Canucks trade Schneider

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:And the first free agent period since contracts have been reigned in? A record $389 million! Nearly double the amount of last summer, which admittedly was a prelockout free agency.
And from what I understand that's just today. It doesn't include any of the cash spent on buyouts or contracts for pending/would-be UFAs who'd already re-signed with their incumbent teams and it certainly doesn't include all the contracts yet to come in the next three months before the puck drops on 2013/14.

Pretty much all the owners accomplished with the lockout was to restrict contract length to seven years (eight for re-signed free agents) and the distribution of dollars over multi-year deals to keep each year close to the average. I just posted in another thread about how meaningless averages can be and NHL owners proved it with that change.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ryane Clowe didn't score a single goal with San Jose last year. After being traded to the Rangers he scored a grand total of 3 goals. The Devils rewarded him with a 5 year $24.25 million contract. Not bad for an underachiever.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: And from what I understand that's just today. ....

...I just posted in another thread about how meaningless averages can be and NHL owners proved it with that change.
Yes, I was under the impression the $389 million figure was JUST FOR TODAY (July 5). Makes one wonder what the new record will be once the owners/GM's are really ABLE to open the wallets up (sarcasm) due to the cap going up!

Yes, IMO, different stats help tell the story you want told. Averages can be one of those stats, IMO.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Just like Lions fans have no hard feelings in long-term ex-Lions wearing a different uniform (i.e. Geroy Simon) and gave him a warm ovation, it looks like the Canucks fans feel the same way for Cory Schneider by giving him a nice ovation when he took the ice at Rogers Centre again last night.

[video][/video]
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

stupid media. province sports page headline - luongo beats Schneider. I am willing to bet he never laid a glove on him. Also willing to bet neither won scored or shot the puck at the other.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:stupid media. province sports page headline - luongo beats Schneider. I am willing to bet he never laid a glove on him. Also willing to bet neither won scored or shot the puck at the other.
The headline is all about grabbing eyeballs and selling papers. The niceties you're talking about go out the window. The main story is the Canucks (and esp Luongo) facing their former goalie/teammate for the first time and that's what this headline succinctly captures. If it just said "Canucks defeat Devils" they prob would have lost out on this word-of-mouth that you otherwise likely wouldn't have bothered coming on here with.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:stupid media. province sports page headline - luongo beats Schneider. I am willing to bet he never laid a glove on him. Also willing to bet neither won scored or shot the puck at the other.
The headline is all about grabbing eyeballs and selling papers. The niceties you're talking about go out the window. The main story is the Canucks (and esp Luongo) facing their former goalie/teammate for the first time and that's what this headline succinctly captures. If it just said "Canucks defeat Devils" they prob would have lost out on this word-of-mouth that you otherwise likely wouldn't have bothered coming on here with.
I know all that. I just hate, in general, the media so much that I jump at any chance to put them down.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
I know all that. I just hate, in general, the media so much that I jump at any chance to put them down.
Which means you're only playing into their game. The opposite of love is not hate. It's indifference. I actually share your distaste for some aspects of media but it's just not worth the waste of energy getting worked up over it so I try not to do so.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I watched the game as I worked and I thought that it could not have worked out nicer for the Canucks and Luongo in the W.

So far so good with Torts as their new HC. He seems to getting things going BUT his style does wear out on the players as in NYR. Also if he is guilty of just riding hot players that doesn't suggest after 80 games plus the team is going to win the SC.

I find it odd that hockey has become at the pro level (given how it is watered down) to where you have top 6 fwds and the concept of "secondary scoring" and where the 3rd and 4th line guys may or may not see much ice and how by the pros they can only play with certain other players on the ice with them.

But so far so good with the Canucks. Long season.

Schneider didnt hurt his team and that was good for him too but more important for the Canucks and Luongo that he played well.

If the media ignored that story line of these two I'd have been aghast and perplexed as it is a good story and was bizarre in the end that they had to trade the guy they really wanted to keep.

Headlines are to grab attention and are not written by the author of the story - at times there is a disconnect. These two in it doesn't surprise me.

In football the two QBs meeting after the game is an oddity too as they don't ever go on the field at the same time any more. Old days they did as QBs like Jackie Parker and Kenny Ploen played in other positions in the same game (off and def. or QB and RB). Media always play up the individual story lines like this.

Luongo was right. Schn. kept his team in the game with some good saves. It was a good game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Hey KIA, remember how we had this little exchange above back in early October, less than two months ago — one that you initiated? Seems you were really frustrated there with the "stupid media" for irresponsibly "grabbing eyeballs" (as I put it) at the expense of the truth of the matter — all to suit their own agenda, and you even made a point of voicing a pretty intense distaste for the media.

So you see, this is why I'm kind of baffled here that, less than two months later, you're only too eager to extend a free pass to the "stupid media" that you "hate... so much" over the way they presented JT's football comment from Monday. This opportunity was frankly as good as "any chance" to "jump at" in order "to put them down".

I guess for whatever reason — I dunno, maybe you have some sort of instinctive reflex that makes you lash out disproportionately over even the most meagre of perceived slights to your sensibilities — your hatred of JT here was perhaps just a little bit greater, just enough to trump your media hatred.

Or — just throwing this out there as another possible theory — perhaps you happen to feel that, at the some point in the last eight weeks, the media somehow (perhaps in reaction to your post above?) magically cleaned up their whole act and everything they present is now completely on the level. Yessiree, Bob: the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

*LOL*

Let me repeat: the media are only concerned about presenting the story in whatever way suits their own agenda. And if the audience gets played? No big deal.

[video][/video]
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj, I am somewhat wowed that you went to the trouble to dig this up just to try to make some point re another thread.

first, I don't hate JT. Had no opinion or feeling about him whatsoever before this incident.

second, my judgement of JT re this incident in no way expresses any different opinion about the media in general.

Unless the media actually faked the video, they are a non factor in my judgement of what I saw and heard.

the way you are dogging me about this seems to indicate that JT is some sort of personal hero of yours.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:sj, I am somewhat wowed that you went to the trouble to dig this up just to try to make some point re another thread.
Dug up? It was from less than two months ago, and in terms of recency of last post, which is how these threads are sorted on the main page coming into each room, it was like the fifth one on the list before I added my post this morning — this wasn't something I had to click through twenty pages and five years' worth of posts to find. Yeah, I dug this up all right — the same way you "dug up" the spoon in plain view from your kitchen drawer this morning to stir your coffee. And in terms of making points, you're the one who started this whole JT discussion, three days after the fact, because hey, I guess you had a point to make, too. A pretty invalid one as it turns out, but a point nonetheless, I suppose.
first, I don't hate JT. Had no opinion or feeling about him whatsoever before this incident.
Fine, but it only makes your stance doubly perplexing. Because if you really did have an axe to grind with him, then I could kind of see you putting aside your self-professed distaste for the media to lash out at him. But by your own admission this is not the case. So it does present this rather awkward inconsistency on your part. An inconsistency whereby how, for one story you focus on the media's role in its presentation, yet you completely ignore it in the presentation of another story. An inconsistency for which you have yet to offer any convincing resolution.
second, my judgement of JT re this incident in no way expresses any different opinion about the media in general.
You COMPLETELY missed my point. Two months ago you *beeotch* about how you felt the media misrepresented Schneider's first game as a Devil against the Canucks. Now this week you go on some rant based on something the media presented to you, but you inexplicably make no such similar attempt this time to consider how the media framed it. To the contrary, when this point was brought to your attention within mere hours, you deliberately refused to consider it.
Unless the media actually faked the video, they are a non factor in my judgement of what I saw and heard.
Who said anything about fakery? Did you watch the 14-second video I attached to my last post? Does it not illuminate for you how easily the media can run a three-second sound bite without any context and have its message completely misrepresented? Did you not draw the same conclusion from the half-dozen image macros I posted in your thread — that half the message is not the full message? And this has been my main point from word one throughout this entire discussion.

Here's another example. Let's say I recorded a friend of yours saying, "This CFL totally sucks! Can't we just use a regular light bulb?" From the context provided by the second sentence — you did read the second sentence, right? — it's clear he's talking about compact fluorescent lamps, not the Canadian Football League. But what if I were to chop off that second sentence and play back to you only the first bit? If your current stance against JT is anything to go by, you'd probably throw a childish tantrum and declare your now former friend on your *poop* list for life. Then when I offer to let you find out the rest of what he said, you'd stamp your feet, close your eyes, cover your ears and start singing "LA LA LA LA LA LA". Then after calming down from ten minutes of this, you'd be all, no way, I heard what he said, "CFL sucks", no way he can climb down from such a direct insult, blah, blah, blah. Presto — just like that, a friendship ended over a silly misunderstanding worthy of a Three's Company script.
the way you are dogging me about this seems to indicate that JT is some sort of personal hero of yours.
I'm not dogging you specifically. I'm dogging your bullsh**. This is what we do around here. When we disagree with someone, we say so and (here's the crucial part) we back it up with reasons why. If you've got a problem with this, then I respectfully and humbly suggest you stop posting bullsh**.

As for JT he means nothing to me one way or the other. This is solely about the facts. Facts that you have repeatedly, deliberately, willfully ignored. Likely because you have painted yourself into a corner with your knee-jerk overreaction. One that I have so singularly exposed as having no merit, that you are left with no face-saving option. So you choose to ignore the evidence against your stance in the hope that if you just keep repeating your outrage it'll eventually stick. Well, I have news for you: your outrage is coated in teflon and it ain't stickin' to anything.

The fact is, you have presented little to no factual ammunition in this debate. If there were a pie chart made up to show the share of facts presented by each of us, it wouldn't even look like a pie chart. It would just look like my pie.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:sj, I am somewhat wowed that you went to the trouble to dig this up just to try to make some point re another thread.
Dug up? It was from less than two months ago, and in terms of recency of last post, which is how these threads are sorted on the main page coming into each room, it was like the fifth one on the list before I added my post this morning — this wasn't something I had to click through twenty pages and five years' worth of posts to find. Yeah, I dug this up all right — the same way you "dug up" the spoon in plain view from your kitchen drawer this morning to stir your coffee. And in terms of making points, you're the one who started this whole JT discussion, three days after the fact, because hey, I guess you had a point to make, too. A pretty invalid one as it turns out, but a point nonetheless, I suppose.
Fine, but it only makes your stance doubly perplexing. Because if you really did have an axe to grind with him, then I could kind of see you putting aside your self-professed distaste for the media to lash out at him. But by your own admission this is not the case. So it does present this rather awkward inconsistency on your part. An inconsistency whereby how, for one story you focus on the media's role in its presentation, yet you completely ignore it in the presentation of another story. An inconsistency for which you have yet to offer any convincing resolution.
You COMPLETELY missed my point. Two months ago you *beeotch* about how you felt the media misrepresented Schneider's first game as a Devil against the Canucks. Now this week you go on some rant based on something the media presented to you, but you inexplicably make no such similar attempt this time to consider how the media framed it. To the contrary, when this point was brought to your attention within mere hours, you deliberately refused to consider it.
Who said anything about fakery? Did you watch the 14-second video I attached to my last post? Does it not illuminate for you how easily the media can run a three-second sound bite without any context and have its message completely misrepresented? Did you not draw the same conclusion from the half-dozen image macros I posted in your thread — that half the message is not the full message? And this has been my main point from word one throughout this entire discussion.

Here's another example. Let's say I recorded a friend of yours saying, "This CFL totally sucks! Can't we just use a regular light bulb?" From the context provided by the second sentence — you did read the second sentence, right? — it's clear he's talking about compact fluorescent lamps, not the Canadian Football League. But what if I were to chop off that second sentence and play back to you only the first bit? If your current stance against JT is anything to go by, you'd probably throw a childish tantrum and declare your now former friend on your *poop* list for life. Then when I offer to let you find out the rest of what he said, you'd stamp your feet, close your eyes, cover your ears and start singing "LA LA LA LA LA LA". Then after calming down from ten minutes of this, you'd be all, no way, I heard what he said, "CFL sucks", no way he can climb down from such a direct insult, blah, blah, blah. Presto — just like that, a friendship ended over a silly misunderstanding worthy of a Three's Company script.
I'm not dogging you specifically. I'm dogging your bullsh**. This is what we do around here. When we disagree with someone, we say so and (here's the crucial part) we back it up with reasons why. If you've got a problem with this, then I respectfully and humbly suggest you stop posting bullsh**.

As for JT he means nothing to me one way or the other. This is solely about the facts. Facts that you have repeatedly, deliberately, willfully ignored. Likely because you have painted yourself into a corner with your knee-jerk overreaction. One that I have so singularly exposed as having no merit, that you are left with no face-saving option. So you choose to ignore the evidence against your stance in the hope that if you just keep repeating your outrage it'll eventually stick. Well, I have news for you: your outrage is coated in teflon and it ain't stickin' to anything.

The fact is, you have presented little to no factual ammunition in this debate. If there were a pie chart made up to show the share of facts presented by each of us, it wouldn't even look like a pie chart. It would just look like my pie.
I surrender
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:I surrender
Wow, I must confess with all due respect KIA, you've surprised me with this completely unexpected turn of events.

Just to be clear, does this mean you have withdrawn/abandoned your stated views on JT?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:I surrender
Wow, I must confess with all due respect KIA, you've surprised me with this completely unexpected turn of events.

Just to be clear, does this mean you have withdrawn/abandoned your stated views on JT?
sorry, it just means You debated it better than me.

However, if you ever meet the guy, assuming you haven't, and pretend to be American and ask him such questions as how he likes it in Canada, etc, and then casually throw in something about what he thinks of Canadian football, and subsequently get a more positive answer than negative, then I will admit to being wrong and give everything you say from then on the benefit of the doubt.

I cant help what I believe, I just cant defend it very well. At least not this time.

I do however admit that you have succeeding in causing just a tiny bit of doubt to creep in.