait for me!
Not necessarily out for the firing of Mike Gillis ...

(5 straight 1st place finishes in the Northwest)

Two things ...

1 When they made the Luongo deal, some considered it clever, circumventing some contract guidelines. The rules changed later, making those contracts albatrosses.

2. The NHL had people believe they were changing toward a skill game, getting away from clutch and grab, away from size over skill. Ooops, they went right back to that.

Detroit got caught out by that also.

I don't really have an emotional oar in this NHL issue, but these two things occur to me. Plus Roberto gives his all. And he performs heroically much of the time. Too bad about those last two games against Boston in the Cup final.

Not a die hard fan ...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Shinkaruk

5'11 175

Another tiny centre.

The Vancouver Smurfs
Hardly a smurf. Bobby Lalonde at 5"5" is a true smurf
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Francesco Aquilini is flying to Florida to begin the fence mending. Seems to me it should be the job of the General Manager. The fact that the owner is going suggest to me that his fingerprints are over this Luongo fiasco ie. signing the long term contract, refusing to buy out Luongo.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Francesco Aquilini is flying to Florida to begin the fence mending. Seems to me it should be the job of the General Manager. The fact that the owner is going suggest to me that his fingerprints are over this Luongo fiasco ie. signing the long term contract, refusing to buy out Luongo.
X2

Also, IMO, its Luongo's fingerprints on the contract too. No one forced him to sign. He took what the market provided. I don't see why he isn't a small part of the reason why he can't be moved now too.

Another personal bugaboo. The 'no-trade' clause. I would rather see a clause where you get an immediate raise if traded. If a player wants to do the 'hometown discount' he's got fewer worries as he's gonna be compensated.

The dollar amount and the no-trade clause are NOT ALL on Gillis, IMO. There's lots of fans who would have screamed had Luongo walked. The Canucks got creative and now its probably backfired. IMO, it doesn't help that the NHL has gone away (as noted by WCJ) from the skill focus. When the so-called face of the game, Crosby is trying to do cheapshots on another teams goalie, I feel its probably time to get that pendulum back towards honouring the talents of hockey players.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Shinkaruk

5'11 175

Another tiny centre.

The Vancouver Smurfs
Hardly a smurf. Bobby Lalonde at 5"5" is a true smurf
Different generation for LaLonde.

Now we have guys like Joe Thornton at 6'4, 235. Against that, IMO, Shinkaruk is a Smurf. 60 pound difference.

Even Horvat, at 6', 200 or 210 as in some accounts, is not Big, by today's standards.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

“Three years ago, we had planned it. Then Cory became a great young goaltender. Roberto took us to the seventh game of the Stanley Cup Final and won a gold medal. His résumé is impeccable,” said Gillis. “Our plan three years ago was to develop Cory and move him for a high pick, and that’s what we ultimately did.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 27069.html

Gets crazier by the minute. If the Canucks' plan was to move Schneider all along then why did they named him #1 heading into this season and stating that they're trading Luongo. Plot thickens.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

then that dumb ass Jay Janower at global says we coulda traded Corey to Edmonton for a whole bunch of first round picks plus some prospects. why wouldn't we take the best offer and get to ventilate the oilers at the same time. it's a mystery.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

1greatmysticbushape wrote:then that dumb ass Jay Janower at global says we coulda traded Corey to Edmonton for a whole bunch of first round picks plus some prospects. why wouldn't we take the best offer and get to ventilate the oilers at the same time. it's a mystery.
I don't think that was the case. Edmonton might've been willing to offer up #7 overall and a later round pick or picks maybe. More than 1 first? No way. I have heard some speculation that what might've been offered by Edmonton (1st, 2nd, prospect) was contingent on the player they Oil wanted already being gone and Nurse was the guy they wanted.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heard the Oilers' offer was a 1st and 2nd round pick plus a prospect. Guess Gillis didn't want to trade Schneider to a team in the same conference.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

1greatmysticbushape wrote:then that dumb ass Jay Janower at global says we coulda traded Corey to Edmonton for a whole bunch of first round picks plus some prospects. why wouldn't we take the best offer and get to ventilate the oilers at the same time. it's a mystery.
One of the TSN panel (McKenzie) said that there were a number of other GMs at the draft on the announcement of the trade were muttering that they would easily have beaten the NJ offer. I suspect Edmonton is a just a bit too close to Vancouver to make that workable and less embarrassing as if Edmtn were to beat Vancouver using Schneider - the owner of the Canucks would have apoplexy.

Talk about desperation to get a drafted player into their line up - but Horvat's just 18. Hope he doesn't get messed up early.

Here's how bad it got by the end: The team's owner had to go to Luongo's house in Florida to personally tell him about the deal in the seconds before it happened, while Schneider was left to find out about it on television, even though the deal was apparently agreed the night before.

The owner at Roberto's house shortly before the trade but Schneider hearing it on TV could not have been done by the GM - he had to be at the draft table. This owner is a bit more involved I think and he can tell Luongo how he can expect to be treated by the club.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Heard the Oilers' offer was a 1st and 2nd round pick plus a prospect. Guess Gillis didn't want to trade Schneider to a team in the same conference.
stupid reason.

however, at least I can happily cheer for schneider in new jersey, once Brodeur steps down.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Heard the Oilers' offer was a 1st and 2nd round pick plus a prospect. Guess Gillis didn't want to trade Schneider to a team in the same conference.
stupid reason.

however, at least I can happily cheer for schneider in new jersey, once Brodeur steps down.
I watched the last four or so picks of the draft and thats a funny story too. NJ Devils did what some draft hosts do and stole the show with some of their moves. Starting off obviously with the trade for Schneider. But the Devils traded for a late pick and had Martin Brodeur make the draft call and it was for another goalie, Brodeur's son (Anthony, IIRC). So, Brodeurs son is a long shot but then again, right now Schneid's went from working his way to being the number one guy to being sandwiched between two Brodeurs...... Now his son has got some 'maturing' to do but I kinda feel sorry for Schneider in a way. Oh well, thats why its a business..........

As for the other GM's who could beat the Devils offer.... Its a much on them for not making the offer. There was blood in the water on this, IMO. Everybody knew the Canucks had a weak hand. Its your fault for not doing better. Captain Lou deserves credit as a cagey vetran, IMO.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

I would have liked to see Schnieder in Edmonton, he would have been fun to watch and the games with Edmonton would have been electric which is what you'd think the fans would like. oh well.