Canucks trade Schneider

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

if he had to go, I would have liked to see him in philly. Surely with the need they have, something better could have been worked out.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:if he had to go, I would have liked to see him in philly. Surely with the need they have, something better could have been worked out.
Goaltending in Philly has been a chronic weak spot. In 46 years, they have had two consistent and reliable goalies: Bernie Parent and Ron Hextall. And I'm not so sure about Hextall. Pelle Lindbergh might have been the third if the New Jersey cops had caught him and DUI'd him in time.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:if he had to go, I would have liked to see him in philly. Surely with the need they have, something better could have been worked out.
Goaltending in Philly has been a chronic weak spot. In 46 years, they have had two consistent and reliable goalies: Bernie Parent and Ron Hextall. And I'm not so sure about Hextall. Pelle Lindbergh might have been the third if the New Jersey cops had caught him and DUI'd him in time.
and yet, they have managed to win more reg season games than anyone else in that time. go figure.

Hextall was fun. I miss his antics
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
and yet, they have managed to win more reg season games than anyone else in that time. go figure.

Hextall was fun. I miss his antics
Note the emphasis added. I'm too lazy/time-constrained to look it up, but their regular season success has usually been followed up by SFA in the playoffs. Sort of like the Blues, who set a record for consecutive playoff appearances (which Detroit may have since broken) with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Hacksaw was one of a kind, an eccentric bordering on psychotic who usually managed to back it up with his play. Hockey has few people like him now.

But my favourite Hextall story was in the 1994 series when he was playing for the Rangers against the Canucks. I can't remember why but the Canucks fans were giving him a hard time over something, and Dick Irvin (I think) said "they should be nicer to him, the last time the Rangers won the Stanley Cup his grandfather was playing for them". One of the best lines ever by a HNIC announcer.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reports that Vincent Lecavalier has agreed to a #22.5 5 year deal with the Philadelphia Flyers.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

just a few of my fav hextall moments.

I normally dont like goonerism and violence in hockey, but he was so darn entertaining it was like being roasted by don rickles

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The owner of the Canucks Aquilini flew to Florida to meet with Luongo. Now Tortorella is in Florida meeting with Luongo. Seems the fence mending is well under way. Where is Mike Gillis in all of this ? Shouldn't he be the one meeting with Luongo ??
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:The owner of the Canucks Aquilini flew to Florida to meet with Luongo. Now Tortorella is in Florida meeting with Luongo. Seems the fence mending is well under way. Where is Mike Gillis in all of this ? Shouldn't he be the one meeting with Luongo ??
The free agency period starts Friday morning; maybe he's busy working on that?

The folks at TSN/TSN2 certainly are. They've got, count 'em, 25 on-air staff/panelists* deployed to cover the first 8-1/2 hours of it, from 9am right through to the FNF pre-game show. Perhaps to guarantee themselves an actual transaction to talk about, TSN will buy out one of them after twenty minutes of speculation on who it's gonna be.

*James Duthie, Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun, Ryan Rishaug, Ray Ferraro, Aaron Ward, Pierre McGuire, Mike Johnson, Craig Button, Marc Crawford, Jeff O'Neill, Steve Kouleas, Dave Hodge, Dave Naylor, Michael Farber, Steve Simmons, Bruce Arthur, Perry Solkowski, Jermain Franklin, Sara Orlesky, Mark Masters, Matthew Scianitti, Brent Wallace, and John Lu
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Complete overkill just like the trade deadline. It's not considered to be an outstanding crop of free agents.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Complete overkill just like the trade deadline. It's not considered to be an outstanding crop of free agents.
At least with the trade deadline the proceedings have a firm denouement what with all trade activity having a decreed endtime. With free agency it's just the opposite, a firm start and a very vague conclusion, so the chances that you'll get to see much in the way of compelling television are far less.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This will get Luongo to his senses for sure!!!!
‘Play or not play:’ The choice is simple for Luongo, Gillis says

By Jason Botchford, The Province July 5, 2013 6:05 PM

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Play+ ... story.html

f Roberto Luongo is considering his options, GM Mike Gillis made them pretty clear Friday.

During his post-free agency press conference, Gillis was asked about Luongo’s options after the team traded away Cory Schneider.

“Play or not play,” Gillis said bluntly.
The problem with telling it like it is. With these 4 words said bluntly does anyone think Luongo will feel good about the stuff at the bottom of the story?

Why guys like Gillis feel the need to tell the media what the player already knows is nuts.

It is not at all helpful and has undermined both his owner and the new HC who just said all the right things about Luongo.

I don't buy the BS about how the situation changed. Wasn't it Gillis who got Luongo into this deal? Other teams seem to have less issues than Vancouver. The Ballard pay and not play was equally on his shoulders too along with the buy out.

An astute GM would not have done this IMO as the other owners will come back and screw you - as they did.

Code: Select all

The so-called Luongo Rule in the new CBA added a cap recapture feature designed to penalize teams which signed players to deals longer than eight years to try and circumvent the cap.
Tortorella on his Luongo views comes across like Mother Theresa compared to Gillis.

I'd be very annoyed if I was the Canucks owner as those four words are not only unnecessary they are just plain stupid for the architect of this mess to be saying as well as this kind of negates the owner's trip to his home in Florida.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

My oh my. You need to shut down the league for months and fix a 'broken' CBA. And the first free agent period since contracts have been reigned in? A record $389 million! Nearly double the amount of last summer, which admittedly was a prelockout free agency. I'm not buying what the NHL owners are selling. I know what their problems are and its them.

I guess its going to help because some teams will not have to spend to keep up with the Jones but only because the Jones are not allowed to spend as much. I have no doubt that teams like Vancouver need to manage a few things. You need to free up cap space so you can negotiate with your Tanev's etc... but if you had tried to keep Luongo/Schneider, teams would have been able to test the waters knowing your cap flexiblity is tough.

I didn't see/hear much of the free agent coverage but what I did hear is that 'term' is important. The actual dollars matter but more years also helps. Players/NHL GM's make the market. The only way we fans can impact the market is not watching. I try not too but I haven't been too successful. Thankfully I have made sure that the CFL/Lions get the vast majority of my actual $$$.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

They should rename Free Agency Frenzy to General Managers Gone Insane. Some of the contracts are absurd. You can't tell me that Nathan Horton is worth the money Columbus is paying him. Someone please remind me why there was a NHL Lockout
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:They should rename Free Agency Frenzy to General Managers Gone Insane. Some of the contracts are absurd. You can't tell me that Nathan Horton is worth the money Columbus is paying him. Someone please remind me why there was a NHL Lockout
And worse still the Canucks can't play and compete with the Jones' as they've snookered themselves with end runs on the old CBA.

In pro sports it gets made worse as owners often are huge fans want to win - thinking that emptying the bank is going to make a winner.

I'd prefer to support an organization that showed restraint in the market place and still finished high up but might not win the cups.

I think pro soccer in England has got the super rich and the also rans and it is harming their brand and the game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Mega sports ...

Millionaire players and billionaire owners.

The money management is as important as the personnel judgment decisions.

I have no animosity towards Mike Gillis, after 5 conference titles, and one Cup final. But I think he is facing huge, huge pressures.

I kindof think Roberto will play here, and be relatively happy to do so. This is all about business, and no one set out to disrespect him. He liked the contract at one time.

Free agency? Not really interested all that much.