Vladimir Putin denies reports he stole Super Bowl ring

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06/16 ... bowl-ring/
Vladimir Putin denies reports he stole an NFL Super Bowl ring from New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft
National Post Staff | 13/06/16 | Last Updated: 13/06/17 9:29 AM ET

Russian President Vladimir Putin is denying insinuations that he stole New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft’s Super Bowl ring that’s now on display in the Kremlin, but says he’s ready to buy him another ring as a gift.

Putin was reacting Sunday through a spokesman to a New York Post story quoting remarks made by Kraft at an awards gala at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel last Thursday.

“I took out the ring and showed it to (Putin). And he put it on and he goes, ‘I can kill someone with this ring,”’ Kraft said, as quoted by the Post. “I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out.”

The diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring worth about $25,000 changed hands while Kraft was visiting St. Petersburg, Russia, in 2005 with an American business delegation that met Putin. At the time, Kraft had said he gave the ring to Putin as a gift.

But the Post story quoted Kraft as saying at Carnegie Hall’s Medal of Excellence gala that he had an “emotional tie to the ring” and wanted it back, but the White House intervened and said it would be in the interest of U.S.-Russian relations to claim it was a gift.

Putin arrived in London on Sunday to meet with British Prime Minister David Cameron, and Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, was asked about the Post story.

“Back in 2005 I stood behind the president’s back and I saw how that ring was presented to him. All that talk about some kind of pressure that was exerted on him (Kraft) should be the subject of a detailed talk with psychoanalysts, I think,” Peskov told The Associated Press.

“At the same time, I am aware that this gentleman (Kraft) is feeling such a horrible pain about the 2005 loss,” Peskov said. “The president will be ready to send him another ring as a gift, which he (Putin) can buy with his own money.”

Stacey James, a spokesperson for the Kraft Group, the holding company for Kraft’s business ventures, including the Patriots, said Sunday that the Post article shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

“It’s a humorous, anecdotal story that Robert retells for laughs,” James said in a statement. “He loves that his ring is at the Kremlin, and, as he stated back in 2005, he continues to have great respect for Russia and the leadership of President Putin. In particular, he credits President Putin for modernizing the Russian economy. ”

The statement added that “an added benefit from the attention this story gathered eight years ago was the creation of some Patriots fan clubs in Russia.”

The Super Bowl ring is on display in the Kremlin library along with other gifts to the Russian leader, according to Peskov.

Kraft can take some consolation because he has two other Super Bowl rings given to him for his team’s other NFL championships.
Is this an example of life imitating art?

[video][/video]
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

That is, indeed, a strange story. I suspect it was merely a misunderstanding: Putin thought it was a gift from Kraft. I was a little disappointed in Kraft's revelation of this event. He should have let it go, have a good laugh with his companions, and pick up another one for himself when he got home. God knows he can afford it!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Mega-rich football club owner shows off his ring to Putin.

Putin, the Lord Mayor of all he Perceives in Russia, is used to being given gifts. All the time. Everywhere. Hmm .... nice ring. Right into my pocket. LOL

Kraft goes ... Uh Oh. Hmmmm ... And now Putin is walking away, surrounded by body guards. Oh well, Bye Bye, ring.

And language difference (and cultural difference) would be a problem.

Kraft stupidity (Drop a bauble into the hand of a Prince?). Putin greed. Kraft wants some payback. Finally tells his story. Some shame for Putin. ("I did not steal the ring. I will replace the ring at my own expense.") Some entertainment for the tabloids. Not a bad outcome. LOL

If I am ever in Russia (not likely), I will take a look at the ring on display in one of Putin's museums. :wink:
South Pender
Legend

I don't know that I'd completely agree with this assessment of Putin (greed). As noted, it's a different culture, and Putin probably legitimately thought it was meant as a gift. Putin, with his incredible wealth, certainly doesn't need the ring, and may well have just put it away out of a lack of interest--seeing it as an appropriate gesture from a high-level visitor to Russia. In my opinion, the fault lies with Kraft. He should have been aware of Russian customs when he handed the ring to Putin, and, if not, someone (maybe from the State Department) certainly should have straightened him out about Russian customs. For Kraft to now accuse Putin of being a thief is, in my opinion, low-rent. How hard would it be for Kraft to quietly give himself another just like it and get the hell out of the spotlight. I don't see shame for Putin (not that I like the guy!), but rather for Kraft.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I don't know that I'd completely agree with this assessment of Putin (greed). As noted, it's a different culture, and Putin probably legitimately thought it was meant as a gift. Putin, with his incredible wealth, certainly doesn't need the ring, and may well have just put it away out of a lack of interest--seeing it as an appropriate gesture from a high-level visitor to Russia. In my opinion, the fault lies with Kraft. He should have been aware of Russian customs when he handed the ring to Putin, and, if not, someone (maybe from the State Department) certainly should have straightened him out about Russian customs. For Kraft to now accuse Putin of being a thief is, in my opinion, low-rent. How hard would it be for Kraft to quietly give himself another just like it and get the hell out of the spotlight. I don't see shame for Putin (not that I like the guy!), but rather for Kraft.

A little shame for the both the rich and the powerful. Entertainment for the masses, including myself.

Putin's motives would not be questioned as much in Russia as they would be in the States. No doubt in my mind that he doesn't like being called a thief in the media. I see it as a misunderstanding too. And yet Putin was pretty quick to pocket the Super Bowl ring, which would look good in his museum, without being clear on Kraft's intentions. (Neither man was following State protocol for gifts. No covering document, no gift box, off Kraft's finger, I expect, into Putin's hand for a look). It seems to me Putin is not as aware of the power of the Western media, and its ability to affect even the most powerful of men.

We do not differ much in our views of this situation. I do see some shame for Putin, though, in his disavowal of theft, and his offer to replace the ring.

Score one for Western media IMO.

Entertaining shame for both men IMO ...
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Whether or not Putin acted with malice, it seems rather convenient of him, based on media accounts, to surround himself with henchmen and beat a hasty exit just moments after pocketing the ring. At least that's the way it sounds from all the stories.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

These 'championship' rings mean so much, even to the guy footing the bill for the team/rings. I wonder how much is the fact it was his personal ring? I mean the value is something he probably makes in profits at a company without batting an eye. I still think it has to be a misunderstanding, nothing more. I still understand why Kraft would be perturbed even though the financial cost is not worth worrying about when you have the kind of bucks he's got. Since the Bush WHite house may have hinted 'just let it go' I hope they gave him a tax writeoff for that year.......
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:Whether or not Putin acted with malice, it seems rather convenient of him, based on media accounts, to surround himself with henchmen and beat a hasty exit just moments after pocketing the ring. At least that's the way it sounds from all the stories.
Henchmen? Well, I guess the media would use that term to stir things up. When the US President meets with others, his "henchmen" are called the Secret Service and they stay pretty close to him too! We should never doubt the media's ability to turn an innocent misunderstanding into a global controversy--sells papers and gets TV viewers!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Whether or not Putin acted with malice, it seems rather convenient of him, based on media accounts, to surround himself with henchmen and beat a hasty exit just moments after pocketing the ring. At least that's the way it sounds from all the stories.
Henchmen? Well, I guess the media would use that term to stir things up. When the US President meets with others, his "henchmen" are called the Secret Service and they stay pretty close to him too! We should never doubt the media's ability to turn an innocent misunderstanding into a global controversy--sells papers and gets TV viewers!
I suppose that may have been a loaded term on my part. Handlers? Security?

Anyway the most striking part of this whole story (for me) was its resemblance to the scene from the 1998 Simpsons episode "The Trouble with Trillions", which I already posted: a wealthy American businessman travels with a prized possession to a foreign country that has at least a history, if not a present, of poor US diplomatic relations. The leader of such country is handed the possession for up close inspection with the understanding from the businessman that it is to be returned immediately thereafter, but the leader fails to do this and keeps it for himself. (Although in Monty Burns's case, the trillion dollar bill was ill-gotten gains: money that he embezzled in the 1940s after being entrusted by President Truman to deliver it to post-war Europe, presumably as part of the Marshall Plan.)
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
South Pender wrote:
I suppose that may have been a loaded term on my part. Handlers? Security?

Anyway the most striking part of this whole story (for me) was its resemblance to the scene from the 1998 Simpsons episode "The Trouble with Trillions", which I already posted: a wealthy American businessman travels with a prized possession to a foreign country that has at least a history, if not a present, of poor US diplomatic relations. The leader of such country is handed the possession for up close inspection with the understanding from the businessman that it is to be returned immediately thereafter, but the leader fails to do this and keeps it for himself. (Although in Monty Burns's case, the trillion dollar bill was ill-gotten gains: money that he embezzled in the 1940s after being entrusted by President Truman to deliver it to post-war Europe, presumably as part of the Marshall Plan.)
That's a funny parallel. Just for the record, I have no use for Putin. I think he's a thug (formerly KGB) in the mold of the earlier Communist thugs who ran the Soviet Union, and has dragged Russia back into the Cold War stance of aggressiveness towards the West and constant malicious meddling in world affairs. He's a threat, in my opinion, to peace in the Middle East and elsewhere.

However, in the present case, my theory is that this was an innocent misunderstanding. It may be that, in the Russian culture, when someone hands you a bauble, it's considered a gift. Kraft wouldn't necessarily know this. So, when Putin says he didn't steal the ring, this is the truth in his mind. He thought that it was intended for him to keep. Evidently, in the Kraft camp, this was taken as a somewhat humorous incident. Obviously, he can easily replace the ring (he's worth trillions), and may even have had a few extras made in 2005. Further, my theory is that the media got hold of the story and blew it up into a much bigger deal than it really was. Sensationalism has now become the hallmark of modern media reporting. News has become infotainment (except, as one example, for PBS--the only channel I regularly watch each evening for the news), and getting people's dander up is the name of the game.